PDA

View Full Version : Webber

rascal
01-15-2008, 06:00 AM
Webber said he is coming back in two weeks and there are 3 teams he would consider playing for. Any interest by the spurs?

I know he is no longer the player he once was but he could be a good backup.

TDMVPDPOY
01-15-2008, 06:24 AM
backup for what?

we already wasted extendin bonners contract...

i prefer to sign DJ

Obstructed_View
01-15-2008, 07:33 AM
I'd take him. But then again, it's not my money.

exstatic
01-15-2008, 08:13 AM
Webber's done.

VaSpursFan
01-15-2008, 09:08 AM
his mobility is limited...i'll pass.

WalterBenitez
01-15-2008, 09:14 AM
another young boy?

Charles Barkleys could be a great adition, not to mention Rodman.

tav1
01-15-2008, 10:57 AM
I wouldn't be upset if the Spurs signed Webber. He's marginal at this point in his career, and a defensive liability. In his last two stints, Philly and Detroit respectively, he still outrebounded the likes of Cisco Elson. He's a smart player who understands how to position himself. But that is not why I think he'd be worth a Vet's minimum. He's a great post passer and can knock down spot up jumpers. With the way the Spurs' offense stagnates at times, he might help put a few more points on the board.

In order to sign him we'd have to trade Elson to create some cap space. But Bonner is servicable enough and Horry will probably play better in a couple months, so Elson is not a terrible loss. Webber should not be regarded as a top option. I'd hope the Spurs pursue other players before settling on him, if they even change the roster at all.

hater
01-15-2008, 10:58 AM
Webber is through. no thanks

AFBlue
01-15-2008, 11:12 AM
Most anything is better than Elson, and if the Spurs could find a taker for his contract to create enough cap space to sign Webber, I'd do that deal.

Still, I think the odds are overwhelmingly with Elson sticking on this team for the rest of this season....

SenorSpur
01-15-2008, 11:19 AM
Dude has been playing on one leg for virtually the past 2 seasons. He's done.

Elson may be inconsistent, but he's still the most athletic big on the team. Everytime I'm ready to give up on him, he makes an unexpected contribution in a win. I don't know why everyone wants him jettisoned. I'd rather take my chances with him than Webber any day.

Spurs Dynasty 21
01-15-2008, 11:20 AM
Webber as a Spurs makes too much damn sense, so Pop and RC will make sure not only that it won't happen, but he will go to another title contender like the Pistons

Obstructed_View
01-15-2008, 11:56 AM
The only thing stupider than not giving Webber a look is thinking he's a replacement for Elson.

SenorSpur
01-15-2008, 11:56 AM
He was with the Pistons last year and he didn't do anything for them. They have enough bigs and don't need him.

Webber demands playing time and Pop isn't going to guarantee that to him. He is slow because of his bad knee and age sorry last time I checked we don't need another slow, old veteran on this team. We have enough of them!

Exactly. The prospect of signing Webber makes absolutely no sense at all. Perhaps everyone has forgotten the image of him laboring up and down the court, dragging his injured leg with him.

Guys, wake up! This dude is finished. IF some other team wants to take a flyer on him, fine. It doesn't mean the Spurs need to be suckered in.

Spurs Dynasty 21
01-15-2008, 12:00 PM
For people who say Webber is done, you really think he's worse then what the Spurs have

let's look at the Spurs big men BESIDES DUNCAN

Bonner? (was picked over Scola)
Horry? (sad to say, but he is complete crap)
Elson? (ok on a good day, very qeustion D)
Oberto? (sometimes servicable , most of the time a waste of space)

Webber playing along Duncan would be a better combo then any mentioned above

Obstructed_View
01-15-2008, 12:07 PM

No he wouldn't, but he'd be a hell of a lot more useful in the playoffs than Jeremy Richardson. Is he still on the team?

SenorSpur
01-15-2008, 12:28 PM
For people who say Webber is done, you really think he's worse then what the Spurs have

So let me get this straight. You'd rather have a 34-35 year-old, one-legged player who, at this stage of his career, has no lift, can't rebound, can't run and one who could never defend. Versus the quartet of Elson, Bonner, Horry and Oberto. While they all have been inconsistent and none are ferocious rebounders, they are at least decent around the glass, can spread the floor (Horry, Bonner), can run (Elson, Oberto), and are willing to defend (Horry, Elson, Oberto).

