PDA

View Full Version : Boss fires staff for not smoking

Pistons < Spurs
01-13-2008, 12:28 AM
The owner of a small German computer company has fired three non-smoking workers because they were threatening to disturb the peace after they requested a smoke-free environment.

The manager of the 10-person IT company in Buesum, named Thomas J., told the Hamburger Morgenpost newspaper he had fired the trio because their non-smoking was causing disruptions.

Germany introduced non-smoking rules in pubs and restaurants on January 1, but Germans working in small offices are still allowed to smoke.

"I can't be bothered with trouble-makers," Thomas was quoted saying. "We're on the phone all the time and it's just easier to work while smoking. Everyone picks on smokers these days. It's time for revenge. I'm only going to hire smokers from now on."

http://www.reuters.com/article/newsOne/idUSN1063983120080110

Cry Havoc
01-13-2008, 12:46 AM
What an idiot.

Fillmoe
01-13-2008, 12:48 AM
lol............ LAWSUIT!

OldDirtMcGirt
01-13-2008, 01:23 AM
Fuck it. More power to him.

Extra Stout
01-13-2008, 01:26 AM
It is not so easy as that to fire an employee in Germany. There is no chance the local Arbeitsgericht will uphold the terminations.

Hook Dem
01-13-2008, 09:30 AM
:smokin :smokin :smokin

polandprzem
01-13-2008, 09:54 AM
Damn I hate smokers!

I'm forced to smell all that toxins and unpleasant as hell smoke at my job.
Fuck in Poland they are about to provide the smoking prohibition. And hopefully the police will obey that rule and ticket those bastartds!

Thanks

tlongII
01-13-2008, 02:10 PM
Frickin Euros. :rolleyes

polandprzem
01-13-2008, 03:28 PM
:lol

fuck you you fascist bitch

you don't like smoke? then work somewhere else, eat somewhere else, drink somewhere else, start your own company, lazy ass bitch

You fucking american go smoke somwhere else you bitch.

You don't like me hating smoke?
Screw you and your fucking cigaretts !

Cry Havoc
01-13-2008, 03:38 PM

you don't like smoke? then work somewhere else, eat somewhere else, drink somewhere else, start your own company, lazy ass bitch

You have a civil right to smoke.

And I believe I have a civil right as well not to breathe in toxins because you wanted to be "so cool" and hang out with all the "rad kids" when you were 16 and now you're addicted to something that has complete control over you. To weak to quit? Don't give us crap about it. It's not our fault you enjoy ingesting poison.

TheSanityAnnex
01-13-2008, 05:30 PM
You have a civil right to smoke.

And I believe I have a civil right as well not to breathe in toxins because you wanted to be "so cool" and hang out with all the "rad kids" when you were 16 and now you're addicted to something that has complete control over you. I wasn't aware cigarettes were invented in the 80's, I could have sworn I've seen them smoked before those times.

johngateswhiteley
01-13-2008, 05:48 PM
hilarious...and while i don't smoke and prefer not to be around it, i've always held the owner of a business can fire whomever he wants for whatever reason he wants.

...so, whatever.

mavs>spurs2
01-13-2008, 06:06 PM
hilarious...and while i don't smoke and prefer not to be around it, i've always held the owner of a business can fire whomever he wants for whatever reason he wants.

...so, whatever.

Nah, thank God for labor laws, otherwise you could be fired because you're black, white, tall, short, etc.

johngateswhiteley
01-13-2008, 06:20 PM
Nah, thank God for labor laws, otherwise you could be fired because you're black, white, tall, short, etc.

thats right, and i'm OK with it. Business owners should be able to run their business however they want...i've always felt that way and nothing can change my mind.

DarkReign
01-14-2008, 02:24 PM
More to power to the guy. He owns the joint, he can run as he sees fit.

DarkReign
01-14-2008, 02:26 PM
:lol

You fucking american go smoke somwhere else you bitch.

You don't like me hating smoke?
Screw you and your fucking cigaretts !

And what the fuck does him being an American have to do with the conversation?

