PDA

View Full Version : Webber back in 2 weeks

kingsfan
01-14-2008, 01:59 PM
http://www.news10.net/assetpool/images/08113214245_Chris-Webber2-185.jpg

Chris Webber

For the first time in 16 years, former Sacramento Kings star Chris Webber opened the NBA season last October without a team.

But in an exclusive interview Sunday, Webber told News10's Bryan May that he will sign with a new club and be back on the court in a matter of days.

"I'll be back in two weeks playing basketball," Webber said.

Webber said he hadn't made any firm decision on where he would resume his NBA career, but the 16-year veteran said he had fielded offers from several NBA clubs and had narrowed his choices down to three teams. Webber declined to name the teams he was considering.

After the Detroit Pistons failed to resign Webber during the offseason, the five-time NBA All-Star
rejected offers to play in Europe, instead choosing to spend time with his family.

"This is the first year in 15 years that I've gotten to spend New Years with my family, Christmas with my family," Webber said. "I'm the oldest of five. For some reason it was just very important for me this year to be with my family."

During the interview, Webber also talked about his career as a restaurateur as well as his post-basketball plans for the future. You can see Bryan's complete interview with Webber here (http://www.news10.net/video/player_news10.aspx?aid=50535&bw=).
http://www.news10.net/images/spacer_10x5.gif
http://www.news10.net/display_story.aspx?storyid=37308

:elephant I can't wait :hungry:

bdubya
01-14-2008, 02:25 PM
But in an exclusive interview Sunday, Webber told News10's Bryan May that he will sign with a new club and be back on the court in a matter of days.

But WHAT club? the Jam? Mad Ants? WHO? This could change the whole balance of power in the D-league.

PM5K
01-14-2008, 05:23 PM
That's weak to not name the teams...

Pistons < Spurs
01-14-2008, 05:33 PM
Miami? Lakers?

duncan228
01-14-2008, 05:44 PM
Where else but Boston?
Everyone wants to jump on that wagon. :lol

Kriz-Maxima
01-14-2008, 05:44 PM
Do't do it Webb, don't.

da_suns_fan
01-14-2008, 05:45 PM
Has to be Miami.

BacktoBasics
01-14-2008, 05:46 PM
I'd bet Boston.

Bruno
01-14-2008, 06:04 PM
Boston seems to be a good fit for him.

JamStone
01-14-2008, 06:09 PM
Lakers (especially with Bynum down), Houston, Boston ... those are my guesses. Doubt he would want to go to Miami at this point.

Armando
01-14-2008, 06:23 PM
Boston can use his scoring and passing and bring him off the bench.

Dex
01-14-2008, 06:51 PM
Do it, Celtics.

Sign The Jinx.

Medvedenko
01-14-2008, 07:41 PM
Do it Lakers....if that's even a possiblity. We need bigs....with Mihm and A-bomb out...we need bigs...we have no back up C on our roster at this time.

JamStone
01-14-2008, 08:16 PM
Do it Lakers....if that's even a possiblity. We need bigs....with Mihm and A-bomb out...we need bigs...we have no back up C on our roster at this time.

Only problem with that is C-Webb will expect to continue to play big minutes even after Bynum returns.

iminlakerland
01-14-2008, 09:20 PM
As a laker fan i say no! Keep webber away from the lakers. NO NO NO

Tippecanoe
01-14-2008, 09:23 PM
Rondo, Ray Allen, Pierce, Garnett, CWebb

make it happen ainge. make it happen. :worthy:

Tippecanoe
01-14-2008, 09:24 PM
actually on second thought. whatever. wouldnt make a difference.

Armando
01-14-2008, 09:31 PM
actually on second thought. whatever. wouldnt make a difference.

:lol

Vinnie_Johnson
01-14-2008, 09:42 PM
I hope it's Boston. Sheed will school him.

MONTENEGRINO
01-14-2008, 10:55 PM
I'd like to see CWebb in spurs jersey. He could help. Anyway, it wouldn't make Spurs worse, Horry is out, done.
But I guess he will join LAL...

Pistons < Spurs
01-15-2008, 10:26 AM
Lakers Looking At Adding Webber

Now that their franchise-center-in-training will be taking at least an eight-week break, the Lakers are perilously thin in the middle.

Kwame Brown has started 178 games in his seven-year career, and newly anointed backup Ronny Turiaf is more of a power forward.

In an update provided by a team source, Chris Mihm is at least two weeks from returning, if not longer, from a sore right Achilles tendon.

Thus, the Lakers are sifting through the free-agent bin and coming up with such names as Chris Webber, P.J. Brown and DJ Mbenga.

