View Full Version : *Official* UFC 80 Thread - Penn vs Stevenson
LEONARD
01-14-2008, 12:32 PM
UFC 80: JANUARY 19, 2008 in New Castle England
-Joe Stevenson (#8 Lightweight in the World)* vs. BJ Penn
-Gabriel Gonzaga (#5 Heavyweight in the World)* vs. Fabricio Werdum (#8 Heavyweight in the World)*
-Marcus Davis (#10 Welterweight in the World)* vs. Jess Liaudin
-Jason Lambert vs. Wilson Gouveia
-Kendall Grove vs. Jorge Rivera
Preliminary Bouts:
-Alessio Sakara vs. James Lee
-Sam Stout vs. Per Eklund
-Paul Kelly vs. Paul Taylor
-Colin Robinson vs. Antoni Hardonk
Gonzaga vs Werdum (their first fight)
http://mmafightvideos.blogspot.com/2008/01/gabriel-gonzaga-vs-fabricio-werdum-1.html
BJ is ready
http://www.bjpenn.com/2008/
I found this interesting...Sherk will be the 3rd man in the booth for the BJ / Stevenson fight...
from yahoo:
That’s why Sherk asked White to be part of the television crew. “I know if B.J. wins, he’s going to get in there and talk crap about me,” Sherk said. “I wanted to be there so I could get in there and defend myself.
“I told Dana I’d love to be a part of this thing. I still feel like I’m the champion until someone beats me. They may give a belt to whoever wins that fight, but the people will know who the real champion really is.“
Liaudin articles
http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=5458
http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles.asp?n_id=10799
Grove article
http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=5450
Just for the hell of it…BJ Penn vs Ryoto Machida in K1 Hero’s
http://mmafightvideos.blogspot.com/2008/01/bj-penn-vs-lyoto-machida-k-1-heros-1.html
Sam better make the on air card.
dbreiden83080
01-14-2008, 12:42 PM
Gonzaga is in desperate need of a good performance after getting whipped by Randy.
LEONARD
01-14-2008, 12:58 PM
Sam better make the on air card.
Yea, I'd like to see that one too...
Yea, I'd like to see that one too...
I suppose we should have a solid idea of the swing bout by Wednesday.
As of last night UFC.com had that fight last.
In my opinion Sam Stout is the best "unsung" prospect in the UFC. He has MASSIVE skill and I rarely ever hear people talk about him. Kid could be a massive threat in a year or so.
LEONARD
01-14-2008, 01:31 PM
MMAWeekly shows Kendall Grove vs. Jorge Rivera as the swing and Stout listed below Sakara vs Lee.
Preliminary Bouts:
-Alessio Sakara vs. James Lee
-Sam Stout vs. Per Eklund
Thats only 4 fights though, certainly Grove will be shown and have another swing?
tlongII
01-14-2008, 03:31 PM
Not a very good card, imo.
dbreiden83080
01-14-2008, 03:41 PM
No, not a great card, Penn is fun to watch fight but other than that, nothing really that gets me all excited to plunk down 40 bucks for this.
This time of year is always bad for PPV's, concert sales, movie sales because of how expensive this time of year is because of the holidays.
So I always assume that’s why the MMA cards are always poor this time of year. Anyone else agree with this?
But we get a ton of free fights so oh well.
LEONARD
01-14-2008, 04:16 PM
Countdown to UFC 80 debuts tonight...
http://mmajunkie.com/2008/01/14/countdown-to-ufc-80-debuts-tonight/
Gonzaga interview (video)
http://bloodyelbow.com/story/2008/1/14/133155/997
I actually like this card well enough. 5 top 10 guys (BJ is top 10 despite not being ranked right now).
Joe vs. BJ...awesome
GG vs. Werdum - 2 top 10 HW's in a rematch from a couple yrs ago
Davis vs. Liaudin - 2 exciting guys with fight of the night potential
Lambert vs. Gouveia - I think Gouveia will make a big impact at LHW in 2008
Kendall Grove vs. Jorge Rivera - eh...
Stout vs Eklund - Stout is always exciting (see what Eklund has)
and watch out for James Lee!!! :clap
I will probably get fired up around Friday I suppose...
