PDA

View Full Version : Store bought salsa's. What do you like?

BacktoBasics
01-14-2008, 10:35 AM
I don't have the patience to make fresh salsa twice a week anymore. I used to be able to get Jacala's and La Fogata's shelf jars but they are no longer carried here in Corpus. I haven't found anything else I like, either its too picante like or flat tastes like crap. Any suggestions?

NASpurs
01-14-2008, 10:42 AM
I don't have the patients to make fresh salsa Well yeah that would be a problem if you keep using your patients to make salsa. Do you ground them up or just boil them alive?

01-14-2008, 10:42 AM
Goya brand pico de gallo.

Sunshine
01-14-2008, 10:46 AM
I personally don't like ANY of the bottled salsas. HEB might sell a "fresh" salsa that comes in a sealed plastic pack as opposed to a bottle...look in the produce section where they have the prepared foods. If I don't feel like making fresh salsa, I buy from restaurants that I know have good salsas. Here in SA that would be either La Fonda Oak Hills or Chachos.

But I'd check at HEB...ask them if they sell the "Fresher Lasting" salsa (I think that's what it's called)

BacktoBasics
01-14-2008, 10:54 AM
Well yeah that would be a problem if you keep using your patients to make salsa. Do you ground them up or just boil them alive?
:lol alright I fixed it. Its early.

lebomb
01-14-2008, 11:06 AM
The best store bought bar none that I have EVER had is HEB brand in the produce section........as Sunshine said. Its very fresh and comes in a zip lock style plastic bag. Try it, and let me know what you think.

01-14-2008, 11:09 AM
Also, and you may not believe me, but try the salsa you can get from Bill Miller's. You won't be disappointed.

leemajors
01-14-2008, 11:09 AM
i like the 505 organic salsa they have at the sam's club here in austin. it's from new mexico and is heavy on the green chiles, and light on cilantro. delicious.

http://www.505chile.com/makedifference.php

mrsmaalox
01-14-2008, 11:14 AM
The best store bought bar none that I have EVER had is HEB brand in the produce section........as Sunshine said. Its very fresh and comes in a zip lock style plastic bag. Try it, and let me know what you think.
I've heard that salsa is copied from La Fogata's recipe.

mrsmaalox
01-14-2008, 11:18 AM
I like a brand called "El Pinto" and is also from New Mexico. I don't usually care for green chile salsa, but I think this one is excellent. Perfect for huevos rancheros. They also have an excellent red salsa. This brand doesn't seem as salty as others. If I just want a small amt real fast I'll use a small can of Herdez Salsa Casera.

degenerate_gambler
01-14-2008, 11:20 AM
It can be a pain in the ass at times but I'm a gamer....I've been in this position before....I have to fight through the adversity...my back up against the wall, you know....taking it a day at a time....but I gotta step up and make it anyway....

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-14-2008, 11:30 AM
http://www.hatchmexicanfood.com/sadies.htm

Order Sadie's online....it's the best salsa out there if you can handle the heat. Delicioso! :tu

Sunshine
01-14-2008, 11:33 AM
It can be a pain in the ass at times but I'm a gamer....I've been in this position before....I have to fight through the adversity...my back up against the wall, you know....taking it a day at a time....but I gotta step up and make it anyway....

My salsa takes 5 minutes to make, tops.

3 or 4 med tomatoes
1-2 med onions
2 jalapenos

Chop it all up, throw it in the food processor, run it for about 45 seconds, and voila....fresh salsa. The hardest part is letting it sit in the fridge over night before eating it.

Shelly
01-14-2008, 11:45 AM
I personally don't like ANY of the bottled salsas. HEB might sell a "fresh" salsa that comes in a sealed plastic pack as opposed to a bottle...look in the produce section where they have the prepared foods. If I don't feel like making fresh salsa, I buy from restaurants that I know have good salsas. Here in SA that would be either La Fonda Oak Hills or Chachos.

But I'd check at HEB...ask them if they sell the "Fresher Lasting" salsa (I think that's what it's called)

The ones in the pouch are really good and you can get them in various degrees of hotness.

degenerate_gambler
01-14-2008, 11:46 AM

3 or 4 med tomatoes
1-2 med onions
2 jalapenos

Chop it all up, throw it in the food processor, run it for about 45 seconds, and voila....fresh salsa. The hardest part is letting it sit in the fridge over night before eating it.

That's pretty much mine plus a tsp. garlic, 1/2 of salt and 1/4 pepper and some cilantro. Maybe every other batch I'll make it a chipotle or two minus the seeds to give it a smoky flavor.

Shelly
01-14-2008, 11:46 AM
http://www.hatchmexicanfood.com/sadies.htm

Order Sadie's online....it's the best salsa out there if you can handle the heat. Delicioso! :tu

New Mexico has got to have the hottest salsas around! When we were in Santa Fe, I got the Christmas blend...my God, I'm pretty sure there was steam coming out of my ears.

degenerate_gambler
01-14-2008, 11:49 AM
New Mexico has got to have the hottest salsas around! When we were in Santa Fe, I got the Christmas blend...my God, I'm pretty sure there was steam coming out of my ears.

