PDA

View Full Version : Nene Takes Leave of Absence

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-12-2008, 10:10 AM
Nuggets F Nene leaves team to take care of personal medical issue

By PAT GRAHAM, AP Sports Writer
January 12, 2008

DENVER (AP) -- Nuggets coach George Karl wasn't concerned about when Nene would return. He just wants him back completely healthy.

Nene took an indefinite leave of absence from the team Friday to take care of a personal medical issue. The Nuggets wouldn't elaborate on what was wrong with Nene, who missed 22 games earlier this season after surgery on his left thumb.

"His health, his future, his life is much more important than basketball," Karl said after the Nuggets' 113-103 win over the Orlando Magic on Friday night.

Nene issued a statement before the game, saying he was "very upset that I have to put a little delay on being with the team to take care of my health."

"It's hard to go through when things seem to be going so well," he said. "I want to get back on the court as soon as possible to help my teammates."

His teammates were worried about him, too. Nuggets guard Anthony Carter planned on giving him a call as soon as he could.

"It caught everyone by surprise," Carter said of hearing the news. "I'm very concerned."

Karl has experienced a few health scares over the past few years. He was treated for prostate cancer in 2005; his son, Coby, was diagnosed with papillary carcinoma, a form of treatable cancer, in January 2006 and had his thyroid removed three months later; last April, Coby underwent more surgery to remove cancerous lymph nodes.

The memory of his battle with cancer still haunts George Karl.

"I went months waking up scared," he said. "At times now, I wake up and there's a tweak and a twinge in the kidney or in my back somewhere, I think it's cancer. I don't think I have a bad back, I think I've got cancer."

Karl said he'll offer Nene any kind of support he needs as he deals with the undisclosed medical issue.

"You don't know what works and what helps in those situations," Karl said. "Sometimes, it's talking about your experiences, sometimes it's sharing some laughter. It comes in different packages. Hopefully, I will have some opportunity to sit down and spend some time with him and talk about this stuff.

"When I had my surgery, it was incredible the support I felt from the organization and also from the fans of Denver, the e-mails and stuff like that," Karl added. "We want him back, need him back, need to get him back, and I think we will get him back."

After the game, Carmelo Anthony said it was tough not seeing Nene on the floor. Nene is averaging 6.4 points and 6.4 rebounds in 12 games this season.

"You never want to see a teammate go down like that," Anthony said. "We just have to stay strong for him, whatever the case is, and make sure he knows that the Denver Nuggets and the whole organization has his back."

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-nuggets-nene&prov=ap&type=lgns

m33p0
01-12-2008, 10:26 AM
personal medical issue? like what? dandruff?

Hemotivo
01-12-2008, 10:33 AM
must be serious

Spurs Brazil
01-12-2008, 01:17 PM
I hope he can get better soon

Calbears1
01-12-2008, 06:30 PM
personal medical issue? like what? dandruff?

Rumor over at a Nuggets site is that it is tumor that may be cancerous.

iminlakerland
01-12-2008, 06:33 PM
hope all turns out well with nene...

Spurs Brazil
01-12-2008, 08:12 PM
Her mother told a radio here in Brazil he'll have a surgery tuesday at Denver.

She doesn't say what's the problem

m33p0
01-12-2008, 08:14 PM
Rumor over at a Nuggets site is that it is tumor that may be cancerous.
thanks.

Spurs Brazil
01-14-2008, 04:59 PM
UPDATE

TV show here in Brazil just said that a source told them Nene has prostate cancer and will have a surgery this week

NuGGeTs-FaN
01-14-2008, 05:03 PM
:depressed :cry

I hope he is ok. Makes you realise how insignificant bball is.

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-14-2008, 05:40 PM
Ugh that's not good. :(
Wish Nene a successful and fast recovery.

duncan228
01-14-2008, 05:42 PM
Hope everything turns out okay for him.
NuGGeTs-Fan is right.
Everything gets put in perspective with a serious illness.

Bruno
01-14-2008, 06:03 PM
It really sucks. Good luck to him.

Armando
01-14-2008, 07:06 PM
UPDATE

TV show here in Brazil just said that a source told them Nene has prostate cancer and will have a surgery this week

Prostate cancer? How old is he?

duncan228
01-14-2008, 07:10 PM
I think he's 25.

Armando
01-14-2008, 07:12 PM
I think he's 25.

Wow that is unusual for guy that young to have prostate cancer.

T Park
01-14-2008, 07:26 PM
Wow good luck and prayers to nene.

Due your job guys and get checked.

Armando
01-14-2008, 07:28 PM
Wow good luck and prayers to nene.

Due your job guys and get checked.

Yeah for sure not something to play around with.

duncan228
01-14-2008, 08:36 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/basketball/nba/01/14/bc.bkn.nuggets.nene.ap/index.html

Nuggets' Nene out indefinitely
Team staying mum on center's mysterious condition

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) -- The Denver Nuggets remained mum Monday on the medical condition that has sidelined Nene. Coach George Karl indicated they are preparing to be without him for some time.