I think I am just bitter I am not assured to see Sam Stout. He has so much talent and potential.
dallaskd
01-14-2008, 05:36 PM
Joe Stevenson vs. BJ Penn
Gabriel Gonzaga vs. Fabricio Werdum
Marcus Davis vs. Jess Liaudin
Jason Lambert vs. Wilson Gouveia
Kendall Grove vs. Jorge Rivera
Alessio Sakara vs. James Lee
Sam Stout vs. Per Eklund
Paul Kelly vs. Paul Taylor
Colin Robinson vs. Antoni Hardonk
atxrocker
01-14-2008, 08:20 PM
meh...
LEONARD
01-15-2008, 09:10 AM
meh...
Thanks for the valuable insight...
Rip-Hamilton32
01-15-2008, 04:57 PM
i think joe daddy takes this fight by decision
LEONARD
01-15-2008, 06:54 PM
Greg Savage said that they bleeped (or muted?) when steroids were mentioned on Countdown to UFC 80 in regards to Sherk and why the LW title was up for grabs? Did anybody catch this? I missed the show last night. If that’s the case, WEAK!!!
And Dana puts his buddy Sean in the booth during the interim LW title fight. Curious to see if they even discuss what happened...I figure Sean will proclaim his innocence and talk about tainted supplements...
dallaskd
01-15-2008, 07:58 PM
Greg Savage said that they bleeped (or muted?) when steroids were mentioned on Countdown to UFC 80 in regards to Sherk and why the LW title was up for grabs? Did anybody catch this? I missed the show last night. If that’s the case, WEAK!!!
And Dana puts his buddy Sean in the booth during the interim LW title fight. Curious to see if they even discuss what happened...I figure Sean will proclaim his innocence and talk about tainted supplements...
im rewatching it and this what i got. im trying to get it word for word...
"This fight between BJ Penn and Joe Stevenson is for the Lightweight Championship of the UFC. Now, Sean Sherk was found guilty. He has been suspended by the California State Athletic Commision. Because of that, we stripped him of his title. So Bj and Joe are fighting for the ufc lightweight championship."
dallaskd
01-15-2008, 08:00 PM
he never stated steriods or what he was found guilty of.
LEONARD
01-16-2008, 09:08 AM
Weird...were 2 version aired? Click on part 1 of this...just about a minute in it addresses Sherk and says he tested positive for "anabaolic agents"...
Countdown to UFC 80 in 2 parts
http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/x426xk
http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/x427oh
I missed it when it aired on Monday, so that's the only one I've seen...
hmmmmmmm........I will check my DVR. I think I have Monday's version.
LEONARD
01-16-2008, 12:11 PM
Pre-fight interviews are showing up
http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=Multimedia.home
BJ & Joe interviews (video)
http://mmamania.com/2008/01/14/ufc-80-bj-penn-and-joe-stevenson-fight-talk-video/
BJ training pics
http://www.sherdog.com/news/pictures.asp?n_id=10828
Joe training pics
http://www.joestevenson.com/?q=image/tid/3
Werdum interview (video)
http://www.sherdog.com/videos/videos.asp?v_id=1407
Marcus Davis article
http://www.mmamadness.com/insight.html?newsitem_id=207
Liaudin video interview
http://www.sherdog.com/videos/videos.asp?v_id=1406
Lambert training pics
http://www.sherdog.com/news/pictures.asp?n_id=10808
Rivera article
http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=5465&zoneid=13
Taylor article
http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles.asp?n_id=10817
Eklund article
http://www.sherdog.com/news/interviews.asp?n_id=10814
oligarchy
01-16-2008, 01:18 PM
I think I am just bitter I am not assured to see Sam Stout. He has so much talent and potential.
Stout hasn't been really tested on the ground, so this is a good test. Of course, Sam could knock him out before he gets that chance. I'm picking Per for this one..
Joe Stevenson vs. BJ Penn
BJ just seems focused for this fight, and I expect him to come in ready to go the full 5 rounds. I don't think it will be needed though. Pellegrino gave Stevenson problems on the feet and on the ground. Penn has better hands and his takedown defense is fabulous. I expect BJ to win by Sub in the 2nd.
Gabriel Gonzaga vs. Fabricio Werdum
They have both grown in talent since their last meeting, but I think Gonzaga has grown a bit more. Gonzaga has the better wrestling, but Werdum has a slight advantage in the bjj. Gonzaga also has improved his standing game, and I expect this to be the difference. GG by UD.
