PDA

View Full Version : Mallett to Arkansas...

TheTruth
01-14-2008, 05:31 PM
He could be great in Petrino's offense.

Special to SI.com, Rivals.com

Former five-star quarterback Ryan Mallett has left Michigan and is taking classes at the University of Arkansas today making his transfer official, according to sources close to the situation.

Mallett will redshirt during the 2008 season and then have three years of eligibility remaining. For Mallett, the decision to transfer to Arkansas means he has come almost full circle since high school.

Mallett grew up following the Razorbacks and attended football camps at Arkansas five years in-a-row. When Arkansas signed Mitch Mustain, also a former five-star quarterback in the class ahead of him, Mallett grew apart from Arkansas signing with the Wolverines over Nebraska, Texas, Alabama, Florida State and the Razorbacks. Mustain has since transferred to USC, and Arkansas will have a vacancy at quarterback when Mallett is eligible in 2009.

As a senior at Texas High School in Texarkana (Texas), Mallett passed for 3,353 yards and 31 touchdowns. Rivals rated him the No. 4 player in the Class of 2007, the No. 2 pro-style quarterback and No. 1 player in Texas.

Mallett played as a true freshman at Michigan this season when starter Chad Henne was injured. In 11 games, Mallett completed 61 of 141 passes for 892 yards and 7 touchdowns with 5 interceptions.

Rumors of Mallett transferring to Arkansas started almost as soon as he arrived on the Michigan campus. However, once former Michigan Coach Lloyd Carr retired and Rich Rodriguez was hired from West Virginia, it became obvious that the rumors of Mallett leaving Michigan would turn into facts. Rodriguez runs a spread offense based on a mobile quarterback, and Mallett is a pocket passer.

In addition to Arkansas, Mallett reportedly considered UCLA, Tennessee and Texas A&M before choosing Arkansas. Mallett arrived in Northwest Arkansas on Wednesday and spent much of Friday on an unofficial visit to Arkansas.

monosylab1k
01-14-2008, 05:37 PM
Arkansas will have a vacancy at quarterback when Mallett is eligible in 2009

:lol they have a vacancy at QB right now. Casey Dick is about as bad as they get.

JamStone
01-14-2008, 05:55 PM
Good luck to the kid. Too bad he wasn't secure enough in his ability to try to stick it out and see if he could adapt to RR's offense and vice versa.

Holmes_Fans
01-14-2008, 06:16 PM
Good luck to the kid. Too bad he wasn't secure enough in his ability to try to stick it out and see if he could adapt to RR's offense and vice versa.
If I was 6'7" 250, ran a 4.8, I wouldn't want to stick it out in RR's offense either.

samikeyp
01-14-2008, 11:07 PM
*paging Brutalis*

JamStone
01-14-2008, 11:22 PM
If I was 6'7" 250, ran a 4.8, I wouldn't want to stick it out in RR's offense either.

Pass first spread. Don't have to be mobile or quick or a good runner to play well in the system. Ask Tom Brady and Peyton Manning.

Brutalis
01-14-2008, 11:39 PM
:lol they have a vacancy at QB right now. Casey Dick is about as bad as they get.
Nooooooooooooooooooo kidding.

Jr high QB right thur

ReggieF
01-15-2008, 09:21 AM
Pass first spread. Don't have to be mobile or quick or a good runner to play well in the system. Ask Tom Brady and Peyton Manning.

I cannot wait until you finally see that RR's system is not the pass first variety of the spread it is the freaking Spread Option, do a little research please.

Doug Collins
01-15-2008, 11:23 AM
Does anyone actually "take classes" at the U of A outside of Intro to D-Mac 107?

JamStone
01-15-2008, 01:23 PM
I cannot wait until you finally see that RR's system is not the pass first variety of the spread it is the freaking Spread Option, do a little research please.

If his starting QB can run and is mobile, it won't be. If Mallet had stayed and showed the commitment to learning the spread, it would have been a pass first spread. Again, Shaun King was a pass first QB at Tulane. If Michigan gets a guy like Pryor, of course it's going to be a spread option offense. It's dictated by the skills of the players. You still can't comprehend that?

