PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Barry's return date uncertain

Spurs Brazil
01-12-2008, 06:45 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA011208_SpursNotes.en.1352c022.html

Barry's return date uncertain

Web Posted: 01/11/2008 11:09 PM CST

Mike Monroe
Express-News Staff Writer

Brent Barry won't suit up against the Timberwolves tonight, but he is cautiously optimistic he may be able to return when the Spurs play the Philadelphia 76ers at the AT&T Center on Monday.

Barry already has missed seven games after tearing a muscle in his left calf in the Spurs' game against the Chicago Bulls on Dec. 26. Coach Gregg Popovich had said Barry was ticketed for a full practice session Friday, but the Spurs did little more than specific preparation for the Timberwolves in a relatively short session.

“I did a little bit of one-on-one,” Barry said, “but mostly I had to spend some more delightful time with Brungy (strength and conditioning coach Mike Brungardt).”

The Spurs' most accurate %3-point shooter, at 45.3 percent, Barry sweated through a conditioning session with Brungardt wearing a neoprene sleeve on his left calf. He said the injured muscle has responded to treatment and rehabilitation work.

“All I can tell you is it's starting to feel better and I'm getting closer to sniffing the court again,” Barry said. “When that is I don't know.

“Hopefully, I'll be able to full-contact practice on Sunday in between these next two games, and I'll be back for the Philly game.”

Mixed result? In discussing the Timberwolves, who have the NBA's worst record, both Michael Finley and Bruce Bowen warned that the Spurs needed to take seriously the threat presented by a young, hungry team.

Finley, though, overstated the threat.

“As long as we're the defending champs,” Finley said, “we've got an X on our back, and teams are gong to come in and play one of their better games. We can't forget this is a team that beat us earlier in the season. From that standpoint, we can't take them lightly.”

Bowen said he would remind Finley that the Spurs actually beat the Wolves when they played them at Target Center on Nov. 30, 106-91.

“Oh, man,” Bowen said. “I'm going to have to talk to him. His mind gets messed up when we're not doing well. I've got to get him back on track.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[email protected]

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-12-2008, 10:22 AM
I don't want him to risk getting hurt again. Keep him out at least 3 more games.

m33p0
01-12-2008, 10:31 AM
if he comes back and the Spurs win big in his first game since the injury, would that make Barry the Spurs' MVP? would a Church of Barry be appropriate?

Hemotivo
01-12-2008, 11:11 AM
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84523&p=2160493

greens
01-12-2008, 05:27 PM
Thanks for the article!