"Please government stop all those pesky smokers for me!! *cough* HELP! *cough*"

Jimcs50
01-14-2008, 03:06 PM
http://ia.imdb.com/media/imdb/01/I/73/27/90/10m.jpg

polandprzem
01-14-2008, 04:27 PM

Magic_Johnson
01-14-2008, 06:15 PM
Damn I hate smokers!

I'm forced to smell all that toxins and unpleasant as hell smoke at my job.
Fuck in Poland they are about to provide the smoking prohibition. And hopefully the police will obey that rule and ticket those bastartds!

Thanks

In France, since the january 1st we can't smoke at some public place (restaurant, bar ...) and at work anymore.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-14-2008, 07:08 PM
The right to safety in the workplace overrules the right to smoke in the workplace, and if you don't think 2nd hand smoking causes cancer then you're a fucking moron. Here's a fact sheet from the US EPA:

http://www.epa.gov/smokefree/pubs/etsfs.html

Oz has had no smoking in the workplace for over a decade. If you want to smoke, go outside on your break. How hard is that?

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
01-14-2008, 07:39 PM
The right to safety in the workplace overrules the right to smoke in the workplace, and if you don't think 2nd hand smoking causes cancer then you're a fucking moron. Here's a fact sheet from the US EPA:

People are still using the EPA study to base their arguments on second hand smoke?

Talk about fucking moronic:

http://www.davehitt.com/facts/epa.html

DarkReign
01-15-2008, 02:38 PM

Oz has had no smoking in the workplace for over a decade. If you want to smoke, go outside on your break. How hard is that?

Fine. But I dont have to employ your ass either.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-15-2008, 07:33 PM
loinfan - okay, don't like that one, how about these more recent reports from across the world:

National Health and Medical Research Council - The Health Effects of Passive Smoking Canberra, Australia, 1997

California EPA (Cal/EPA), Office of Environmental Health Hazard Assessment - Health Effects of Exposure to Environmental Tobacco Smoke
Sacramento, California, United States, 1997

Scientific Committee on Tobacco and Health - Report of the Scientific Committee on Tobacco and Health
London, United Kingdom, 1998

World Health Organization International - Consultation on Environmental Tobacco Smoke (ETS) and Child Health. Consultation Report
Geneva, Switzerland, 1999

IARC Tobacco Smoke and Involuntary Smoking
Lyon, France, 2004

Cal/EPA, Office of Environmental Health Hazard Assessment - Proposed Identification of Environmental Tobacco Smoke as a Toxic Air Contaminant
Sacramento, California, United States, 2005

And then there's the Surgeon General's 2006 report (citation at bottom if you care to read it):

http://www.surgeongeneral.gov/library/secondhandsmoke/factsheets/factsheet6.html

Riddle me this - smoking causes many forms of cancer (undeniable), the smoke released into the air is exactly the same as that inhaled (undeniable), so why would second hand smoke have a different impact on the body than directly inhaled smoke? It doesn't, it kills people, and there's evidence from all over the world to prove it.

And why does your right to smoke in the workplace exceed my right not to breathe your smoke (especially when you can just go outside to smoke)?

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-15-2008, 07:54 PM
Fine. But I dont have to employ your ass either.

Huh? So let's say I'm the best qualified person for the job, but don't want to work in a smoke-filled environment that could potentially kill me, you wouldn't hire me? By that reasoning, if I took the job that would make me a moron (and presumably you don't want a moron working for you), so essentially you've put us in a Catch 22 that makes you a moron. How about putting the workplace safety of your employees ahead of your addiction?

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-15-2008, 10:57 PM
REASON!? :lmao What a fucking joke! This has nothing to do with rational thinking and everything to do with your bloody-minded attitude that your rights come before your responsibilities. You are trying to claim the right to smoke in the workplace - what about your responsibility not to injure your colleagues?????

ruffnreadyozstyle believes in forced biological tissue sampling by police officers at their discretion

of course he's going to be scared to death about his pink pussy lungs

Random alcohol breath testing of drivers (not the issue here) DOES NOT equal forced biological tissue sampling. Breath is not a "biological tissue". Oh, and let me see, there are 21 million other Australians who don't object to it either because we can see the sense in discouraging people from drink-driving and saving thousands of lives. It is a fair and objective test, unlike walking a line. Once again, it's a matter of your right to drink versus the right of other road users not to be killed by your carelessness. But no, your right to drink is more important than other people's lives! :rolleyes

You know what? I am getting really sick of you putting words in my mouth that I never said, and this is the fourth or fifth time you have done it. If you do it again, I will bring it to Kori and LJ's attention. You should be pinked for this shit.