Marcus Davis vs. Jess Liaudin
Marcus Davis, of course has great hands because he was formerly a boxer. As he showed against Paul Taylor though, he also has come along way with his ground game. I don't expect this to be a ground war, and expect Davis to win by KO/TKO in the 1st.
Jason Lambert vs. Wilson Gouveia
This is my FOTN candidate. Lambert has a good all-around game, even though he was mounted by Rashad. I think he is more of a force on the feet than Gouveia and that will be his game plan. Lambert by KO/TKO in the 2nd.
Kendall Grove vs. Jorge Rivera
Jorge doesn't really have any strengths that would give Grove any trouble. I expect Grove to use his reach to keep Rivera at a distance and take this to ground and submit Jorge early. Grove by Sub in the 1st.
Alessio Sakara vs. James Lee
Another against the grain pick. I don't really follow either of these fighters, but I noticed that Lee has never been knocked out. I expect some heavy hands to be thrown, but I expect Lee to come out on top. Lee by KO/TKO in the 3rd.
Sam Stout vs. Per Eklund
I may be going against the grain here. Stout definitely has the advantage on the feet here and will try to keep this fight standing. Eklund is excellent on the ground, but his takedowns aren't that spectacular but effective. Regardless, unless Sam gets a quick knockout, I expect this thing to go to the ground. At which point, I fully expect Per to pull out the Sub (ala Florian). Eklund by Sub in the 1st.
Paul Kelly vs. Paul Taylor
Paul Kelly seems to be brought in to fit into the hometown guy, but I don't think his perfect record will stay intact. Taylor just has more experience against the better opposition. Taylor by KO/TKO in the 1st.
Colin Robinson vs. Antoni Hardonk
Does anyone care who wins this fight?
Colin Robinson vs. Antoni Hardonk
Does anyone care who wins this fight?
Bas!
Stout hasn't been really tested on the ground, so this is a good test. Of course, Sam could knock him out before he gets that chance. I'm picking Per for this one..
Joe Stevenson vs. BJ Penn
BJ just seems focused for this fight, and I expect him to come in ready to go the full 5 rounds. I don't think it will be needed though. Pellegrino gave Stevenson problems on the feet and on the ground. Penn has better hands and his takedown defense is fabulous. I expect BJ to win by Sub in the 2nd.
Gabriel Gonzaga vs. Fabricio Werdum
They have both grown in talent since their last meeting, but I think Gonzaga has grown a bit more. Gonzaga has the better wrestling, but Werdum has a slight advantage in the bjj. Gonzaga also has improved his standing game, and I expect this to be the difference. GG by UD.
Marcus Davis vs. Jess Liaudin
Marcus Davis, of course has great hands because he was formerly a boxer. As he showed against Paul Taylor though, he also has come along way with his ground game. I don't expect this to be a ground war, and expect Davis to win by KO/TKO in the 1st.
Jason Lambert vs. Wilson Gouveia
This is my FOTN candidate. Lambert has a good all-around game, even though he was mounted by Rashad. I think he is more of a force on the feet than Gouveia and that will be his game plan. Lambert by KO/TKO in the 2nd.
Kendall Grove vs. Jorge Rivera
Jorge doesn't really have any strengths that would give Grove any trouble. I expect Grove to use his reach to keep Rivera at a distance and take this to ground and submit Jorge early. Grove by Sub in the 1st.
Alessio Sakara vs. James Lee
Another against the grain pick. I don't really follow either of these fighters, but I noticed that Lee has never been knocked out. I expect some heavy hands to be thrown, but I expect Lee to come out on top. Lee by KO/TKO in the 3rd.
Sam Stout vs. Per Eklund
I may be going against the grain here. Stout definitely has the advantage on the feet here and will try to keep this fight standing. Eklund is excellent on the ground, but his takedowns aren't that spectacular but effective. Regardless, unless Sam gets a quick knockout, I expect this thing to go to the ground. At which point, I fully expect Per to pull out the Sub (ala Florian). Eklund by Sub in the 1st.
Paul Kelly vs. Paul Taylor
Paul Kelly seems to be brought in to fit into the hometown guy, but I don't think his perfect record will stay intact. Taylor just has more experience against the better opposition. Taylor by KO/TKO in the 1st.
Colin Robinson vs. Antoni Hardonk
Does anyone care who wins this fight?