The Brazilian forward took an indefinite leave of absence on Friday.

"I was hurt and saddened by the news," Karl said without elaborating. "Now the support and strength of the team to give to him is important."

Nene, who is averaging 6.4 points and 6.4 rebounds, missed 22 games earlier this season after undergoing left thumb surgery. The Nuggets, citing privacy laws, have gone along with Nene's decision to remain quiet on his condition.

"He's a very private person. He's a very quiet person," Karl said before Monday's game against Charlotte. "I'm sure now he's even more private and more quiet than ever. We're going to reach out to him and make sure he understands what he needs will be given to him, both emotionally, physically and hopefully spiritually, too."

Nene's career has been plagued by injuries. He missed all but one game of the 2005-06 season after tearing the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee. He missed 27 games the season before with a variety of ailments.

Denver was also without forward Eduardo Najera on Monday against the Bobcats. Najera hyperextended his right elbow in Friday's win over Orlando. X-rays were negative and Najera could play Tuesday in Atlanta.

mrsmaalox
01-15-2008, 12:32 AM

It's worse the younger a guy is. The older the man, the better the chances of survival are.

FromWayDowntown
01-15-2008, 12:51 AM
Wow -- all the best to Nene. Regardless of the ultimate diagnosis, it's a scary thing that any young man would face a substantial medical issue.

MONTENEGRINO
01-15-2008, 01:41 AM
Just hope Nene will be good. Basketball isn't the most important thing in life... Wish him best recovery...

Please_dont_ban_me
01-15-2008, 02:45 AM
Sad news.

Hopefully he caught it early enough and they can do something still. Good luck to him.

Kori Ellis
01-15-2008, 02:51 AM

I know someone else who was diagnosed with it a few months ago who is 22. I thought it was extremely uncommon that young too.

Good luck to Nene.

Spurs Brazil
01-15-2008, 12:01 PM
UPDATE

Nene had surgery yesterday night and it wasn't prostate cancer but testicular tumor, like Lance Armstrong.

They'll wait for tests results to see how he'll take care of it

duncan228
01-15-2008, 12:39 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/basketball/nba/01/15/nene.nuggets.ap/index.html

Nuggets' Nenê has tumor removed
Player's Web site says surgery was done in Denver

DENVER (AP) -- Doctors removed a tumor from Nuggets forward Nenê, according to the player's Web site Tuesday.

The statement said the surgery was done Monday at a Denver hospital, but it did not indicate whether the tumor was cancerous or where it was located.

Nenê's medical team will discuss what to do next after getting test results expected by the end of the week, the statement said.

Nenê, who is from Brazil, took an indefinite leave of absence Friday. The team hasn't released any information about his condition.

Nenê is averaging 6.4 points and 6.4 rebounds. He missed 22 games earlier this season after undergoing left thumb surgery.

He missed all but one game of the 2005-06 season after tearing the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee, and he missed 27 games the season before with a variety of ailments.

The Nuggets were scheduled to play the Hawks in Atlanta on Tuesday night after losing to the Bobcats 119-116 in Charlotte, N.C., on Monday.

Spurs Brazil
01-15-2008, 07:08 PM
Nuggets' Nene has tumor removed, biopsy will determine if cancerous
Associated Press

Updated: January 15, 2008, 7:04 PM ET
ATLANTA -- Denver Nuggets forward Nene underwent surgery Monday to remove a testicular tumor, and a biopsy will determine if it was cancerous.

Nene

The Brazilian player took an indefinite leave of absence Friday, and there is no timetable for his return.

"Nene is recovering well and in good condition," Dr. Fernando J. Kim said.

The operation was done at Denver Health Medical Center. Kim said a "right testicular mass was found incidentally and it was managed surgically." The tumor was found last week in an exam by team physician Dr. Saurabh Mangalik.

"I want to thank my fans, my teammates, the Nuggets organization and everyone that's been supporting me," Nene said in a statement released by the team before Tuesday night's game at Atlanta.

"My victory will represent their victory as well. Thanks for being with me in this moment. I will remember all the appreciation. I thank God that we could detect this at such an early stage."

Denver coach George Karl said he first talked with team captains Carmelo Anthony, Allen Iverson and Marcus Camby about Nene's condition on Friday, before the team's home game against Orlando.

"I can't deny that talking about Nene was more emotional than some other circumstances I've been presented," Karl said. "I think the team, I don't know what the word is, but it was a very quiet day. The game that night, the personality was introverted, introspective."

Iverson said Nene's surgery has forced players to think about more than games.

"We just want to make sure he does everything he has to do to get well," Iverson said. "This whole thing is so much bigger than basketball. This is life. All we can do is be there to support him and be a phone call away if he needs us."