Say what you like, but do not put words in my mouth.

BTW, I'm not scared of passive smoke, and the issue is not smoking itself, it is SMOKING IN THE WORKPLACE. You're obviously too stupid to make the distinction. I have the occasional cigarette when I'm drunk, and I don't think it's a moral issue, but the workplace engenders SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY.

I think we should have a poll on this - will see his talking shit, and wh's making sense. I'll put it up.

dallaskd
01-15-2008, 11:02 PM
douche

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-15-2008, 11:05 PM
Link?

And what about your rights vs responsibilities? No answer to that.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-15-2008, 11:17 PM
i don't smoke. if someone around me is smoking and it bothers me, i leave.

Yeah, but you can't leave the workplace! We are talking about SMOKING IN THE WORKPLACE. How many times do I have to repeat that you fucking moron!?

saliva is biological the last time i checked

Yes, and there is no saliva involved in the random breath testing. You don't even know what the fuck you're talking about. It is random BREATH testing.

No link to the quote a few posts above, huh? That's because you MADE IT UP.

Why don't you fuck off back to your hole?

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-15-2008, 11:19 PM
Oh, and I will forward your PM. If you had actually read my post you would see that I said I would do so if you "put words in my mouth again", which is exactly what you proceeded to do.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-15-2008, 11:30 PM
Why do you insist on behaving like a screaming child in a shopping mall?

Didn't your parents give you enough attention when you were young?

You have not engaged one point in this discussion. You have not addressed any of the points I have made with evidence to the contrary. Why do you bother with this infantile bullshit?

Pistons < Spurs
01-15-2008, 11:45 PM
Hi guys, can you pink elpimpo4cc? The thread above is about the 5th time (none in the Troll forum) he has accused me of saying something I never said and mocked the shit out of me without ever even attempting to engage in any sort of debate or even dialogue.

I don't have a problem with him saying whatever he likes, as long as he is not putting words in my mouth, but he does it continually whenever he comes across a post of mine dealing with any sort of issue.

I would define his behaviour as "without common decency" and thus deserving of sanctions, but if you don't think so fair enough, it's your site.

Cheers,

Ruff

PS Whose troll is he anyway?

:lmao

Extra Stout
01-15-2008, 11:48 PM
Why do you insist on behaving like a screaming child in a shopping mall?

Didn't your parents give you enough attention when you were young?

You have not engaged one point in this discussion. You have not addressed any of the points I have made with evidence to the contrary. Why do you bother with this infantile bullshit?
I assume you've never been to Victoria, Texas. It is very different from the Australian state of Victoria.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-16-2008, 12:27 AM
because you're a gangly ginger who advocates on behalf of Big Brother

No, no I don't. I just think that social responsibilities sometimes outweigh individual rights.

I can't believe that you are mouse, because you don't write like he does, and mouse is actually funny. You're just obnoxious.

And I am in no way ginger.

midgetonadonkey
01-16-2008, 12:31 AM
You do look like a ginger and fuck social responsibilities. Individual rights own all.

TheSanityAnnex
01-16-2008, 12:45 AM
Hi guys, can you pink elpimpo4cc? The thread above is about the 5th time (none in the Troll forum) he has accused me of saying something I never said and mocked the shit out of me without ever even attempting to engage in any sort of debate or even dialogue.

I don't have a problem with him saying whatever he likes, as long as he is not putting words in my mouth, but he does it continually whenever he comes across a post of mine dealing with any sort of issue.

I would define his behaviour as "without common decency" and thus deserving of sanctions, but if you don't think so fair enough, it's your site.

Cheers,

Ruff

:lmao

bitchmade.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-16-2008, 01:06 AM
You do look like a ginger and fuck social responsibilities. Individual rights own all.

Yup, that's pretty much what I thought... just wait until someone else steps all over your individual rights while asserting their own individual rights. How are you going to react to that? Shoot them?

