PDA

View Full Version : Timberwolves-Spurs Preview

duncan228
01-12-2008, 11:08 AM
http://www.nba.com/games/20080112/MINSAS/preview.html?nav=scoreboardhome

Timberwolves-Spurs Preview
By DAN PIERINGER, STATS Writer

The San Antonio Spurs finally have their top three players healthy again, but it hasn't helped much in their last two games. Getting back on track likely won't be a problem as they host the lowly Minnesota Timberwolves on Saturday.

Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili have each missed time over the last six weeks because of injuries. Duncan was sidelined for four games with a sprained right ankle, Parker missed four because of a sprained left ankle and Ginobili was out five because of a sprained left index finger.

When Ginobili returned for Sunday's game against the Los Angeles Clippers, the Spurs' top three scorers played a full game together for the first time since Nov. 30.

San Antonio (23-11) won that game, but has lost its last two despite having the heart of its lineup intact. The Spurs fell 130-121 in overtime at Golden State on Monday, and followed that up with a 90-80 loss at home to Detroit on Thursday. After their 17-3 start, the Spurs are a disappointing 6-8.

"We haven't scored well, we haven't shot the ball well but that's going to happen from time to time we just need to keep shooting the basketball," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said.

Duncan had 24 points, 15 rebounds and five assists in Monday's defeat, but San Antonio gave up 16 straight points to close the first quarter and trailed the rest of the game.

"During six minutes we were outscored about 20-to-2 and we spent the night trying to climb back from that," Popovich said. "So we played 42 and not 48 (minutes) and that's not good enough against a team like Detroit."

It might, however, be good enough against Minnesota (5-30), which has the league's worst record and lost nine of its last 10 games to continue the worst start in franchise history.

The Timberwolves struggled more than usual in the first half of their 113-82 loss at Houston on Friday night, when they trailed 65-33 after two quarters.

"We didn't show up tonight. The way we played was discouraging,'' Minnesota coach Randy Wittman said. "We got ourselves in trouble by the way we played offensively. We're either too nice or too scared is what it looked like to me."

Part of the team's problems stemmed from the ineffectiveness of Al Jefferson, the centerpiece of the offseason trade that sent Kevin Garnett to Boston after 12 seasons with Minnesota. Jefferson was just 2-for-10 from the field against Houston and finished with a season-low six points. Jefferson, averaging career highs with 20.1 points and 12.0 rebounds, had just six boards Friday.

The Spurs have won six straight home games against the Timberwolves, who have gone nearly four years without a win in San Antonio. Their last victory at the AT&T Center was a 100-93 win on Jan. 14, 2004.

Overall, San Antonio has won seven of eight against Minnesota, including a 106-91 victory in the first meeting Nov. 30. Duncan, Parker and Ginobili combined for 68 points, while Jefferson led the Wolves with 23 points and 11 rebounds.

duncan228
01-12-2008, 11:13 AM
Spurs.com has Horry starting.

http://www.nba.com/spurs/gameday/080112.html

Spurs vs. Timberwolves Preview

Probable Starters

T. Parker
Guard
20.3 PPG
M. Finley
Guard
10.5 PPG
B. Bowen
Forward
6.1 PPG
T. Duncan
Forward
18.8 PPG
R. Horry
Forward
1.8 PPG

Injury/Inactive Report
Barry (torn plantaris muscle, left calf) is out.

The San Antonio Spurs finally have their top three players healthy again and getting back on track will be the focus as they host the Minnesota Timberwolves on Saturday.

Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili have each missed time over the last six weeks because of injuries. Duncan was sidelined for four games with a sprained right ankle, Parker missed four because of a sprained left ankle and Ginobili was out five because of a sprained left index finger.

When Ginobili returned for Sunday's game against the Los Angeles Clippers, the Spurs' top three scorers played a full game together for the first time since Nov. 30.

San Antonio (23-11) won that game, but has lost its last two despite having the heart of its lineup intact. The Spurs fell 130-121 in overtime at Golden State on Monday, and followed that up with a 90-80 loss at home to Detroit on Thursday.

Duncan had 24 points, 15 rebounds and five assists in Monday's defeat, but San Antonio gave up 16 straight points to close the first quarter and trailed the rest of the game.

The Spurs have won six straight home games against the Timberwolves, who have gone nearly four years without a win in San Antonio. Their last victory at the AT&T Center was a 100-93 win on Jan. 14, 2004.

Overall, San Antonio has won seven of eight against Minnesota, including a 106-91 victory in the first meeting Nov. 30. Duncan, Parker and Ginobili combined for 68 points, while Al Jefferson led the Wolves with 23 points and 11 rebounds.

Spur in the Spotlight
Tim Duncan
Tim Duncan had 24 points and 15 rebounds for San Antonio on Thursday night against the Pistons.

Did You Know...
David Robinson holds the record for most points in Target Center history when he dropped 50 points on the Timberwolves on 2/21/94 … he is also the Timberwolves first opponent to record a triple-double – with 24 points, 12 rebounds and 12 blocks – on 2/23/90 … on 2/6/99 the Spurs set a Minnesota opponent’s record for most rebounds in a non-overtime game with 64 … Robert Horry and Mark Madsen teamed on the Lakers from 2000-03.

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-12-2008, 11:15 AM
Probable Starters

T. Parker
Guard
20.3 PPG
M. Finley
Guard
10.5 PPG
B. Bowen
Forward
6.1 PPG
T. Duncan
Forward
18.8 PPG
R. Horry
Forward
1.8 PPG

Didn't Pop go back to starting Oberto last game?

duncan228
01-12-2008, 11:18 AM
Oberto did start the Pistons game.
And Spurs.com had Horry as a Probable Starter that game too.
It can change.

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-12-2008, 11:20 AM
Well yea, but I thought that was more of a permanent change.

angel_luv
01-12-2008, 04:06 PM
That's a cool coincidence- Eva parking next to your step daughter.

I am glad we are playing Minnesota today because it is the three year anniversary of my first day working in the Terrace Club and this game should be a guaranteed win for for the Spurs. :)

SpursDynasty
01-12-2008, 04:25 PM
I have a feeling some bench player from the T'Wolves is going to have a 15-for-20 night from the floor.

T'Wolves 98 Spurs 97

SenorSpur
01-12-2008, 04:30 PM
Remember the Wolves gave the Spurs a grueling, physical game before succumbing late in the 4th quarter. Don't be surprised to see the Spurs "play down" to the level of the inferior competition.

duncan228
01-12-2008, 06:30 PM
Don't be surprised to see the Spurs "play down" to the level of the inferior competition.

I won't be surprised but I won't be happy.

m33p0
01-12-2008, 08:09 PM
you guys think that even though its only january and tim and manu knows its january and that losing games in january are no pause for concern that they're not pissed at all for losing games?

(pausing to breathe)

these guys may not have enough of an ego but they do have pride. i wouldn't be surprised if tim and manu vent some frustration on the hapless hushpuppies. in fact, i'm counting on it.

angel_luv
01-12-2008, 11:24 PM
Don't be surprised to see the Spurs "play down" to the level of the inferior competition.

Pretty much sums up the first half.

But we got the win and I got to wear a tiara so all in all, a good night. :)