Pistons_In_7
01-15-2008, 12:31 PM
I think Webber would be a serviceable player on the Spurs, I don't think he would come in demanding a ton of minutes, at this stage of his career i don't think he can. I think hes making a last ditch effort to get on a title contending team, and he showed that he does have something left in the tank last year with the Pistons however late in the season he got a flu bug like virus that lingered and he never seemed quite the same. IN the playoffs he got less and less minutes and was basicly ineffective.

If he plays with the Spurs like he did when he first signed with Detroit last year then he could be just the piece the Spurs need.

Last year he averaged 10 pts a game and 6.3 rebounds in 25.3 minutes per game. Not too shabby.

MoSpur
01-15-2008, 12:36 PM
I thought Webber did a good job for the Pistons last season.

txstr1986
01-15-2008, 12:37 PM
I agree with SenorSpur, Webber is not what this team needs because he doesn't have anything left in the tank, Oberto, Elson, Bonner, and Horry all fit in the Spurs system and do what is asked of them. Sure Webber might be more naturally more talented than those four, but he is physically incapable of playing up to that talent.

Besides, hasn't Horry proven over and over again that he's got it in the playoffs?
Bonner gives consistant hard play no matter his playing time.
Oberto is a very smart player and knows the system.
Elson is quick and athletic and also always plays hard.

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-15-2008, 12:38 PM
If he would be willing to play the same type of role Big Dog played a few years back I think I'd give him a look. I just don't know who you'd let go of. The Spurs have a stable of bigs, even if they are all limited in their own ways.

Webber is a great passer and I could see him and Duncan playing well together. Webber can pull out defenders with his jumpshot and he knows how to find the open man.

Downside is that he's a defensive liability at this point in his career and I don't think Pop would give him much love because of that.

I'd put the odds at 100-1 against Webber being a Spur.

SenorSpur
01-15-2008, 12:40 PM
If he would be willing to play the same type of role Big Dog played a few years back I think I'd give him a look. I just don't know who you'd let go of. The Spurs have a stable of bigs, even if they are all limited in their own ways.

Webber is a great passer and I could see him and Duncan playing well together. Webber can pull out defenders with his jumpshot and he knows how to find the open man.

Downside is that he's a defensive liability at this point in his career and I don't think Pop would give him much love because of that.

I'd put the odds at 100-1 against Webber being a Spur.

Uh, Weber was always a defensive liability. :lol

rascal
01-15-2008, 12:43 PM
I haven't checked but has Webber been released? If so

I know Pop liked him a few years ago. Why not just bring him in for a tryout to see if he is healthy enough that he could play as a part time player.

MoSpur
01-15-2008, 12:44 PM
In the playoffs last season he averaged 10 points and 6 rebounds. For the season last year he averaged 11 points and seven rebounds while starting 42 games.

rascal
01-15-2008, 12:49 PM
At this point in Webbers career he may just want a good shot at a championship and the spurs may be a team he would really consider. The spurs have enough minutes at c with no dominate player there to fit Webber in.

remingtonbo2001
01-15-2008, 12:50 PM

I'll take a one legged Oberto before I'd even considered Webber.
Oberto a waste of space? PLEASE?
Get your head outta the boxscore and start watching the games more closely.
Oberto has the highest basketball IQ among the vast number of role players in the league. Oberto is never out of position (especially on the defensive end). Dude hustles with the best of them. He can knock down a 12 foot jump shot. He doesn't hesitate being physical. He has good hands and can pass. WHAT FUCKIN MORE DO YOU WANT. You are not going to stick another prolific post scorer next to DUNCAN. It won't work in our offense. Why do you think D-Rob relegated his scoring duties to Duncan. Okay, what about a prolific post scorer coming off the bench? Why wouldn't the same player be in the starting lineup for another team? Some of you act like these players grow off fuckin trees. Don't forget we also have Splitter and Ian coming in next season. I think our roster is more than capable of playing the basketball our fans desire, just be patient and give the team some time.

