PDA

View Full Version : Saturday's Big 12 Results

K-State Spur
01-12-2008, 09:44 PM
OSU (1-0) over Tech (0-1) - pokes do what they needed to do, knight calls his best player a disappointment

Mizzou (1-0) over UT (0-1) - maybe a mild surprise, but Hannah was the best player on the floor today

A&M (1-0) over Buffs (0-1) - to be expected

Baylor (1-0) over ISU (0-1) - ISU hung around much longer than they should have if baylor is indeed for real

K-State (1-0) over OU (0-1) - Beasley (32 pts/11 boards - 14th double/double in 15 games) wins the battle of fab frosh (Griffin - 27 pts/14 boards)

KU leading UNL by 10 - UNL is about 30 points better than they were last year at this time, but Kansas teams may pull off the only road wins of the day.

johngateswhiteley
01-13-2008, 04:17 AM
t.u. 0-1 in conference, A&M 1-0...thats good stuff.

MajorMike
01-13-2008, 10:10 AM
Looks like OSU actually WILL get a win in B12 this year.

LaMarcus Bryant
01-13-2008, 11:08 AM
Yeah I have not seen Texas play as bad all season as they did yesterday. Starting a player who has not played a game all season served only to stagnate the offensive flow we had going on.

Kermit
01-13-2008, 11:30 AM
He played in three games, starting in two of them prior to the Missouri game.

SrA Husker
01-13-2008, 12:28 PM
Despite the overall margin of victory being a point higher for KU compared to last year, I think there's no doubt this Husker team was much improved. I could dream all I want but it's pretty clear that KU is just the all-around better team.

With that said, with the exception of the road games at KU, TU, and A&M, there's no reason why Nebraska can't compete in every other game this season. My realistic hopes are 10-6 conference, with a win in the conference tournament. I'm thinking that puts us on the right side of the bubble.

(Special note... if Texas keeps self-destructing the way they have I might take that out of the instant-loss category. I won't put Mizzou or KSU in it yet, though.)

K-State Spur
01-13-2008, 01:31 PM
I think 10-6 might be a bit higher for the Skers, but on a game to game basis, they should compete in most of them.

You might be able to take A&M out of the instant loss column as well. Let us not forget that 3 out of the last 4 years, Turgeon's teams have pulled a MASSIVE collapse down the stretch.

I wish K-State got them later in the year (but at least it's at home).

johngateswhiteley
01-13-2008, 01:43 PM
You might be able to take A&M out of the instant loss column as well. Let us not forget that 3 out of the last 4 years, Turgeon's teams have pulled a MASSIVE collapse down the stretch.

I wish K-State got them later in the year (but at least it's at home).

...i see A&M getting better as the season progresses.

SrA Husker
01-13-2008, 02:02 PM
The big thing will be to defend the home court... in addition to the north lineup, Nebraska faces Baylor, Texas Tech, and Oklahoma at home... and thankfully, Kansas is already out of the way. I don't see any reason why Nebraska won't be able to compete in every remaining home game and I would be happy with a 6-2 home record.

On the road, things will be tough facing OSU, Texas, and A&M. Kansas is basically a guaranteed loss as well. I think realistically 4-4 is the record to shoot for on the road.

Playing it out this way, 10-6 is possible and is the goal I'm shooting for. Every team wins some and loses some they shouldn't so it'll be fun to see how everything actually plays out.

K-State Spur
01-13-2008, 03:02 PM
...i see A&M getting better as the season progresses.

that very well could happen, but it would be against turgeon's track record. with the exception of 2006, his teams typically peak in december and stumble towards the finish line. (given this, i'm still very surprised that he was A&M's choice. you could make a very strong argument that he was no better than the 4th or 5th best coach in the MVC. Especially when taking into account that with WSU's resources, they should be competing for the Valley title every year.)

Cant_Be_Faded
01-13-2008, 03:30 PM
He played in three games, starting in two of them prior to the Missouri game.

Yes and in all three the offense has not looked nearly as fluid as it did in earlier games, the only offsetting effect of him starting has been that Damion James is going completely awol....but I am doubting that his three point jumper is the real deal, and I think he is only on a hot streak. When he goes cold, our offense will look absolutely abysmal.

ReggieF
01-13-2008, 10:51 PM
when texas is getting all the foul calls for DJ and making all the wold ass shots Abrahms takes then they are tough to beat otherwise they are junk and this will show itself as the season progresses one injury to either James, Augustin or AJ and they are toast.

K-State Spur
01-14-2008, 11:54 AM
in the least surprising move of the week - beasley named Big 12 POW.

K-State Spur
01-20-2008, 08:17 PM
The big thing will be to defend the home court... in addition to the north lineup, Nebraska faces Baylor, Texas Tech, and Oklahoma at home... and thankfully, Kansas is already out of the way. I don't see any reason why Nebraska won't be able to compete in every remaining home game and I would be happy with a 6-2 home record.

On the road, things will be tough facing OSU, Texas, and A&M. Kansas is basically a guaranteed loss as well. I think realistically 4-4 is the record to shoot for on the road.

Playing it out this way, 10-6 is possible and is the goal I'm shooting for. Every team wins some and loses some they shouldn't so it'll be fun to see how everything actually plays out.

UNL absolutely needed to win @ CU and @ home vs. Baylor to get to 10 wins. Right now, they seem to be looking at a 1-6 start.

AFBlue
01-20-2008, 09:29 PM
Baylor Lady Bears besting the Sooners today....

Oh wait, is this about Men's basketball?

SrA Husker
01-23-2008, 07:43 PM
I kindly take back everything I might of said in this thread. Even I don't think this team can recover from the all-but-guaranteed 0-4, possibly 0-5 start to conference.

AFBlue
01-24-2008, 12:18 AM
Baylor out to a 4-0 start in the Big 12 after the quintuple overtime victory on the road versus the Aggies.....16-2 overall.

I don't want to make any predictions, because they haven't played the big boys of the conference...but this win over A&M took alot of balls and could be a sign that this team can deal with adversity and overcome it.

Sic 'em Bears!

K-State Spur
01-24-2008, 12:21 AM
we'll see how A&M finishes up, but I think winning on their court will prove to be respectable under any circumstances.

baylor is scary. they're still a bit to reliant on the 3/jump shot, which means they will likely lose a game or two that they shouldn't. but in any game except kansas, baylor can reasonably expect to have the best backcourt on the floor.

AFBlue
01-24-2008, 12:33 AM
we'll see how A&M finishes up, but I think winning on their court will prove to be respectable under any circumstances.

baylor is scary. they're still a bit to reliant on the 3/jump shot, which means they will likely lose a game or two that they shouldn't. but in any game except kansas, baylor can reasonably expect to have the best backcourt on the floor.

Agreed. The Bears are PAINFULLY thin on the interior. Lomers and Diene may be big (legit 7ft, 250), but they lack any discernable offensive skill.

The only guy they really have is Kevin Rogers, who can be a beast and has a good all-around offensive game. When he's not hampered by foul trouble, he can put up the kind of numbers like you saw tonight...19pts 18rebs. Of course it should be noted, he fouled out. :lol

The strength has to be the depth of quality backcourt players. Led by Curtis Jerrells on most nights, the Bears can also trot out Henry Dugat, Aaron Bruce, Tweety Carter, and/or LaceDarius Dunn. All of them capable of going off on a given night for 20+ points.

I think the Bears are almost forced to rely on their 3pt shot and heavily on guard penetration because they seriously lack an inside threat. Guess they'll just have to keep winning games that way and that it will help them recruit a low-post threat. :D