PDA

View Full Version : Best Big Men In The League Today

duncan228
01-14-2008, 11:54 AM
I put this here because of Duncan.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/basketball/bulls/cs-080113samsmithnbacenters,1,7175956.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

Soon to be front and center: Magic's Howard

By Sam Smith
Tribune pro basketball reporter

The Bulls hit Florida this week, which is both the birthplace and resting ground for centers.

On Tuesday it's Orlando, where Shaquille O'Neal started in 1992 and where Dwight Howard appears to be starting a reign as maybe the league's most dominant. That's the title O'Neal gave himself, and while he doesn't live up to it much anymore, he is due back from hip replacement — I mean hip treatments — on Wednesday to face the Bulls.

Magic coachStan Van Gundy had O'Neal in Miami before Pat Riley took away the team and won the 2006 title. Van Gundy sees Howard as an emerging O'Neal. "He's nowhere close to where he can get to," Van Gundy said. "He still needs to mature and understand the way he can impact the team and the game when he's not scoring.

"As guys mature, they understand their presence also creates shots [for teammates]. People make adjustments on him and he struggles at times. Udonis Haslem played him well, but he still got 29 [points] and 21 [rebounds]. When he puts the pieces in place, he can be the best in the league at his position."

Which got me to thinking about big men in the game today. Here's one list of the best:

1. Tim Duncan, Spurs: The Big Fundamental, as O'Neal appropriately named him, plays both ends, is unselfish and a winner. Kevin Garnett would follow here, but he does so much on the perimeter as well.

2. Yao Ming, Rockets. Though slower than Duncan, he works at both ends and can play inside and out with an excellent shot.

3. Amare Stoudemire, Suns. More of a face-up player without a great post-up game. But he's quick, strong and active and has improved his shooting.

4. Howard, Magic. Once he expands his game with a shot, he'll be Duncanesque. He's more powerful now, but still seeking his own shot too much. With a good point guard, he'd already be challenging Duncan.

5. Carlos Boozer, Jazz. Maybe best second-round pick ever. Smallish, but good with both hands to the basket and a solid shot.

6. Marcus Camby, Nuggets. Strictly on the defensive end, but he has truly grown into a presence.

7. Andrew Bynum, Lakers. Just one season so far, but he looks like a true center with soft hands, good feet and a shot. Still needs some toughness.

8. Tyson Chandler, Hornets. Having Chris Paul helps, but he is developing some offense and chases everything on defense. Still weak, though.

9. Chris Kaman, Clippers. Good all-around presence with a decent shot and reactions on defense, but can disappear.

10. O'Neal, Miami. Does the Big Guy have anything left? We'll see starting this week, and if he doesn't, who knows what will happen. But he's an all-timer in play and personality.

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-14-2008, 11:56 AM
When I look at that list I realize how much a young DRob would have dominated the league today.

ambchang
01-14-2008, 11:59 AM
Sam Smith is a tool. Yao Ming's and Chris Kaman's defense should work against them, not for them.

Matchman
01-14-2008, 12:04 PM
Yao's defense only works against him when he is dead tired in the 4th Quarter. Otherwise, he is a respectable defensive big man who averages 10 rebs and 2 blocks.

And people should stop saying how he should average 15rebs and 5 blks with his height. One should know his height is NOT really working FOR him. I am sure if he is 7'3" he would be more dominant.

By the Way, where is Kevin Garnett?! :wtf

TwoHandJam
01-14-2008, 12:08 PM
No Elton Brand? Sure he's injured now but he belongs on that list. Weak excuse for keeping KG off the list too.

ambchang
01-14-2008, 12:17 PM
Yao's defense only works against him when he is dead tired in the 4th Quarter. Otherwise, he is a respectable defensive big man who averages 10 rebs and 2 blocks.

And people should stop saying how he should average 15rebs and 5 blks with his height. One should know his height is NOT really working FOR him. I am sure if he is 7'3" he would be more dominant.

By the Way, where is Kevin Garnett?! :wtf

The reason Yao doesn't average 15 and 5 is because of his short arms, he's not T-Rex level, but still has short arms relative to his height.
And his height does work for him, nobody can block his jump shots with regularity when playing him man to man.

Yao is slow sliding his feet, has average positioning, and doesn't quite know when to jump (nor could he jump very high, but that is not necessary).

duncan228
01-14-2008, 12:20 PM
Smith "hid" his reason for no Garnett with Duncan:

"Kevin Garnett would follow here, but he does so much on the perimeter as well."

Medvedenko
01-14-2008, 12:35 PM
Yeah, All Jefferson should be on this list....just on a shitty team. I like Drew's position...so far I would put him behind those guys...

JamStone
01-14-2008, 12:38 PM
If you're going to put a guy like Marcus Camby on there who has extremely limited offense, how are you going to find an excuse to exclude Kevin Garnett because he has a diversified offense? Plus Yao probably shoots almost as many jumpers as KG does.

timmy21_4rings
01-14-2008, 12:49 PM
He failed to give definition for Big-Men.....Rasheed Wallace name is missing...KG and Dirk not considered as Bigs?

m33p0
01-14-2008, 01:15 PM
apparently, his list only includes those who primarily work inside. that's why no garnett and no wallace. the omission of elton brand is kinda mystifying.

ThomasGranger
01-14-2008, 01:17 PM
I would put Bosh ahead of some of the last names on that list.

mrsmaalox
01-14-2008, 01:19 PM
I put this here because of Duncan.

REALLY?! ;)

MoSpur
01-14-2008, 01:19 PM
I'm sorry, but I don't think of Dirk when I think of Big Men in the league. I respect his game and think he is awesome, but don't think of him as a Big Man.

resistanze
01-14-2008, 01:31 PM
What a messed up list. Garnett, Bosh, Sheed are not there but Camby and Chandler are?

phxspurfan
01-14-2008, 01:34 PM
Sadly, if Zo hadn't gotten hurt, he'd be above most centers and right behind Camby on defense.

And Ben Wallace deserves an honorable mention somewhere with all of his DPOY hardware.

duncan228
01-14-2008, 01:59 PM
REALLY?! ;)

Yes, really! You're not surprised? :lol

I was going to put it in NBA Central because the focus was Howard, and the list opens up all the league wide debate.

But I just couldn't do it with Duncan at number one. :)

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-14-2008, 05:24 PM
Disgusting list. You can tell he just scrapped this up. None of it is thought through.