PDA

View Full Version : Attn: Spurs fans who are also Cowboys fans

mavsluva
01-14-2008, 12:01 PM
I have a question for all of you Spurs fans that are also Cowboys fans as well. Please note that I'm not attempting to stir up some dirt in regards to what you may perceive as jealousy. It's just a question and nothing more.

We all know that the Cowboys lost yesterday. You Spurs fans that are Cowboys fans as well were probably pretty bummed just like the many residents of the city of Dallas are today. But you know what I have NOT heard one single Cowboy fan say in regards to the loss? I have not heard the infamous, "Well at least we have 5 titles under our belt."

On the flip side, should the Spurs not win the championship this year, you will hear 95% or more of the Spurs fans say, "Well at least we have 4 titles under our belts." And they will say this to themselves and towards the fans of the other team that kept them from winning the title.

My question is: Why is that? I'll go ahead and forecast the "You're a Mavs fan and you're just jealous of the Spurs" response right now. But that is not what this is about. I could careless if the Cowboys or Mavs ever win a title (or another title) so keep that in mind when responding to this thread.

Thanks

2centsworth
01-14-2008, 12:05 PM
because 5 titles happened so long ago. The spurs are in the mist of their title runs.

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-14-2008, 12:05 PM
Simple. People from Dallas are too stupid to remember that the Cowboys ever won a title.

ancestron
01-14-2008, 12:06 PM
How long has it been since the Cowboys won a title?

Nice way of "not" mentioning they have 5 btw

BonnerDynasty
01-14-2008, 12:09 PM
Cowboys are loved by the entire country, pumped full of money, as mainstream as you can get, over-rated.

Spurs are the Truth.

mavsluva
01-14-2008, 12:09 PM
How long has it been since the Cowboys won a title?

Nice way of "not" mentioning they have 5 btw

If you ask me, I don't think it really matters. A loss is a loss regardless of what took place in the past. Having a title or more titles does not make losing more "okay".

johngateswhiteley
01-14-2008, 12:10 PM
I have a question for all of you Spurs fans that are also Cowboys fans as well. Please note that I'm not attempting to stir up some dirt in regards to what you may perceive as jealousy. It's just a question and nothing more.

We all know that the Cowboys lost yesterday. You Spurs fans that are Cowboys fans as well were probably pretty bummed just like the many residents of the city of Dallas are today. But you know what I have NOT heard one single Cowboy fan say in regards to the loss? I have not heard the infamous, "Well at least we have 5 titles under our belt."

On the flip side, should the Spurs not win the championship this year, you will hear 95% or more of the Spurs fans say, "Well at least we have 4 titles under our belts." And they will say this to themselves and towards the fans of the other team that kept them from winning the title.

My question is: Why is that? I'll go ahead and forecast the "You're a Mavs fan and you're just jealous of the Spurs" response right now. But that is not what this is about. I could careless if the Cowboys or Mavs ever win a title (or another title) so keep that in mind when responding to this thread.

Thanks

good point. its cause most Spurs fans are sensitive and not too bright. as for me, i hate the cowboys...fuck em.

urunobili
01-14-2008, 12:20 PM

Thanks
this kind of attitude is what makes me desire that the city of San Antonio gets its own Football franchise... how ironic it would be if Cuban creates that new league they've been talking about... that San Antonio may bless a football team as well...

:smokin

fyatuk
01-14-2008, 12:28 PM
this kind of attitude is what makes me desire that the city of San Antonio gets its own Football franchise... how ironic it would be if Cuban creates that new league they've been talking about... that San Antonio may bless a football team as well...

:smokin

Cuban's not creating the league, Hambrecht is. Cuban will be a franchise owner (LA franchise according to rumor), and a publicity person. We should find out the teams sometime this week, again according to rumor. San Antonio will almost definitely have a team.

Back to topic. I think it's stupid to resort to ring smack. I mean, if you have all these rings, especially if they are recent, and you still got beat, doesn't that make the other teams accomplishment MORE?

hater
01-14-2008, 12:30 PM
I was so happy Cowboys lost. they are like the Lakers, full of bandwagon fans

ancestron
01-14-2008, 12:31 PM
So if the Spurs played the Cowboys in a baseball game who would win?

mavsluva
01-14-2008, 12:37 PM
[QUOTE=adam8065]Um...Dallas hasn't won a damn playoff game in 12 years!!!!!!!!! San Antonio is the defending NBA Champs there is a huge difference! [QUOTE]

So if the Spurs don't win it this year, then what's the difference?