Nice write up oligarchy!
LEONARD
01-16-2008, 01:48 PM
Jason Lambert vs. Wilson Gouveia
This is my FOTN candidate. Lambert has a good all-around game, even though he was mounted by Rashad. I think he is more of a force on the feet than Gouveia and that will be his game plan. Lambert by KO/TKO in the 2nd.
Alessio Sakara vs. James Lee
Another against the grain pick. I don't really follow either of these fighters, but I noticed that Lee has never been knocked out. I expect some heavy hands to be thrown, but I expect Lee to come out on top. Lee by KO/TKO in the 3rd.
Gouveia = death by leg kicks :fro I wanna see a bunch more Gouveia this year...Lambert is a great guy to put him on the map at LHW for 2008.
and I think Lee is a great underdog play. Sakara is HUGELY over-rated and Lee is virtually unknown. I saw Lee completely school Travis Wiuff in LV at Pride 32...I was very impressed. Lee by guillotine choke in rd 1...easy one.
UFC 80: JANUARY 19, 2008 in New Castle England
Joe Stevenson vs. BJ Penn
-Gabriel Gonzaga vs. Fabricio Werdum
-Marcus Davis vs. Jess Liaudin
-Jason Lambert vs. Wilson Gouveia-Kendall Grove vs. Jorge Rivera
Preliminary Bouts:
-Alessio Sakara vs. James Lee
-Sam Stout vs. Per Eklund
hell I dunno.....
-Paul Kelly vs. Paul Taylor
-Colin Robinson vs. Antoni Hardonk
I can't quite figure out where BJ fits into the MMA matrix right now. He says he wants to fight until his 40's but only once or twice a year from here on out. I love his attitude though.
I wonder why Jens never ended up training with him.
oligarchy
01-16-2008, 02:38 PM
Gouveia = death by leg kicks :fro I wanna see a bunch more Gouveia this year...Lambert is a great guy to put him on the map at LHW for 2008.
and I think Lee is a great underdog play. Sakara is HUGELY over-rated and Lee is virtually unknown. I saw Lee completely school Travis Wiuff in LV at Pride 32...I was very impressed. Lee by guillotine choke in rd 1...easy one.
Yeah. Gouveia is underrated as well in the division, but there's something about Lambert that I like.
Are getting vbookie?
*******************************************
Here are the betting odds according to Sportsbook.com:
MAIN CARD
B.J. Penn (-290) vs. Joe Stevenson (+235)
Gabriel Gonzaga (-325) vs. Fabricio Werdum (+250)
Marcus Davis (-350) vs. Jess Liaudin (+275)
Kendall Grove (-350) vs. Jorge Rivera (+250)
Wilson Gouveia (-145) vs. Jason Lambert (+155)
UNDERCARD
Sam Stout (-315) vs. Per Eklund (+260)
Antoni Hardonk (-340) vs. Colin Robinson (+280)
Paul Taylor (-220) vs. Paul Kelly (+180)
Alessio Sakara (-150) vs. James Lee (+140)
LEONARD
01-17-2008, 01:05 PM
Sherdog pics/previews
http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles.asp?n_id=10844
http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles.asp?n_id=10842
Press conf is up on ufc.com's multimedia section too...
Tomas Rios got writing skillz.
cornbread
01-17-2008, 04:34 PM
UFC 80: JANUARY 19, 2008 in New Castle England
-Joe Stevenson (#8 Lightweight in the World)* vs. BJ Penn
-Gabriel Gonzaga (#5 Heavyweight in the World)* vs. Fabricio Werdum (#8 Heavyweight in the World)*
-Marcus Davis (#10 Welterweight in the World)* vs. Jess Liaudin
-Jason Lambert vs. Wilson Gouveia
-Kendall Grove vs. Jorge Rivera
3 out of 4 fighters in the main event are bjj world champions and Joe Stevenson is an accomplished submission wrestler. Any grappling fan should look forward to these fights. I just hope they don't stand and try to slug it out to avoid the others strenghths.
cornbread
01-17-2008, 04:37 PM
There's also the chance for the dreaded stalemate that can occur when two highly skilled grapplers fight. I can see that being in a possibilty with Werdum and Gonzaga on the ground but not BJ and Stevenson.