Pistons_In_7
01-15-2008, 12:50 PM
Ill tell you one thing, when Webber first signed on last year, he was dropping dimes like crazy that the other players weren't ready for, it was frustratingly awesome to see indeed.

AFBlue
01-15-2008, 01:01 PM
All those talking up Elson's athleticism and intensity need to check themselves really quick.....

ELSON SUCKS!

The guy has nice athleticism, which is undisputed. What he does with that athleticism is the real question. I've seen him finish a fastbreak ONCE this entire season. I can almost count the number of blocks he's had this season on one hand (EDIT: a whopping 12 all season).

And the main reason he doesn't take advantage of his athleticism on offense or defense is that he's constantly out of position. Despite being on this team for over a season and a half, he has yet to grasp the fundamentals of the Spurs' system. He would do well in a system where they said "Run Forrest Run", but in this one he actually has to think...which is a problem.

I actually think Webber would bring more to the table, but even if you disagree with that assessment, at least try not to spew hyperbole about Elson's abilities....because he's terrible.

duncan228
01-15-2008, 01:10 PM
I haven't checked but has Webber been released?

This is the article kingsfan posted yesterday in NBA Central.

For the first time in 16 years, former Sacramento Kings star Chris Webber opened the NBA season last October without a team.

But in an exclusive interview Sunday, Webber told News10's Bryan May that he will sign with a new club and be back on the court in a matter of days.

"I'll be back in two weeks playing basketball," Webber said.

Webber said he hadn't made any firm decision on where he would resume his NBA career, but the 16-year veteran said he had fielded offers from several NBA clubs and had narrowed his choices down to three teams. Webber declined to name the teams he was considering.

After the Detroit Pistons failed to resign Webber during the offseason, the five-time NBA All-Star
rejected offers to play in Europe, instead choosing to spend time with his family.

"This is the first year in 15 years that I've gotten to spend New Years with my family, Christmas with my family," Webber said. "I'm the oldest of five. For some reason it was just very important for me this year to be with my family."

During the interview, Webber also talked about his career as a restaurateur as well as his post-basketball plans for the future. You can see Bryan's complete interview with Webber here.

http://www.news10.net/display_story.aspx?storyid=37308

FromWayDowntown
01-15-2008, 01:16 PM
I could see Webber as being serviceable for the Spurs, if only because he is another big man who can score the ball, which isn't exactly something that the Spurs have in bunches. For the vet minimum, the Spurs could do a whole lot worse. He obviously wouldn't be a long term solution to any problems, but he is a guy who could contribute some offense to a team that, for now at least, has a need in that area.

AFBlue
01-15-2008, 01:21 PM
I could see Webber as being serviceable for the Spurs, if only because he is another big man who can score the ball, which isn't exactly something that the Spurs have in bunches. For the vet minimum, the Spurs could do a whole lot worse. He obviously wouldn't be a long term solution to any problems, but he is a guy who could contribute some offense to a team that, for now at least, has a need in that area.

Don't forget his vision and passing ability. To me, his ability to keep the offense flowing without being the center of it would be an added plus.

There are positives to this guy....

SenorSpur
01-15-2008, 01:29 PM
All those talking up Elson's athleticism and intensity need to check themselves really quick.....

ELSON SUCKS!

The guy has nice athleticism, which is undisputed. What he does with that athleticism is the real question. I've seen him finish a fastbreak ONCE this entire season. I can almost count the number of blocks he's had this season on one hand (EDIT: a whopping 12 all season).

And the main reason he doesn't take advantage of his athleticism on offense or defense is that he's constantly out of position. Despite being on this team for over a season and a half, he has yet to grasp the fundamentals of the Spurs' system. He would do well in a system where they said "Run Forrest Run", but in this one he actually has to think...which is a problem.

I actually think Webber would bring more to the table, but even if you disagree with that assessment, at least try not to spew hyperbole about Elson's abilities....because he's terrible.

I don't recall anyone "talking up" Elson. It's widely known the guy has been inconsistent and at 30 years old, will likely be nothing more than what he is now. THe point is Elson's deficiencies and his attributes (occasional shot blocking, mediocre rebounding, good shooting, and his ability to run the floor) benefit the Spurs more than taking a flyer on a guy whose past his prime and playing on one leg and trying to "latch on" to a championship team.

