PDA

View Full Version : Funny Quotes by Tim and Manu...today's game...

greens
01-15-2008, 03:10 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/recap;_ylt=AsyOhp0sg7VflE.g3j78jJeM0bYF?gid=200801 1424&prov=ap

By ELIZABETH WHITE, Associated Press Writer
January 15, 2008

SAN ANTONIO (AP) -- During a tight fourth quarter against the Philadelphia 76ers, Tim Duncan twice told San Antonio Spurs teammate Manu Ginobili to pass the ball.

One couldn't blame Duncan for his advice as Ginobili had gone 0-of-6 from the field through the first three quarters of the game.

Ginobili didn't listen to the Spurs' star center.

The Spurs' super sub hit four 3-pointers in the period, his only field goals of the entire game, to lead the Spurs to an 89-82 victory over the 76ers Monday night.

"I think I was talking in the middle of his shots ... two of his shots, telling him to swing the ball," Duncan said. "And he's firing away anyway, and they go down for him. So he felt it. And he gets one to go down, he gets two to go down. All of a sudden he's on a hot streak and you want him taking those shots."

Ginobili scored 14 of his 20 points in the fourth quarter, highlighted by the two pairs of consecutive 3s.

"I heard him," Ginobili said of Duncan's counsel. "But I told him that I was feeling good and I was going to take them."

"He never listens to me," Duncan joked.

Duncan added 18 points and 16 rebounds and Michael Finley and Tony Parker scored 14 points apiece to give the Spurs their second straight win.

Willie Green led Philadelphia with 21 points and Andre Iguodala scored 19. Samuel Dalembert added 12 points and 20 rebounds for the skidding 76ers, who have lost seven straight.

"We played good basketball up until the last couple of minutes," said Philadelphia guard Andre Miller, who sat out the entire second quarter after getting poked in the eye in the first. "They hit a couple of big shots. That was the game right there."

Heading into the final 12 minutes the 76ers were up 65-64 after San Antonio's miserable third quarter allowed them to take the lead.

Philadelphia went up by as many as five early in the fourth, but the Spurs crept up to tie the game three times before Ginobili helped them pull away. His back-to-back 3s gave the Spurs an 81-77 lead with 3:41 to play.

"We took our chance with them making 3s, and they made 3s toward the stretch of the game," said 76ers coach Maurice Cheeks. "For the most part we played a heck of a game."

Ginobili hit another pair of consecutive 3s to give San Antonio an 89-80 lead with 1:46 on the clock and effectively put the game away.

"We usually go out on the floor and play hard night-in and night-out. It's a shame that they haven't been rewarded for their efforts," Cheeks said. "At some point it's going to turn for us."

The Spurs took the lead until midway through the third quarter with 1:33 to go in the first when Francisco Elson broke a 24-all tie by tipping in Ginobili's 3-point miss with his back to the basket.

And while the Spurs again struggled early, as they have in recent games, they managed to take a 27-24 lead into the second quarter.

An 11-1 run that began with Duncan's surprisingly easy dunk over Dalembert gave San Antonio a 47-35 advantage with 4:38 to go in the second quarter. The Spurs were up 52-46 at halftime.

But the Spurs fell apart during the third. They hit just 3-of-22 (14 percent) from the field and scored 12 points, a season-low for scoring in the third quarter. They missed 16 straight shots in the last 8:33 of the quarter.

"You have to hope that people will keep shooting their shots and we keep getting open shots," said Spurs coach Gregg Popovich. "Sometimes they don't go in but you can't let that make your defense go sour."

Philadelphia wasn't exactly on a scoring rampage, either, hitting just 4-of-16 from the field (25 percent). But the 76ers did enough to take a 59-58 lead with 7:32 to go off a free throw from Iguodala, who scored eight points in the quarter.

The 76ers took the lead again, 61-60, with 6:23 to go off Iguodala's jumper.

Notes

Popovich said injured G Brent Barry (torn muscle in left calf) is probable for Thursday's home game vs. Cleveland. ... The Spurs celebrated the franchise's 35th anniversary with a halftime tribute Monday.

Please_dont_ban_me
01-15-2008, 03:45 AM
I won't mention any names...

But SOMEONE at Lifetime does the same shit. It's so f'ing annoying shooting a jumper and having someone call for the ball in the middle of your shot.

Slippy
01-15-2008, 03:53 AM
Manu, along with Tim are my favourite Spurs. He truly is a special player. When he's feeling it you gotta take advantage but there are moments when i think the same as Tim. Pass it around and let the offense give it to ya.. Most times Manu proves me wrong as well and leaves me in awe.

milkyway21
01-15-2008, 03:56 AM
"He never listens to me," Duncan joked.