Karl and his son, Coby, have been treated for cancer. George Karl has had surgery for prostate cancer.

"As a cancer survivor and someone who has watched his son go through two cancer-related surgeries, I know firsthand the emotions and fears that you feel when someone says you might have it," Karl said. "Our job now is to support Nene and be there for him as a family. Basketball is at the bottom of the totem poll at a time like this. We just want him to get healthy."

Nene is averaging 6.4 points and 6.4 rebounds. He missed 22 games earlier this season after undergoing left thumb surgery. He was out for all but one game of the 2005-06 season after tearing a knee ligament, and he was sidelined for 27 games the season before with a variety of ailments.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3197423

peskypesky
01-15-2008, 08:15 PM
Very sucky news. The guy never seems to get a break when it comes to health. I wish him the best and hope for a quick recovery.

kingsfan
01-15-2008, 09:23 PM
Wow that's awful, I hope he gets well soon.

daslicer
01-15-2008, 09:57 PM
The good news based off of what Nene said is they caught it early. Testicular cancer has the highest cure rate of any cancer when caught early its around 98% and even the late stages such as grade 3 its survival rate is high around 60-70%. I willing to be that he's in the 98% which means he will be back but it will take him a year to get his strength back.

boutons_
01-15-2008, 11:13 PM
"take him a year to get his strength back."

The pathology report isn't back, yet, so they haven't said the tumor was malign.

I simply can't imagine that removing one or both testicles knock anyone back a year, Testosterone supplements would help maintain his muscle mass and leanness. I just read where the market for testosterone supplements is $425M/year.

remingtonbo2001
01-16-2008, 02:04 AM
Good luck to Nene. Our prayers go out to him.

Fernando TD21
01-16-2008, 06:17 AM
15/01/2008 - 20h46
Após operação, Nenê agradece: "minha vitória será nossa vitória"
Do UOL Esporte
Em São Paulo

Em comunicado oficial enviado nesta terça-feira, a NBA confirmou o tumor testicular do pivô brasileiro Nenê, do Denver Nuggets. O jogador foi operado ainda na segunda-feira, em Denver, no Colorado, mas ainda não existe confirmação da gravidade da doença.

"Quero agradecer aos meus fãs, meus companheiros de equipe, os Nuggets e todo mundo que tem me apoiado. Minha vitória representará sua vitória também. Lembrarei de todo o carinho. Agradeço a Deus que pudemos detectar isto tão cedo", afirmou o brasileiro no comunicado, em sua primeira declaração após a cirurgia.

A operação de retirada do tumor testicular foi bem sucedida e os resultados da biópsia para determinar a presença de câncer ainda estão pendentes. "Uma massa foi encontrada no testículo direito e retirada cirurgicamente. Nenê está em boas condições e se recuperando bem", afirmou o médico Fernando Kim, chefe de urologia do Centro Médico de Saúde de Denver.

Na semana passada, em exame feito pelo médico dos Nuggets, Saurabh Mangalik, revelou a presença de um tumor. Nenê, então, consultou Kim, que é formado pela escola de medicina da Universidade de São Paulo, que executou a cirurgia.

"Como um sobrevivente de câncer e alguém que observou o seu próprio filho passar por duas cirurgias relacionadas ao câncer, conheço as emoções e temores que você sente quando alguém diz que você tem um tumor", disse o técnico dos Nuggets, George Karl.

http://esporte.uol.com.br/basquete/ultimas/2008/01/15/ult4356u1709.jhtm
Apparently, everything went well for Nene and he is fine now.

travis2
01-16-2008, 07:54 AM
Machine translation...

In official notice sent in this Tuesday, the NBA confirmed the tumor testicular of the Brazilian pivot Baby, of the Denver Nuggets. The player was operated still in the Monday, in Denver, in the Colorado, but still not corroboration exists of the gravity of the illness.

"I am going to thank to my fans, my companions of team, the Nuggets and everyone that has myself supported. My victory will represent its victory also. I will remember completely the affection. I thank God that could detect this so early", affirmed the Brazilian in the notice, in its first statement after surgery.

The operation of retreat of the tumor testicular well was happened and the results of the biopsy for decide to presence of cancer still are pending. "A batter was found in the right testicle and retreat cirurgicamente. Baby is in good conditions and recuperating well", affirmed the medical one Fernando Kim, leader of urology of the Medical Center of Health of Denver.

In the past week, in exam made by the doctor of the Nuggets, Saurabh Mangalik, revealed the presence of a tumor. Baby, then, consulted Kim, that is formed by the school of medicine of the University of São Paulo, that performed the surgery.

"As a survivor of cancer and someone that observed his own son pass for two surgeries related to the cancer, I know the emotions and fears that you feel when someone says that you have a tumor", said the technician of the Nuggets, George Karl.