The Lakers were intrigued by Webber a year ago and have been in contact with his representatives. They think he fits the mold of a triangle-offense player -- good passer, good jump shot -- but are concerned about his physical condition.

Webber, who will be 35 in March, has not played since last season. He averaged 11.2 points, 7.2 rebounds and 29.9 minutes in 61 games with Philadelphia and Detroit, but did not re-sign with the Pistons after their playoff run.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/50312/20080115/lakers_looking_at_adding_webber/

Purple & Gold
01-15-2008, 11:44 AM
Webber would be a good fit for this team. That is if he's been keeping his basketball skills honed. After this maybe we can move Lamar for a true PF.

Pistons < Spurs
01-15-2008, 12:58 PM
Celtics' Executive Director of Basketball Operations Danny Ainge said that while his eyes are open, the franchise isn't having any heated trade discussions or looking at any free agents.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/50314/20080115/ainge_not_looking_to_change_roster/

AFBlue
01-15-2008, 01:11 PM
Agree with one of the posters that said Big Baby was an upgrade over C-Webb at this point. Not in the passing arena, but I'd say the Celts are set.

It looks like the Lakers are thinking about giving him a look and I wouldn't blame them. They lost alot of scoring production when Bynum went down that I think Webber could help with.

Also, I wouldn't mind him on the Spurs....better than Elson.

Pistons < Spurs
01-15-2008, 07:05 PM
Former Piston Chris Webber said in a Sacramento TV interview Sunday that he expected to be playing "in two weeks." He wouldn't name teams but said a handful had offered him a spot.

The Pistons have maintained that they are speaking with Webber and his agent but would only bring him back as the team's fourth big man. They also would need to clear a roster spot because they are at the league limit of 15.

Advertisement
That means they would need to find a taker for combo-guard Flip Murray, who hasn't played since Dec. 12. The team is actively shopping Murray and has until the Feb. 22 trade deadline to make a move.

Financially, the Pistons have the money under the luxury tax to bring Webber in after shedding Nazr Mohammed.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080115/SPORTS03/80115008/1048/SPORTS

peskypesky
01-15-2008, 08:16 PM
Hope Cuban signs him.

Actually, I've reconsidered. I think he could help the Spurs coming off the bench.

boutons_
01-15-2008, 09:45 PM
He's probably way out of shape, and still 30-40 pounds overweight.

Pistons < Spurs
01-16-2008, 10:07 PM
Webber's New Home? The Los Angeles Lakers were rocked by the knee injury to Andrew Bynum. While eight weeks sounds like a long time, the franchise is just happy the damage was not nearly as serious as it could have been.

The timeline for Bynum's recovery is padded to make sure Bynum is completely sound before returning. Don't be surprised if he's not itching to get back on the court in five weeks or so.

In Bynum's absence the Lakers appear close to signing free agent Chris Webber.

Word is that the Lakers have reached out and a source close to the situation says that Webber has responded positively. While he still is going through the motions of courtship, there's a good chance he ends up a Laker in the coming week.

Webber had a long list of teams that he was supposedly in negotiation with but the Detroit Pistons and Orlando Magic have both publicly made indications that he's not a consideration. Apparently Webber would rather play for a contender in LA than a team like the Miami HEAT who are no longer an attractive option considering their record.

With word breaking that Vladimir Radmanovic may be out a couple more weeks (ankle), the Lakers certainly need the help. Webber can play either power forward or center. LA only has 14 on the roster so waiving a player is not an issue.

While the Lakers are still awaiting Webber's decision - it looks like it's just a matter of time before he joins the squad.

The Lakers have also contacted PJ Brown - who fits the defensive mindset the team has forged this season - but he's still holding out to see what the Chicago Bulls do at the deadline. Brown could end up prospering from a sign-and-trade for a lot more should the Bulls actually trigger something big. Whether they do or don't is immaterial - it's in Brown's best interest to wait before accepting the league minimum the Lakers have to offer.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=6937

DazedAndConfused
01-16-2008, 10:30 PM
Word on the street in LA is that Webber will be a Laker very soon. It makes the most sense when you think about, LA is the only team that has a chance of contending that can actually use Webber. Detroit is stacked at the C and PF position, Orlando has expressed no interest, and Miami is just an awful team that is not going to contend. LA is the only plausible option.

MONTENEGRINO
01-16-2008, 10:58 PM
So most of people here think that Spurs couldn't use Webb for nothing?! I know that CWebb for sure isn't that player calibre he used to be 5-6 yrs. ago, but he still got good 10-15 mins...