It's hard to enjoy it when you're having to chase it with a gallon of water.

BacktoBasics
01-14-2008, 11:51 AM

3 or 4 med tomatoes
1-2 med onions
2 jalapenos

I can't make easy quick salsa I'll only end up being disappointed. Takes about 20-30 minutes and then sets in the fridge.

2 white onions
3 tomatoes
3 tomatillos
2 Serrano peppers
4 cloves of garlic
Huge chunk of Cilantro
Garlic Salt
Celery Salt
Regular sea salt or kosher salt to taste at the end
Fresh ground pepper
Splash of green olive juice
4 or so tablespoons of pickle juice
Juice from 3 to 4 limes
very small amount of cumin
very small amount of paprika

Cover and set in fridge at least 2 hours before serving

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-14-2008, 11:52 AM

I've had salsa so hot here that it spontaneously initiated a gag reflex when you eat it...not because it tastes bad but because it's so freaking hot.

People insist on salsa being hot here. You can't be a gringo. Don't let 'em see your esophagus close up from the heat!!

Shelly
01-14-2008, 11:52 AM
It's hard to enjoy it when you're having to chase it with a gallon of water.

Ya...and I love hot salsas, but this was too hot!

ORION
01-14-2008, 01:30 PM
salsa with too much tomato sucks

Shelly
01-14-2008, 01:57 PM
We got this recipe from some Mexican restaurant in Tucson. It's really good! Go easy on the habanero and I usually add another avocado because I heart it so

8 tomatoes diced
1 clove garlic minced
1 fresh habanero chile diced
1 avocado diced
8 oz can diced green chiles
1/4 oz fresh oregano minced
1 small bunch cilantro minced
1 fresh jalapeno diced
1 small zucchini diced
1 small cucumber diced
1 bunch green onions diced
juice of 1/2 lemon or lime

Oh, Gee!!
01-14-2008, 04:14 PM
frito lay makes a good salsa

u2sarajevo
01-14-2008, 04:59 PM
http://images-cdn01.associatedcontent.com/image/A5157/51572/470_51572.jpg

PM5K
01-14-2008, 05:02 PM
I'm sure you could get Jacala to mail you some, I also like Julios salsa with the Julios chips...

tlongII
01-14-2008, 05:28 PM
Reser's

Looking for a new, low-fat salad dressing? How about an omelet topper? Or perhaps a new take on an old chip dipping favorite? Reser's Baja Café salsas are the perfect solution. With flavors like Pico de Gallo, Green Chile and our family favorite Original and Mild recipes, these salsas are sure to please even the most discriminating salsa palate.

Original
This spicy Mexican table salsa is chunky, fresh-tasting and pleasantly piquant. It contains diced tomatoes, onions, jalapeno peppers and Reser's special blend of spices.

Mild
Chunky and fresh-tasting. Just like Original Salsa, but made with fewer hot jalapeno peppers.

Pico de Gallo
A chunky premium salsa with crisp onions, celery and plenty of fresh cilantro flavor. The name means "beak of the rooster" and refers to chunky vegetables.

Margarita
Diced tomatoes, green chilies and crispy fresh onions give this salsa the distinctive fresh flavor and appearance. A mild heat level make the salsa perfect for the whole family.

Green Chili
This chunky salsa has roasted peeled green chilies, fiery jalapenos and zesty tomatilos.

Marklar MM
01-14-2008, 05:32 PM
I like the good old Tostitos and Chi Chi salsas.

dallaskd
01-14-2008, 05:33 PM
If hot sauce counts than Cholula or Lousiana Hot Sauce.

PM5K
01-14-2008, 05:35 PM
If hot sauce counts than Cholula or Lousiana Hot Sauce.

I like Franks...

midgetonadonkey
01-14-2008, 05:46 PM
http://static.flickr.com/91/281880366_7339ede002_m.jpg

I use the red. It's not salsa but it's hot and good.

BacktoBasics
01-14-2008, 05:57 PM
http://static.flickr.com/91/281880366_7339ede002_m.jpg

I use the red. It's not salsa but it's hot and good.
I've used those in chili.

timvp
01-14-2008, 06:05 PM
http://www.texastexassalsa.com/v/vspfiles/images/products/perfect-hot-lg.gif

http://www.texastexassalsa.com/v/vspfiles/images/products/texas-scream-lg.gif

I've tried a lot of different brands of salsa and that's the best I've had. Not as good as homemade or even restaurant salsa, but it's about as good as you can get in a jar.

JoeChalupa
01-14-2008, 06:15 PM
I use the Magic Bullet to make my salsa in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 seconds. But for store brought I like HEB chipolte.