LEONARD
01-17-2008, 04:58 PM
I think BJ will stuff Joe's takedowns and pick him apart...I just can't see any way for Joe to win other than a decision... (I guess a cut is always an option)
I think GG will try to do the same, although Werdum has been training with CB so he might come in with a striking gameplan...worst case, he's more exciting than he was against AA and gets another fight.
cornbread
01-17-2008, 05:04 PM
Those predictions sound pretty solid. It would just be cool to see these matches live up to their potential in terms world class grappling.
LEONARD
01-17-2008, 05:30 PM
Those predictions sound pretty solid. It would just be cool to see these matches live up to their potential in terms world class grappling.
Same here...love a good ground fight (as long as it's not Hughes or Sherk laying on a guy while grinding on their face with elbows)...
cornbread
01-17-2008, 05:38 PM
(as long as it's not Hughes or Sherk laying on a guy while grinding on their face with elbows)...
At least it gives you a chance to a grab a beer, take a piss, make a sandwhich, etc...
I love a well executed ground game. I would be fine without a single punch thrown if the guys are skilled with good cardio.
LEONARD
01-18-2008, 09:30 AM
I broke back into the MMA gambling scene last night… :lol
I signed up on betus.com and put $100 on James F’n Lee to kick Sakara’s over-rated ass! He’s +150, so after he wins I’ll have $250 in my account…
He’s only +120 on Bodog…was +140, which means people are betting him fairly heavy. I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s the favorite by tomorrow…
Gouveia was the underdog a couple days ago and is now the favorite (I think he should’ve been the favorite to begin with).
These aren’t all current, but this is a great site for keeping up with odds on various sites.
http://zewkey.com/mma_betting_super_page.htm
fool!
Hey Leonard... pm Kori with betting odds holmes! I want vBookie!
oligarchy
01-18-2008, 11:02 AM
I think BJ will stuff Joe's takedowns and pick him apart...I just can't see any way for Joe to win other than a decision... (I guess a cut is always an option)
I think GG will try to do the same, although Werdum has been training with CB so he might come in with a striking gameplan...worst case, he's more exciting than he was against AA and gets another fight.
Unless BJ's gas tank fails after the 2nd/3rd, I don't see how Stevenson could win.
Werdum doesn't have good wrestling/takedowns at all, and GG is going to keep it on his feet. Werdum likes to keep a slow pace, so you might see a AA/Werdum type fight.
oligarchy
01-18-2008, 11:05 AM
I broke back into the MMA gambling scene last night… :lol
I signed up on betus.com and put $100 on James F’n Lee to kick Sakara’s over-rated ass! He’s +150, so after he wins I’ll have $250 in my account…
He’s only +120 on Bodog…was +140, which means people are betting him fairly heavy. I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s the favorite by tomorrow…
Gouveia was the underdog a couple days ago and is now the favorite (I think he should’ve been the favorite to begin with).
These aren’t all current, but this is a great site for keeping up with odds on various sites.
http://zewkey.com/mma_betting_super_page.htm
Shouldn't you start small? :)
I put money on Eklund and Lee. +260 on Eklund and +140 on Lee (50 on each). I think it's 300 in the account after I win :elephant
LEONARD
01-18-2008, 11:35 AM
I've tried the small bet thing and didn't really get anywhere...up and down and stayed about where I started. If I hit this one, I'll dump the $100 back and play around with the $150 on future cards...or just pick one and try to build it quick...
and if Lee loses, I'm DONE :lol
oligarchy
01-18-2008, 02:29 PM
until the next good bet comes along ;)
Mr Dio
01-19-2008, 03:02 PM
Joe Stevenson vs. BJ Penn
Gabriel Gonzaga vs. Fabricio Werdum
Marcus Davis vs. Jess Liaudin
Jason Lambert vs. Wilson Gouveia
Kendall Grove vs. Jorge Rivera
Alessio Sakara vs. James Lee
Sam Stout vs. Per Eklund
Paul Kelly vs. Paul Taylor
Colin Robinson vs. Antoni Hardonk
I'd say DITTO to these picks...freakin' scary...you got access to my home cmptr DKD??? :lol
Jason v Wilson is the only one I was close to going the other way on.
holy shiat this card is amazing so far!!!!!! Massive KO'S!!!!!
LEONARD
01-19-2008, 04:32 PM
lol @ people that bitched and passed on this card...
and the 2 main fights are still coming up!