:lmao

there was article about Manu after game 1 of the 2005 playoffs about what Detroit shld do about Manu when Manu(& Pops), don't even know what he would do next...

:D

greens
01-15-2008, 03:56 AM
More quotes:

http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/quotes_080114

Spurs Head Coach Gregg Popovich

On the game - “We really need to thank Manu for tonight’s win. Obviously he was the one who stepped up and made big shots down the stretch. We really struggled most of the game and finally got the ball moving the last portion of the forth quarter. The combination of ball movement and Manu Ginobili really stepping up got us a win tonight.”

On Spurs missed opportunity - “You have to hope your players keep shooting their shots and that you keep getting open shots. The ball doesn’t always go in but you can’t let missed shots let your defense go sour. Over all we did a good job defensively it was just offense that needed to get clicking. We moved the ball a little more tonight and got Timmy (Tim Duncan) involved and Manu really pulled through for us.”

On Manu Ginobili - “Manu has fearlessness and competitiveness. He doesn’t stop and he’ll keep playing no matter the situation.”

Tim Duncan

On Manu’s four three’s in the fourth quarter - “We definitely needed that. He pulled us out of another hole there, it’s his time in the fourth quarter when things get tight. His ability to not only create shots but take and make big shots saves us out there.”

On missing 16 straight in the third quarter - “We were settling for a lot of jump shots and things just weren’t going down for us. I’ll give them credit, they did a good job of keeping us away from the basket. We have to do a little better job of attacking the basket and making things happen in that respect and we cant miss that many shots in a row. We have a lot of stuff to work on obviously but it was nice to get out of tonight with a win and we’ll move on to the next one.”

On the Sixers switching up their defense - “I don’t know if they were switching up the defense at all, I think it just got stagnant a little bit. The ball stopped moving, we missed a bunch of shots in a row, it’s not that we were taking bad shots, it’s just that things didn’t go down for us. Luckily our defense stuck a little bit and we got a good defensive and rebounding effort.”

On Manu ever surprising him with his play - “Never, never. He’s unbelievable, he really is. He’s fun to watch. I was talking to Manu while he was taking his shots and telling him to swing the ball. He fired away anyway and the shots started to fall.”

Manu Ginobili

On the game - “I was feeling pretty good with my shot. They were not falling in but I was feeling confident. I guess I just needed one and the one I hit from the corner really pumped me up. After that everything changed and I my shots started to go in.”

On knowing if he was 0-6 going into the fourth quarter - “I knew that I hadn’t made one shot but I didn’t know how many I took. I think they were all threes, I didn’t have many opportunities to drive into the lane, they were collapsing the paint a lot so I was just trying to find an open teammate.”

On his mindset - “Today the Sixers did a good job of making us take difficult shots. Tony and I couldn’t make lay ups, the shots were not falling and that’s why they kept in the game for so long. We just needed a couple of threes to change that.”

On the importance of their defense in the third quarter - “It was very important. We know that when our defense is there and we keep opponents under 40% then we have a big shot at winning the game.”

timvp
01-15-2008, 04:44 AM
“We really need to thank Manu for tonight’s win. Obviously he was the one who stepped up and made big shots down the stretch. We really struggled most of the game and finally got the ball moving the last portion of the forth quarter. The combination of ball movement and Manu Ginobili really stepping up got us a win tonight.”There's Pop again, blaming Manu per usual.

"I think I was talking in the middle of his shots ... two of his shots, telling him to swing the ball," Duncan said. "And he's firing away anywayDuncan trying to hold Manu down.

/church

Southwest Texas Fan
01-15-2008, 09:12 AM
:stirpot:

WalterBenitez
01-15-2008, 09:18 AM
Manu smelling ability is superior than his hearing capacity

:nerd

Deimosfobos
01-15-2008, 01:11 PM
There's Pop again, blaming Manu per usual.

Duncan trying to hold Manu down.

/church

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

duncan228
01-15-2008, 01:13 PM
I love how loose this team is with each other. It shows the trust they have in each other and the humor it takes to grind through an NBA season.
They really are "over themselves" as Pop says.

waly.mg
01-15-2008, 03:29 PM
http://www.americanrhetoric.com/images/sentofawoman1.JPG

Manu Ginobili doesn't want it. He doesn't need to labeled: "Still worthy of being a 'Baird Man.'" What the hell is that? What is your motto here? "Boys, inform on your classmates, save your hide" -- anything short of that we're gonna burn you at the stake? Well, gentlemen, when the shit hits the fan some guys run and some guys stay. Here's Manu facing the fire...

v2freak
01-15-2008, 04:14 PM
You know on any other team, this would cause drama. When the star player and captain tells a teammate to pass it and he doesn't, the star player would probably explode, hold a grudge or curse out that player to the media. Thankfully it was Duncan and Ginobili, not Kobe/Shaq etc

WalterBenitez
01-15-2008, 05:00 PM
You know on any other team, this would cause drama. When the star player and captain tells a teammate to pass it and he doesn't, the star player would probably explode, hold a grudge or curse out that player to the media. Thankfully it was Duncan and Ginobili, not Kobe/Shaq etc

Would also demand a trade, you know ... star belongs to the universe!