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
01-16-2008, 06:58 AM
loinfan - okay, don't like that one, how about these more recent reports from across the world:

National Health and Medical Research Council - The Health Effects of Passive Smoking Canberra, Australia, 1997

California EPA (Cal/EPA), Office of Environmental Health Hazard Assessment - Health Effects of Exposure to Environmental Tobacco Smoke
Sacramento, California, United States, 1997

Scientific Committee on Tobacco and Health - Report of the Scientific Committee on Tobacco and Health
London, United Kingdom, 1998

World Health Organization International - Consultation on Environmental Tobacco Smoke (ETS) and Child Health. Consultation Report
Geneva, Switzerland, 1999

IARC Tobacco Smoke and Involuntary Smoking
Lyon, France, 2004

Cal/EPA, Office of Environmental Health Hazard Assessment - Proposed Identification of Environmental Tobacco Smoke as a Toxic Air Contaminant
Sacramento, California, United States, 2005

And then there's the Surgeon General's 2006 report (citation at bottom if you care to read it):

http://www.surgeongeneral.gov/library/secondhandsmoke/factsheets/factsheet6.html

Riddle me this - smoking causes many forms of cancer (undeniable), the smoke released into the air is exactly the same as that inhaled (undeniable), so why would second hand smoke have a different impact on the body than directly inhaled smoke? It doesn't, it kills people, and there's evidence from all over the world to prove it.

And why does your right to smoke in the workplace exceed my right not to breathe your smoke (especially when you can just go outside to smoke)?

Those are all great, but I'd guess they can be picked apart like the EPA's report. Take the WHO's second study on second hand smoke done in 1999. Why a second study, which was a meta analysis, unlike the first? Only because the first study, which they tried to bury, didn't yield the results which they were looking for. The first study found that the risk is statistically insignificant. In fact, the only thing statistically significant found in their first study was a decrease in the risk of lung cancer in children with smokers as parents. Didn't hear about that in the news, did you?

Summation of WHO's first report:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9776409?dopt=Abstract

Care to venture a guess why SHS is considered a Class A carcinogen with such a low relative risk? It wouldn't be an agenda, would it?

Riddle me this: If SHS is so deadly, why can't they prove it without doing a meta analysis, cherry picking or skewing the numbers?

DarkReign
01-16-2008, 10:13 AM
Huh? So let's say I'm the best qualified person for the job, but don't want to work in a smoke-filled environment that could potentially kill me, you wouldn't hire me? By that reasoning, if I took the job that would make me a moron (and presumably you don't want a moron working for you), so essentially you've put us in a Catch 22 that makes you a moron. How about putting the workplace safety of your employees ahead of your addiction?

Over-analyzation gets you nowhere. No matter your qualifications, theres 20 people behind with a similar resume'. As an employer, I dont have to employ you. Thats the point.

DarkReign
01-16-2008, 10:17 AM
Yup, that's pretty much what I thought... just wait until someone else steps all over your individual rights while asserting their own individual rights. How are you going to react to that? Shoot them?

Individual Rights >>>>>>>>>>>> Any sort of social responsibility bullshit.

In my experience, I have never been in a situation where someone trounced my rights in the name of their own.

Come to think of it...I cant even think of one analogy that fits such an assertion.

Extra Stout
01-16-2008, 10:23 AM
Over-analyzation gets you nowhere. No matter your qualifications, theres 20 people behind with a similar resume'. As an employer, I dont have to employ you. Thats the point.
That reminds of the old plant hands, who, back in the 1970's when they complained about how the chemicals they were drenched in made their skin fall off, got the response, "There are 20 people waiting at the gate for your job, scumbag! Back to work!"

Ah, those were the good old days. I wish I could have lived in them. I don't hear too much about them anymore, because most of the old plant hands died of things like pancreatic cancer and leukemia before hitting 60.

Extra Stout
01-16-2008, 10:26 AM
Ruff, don't you see how much things were then?