Mr Dio
01-19-2008, 04:55 PM
Wow, talk about a very UNimpressive win by Werdum...
Did GG just gas & & give up or what????
GG was dominating & making Werdum jump like a crippled flamingo til he lay down & gave up.
knees to the chin rocked him and he just gassed.
oh wow...guess were getting under card fights after the main event.
no mention of steroids with Sean...can't blame them...but people are going to be pissed. They are selling a product here, not delivering news.
Mr Dio
01-19-2008, 05:17 PM
Awesome fight by BJ so far, using all weapons to split JDS
Mr Dio
01-19-2008, 05:23 PM
BJ is so awesome he should just go to Nippon next wk, pick up a belt real quick & then come fight another UFC. Not like there's anyone over there that could beat him right now.
Mr Dio
01-19-2008, 05:33 PM
damn I hate elbows.
As much as I hate ropes?
Ropes are always, ALWAYS letting people calling themsleves fighters stop action or escape from defeat by sticking parts of their body outside.
Elbows, are to the arms what knees are to the legs..a weapon.
Mr Dio
01-19-2008, 05:36 PM
BJ won on the ground & standing up.......the result was known, the exact time wasn't.
I love the way a fight looks in a roped arena. I simply think you get a much better view.
But the dynamics of a fight in a roped arena suck for the reason you mentioned but also because it kills momentum and I hate how the refs get involved in a roped arena.
Elbows prematurely stop a fight all the time. I hate anything that makes a winner from a simple technicality.
I would love to replace elbows with knees to a downed opponent or at the least ban "ground and pound" elbows. Perhaps allow standing elbow throws.
Anyway...awesome fights! Anyone that skipped this made a horrible choice!
BJ won on the ground & standing up.......the result was known, the exact time wasn't.
he would have won without that elbow for sure.
oligarchy
01-20-2008, 01:01 AM
Damn. I got owned on this card. 50 bucks left in my account :( Great card for the money!
I will never gamble on sports. It would ruin it for me. lol
Just like fantasy sports...I can't enjoy the sport when I play fantasy.
oligarchy
01-21-2008, 08:45 AM
It doesn't bother me at all if I lose and I don't even think about it when the fights are on. I only gamble what I have and can lose.
I really meant I sucked on my predictions, but then again who would've though Rivera could come out so aggresive? Or, that Lee would seemingly hurt his back (at least it appeared that way).
Stout had better takedown defense than I thought. I knew Eklund had pretty bad takedowns, but I figured it would be enough to get him down. :\
Gonazaga got owned in the clinch... same place Randy owned him.
BJ looked spent in less than 2 rounds. Does that bode well for a fight against Sherk? Only if that fight is also less than two rounds.
Team Punishment belly flop continues...
LEONARD
01-21-2008, 09:43 AM
Hell of a card! :fro
Gonzaga has no heart...once he's hurt, he folds. Werdum now gets the winner of Tim-Nog (according to Dana). Chute Boxe!! Nog vs Werdum 1 was a good fight...can't wait for the rematch...
Gouveia in 2008! What a knockout...
We need Davis vs Fitch since Gono broke his hand. Davis needs to be shutup...
What terrible luck for Lee... (and for my sports betting career!)
See ya later Kendall Grove...talk about falling off the face of the planet. He looked like he'd never been in a fight in his life.
BJ looked spent in less than 2 rounds. Does that bode well for a fight against Sherk? Only if that fight is also less than two rounds.
I keep reading this and I don't get it at all. DURING the fight, he didn't look tired or gassed AT ALL. People are saying he was gassed because of the post fight, but I think he was just emotionally overcome with winning. He acted the same way after the first time he beat Hughes. I wouldn't put it past him to ham it up a little with Sherk there to make him think he was more spent than he was.
Regardless, Sherk won't make it 2 rds either...he's going to get picked apart, stuffed, picked apart some more, and TKO'd or sub'd...
LEONARD
01-21-2008, 10:16 AM
What a crazy mofo...
http://i31.tinypic.com/25hcqyv.gif
feel bad for Joe...
LEONARD
01-21-2008, 10:24 AM
lol...
and I hate elbows too. RARELY do they cause a KO. That cut was opened with barely any contact at all. Not that it would've mattered in this fight, but I think big cuts and blood will hold the sport back in the long run.