AFBlue
01-15-2008, 01:35 PM
I don't recall anyone "talking up" Elson. It's widely known the guy has been inconsistent and at 30 years old, will likely be nothing more than what he is now. THe point is Elson's deficiencies and his attributes (occasional shot blocking, mediocre rebounding, good shooting, and his ability to run the floor) benefit the Spurs more than taking a flyer on a guy whose past his prime and playing on one leg and trying to "latch on" to a championship team.

I didn't say people were talking up Elson, but rather Elson's abilities. It's as if there's a difference between Elson's lack of defense and Webber's lack of defense because one can run faster than the other. I just find fallacy in that argument.

The fact that Elson is more athletic than Webber is inconsequential because it doesn't amount to increased production on Elson's part....that is my point.

And we can just agree to disagree whether Webber (and his one leg) bring more to the table than Elson. Frankly, I think Mahinmi brings more to the table than Elson right now...but that's just me.

SenorSpur
01-15-2008, 01:44 PM
I didn't say people were talking up Elson, but rather Elson's abilities. It's as if there's a difference between Elson's lack of defense and Webber's lack of defense because one can run faster than the other. I just find fallacy in that argument.

The fact that Elson is more athletic than Webber is inconsequential because it doesn't amount to increased production on Elson's part....that is my point.

And we can just agree to disagree whether Webber (and his one leg) bring more to the table than Elson. Frankly, I think Mahinmi brings more to the table than Elson right now...but that's just me.

I'll give you the fact the Webber is a brilliant passer, but at this point in his career, I would have to question his health, physical abilities, and his motivation. As someone already stated, if the Spurs did bring him aboard, how much would you expect to get out of him - especially because he doesn't know the system.

Personally, I've had enough of the "let's bring in the next old guy who's sitting at home, yet hasn't announced his retirement yet" type of player. Call it the curse of NVE or whatever. I'm out on that.

As for Ian, it's a given that he'd bring more to the table than practically anyone including Webber and Elson - but that's beside the point. I'd prefer he was prepared and ready to come aboard too. But that's also besides the point.

The fact remains that the Spurs will likely roll with the guys on the team. Another reason this whole Webber thing is a moot point.

T Park
01-15-2008, 01:49 PM
Spursdynasty has his head so far up his ass he can sniff his spinal fluid.

As for webber?

No thanks, hes a liability defensively, he is less clutch than Horry, and would just take minutes from him.

Keep rolling with what you have.

AFBlue
01-15-2008, 01:49 PM
The fact remains that the Spurs will likely roll with the guys on the team. Another reason this whole Webber thing is a moot point.

Agreed.

This is mostly the reason why I conceded the points on Webber, because I even handicapped the long odds of this actually happening in my first post.

I just had to take the time to make the "most anything is better than Elson" argument. Let's hope I don't have to keep making that argument next season.

SenorSpur
01-15-2008, 01:59 PM
Agreed.

This is mostly the reason why I conceded the argument, because I even handicapped the long odds of this actually happening in my first post.

I just had to take the time to make the "most anything is better than Elson" argument. Let's hope I don't have to keep making that argument next season.

I agree that Elson has underachieved and has been very inconsistent. I just don't think he's as bad as some here make him out to be. Yes, he's been an extremely frustrating player, especially when you see flashes of what he can do. He makes a superior block on one end, races to the other to catch a pass for a dunk. Then he'll come back and whiff on a defensive rotation and I'm screaming at the TV.

I've been holding out hope that he will one day provide a formidable defensive matchup against Dirk. So far, it hasn't happened. I just know that I don't want him gone yet. Certainly not this season and not until Ian and Splitter have become fully acclimated into the Spurs system.

I just don't see why so many here want him out. Well have to continue to disagree that Webber would bring more to the table than Elson. It's all good.

AFBlue
01-15-2008, 02:28 PM
I just know that I don't want him gone yet. Certainly not this season and not until Ian and Splitter have become fully acclimated into the Spurs system.

We'll agree to disagree on this one as well.

Elson wasn't given much time to "acclimate" before he was thrust into the rotation, averaging close to 20MPG and starting in almost half of the contests last season.