1) The plant hands worked there voluntarily
2) They made a decent salary, supported their families, and sent their kids to college
3) They didn't live long enough to be a drain on society in retirement
4) Their fatal diseases, though painful and wasting, killed them so quickly that the health care costs weren't that high

DarkReign
01-16-2008, 10:35 AM
That reminds of the old plant hands, who, back in the 1970's when they complained about how the chemicals they were drenched in made their skin fall off, got the response, "There are 20 people waiting at the gate for your job, scumbag! Back to work!"

Ah, those were the good old days. I wish I could have lived in them. I don't hear too much about them anymore, because most of the old plant hands died of things like pancreatic cancer and leukemia before hitting 60.

Please.....are you equating handling instantly lethal chemicals with secondhand smoke?!

Seriously?

Extra Stout
01-16-2008, 10:35 AM
they could have and should have refused to work at those plants, just like the '20 people' waiting to take their jobs
the workers should have not let themselves be intimidated by their employers..and i'd think that if they had decent union representation (gasp! lib talking point) they could have secured decent working conditions without the government's involvement

oh..and please produce one case of someone getting lung cancer due to secondhand smoke
They always had the option to let their children starve out of principle. I think that's what they should have done.

And what's up with this "union" crap? The employers should have the right to hire whoever they want, under whatever conditions they want, at whatever price the market will allow. I miss the Gilded Age.

That's the problem with this country. The tycoons around 1900 got scared because of a few assassinations, and gave the farm away to the working classes. Now, we've got a couple hundred million superfluous people milling around, and apparently only the Mexicans understand that their purpose in life is to serve the elites. Whatever happened to respect for the capitalists who make this country's economic engine run?

Extra Stout
01-16-2008, 10:38 AM
Please.....are you equating handling instantly lethal chemicals with secondhand smoke?!

Seriously?
Nobody has ever proven a link between exposure to those chemicals and contracting fatal diseases 30 years later. Wussy liberals claim they have, but industry studies consistently have shown otherwise. Of course, our wimpy government believes the wussy liberal "scientists."

So, how many packs a day do you smoke?

Extra Stout
01-16-2008, 10:56 AM
If the government wants to keep me from my sweet darling love, my Nicky, they will have to pry her from my cold, dead, yellow-stained fingers. Live free or die!

DarkReign
01-16-2008, 10:59 AM
Nobody has ever proven a link between exposure to those chemicals and contracting fatal diseases 30 years later. Wussy liberals claim they have, but industry studies consistently have shown otherwise. Of course, our wimpy government believes the wussy liberal "scientists."

I wasnt being trite. I was being serious. I am not a scientist or a doctor, so I am not going to try and explain away the differences. But there is the basic difference between a) cigarette smoke secondhand and b) industrial chemicals that can/will kill you instantly if you stuck your head over the vat and breathed deeply.

So, how many packs a day do you smoke?

I have no delusions of how I am going to die. I never claimed to say smoking doesnt cause cancer. Revelation here; it certainly does, no ifs/ands/buts.

I smoke, yes. I will continue to smoke, yes. I like it and dont much give 2 shits about what other people think about me. I am a business owner (partly). I (partly) own the building I work in. I smoke in that building. So does every other smoker that I employ. It will stay that way until it becomes illegal to do so.

I make it known to prospective employees that this is indeed a smoking environment. I specifically point this out in every interview. If you dont like it, dont take the job. Simple.

One can argue whether secondhand smoke is this or that, I really dont care. No one can argue that secondhand smoke is somehow even remotely equivalent to industrial grade chemicals used for the cleaning and bathing of metals. Especially if physical contact with said chemicals "peels your skin off" instantly.

If I light a cigarette near you and upon contact, you are instantly set ablaze...brother, I'll quit right then and there and ban smoking from my life in all areas immediately (and be sued and imprisoned). But that isnt going to happen. Not even with prolonged exposure to secondhand smoke.

So really, as an employer, its my prerogative. Dont like it, dont take the job. Take the job then start complaining later, youre fired. Simple stuff.

thispego
01-18-2008, 10:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuffnReadyOzStyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by elpimpo4cc

Dear Kori Ellis and timvp,

This is just a heads up to let you know that ruffnreadyozstyle is going to cry to you about me putting words in his mouth.

At least, that's why he threatened in this thread in the club: http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84939

Cheers,

Ruff

:lmao :lmao :lmao :rollin