PDA

View Full Version : Oh Zoe..

bdictjames
01-14-2008, 04:00 PM
http://www.nba.com/heat/news/HEAT_Insider_Interview_Alonzo.html

On December 19, Alonzo Mourning tore the patella tendon in his right knee and a quadriceps tear in the same leg while attempting a block in the first period of the Hawks game. The injury has sidelined Mourning, who announced in July that the 2007-08 season would be his last. HEAT Insider sat down with him to discuss his injury, the possibility of returning for another season and life after basketball.

HEAT Insider: How are you feeling?

Alonzo Mourning: “I’m doing OK. I’m taking things one day at a time. I got about three more weeks in the cast and then I can start rehab.”

HI: What was going through your mind when you were lying down on the court?

AM: “The first thing that came out my mouth was, ‘It’s over.’ I just kept saying that over and over again. I looked down at my knee and it was a little disfigured. I looked at it and said, ‘My career is over.’ ”

HI: Why did you refuse to get on the stretcher?

AM: “They tried to get me on the gurney. I got halfway on the stretcher and then I said if this is going to be my last game or my last time on a court, I’m not leaving the court on a stretcher; it’s going to be on my own two feet. I yelled to my teammates and Earl (Barron) and Dwyane (Wade) ran out and they helped me to the locker room.”

HI: After the game, Magic Johnson gave you some words of encouragement. What did he say?

AM: “Magic was standing in the locker room with his big trademark smile and he said, ‘Hold your head up, you’ve done a lot for this game.’ He said, ‘When my playing days were coming to an end, I didn’t realize how much I had to offer to this world until I got out there. It’ll be the same scenario for you. As one door closes another one opens. It’s an end of a great chapter in your life, and now it’s time to start a new one.’ I’m very confident that there are a lot of other things that I’m capable of doing. I just have to assert myself and find out exactly what I want to do. At this time, it’s just getting myself healthy again. That’s key. After I spoke to Dr. Harlan Selesnick, he said I’m going to have to rehab my knee like I was coming back to play again.”

HI: Have you completely ruled out coming back for another season?

[B]AM: “Yes. I’m retired. This is it for me.”

HI: What’s next for Alonzo Mourning?

AM: “I really don’t know right now. I want to continue to build my foundation. I’ve been presented with some broadcasting opportunities and some opportunities to work with the NBA. There’s a possibility that I can explore some coaching opportunities if at the particular time I’m in the right frame of mind.”

HI: Does retiring affect your foundation, Alonzo Mourning Charities, in any way?

AM: “No, it doesn’t. I think I’ve established myself in this community where I have developed a relationship with so many community leaders and business leaders to where I can still continue to accomplish my mission through my foundation; that is to continue to enhance the lives of young people and families. If I continue to get the help and support that I need and people are able to see the impact that we are making, that alone will continue to get us through. It excites me to think of the possibilities that we have in front of us to do the things that we need to do to improve our community. It’s also contagious.”

HI: When do you think it’s going to hit you that you are finally retired from the NBA?

AM: “Next season when I won’t be showing up for training camp and media day. That’s when it will really hit me that it’s over with.”

HI: How do you want to be remembered?

AM: “I think my actions on the court speak for themselves. I think everyone will form a conclusion based on my efforts and my commitment to the game and my commitment to the fans. They’re going to make a decision based on all of that. With that said, I think each person can form an honest conclusion about me as a person and as a player.”

HI: Do you aspire to be elected to the Hall of Fame?

AM: “I think every player wants to be part of the Hall of Fame someday. That’s the pinnacle of accomplishment for every player, no matter what sport. I really don’t need the Hall of Fame to define the impact or the influence that I have had on other individuals based on what I did on the court. I think that pretty much spoke for itself. There’s so much more to life and so many more important things. Hearing your name being called in the Hall of Fame, that’s great. But there are so many more issues that need to be addressed. My humanitarian efforts are more important than being elected into the Hall of Fame.”

HI: Is there a message you want to give HEAT fans?

AM: “I might not be on the court again, but I will be in the community. With the same effort I put out on the court, I’m going to put that same effort out in the community. I thank the HEAT fans for their support, their passion and their overall commitment to my whole career. None of my accomplishments in a HEAT uniform would have happened without the support, love and the passion that they have given me, and I appreciate that wholeheartedly. HEAT fans will always, always be a part of my heart for the rest of my life.”

1Parker1
01-14-2008, 04:42 PM
I can't stand Alonzo Mourning. I know I'm in the minority here. I know he overcame kidney failure, helps sick kids, etc...but there's something about him I dislike. I think it was the way he handled the whole New Jersey thing before being traded to Miami.

Ronaldo McDonald
01-14-2008, 04:49 PM
i tend to agree w/ you on that.

Ronaldo McDonald
01-14-2008, 04:50 PM
it's also why i can't stand boozer. no loyalty. i hate that shit.

ancestron
01-14-2008, 04:53 PM
word.

He did get a ring though. More than a lot of great retired players can say.

Armando
01-14-2008, 06:39 PM
Look I can understand where everyone is coming from on the loyalty angle. But is unfair to accuse players of disloyalty when the teams themsleves don't show loyalty to the players. Unless it is a Big ticket player (even then) you are pretty much expendable to them. How can you expect them to be loyal when a team would trade you in a heartbeat if a good deal comes along?

Armando
01-14-2008, 07:36 PM
The Nba is a business..period, it's part of the business that players gets traded for whatever reason. Players sign contracts and get paid millions of dollars then when the team doesn't do well they bitch and moan about wanting to be traded.

It can't be taken personal when a player gets traded..the team pays the players salary and can do whatever they want with them. If you work for a large corporation and they said I need you to re-locate; you either do it or quit without pay. You can't say well I'm not going or I want you to only move me to Los Angeles and if you don't buy me out then.

If players forfeit their salary then that is different but for Alzono to demand to be bought out so he can go to title contender is bullshit. Why did he still get paid $10 million dollars for abandoning Toronto?

Thats a good point but what choice did Toronto have? Keep Mourning around brooding on the bench and mess up team chemistry and hinder Bosh's development?

jman3000
01-14-2008, 07:37 PM
he's not doing the rehab so he can play again... he's doing the rehab because that's what you do when you get an injury like this...

i think his comment about going through rehab LIKE he was coming back is just that... LIKE he was coming back.

exstatic
01-14-2008, 08:00 PM
Look I can understand where everyone is coming from on the loyalty angle. But is unfair to accuse players of disloyalty when the teams themsleves don't show loyalty to the players. Unless it is a Big ticket player (even then) you are pretty much expendable to them. How can you expect them to be loyal when a team would trade you in a heartbeat if a good deal comes along?
If a team used the Alonzo Mourning business model, they'd never be able to sign another player. It's not that he leaves one team for another. Lots of players do that. That's not disloyalty. 'Zo fucks them over, uses them and makes endless unrealistic demands, backed by implied threats if he doesn't get his way.

Kriz-Maxima
01-14-2008, 08:15 PM
Thats a good point but what choice did Toronto have? Keep Mourning around brooding on the bench and mess up team chemistry and hinder Bosh's development?

This just add to the point of what a disloyal asshole Alonzo is.

boutons_
01-14-2008, 08:20 PM
"an injury like this..."

A leg immobilized due to ANY injury to anybody's leg that will atrophy amazingly rapidly and will take weeks if not months to recover strength and muscle mass.