(None.)

mavsluva
01-14-2008, 12:39 PM
So if the Spurs played the Cowboys in a baseball game who would win?

While that doesn't make too much sense, I'd still be willing to bet that if the Spurs lost this baseball game against the Cowboys, then the Spurs fans would once again say, "Well we've got more titles in the last 10 years than you do."

Viva Las Espuelas
01-14-2008, 12:47 PM
dallas fans, be it cowboys or mav fans, are passionate, but they're the most fairweather fans i've seen. i've lived in dfw metroplex for almost 15 years and you'll win the super bowl after one victory and you're crap if you lose a game. i know every city is like that, but it is no joke in dfw metroplex. plus cowboy fans aren't as stupid acting as mav "fans" can be.

2centsworth
01-14-2008, 12:50 PM
[QUOTE=adam8065]Um...Dallas hasn't won a damn playoff game in 12 years!!!!!!!!! San Antonio is the defending NBA Champs there is a huge difference! [QUOTE]

So if the Spurs don't win it this year, then what's the difference?

(None.)
we tried to explain it to you. Now anything more from you is excuse city for your choking teams.

I love the Cowboys, but there's obviously something wrong with the City of Dallas.

CubanMustGo
01-14-2008, 12:50 PM
All I know is that when people in Dallas ask me why I am still wearing an old Houston Oilers jacket that I can tell them that it's because the Oilers have won as many playoff games in the last ten years as the Cowboys.

MrChug
01-14-2008, 12:55 PM
mavsluva...I WHOLEHEARTEDLY DISAGREE WITH THE ARGUMENTS ABOVE.

My reason is: I think you're question is a little superficial...it has nothing to do with time nor the importance of current vs. past. If ever a team has reached the pinnacle of a championship in a sport, they should be revered for that accomplishment.

HOWEVER...we're not comparing apples with apples. We're talking about 2 different sports. Your insinuation is obviously geared toward your love for the Mavericks and you will try to make some comparison to a football team's accomplishments vs. ours. OKAY...we "GET IT". We don't HAVE a football team to cheer on, so many of us have adopted yours.

But if we're going to talk about basketball (which we try our best to on a BASKETBALL forum), let's talk basketball. Let me explain: If we had an NFL franchise and 0 championships and your Cowboys had 5, you'd think it INSANE if we as NFL fans discounted the FIVE TIMES you won just because you haven't won one lately. You still won. You still went down in history. In my scenario, I haven't any reason to discount yours.

Kori Ellis
01-14-2008, 12:55 PM
I don't care about the rest of this mumbo jumbo post. But I'm curious as to why you don't care if the teams you love win a Championship?

Extra Stout
01-14-2008, 01:01 PM
But you know what I have NOT heard one single Cowboy fan say in regards to the loss? I have not heard the infamous, "Well at least we have 5 titles under our belt."

Do you know how, say, at Christmas, if you give an adult a nice gift, he or she might use it and appreciate it for years, whereas some spoiled kid might play with his new toys for 30 minutes before he gets bored and starts whining again?

It's the same dynamic.

samikeyp
01-14-2008, 01:06 PM

So you know exactly how many Spurs fans there are in the world and you were able to talk to each one of them and determine that 95% always drop the "We won 4 rings" card.

Wow....you must have a lot of free time. :)

Vingianx
01-14-2008, 01:11 PM
So why are you bringing it up?

CubanMustGo
01-14-2008, 01:12 PM
So why are you bringing it up?

bc he has 0 NBA championships and 0 NFL playoff wins in the last decade to take pride in ...

spursfan09
01-14-2008, 01:24 PM

Thanks

Because we barely just won the championship. Not like the cowboys who won years and years ago. Plus we would still have the same 3 who won us our championships next year which gives us help that we could win more.

mavsluva
01-14-2008, 01:25 PM
I don't care about the rest of this mumbo jumbo post. But I'm curious as to why you don't care if the teams you love win a Championship?

Why don't I care? It's because my team is not sleeping in my bed or paying my bills at the end of the month. I watch my team because I enjoy the sport. And if I can't remember the sole reason as to why I'm watching the game, then I simply don't watch.

mavsluva
01-14-2008, 01:27 PM
bc he has 0 NBA championships and 0 NFL playoff wins in the last decade to take pride in ...