ReggieF
01-15-2008, 02:04 PM
If his starting QB can run and is mobile, it won't be. If Mallet had stayed and showed the commitment to learning the spread, it would have been a pass first spread. Again, Shaun King was a pass first QB at Tulane. If Michigan gets a guy like Pryor, of course it's going to be a spread option offense. It's dictated by the skills of the players. You still can't comprehend that?

I comprehend it just fine thanks, RR is going to run his ofense which means he's going to get a guy who can run in there, the King argument is not really valid since RR appears to have shaped his system to what it is currently. My argument is based on the now, yours is based on what he did when he was still on the job training.

JamStone
01-15-2008, 02:12 PM
No, my point is based on the fact that the spread has variations. Yours is based on what you think.

I brought up Shaun King because in that thread many weeks ago, you cited Shaun King as an example of a QB under RR's offensive system.

Would RR rather have a mobile QB who could run? Sure. Could his system not adapt to a QB who isn't mobile but had a very strong arm? Of course it could.

ReggieF
01-15-2008, 02:39 PM
My argument is based on his most recent coaching stop and what is most likely, yours is based on if and buts. As I have stated I agree with you that the spread has different variations, however that doesn't mean a coach will use them. Any coach can scrap his system in favor of something else, the facts are that very few of them do that. I am not real sure why you are so hell-bent on Michigan running some sort of Texas Tech like attack under RR, if Mallett had not been given some reason t believe they are going to run the ball he would likely have stayed since Michigan is a clearly superioir program to Arkansas (save the he's from Texarkana bit).

JamStone
01-15-2008, 02:50 PM
Recent Texas QBs: Major Applewhite, Chris Simms, Vince Young, Colt McCoy

Obviously, Mack Brown's offensive system can only be led by pocket passers who have strong arms. Too bad Vince Young went to a school whose offense couldn't adapt. He might have been drafted by the NFL if he played in a pure spread option offense in college.

ReggieF
01-15-2008, 03:37 PM
that is nowhere near the sme comparison, Mack adapted to adjust for the fact that VY is Uncle Rico in the pocket. What has RR done since being at WVU? He has modified and adjuste his offense to the point where it is today. If you want an example look at what happened in the games Pat WHite didn't finish, did RR adjust his offense to make the new QB more effective? No he stuck with the same stuff and got beat by freaking Pitt when he had a chance to play for the National title, if that doesn't show that he is stuck into his spread option attack then nothing will...until this next season rolls around and you see them out there running and pitching it instead of slinging it down field. For goodness sake, look at the defections of Mallett and thier two starting Wr's, everyone in the nation knows he's gonna run the ball out of a spread except you.

JamStone
01-15-2008, 03:44 PM
A couple games in the middle of the season when Pat White didn't finish games? Compared to knowing who the starter will be and what system that starter will best be used in. Your comparison is worse than mine. Coaches adapt to the strengths of their players, period. That has been my point from day one, weeks ago. You think Rich Rodriguez got this far in college coaching not to be able to adapt a little? You think he is so rigid in his system that he'll sacrifice winning for his stubbornness?

And, I didn't say Rodriguez WON'T run the spread option. I said he could coach the spread to the strengths of his players. If Mallet had stayed, it would have been a shotgun pass first spread and not a pitch option spread.

Apparently, you don't even know what I've been arguing this whole time. With a guy like Pryor if Michigan gets him or a more mobile QB, Rodriguez' offense will likely be a spread option. I haven't argued that it won't be. I've argued that if the starting QB is someone like Mallet who does not run well and isn't mobile, Rodriguez would have to run a pass first spread.

Are you reading these words and shitting them out before letting them hit your brain to process?

ReggieF
01-15-2008, 04:03 PM
A couple games in the middle of the season when Pat White didn't finish games? Compared to knowing who the starter will be and what system that starter will best be used in. Your comparison is worse than mine. Coaches adapt to the strengths of their players, period. That has been my point from day one, weeks ago. You think Rich Rodriguez got this far in college coaching not to be able to adapt a little? You think he is so rigid in his system that he'll sacrifice winning for his stubbornness?

And, I didn't say Rodriguez WON'T run the spread option. I said he could coach the spread to the strengths of his players. If Mallet had stayed, it would have been a shotgun pass first spread and not a pitch option spread.