I think Splitter is heady enough to come in and potentially give the same type of minutes in his first year. Yes, he'll take his lumps in the beginning, but I think he could surpass Elson's first-year production, and unlike Elson...I think he'll actually improve from there.

Let's also not forget that Mahinmi will be vying for rotation time as well. That means that there are two potential replacements for Elson's minutes and production next year.

Finally, this duo would be backing up a SOLID frontcourt player in Oberto. If Oberto can give 25-30 minutes a night, that will also lessen the burden on the young guys.

Bottom Line: It would be a luxury to have a veteran onboard so that the transition for Splitter and Mahinmi is easier, but I'm just not sure that Elson @ $3M is worth it.

I'd rather see the Spurs pull Splitter in right away and give Mahinmi a shot at proving he deserves minutes....but that's just me.

Bruno
01-15-2008, 02:54 PM
Spurs weren't interested in Webber last year. I don't think they have changed their mind on that.

peskypesky
01-15-2008, 08:39 PM
I'd go for Webber. Lose Elson, Horry and/or Bonner.

Webber averaged 20pts and 10 rebounds and 3.4 assists per game in 2006 season. That wasn't so long ago. I think he would be helpful coming off the bench.

peskypesky
01-15-2008, 08:41 PM
Elson, for all his athleticism, just seems like a dumb guy with zero b-ball IQ. Horry looks finished. Bonner can't jump and is too inconsistent. I'd prefer Webber.

timmy21_4rings
01-15-2008, 10:46 PM
Webber performed better than expected last year with Pistons

SequSpur
01-15-2008, 11:47 PM
Matt Bonner is not a big, he plays more like a wussy backup point guard.

T Park
01-16-2008, 12:25 AM
He doesn't play like you Sequ so your wrong again.

Horry looks finished

:lol @ fools thinking Horry is finished based on regular season games...

itzsoweezee
01-16-2008, 12:46 AM
you know who would be better than webber? luis fucking scola! the dumb cheap bitches in the front office didn't make that happen. i sincerely doubt anyone worth anything is going to be joining the spurs any time soon.

T Park
01-16-2008, 01:06 AM
you know who would be better than webber? luis fucking scola!

good god....

Please_dont_ban_me
01-16-2008, 01:35 AM
And split minutes with Horry? I suppose.

I wouldn't play him over Oberto though. Elson mayyyyyyyybe.

remingtonbo2001
01-16-2008, 01:48 AM
you know who would be better than webber? luis fucking scola! the dumb cheap bitches in the front office didn't make that happen. i sincerely doubt anyone worth anything is going to be joining the spurs any time soon.

:lol :lol :lol

You knew it was coming.

Hey you know what would be better than Luis fuckin' Scola?

Fabricio fuckin' Oberto.

Oh yeah, Splitter too!

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-16-2008, 11:31 AM
Uh, Weber was always a defensive liability. :lol

True...but at least he had some lateral movement a few years back.

On the bright side, however, he does know the proper time to call a timeout.

rascal
01-16-2008, 12:47 PM
Lakers are one of the 3 teams interested in Webber.

T Park
01-16-2008, 02:17 PM
Good for them.

T Park
01-16-2008, 02:18 PM
Good, let the Lakers take on his kryptonite to a ring...

DazedAndConfused
01-16-2008, 02:19 PM
Webber wants to go back to Detroit from what I hear, but Detroit doesn't want or need him. The Lakers could definitely use another big while Bynum is out and the triangle seems like it'd be the perfect fit for C-Webb.

SenorSpur
01-16-2008, 02:22 PM
I hope the Fakers acquire him. However I heard last night that while Webber, or anyone else for that matter, could have anticipated the Lakers successful surge, Webber still would prefer going to team that he KNOWS will make a DEEP PUSH into the playoffs. A true championship contender.

Medvedenko
01-16-2008, 02:37 PM
Yeah, I would like the lakers to pick him up....we only have 1 centre on the team....both Mihm and Bynum are out. We need to do something. I have no delusions as to our championship run this year, but it would be nice to make a deep push in the playoffs to get some experience for our young guys.

Purple & Gold
01-16-2008, 03:14 PM
If Webber's smart he'll jump on the Lakers bandwagon.