My passion and pride does not reside in how my sports team performs. My passion and pride resides in things that actually love me back (family and friends).

mavsluva
01-14-2008, 01:28 PM
Remember people, I'm just inquiring about why Spurs fans flaunt the "4 title" statement when most other sports fans of other teams don't. It's not a big deal.

spursfan09
01-14-2008, 01:29 PM
Why don't I care? It's because my team is not sleeping in my bed or paying my bills at the end of the month. I watch my team because I enjoy the sport. And if I can't remember the sole reason as to why I'm watching the game, then I simply don't watch.

If you really don't care about your teams, then why should you care about how Spurs fans will act? I mean what are you trying to prove? Anyways I could care less if cowboy fans went around saying "well we have 5 championships under our belts" Doesn't change the fact that yesterday's team choked.

samikeyp
01-14-2008, 01:29 PM
Why is that? I'll go ahead and forecast the "You're a Mavs fan and you're just jealous of the Spurs" response right now.

No...not trying to stir up anything at all.

:)

samikeyp
01-14-2008, 01:30 PM
Remember people, I'm just inquiring about why Spurs fans flaunt the "4 title" statement when most other sports fans of other teams don't. It's not a big deal.

yes because all Spurs fans think alike...

no, wait...just 95% of them.
;)

samikeyp
01-14-2008, 01:30 PM
If you really don't care about your teams, then why should you care about how Spurs fans will act? I mean what are you trying to prove? Anyways I could care less if cowboy fans went around saying "well we have 5 championships under our belts" Doesn't change the fact that yesterday's team choked.

QFT

mavsluva
01-14-2008, 01:37 PM

Not trying to prove anything. Just something that crossed my mind this morning. I have great respect for San Antonio so please don't think I'm bagging on them within this post.

MoSpur
01-14-2008, 01:37 PM
That's an interesting question. I think it has to do with how long its been since the Dallas Cowboys have won a playoff game. It would sound kind of dumb for Cowboys fans to say to Giants fans, "well, its okay we've got Five championships." However, if
the Carolina Panthers fans were talking smack to Cowboys fans, it would probably be okay to point to the five championships because the Carolina Panthers have only been in the league 12 seasons and lost in the Super Bowl (even though it was a surpise they were there).

The Spurs have won four titles recently and Dallas hasn't won anything and have choked bad. That's why Spurs fans point to the four titles when Mavs fans come in here and talk smack. Thats my opinion at least.

spursfan09
01-14-2008, 01:38 PM
QFT

Sorry but wha?

samikeyp
01-14-2008, 01:38 PM
Quoted For Truth.

DallasFan
01-14-2008, 01:40 PM
I could careless if the Cowboys or Mavs ever win a title (or another title)

..and you're a Mavs fan??? Really?

samikeyp
01-14-2008, 01:46 PM
It's dumb period.

What a team has done in the past has no direct bearing on the games going on at the moment. The fact alone that the Spurs are the defending champs does nothing to win a ball game at the moment. I always find it odd that when a Spur fan mentions that SA is the defending champ, you usually hear a Mav fan drop the "that's in the past" card but last season when a Mav fan would drop the "we are the defending conference champs" card and a Spurs fans would do the same "that's in the past" the Mav fan who brought it up would insist that it was different.

mavsluva
01-14-2008, 01:46 PM
..and you're a Mavs fan??? Really?

Hey, if the Mavs win a title, then great. If not, that's cool too. But who am I to pound my chest over an accomplishment that's not really "mine"? That being said, if the Mavs win the title this year, then I have NO right to use it against any Spurs fan because in reality, I didn't do a damn thing to help them win that title.

spursfan09
01-14-2008, 01:47 PM
Quoted For Truth.

oh :lol

I thought it was "Quit Feeding Trolls"

mavsluva
01-14-2008, 01:51 PM
I'm sorry folks. I just can't understand how people get so emotionally wrapped up in sports. It's great to be a fan of something, but at the end of the day, it's important to realize that we're all nothing more than just "fans".

samikeyp
01-14-2008, 01:51 PM
oh :lol

I thought it was "Quit Feeding Trolls"

:lol Well....we messed that up in this thread!