Apparently, you don't even know what I've been arguing this whole time. With a guy like Pryor if Michigan gets him or a more mobile QB, Rodriguez' offense will likely be a spread option. I haven't argued that it won't be. I've argued that if the starting QB is someone like Mallet who does not run well and isn't mobile, Rodriguez would have to run a pass first spread.

Are you reading these words and shitting them out before letting them hit your brain to process?

you are way too high strung. why are you such a RR apologist.Of course he could change his system however unlikely that may be, he could also run Texas Tech's sytem but its not what he's comfortable doing and is not likely to be his offense of choice. He WILL run the spread option attack, that has been my point and has been from the beginning, you arguing that he could do this or that is what is confusing. RR "could" do anything he wants, he can run a fake punt on every play if he wants to but he will go with what he has spent the past few years perfecting, that thing he runs works really well and to scrap it would be foolish.

JamStone
01-15-2008, 04:07 PM
No, your point many weeks ago was that a non-mobile QB could not run the spread.

That's what your point was. And, it was wrong.

ReggieF
01-15-2008, 05:03 PM
No, your point many weeks ago was that a non-mobile QB could not run the spread.

That's what your point was. And, it was wrong.

you left off the option part of that sentence, a non-mobile QB cannot run the spread option and that is still true the same as it was back then. Pick a side of the argument, if you are arguing with me that a non-mobile QB can't run the spread option then you are wrong, if you are arguing that the spread has many varieties then I would not disagree, if you are arguning that RR will adapt his offense to the players around him I would argue that is is possible but unlikely based on his previous 6 years at WVa and in particular his most recent success with the spread option attack and based off this little bit of information:

Spread option
Rodriguez has been considered the pioneer/creator of the no huddle spread option offense (although a pass-first version was already being implemented),[11][12][13] while at Glenville State, which he refined through his stops at Tulane with Shaun King, Clemson with Woodrow Dantzler, and West Virginia. This strategy features frequent use of the shotgun formation.

In 1997 with Tulane he called 366 passes vs. 424 runs (54% Run). In 1998 he called 375 passes vs. 518 runs (58% Run) with Tulane. In 1999 with Clemson he called 422 passes vs. 486 runs (54% Run).

With West Virginia his playcalling continued to center around the run.
2001: 355 passes vs. 474 runs (57% Run)
2002: 279 passes vs. 714 runs (72% Run)
2003: 252 passes vs. 600 runs (70% Run)
2004: 259 passes vs. 589 runs (69% Run)
2005: 193 passes vs. 625 runs (76% Run)
2006: 233 passes vs. 590 runs (72% Run)

Holmes_Fans
01-17-2008, 07:04 PM
Yep, it's a pass first spread that generated a whopping 14 passing touchdowns and a 1335 yard rushing QUARTERBACK

sa_butta
05-03-2008, 07:10 AM
:lol

FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. -- The NCAA ruled Friday that transfer quarterback Ryan Mallett (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=232007) must sit out a year before playing for Arkansas.

The Razorbacks had asked the NCAA to waive the requirement that Mallett sit out a year. Mallett transferred from Michigan after coach Lloyd Carr retired and was replaced by Rich Rodriguez.
Mallett can practice with the team, but not play during the 2008 season. He practiced with Arkansas this spring, but missed many practices with a thumb injury.

"For now, I will focus on finishing up the semester academically, rehabilitating my (thumb) injury and getting prepared for preseason camp," Mallett said. "I look forward to taking the field for the Razorbacks when I have that opportunity."

The 6-foot-7 quarterback played in 11 games for the Wolverines last year. He has three years of eligibility remaining.
Mallett was 61-of-141 for 892 yards with seven touchdown passes and five interceptions last season at Michigan as Chad Henne (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=160898)'s backup.
The NCAA decision eliminated one competitor for returning starter Casey Dick (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=170906), who went 33-of-49 for 404 yards in last week's spring game.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3378777

monosylab1k
05-03-2008, 08:29 AM
Recent Texas QBs: Major Applewhite, Chris Simms, Vince Young, Colt McCoy

Obviously, Mack Brown's offensive system can only be led by pocket passers who have strong arms.

LOL what? Do you have any clue what the fuck you're talking about?

Vince Young has the second strongest arm of that bunch by a longshot. If anything, Chris Simms is the guy most unlike the others in that group.

Brutalis
05-04-2008, 12:14 AM
Petrino making Dick look good.