Obstructed_View
01-16-2008, 08:22 PM
If Webber's smart...
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q228/GeneralPurpose/Spurstalk/BigFuckingIf.jpg

BonnerDynasty
01-16-2008, 08:38 PM
Seems like when I was watching a little of the Det/Cle matchup last season, Webber was busting his ass out there.

Obviously Duncan and Bonner are staying, so someone has gots to go.

Ocotillo
01-16-2008, 09:05 PM
I think Splitter is heady enough to come in and potentially give the same type of minutes in his first year. Yes, he'll take his lumps in the beginning, but I think he could surpass Elson's first-year production, and unlike Elson...I think he'll actually improve from there.

Let's also not forget that Mahinmi will be vying for rotation time as well. That means that there are two potential replacements for Elson's minutes and production next year.

Finally, this duo would be backing up a SOLID frontcourt player in Oberto. If Oberto can give 25-30 minutes a night, that will also lessen the burden on the young guys.

Actually Horry will likely be gone next year and his minutes will be available as well. I guess that makes Bonner vet backup big.

There is still a lot of season left in this season but it is going to be exciting to see Splitter and if Mahinmi continues to progress in D-league.

Please_dont_ban_me
01-16-2008, 11:42 PM
Yeah, I would like the lakers to pick him up....we only have 1 centre on the team....both Mihm and Bynum are out. We need to do something. I have no delusions as to our championship run this year, but it would be nice to make a deep push in the playoffs to get some experience for our young guys.

Mihm's hurt again?

Has that guy played a whole season yet?

Please_dont_ban_me
01-16-2008, 11:43 PM
Actually Horry will likely be gone next year and his minutes will be available as well. I guess that makes Bonner vet backup big.

There is still a lot of season left in this season but it is going to be exciting to see Splitter and if Mahinmi continues to progress in D-league.

Would anybody really be surprised if we win it all...and Horry comes back one more year?

duncan228
01-17-2008, 12:00 AM
Would anybody really be surprised if we win it all...and Horry comes back one more year?

I think Horry retires after this season, win or not.
I think he stuck around this season to help get the repeat. If they hadn't won it last year I think he would have hung it up and not played this year.

genomefreak13
01-17-2008, 12:47 AM

One thing I notice about Pop's choice of players is that he maintains the same types.

Matt bonner is like danny ferry a few years back. Can shoot accurately from the outside and can defend legitimately in the low post. And he's white :lol

Duncan is a fundamentalist, that's why I think, Pop choose splitter (who is like duncan is a fundamentalist) he's tall and can defend also. He might be in the spurs future. If ever Pop want another David Robinson, he could get Shaq from the heat. I know that would be great. Shaq even 0ff his peak, would still be a great tandem to duncan. Plus he's a veteran winner (just like Robinson).

Oberto is a scrappy player, Pop might have thought of getting another one, that's why he choose Scola. In the end, he might have changed his mind and looked forward to the future and choose Tiago splitter (the likely offensive player for the spurs once duncan is off his peak) instead. Oberto is so good in his position that he made Scola dispensible.

Elson, on the otherhand is Pop version of Kevin Willis. Not to offensive minded but athletic, and obviously can defend. Can sometime score, but usually gives the points to the main man-Duncan.

Horry is the most unique of them all. He has no "counterpart" with the past spurs line up. Pop got him to score when it matters most. That's why it's ok if his not playing for now. I think, Pop believe in the saying...If we can't beat him, put him in our the roster. BETTER WITH THE SPURS THAN HORRY SHOOTING FOR THE LAKERS!

In conclusion..I think Pop is looking past webber during this time. They don't need a second scoring forward, nor a passing one (unless Webber can morph into the likes of big shot Rob). Based on Pop's history in choosing players, I have to say, Webber (whether he can play or not ) has no use to San Antonio. He cannot defend in the post (that why detroit ditched him), neither can he be physical below.

Thanks guys !

Obstructed_View
01-18-2008, 12:05 AM
Pop has a hard on for guys past their prime who can't play defense. At least Webber is tall.

T Park
01-18-2008, 12:15 AM
Pop has a hard on for guys past their prime who can't play defense

yeah this past summer held that up.