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-14-2008, 01:53 PM

Thanks

1. Spurs titles are recent.

2. You won't hear that from Cowboys fans because today they are too busy blaming one of the following:

* it's all b/c Jessica took Romo and Witten to Mexico to party

* it's Crayton's fault for talking trash and he's a scrub who can't catch

* Romo isn't the QB we thought he was

* Jerry Jones sucks (no explanation given)

* Roy Williams is the worst safety in the league

* Flozell Adams is a walking false start machine

* Garrett is overrated as an OC

* Shouldn't be surprised by the outcome because Wade is the coach

And I live and work in Dallas, the above is all I heard all morning.

samikeyp
01-14-2008, 01:54 PM
AHF, you forgot the "All of the above" option. :)

sa_kid20
01-14-2008, 02:12 PM
As Spurs fans we can only sing the "at least we have 4 titles" thing for so long. If in the next 12 years we don't win another title and we get eliminated from the 2020 playoffs i don't think anybody will be saying "at least we have 4 titles" because it's no longer recent and wouldn't make sense. If the Celtics don't win the title this year i highly doubt their fans will be saying "at least we have 16 titles" We are defending champs and our run is still in the present and the Cowboys run isn't.

Kori Ellis
01-14-2008, 02:24 PM
TwquRPIEqHc

deadratsam
01-14-2008, 02:31 PM
Mavsluva, you might consider changing your name to "eh, perhaps I might spend some small amount of energy not cheering for, but rather observing the mavericks...I might even go so far as to buy a mavericks bumper sticker for my car...maybe... I don't really care though, so never mind me"

Kori, is that possible?

Spurminator
01-14-2008, 02:35 PM
I don't see the point of this thread.

You're asking us to rationalize arguments fans use when talking trash. There's no good logical explanation for why people trash talk about sports teams at all, let alone why people use certain arguments while trash talking.

If a Spurs fan says "At least we have 4 titles" that usually follows a Mavs/Suns/whoever fan going "HA HA U LOST!!" or something to that effect. Before we have to justify bringing up historical success, perhaps you could give us some insight on why fans feel the need to use the results of sporting events as a weapon to attack someone's pride.

Or you could just accept it all for what it is: amusement.

urunobili
01-14-2008, 02:37 PM
send PM's to them instead of creating a thread about it then.

Go STARS!!! :drunk

SAGambler
01-14-2008, 03:45 PM
Anyone that watched how the Cowboys played since the Green Bay game, should not be surprised that they lost yesterday. Their major problem....They hit their peak too early.

They would have probably been better of if they would have lost the Green Bay game. It might have put them on notice that their work wasn't done yet.

And has to the 4 rings the Spurs have won. Well, isn't the question really "But what have you done lately"? Those rings won't win them another championship. Only the guys on the floor can do that. And only if they want it bad enough.

Right now, I wouldn't put money on the Spurs winning it if the playoffs started tomorrow.

ancestron
01-14-2008, 03:53 PM

What the fuck man. What do you want to hear?
"We do it because we are stupid, ignorant, idiotic morons who like to brag about our 4 titles because we don't understand that it really doesn't matter."
This is probably the dumbest question I've heard. What are you 12?

Did Lakers fans brag about their three-peat? Yes.
Did Bulls fans brag about their REPEAT three-peat? Yes.
Do Patriots fans brag about their 3 superbowl titles? Yes.

Is Mavsluva jealous of winning sports teams to the point where he creates threads on message boards trying to diminish the relevance of another team's success??
obviously

and by the way, when Spurs fans brag about having "4", that is a pretty significant achievement in the NBA. Only The Celtics, Lakers, and Bulls have more. So STFU PLZ.

703 Spurz
01-14-2008, 05:19 PM
I'm sorry folks. I just can't understand how people get so emotionally wrapped up in sports. It's great to be a fan of something, but at the end of the day, it's important to realize that we're all nothing more than just "fans".

I think at the end of the day that most people know it's just "sports".

Doesn't mean you can't get passionate about it though. And what better place to do that at then on this site

2centsworth
01-14-2008, 06:53 PM
Mavs fan can be such pusses.

ShoogarBear
01-14-2008, 10:16 PM
I am immune to this thread.

:elephant:elephant:elephant

MrChug
01-16-2008, 11:54 AM
What the fuck man. What do you want to hear?
"We do it because we are stupid, ignorant, idiotic morons who like to brag about our 4 titles because we don't understand that it really doesn't matter."
This is probably the dumbest question I've heard. What are you 12?

Did Lakers fans brag about their three-peat? Yes.
Did Bulls fans brag about their REPEAT three-peat? Yes.
Do Patriots fans brag about their 3 superbowl titles? Yes.

Is Mavsluva jealous of winning sports teams to the point where he creates threads on message boards trying to diminish the relevance of another team's success??
obviously

and by the way, when Spurs fans brag about having "4", that is a pretty significant achievement in the NBA. Only The Celtics, Lakers, and Bulls have more. So STFU PLZ.

^^^^What he said.