That's why TD gives a shit about this!

TD is even greater for doing this.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
01-15-2008, 05:03 PM
Definitely, it's to take it for granted sometimes, that they have healthy egos.

Also Tim called out while in the middle of Ginobili shooting it, the first two times :lol
that must have been annoying.

greens
01-15-2008, 10:14 PM
I love how loose this team is with each other. It shows the trust they have in each other and the humor it takes to grind through an NBA season.
They really are "over themselves" as Pop says.

Here is the link to the video interviews:
http://www.nba.com/spurs/gameday/080114.html

I really do love their humor. In the above clips, Timmy and Manu are laughing when they are talking about it. One of the reporters asks Tim, "and he didn't listen to you?" After Tim says, "he never listens to me..." you can hear the reporters laughing...then the Manu part is also funny, with him saying "yeah, I heard him..." when asked that about Tim's advice about swinging the ball...LOL.

I also think you can see the closeness when Tim defended Manu, by "exchanging a few words" with Igudala after Igudala yelled at Manu...

duncan228
01-15-2008, 10:18 PM
Here is the link to the video interviews:
http://www.nba.com/spurs/gameday/080114.html

I really do love their humor. In the above clips, Timmy and Manu are laughing when they are talking about it. One of the reporters asks Tim, "and he didn't listen to you?" After Tim says, "he never listens to me..." you can hear the reporters laughing...then the Manu part is also funny, with him saying "yeah, I heard him..." when asked that about Tim's advice about swinging the ball...LOL.

I also think you can see the closeness when Tim defended Manu, by "exchanging a few words" with Igudala after Igudala yelled at Manu...

Thanks for the link, I always watch them.

They are a lot of fun to watch and listen to, it's different than reading it.
Most regular season win interviews have moments like this one. They get more serious in the Playoffs, but there's still some humor. They just seem to have a good perspective on it. It's basketball, they enjoy the game and each other. It's nice to see.

greens
01-15-2008, 10:30 PM
Thanks for the link, I always watch them.

They are a lot of fun to watch and listen to, it's different than reading it.
Most regular season win interviews have moments like this one. They get more serious in the Playoffs, but there's still some humor. They just seem to have a good perspective on it. It's basketball, they enjoy the game and each other. It's nice to see.

Very true. Quotes are one thing, but when you actually see the thing, I think it's even funnier...

I think Bruce usually also has funny stuff to say in his interviews. I really enjoy watching his more relaxed interviews... I think last year during the playoffs, Manu mentioned his nose in one of the interviews, when talking about how TP collided with Nash, saying that it's one thing to bump your head into someone's nose, unless that nose is Manu's...lol.

carina_gino20
01-15-2008, 10:44 PM
Very true. Quotes are one thing, but when you actually see the thing, I think it's even funnier...

I think Bruce usually also has funny stuff to say in his interviews. I really enjoy watching his more relaxed interviews... I think last year during the playoffs, Manu mentioned his nose in one of the interviews, when talking about how TP collided with Nash, saying that it's one thing to bump your head into someone's nose, unless that nose is Manu's...lol.

:lol I remember that. He said that when it's nose against head, the head's always going to win, unless it's Manu's nose.

Here's the link: http://www.woai.com/mediacenter/[email protected]&navCatId=15

SenorSpur
01-15-2008, 10:58 PM
Somehow you get the feeling if this same exchange took place on any other team (particularly PHX), it wouldn't come off so nochalant.

I wish Tim would've revealed what conversation he was having with Andre Iguodala after Manu's hard foul.

greens
01-15-2008, 10:59 PM
Thanks for posting the link! Really funny!

greens
01-15-2008, 11:03 PM
Somehow you get the feeling if this same exchange took place on any other team (particularly PHX), it wouldn't come off so nochalant.

I wish Tim would've revealed what conversation he was having with Andre Iguodala after Manu's hard foul.

I'm surprised the reporters didn't ask about it...they usually ask about stuff like this...it was sort of a confrontation, I think 3 refs came by to interrupt...I also thought someone was going to get a T...from what it looked like on tv.

According to Sean Elliot, Tim said something like "don't talk to Manu like that...etc", that was what Sean sort of said during the broadcast, he might have been able to hear Tim pretty good since he was seating pretty close...