SequSpur
01-18-2008, 01:25 AM
Webber right now would be a nice welcome compared to having elson,bonner, oberto and horry in the middle.

T Park
01-18-2008, 01:25 AM
Webber = no rings

LOSER

JUST WIN

PERIOD

NEXT!

Budkin
01-18-2008, 01:26 AM
No, no, and no.

loveforthegame
01-18-2008, 10:35 AM
No thanks. Get us PJ Brown instead. There is someone who could help in the middle.

howbouthemspurs
01-18-2008, 03:27 PM
I think webber would be a good fit!... I mean why not?

nkdlunch
01-18-2008, 04:42 PM
The only positive would be that Webber would be hungry for a ring and push our guys. We all know our guys are bored and might need extra incentive to go out for a ring. Especially Pop!!

Ocotillo
01-18-2008, 04:58 PM
One thing I notice about Pop's choice of players is that he maintains the same types.

Horry is the most unique of them all. He has no "counterpart" with the past spurs line up. Pop got him to score when it matters most. That's why it's ok if his not playing for now. I think, Pop believe in the saying...If we can't beat him, put him in our the roster. BETTER WITH THE SPURS THAN HORRY SHOOTING FOR THE LAKERS!

I would compare him to the Mario Elie role.

ambchang
01-22-2008, 04:31 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/sixers/2008-01-21-obrien-webber_N.htm

By Dan Gelston, The Associated Press
PHILADELPHIA — Chris Webber never really fit in Philadelphia, dissatisfied with his role, the offensive system and all the losing in nearly two ill-fated years with the 76ers.
Former coach Jim O'Brien saw all the unhappiness early in Webber's tenure, shortly after the former NBA All-Star forward was acquired from Sacramento near the 2005 trade deadline.

"He clearly was toward the end of his career," O'Brien said Monday.

O'Brien, now in his first year coaching Indiana, was fired after only one season in Philadelphia. Webber played 21 games for the Sixers that year, but rarely hid his distaste about playing for O'Brien. The pair clashed almost from the beginning, and Webber called the final 21 games "timeout times 50," a reference to his infamous gaffe at Michigan in the 1993 national championship game.

"It became very apparent he wasn't going to give the 76ers everything we had hoped for," O'Brien said.

Speaking openly about Webber for the first time since he was fired at the end of 2005, O'Brien said before Indiana's game at Philadelphia that the forward was never interested in practice or truly committed to the offensive scheme.

"Webber didn't practice at all that year prior to coming to us," O'Brien said. "He didn't practice at all the previous six weeks. I think he was just at the point where he didn't necessarily feel where he was in need of practice, or could practice, or couldn't practice and play at the same time."

O'Brien said he wanted to actively use Webber, who had lost some mobility and agility after microfracture knee surgery, in the low post to open up shots for three-point threat Kyle Korver.

"He said, 'Coach, I don't do the low-post thing anymore,"' O'Brien recalled. "We just made a major trade to bring in this 6-11 guy and he said, 'No.' I said, 'Yes, you do."'

Webber's unhappiness forced him to meet with O'Brien to express his grievances with his role. O'Brien was fired three weeks after the Sixers were eliminated by Detroit in the playoffs — the organization's last playoff appearance — and replaced by former Sixer Maurice Cheeks.

Cheeks is coaching the final year of a three-year contract.

"I just think it would have been a very difficult group to coach the following year, quite frankly," O'Brien said. "I'm just glad Maurice Cheeks had that opportunity instead of me."

Webber bounced back under Cheeks in 2005-06 with solid averages of 20.2 points, 9.9 rebounds and 3.4 assists in 75 games. But he fell out of favor with Cheeks early last season, was benched in several fourth quarters and accepted a contract buyout in January.

He finished last season with Detroit.

O'Brien said he agreed at the time with then-team president Billy King's decision to acquire Webber.

"That move enabled us to make the playoffs," O'Brien said.

O'Brien, a Philadelphia native who played for Saint Joseph's, sat at home the past two years and collected the nearly $8 million owed to him by the Sixers. He is glad he earned another chance in Indiana.

"I was hoping I'd get another opportunity and I did," O'Brien said. "I've always been a Philadelphia fan. I hope they turn that franchise around."

Copyright 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.