Notice the UFC 80 coverage on SportsCenter or ESPNews? Nope, because there wasn't any. You think they're going to show the end of that fight on ESPN? Hell no. Not that the masses could deal with stomps, soccer kicks, or knees on the ground any better though...
dallaskd
01-21-2008, 11:36 AM
Werdum now gets the winner of Tim-Nog (according to Dana). Chute Boxe!! Nog vs Werdum 1 was a good fight...can't wait for the rematch...
What kind of champ would Werdum be? I'd rather see Lesnar, Mir, Kongo, or Herring. (not saying Kongo would be a good champ) But I cant see Werdum beating Tim or Nog but how can you give him a title fight and not Arlovski who has already beat him?
cornbread
01-21-2008, 12:20 PM
BJ looked sharp. I hope he chokes Sherk out and drinks his blood!
Marcus Davis has won 11 in a row. He should be up for a title shot soon, right?
LEONARD
01-21-2008, 12:22 PM
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd105/manhattan_010/7698034_7_2.jpg
http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/1076/1495/217443.jpg (notice the squirt!!)
http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/1076/1495/217444.jpg
http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/1076/1495/217445.jpg
What kind of champ would Werdum be? I'd rather see Lesnar, Mir, Kongo, or Herring. (not saying Kongo would be a good champ) But I cant see Werdum beating Tim or Nog but how can you give him a title fight and not Arlovski who has already beat him?
Arlovski is fighting Jake O'Brien...to me, that says he's gone...
Kongo is the only one even close, but he's already fighting in March against Herring.
LEONARD
01-21-2008, 12:23 PM
Marcus Davis has won 11 in a row. He should be up for a title shot soon, right?
He hasn't fought anybody yet...
He needs to fight in the US again (with legit drug testing) and he needs to fight a legit opponent. Fitch or Karo IMO...
cornbread
01-21-2008, 12:30 PM
Well they need to give him a contender fight. He deserves it.
I think Davis is 2 fights away from a contender fight. Competition will seriously step up from here.
LEONARD
01-21-2008, 12:46 PM
Or Sakurai (who they're talking to again, along with Gomi and Kid)...he keeps calling out Gomi, but Gomi should fight at 155 lbs if he wants to be successful in the UFC.
What happened to Sakurai ? I just remember seeing this odd image of him next to the octagin eating food and then...poof. Gone.
LEONARD
01-21-2008, 01:26 PM
What happened to Sakurai ? I just remember seeing this odd image of him next to the octagin eating food and then...poof. Gone.
Talks between Hayato “Mach” Sakurai and the UFC fell apart, which was evident when the talented Japanese fighter signed on to fight under the Shoot Boxing banner on October 28. He was penciled in to fight Karo Parisyan at UFC 78 in November; however, Hector Lombard has now filled that spot because of the apparent inability to agree to contract terms with the UFC. It seemed like a done deal, especially after Sakurai appeared on camera at UFC 74: “Respect” in August.
dallaskd
01-21-2008, 01:57 PM
BJ looked sharp. I hope he chokes Sherk out and drinks his blood!
Marcus Davis has won 11 in a row. He should be up for a title shot soon, right?
I thought he lost to Melvin?
LEONARD
01-21-2008, 02:24 PM
TUF fights don't count...
dallaskd
01-21-2008, 02:28 PM
TUF fights don't count...
So huerta beating guida on the TUF 6 finale counts but Guillard beating Davis on the TUF 2 finale doesnt count? WTF ??? how?
dallaskd
01-21-2008, 02:29 PM
http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=fighter.detail&pid=402
LEONARD
01-21-2008, 02:30 PM
my bad...he's won 11 SINCE he lost to Guillard on the TUF 2 Finale card. I thought he had lost on the TUF show for some reason...
http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=fighter.detail&pid=402
They don't show non-UFC fights on the UFC site... ;)
Soul_Patch
01-22-2008, 06:21 PM
Damnit i knew i shouldnt have skipped this card.
Those pics of Joe look fuckin gruesome...wow..
LEONARD
01-22-2008, 06:35 PM
Damnit i knew i shouldnt have skipped this card.
Those pics of Joe look fuckin gruesome...wow..
Full event streaming
http://mmafightvideos.blogspot.com/2008/01/ufc-80-full-event-streaming-video.html
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.5 Copyright © 2026 vBulletin Solutions Inc. All rights reserved.