PDA

View Full Version : Is Bryant is using the media to defend himself in this case

ducks
08-08-2003, 06:47 PM
Friday, August 8
Network didn't feel message was compatible with award
------------------------------------------------------------------------
ESPN.com news services
NEW YORK -- FOX television said Friday that the network omitted part of Kobe Bryant's acceptance speech during the 2003 Teen Choice Awards program that aired Wednesday.

The program was taped Saturday and aired just hours after Bryant appeared in an Eagle, Colo., courtroom for the preliminary hearing in his sexual assault case.

Bryant was accepting the award for favorite male sports figure. Part of his acceptance speech included the claim "an injustice anywhere is an injustice everywhere."

A FOX spokesman said that the network felt the remark was not suited to accepting his award, and was edited from the broadcast.

The rest of Bryant's remarks did make the show. Those included Bryant saying "we're flying through some dark clouds" now, but that with God's will, "the sun will rise and shine again."

Underscoring Bryant's Teen Choice Awards appearance is the ongoing debate over whether Bryant is using the media and his celebrity status to promote his side of the case.

Bryant's appearance on the show was his latest high-profile sighting since news of his legal problems surfaced in July. Bryant attended ESPN's ESPY Awards ceremony on July 16 -- an appearance that reportedly made Pamela Mackey, one of Bryant's attorneys, consider quitting as part of his legal counsel. Bryant also made headlines with his purchase of a $4 million ring for his wife, Vanessa.

Information from the Associated Press was used in this report. scoop (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/story?id=1592765)

spursfaninla
08-08-2003, 07:22 PM
biotch can't stand that he is going OJ. He wants the public to still love him, and he wants it so bad he keeps thinking if he does a little "campaigning" it will help smooth things over.

Duh.

Do I blame him? NO.

Am I going to be swayed by such transparent attempts?

NO.

next.

Aggie Hoopsfan
08-08-2003, 09:36 PM
That's awesome that Fox said "**** that" and edited it. Hilarious.

So the attorney chick wasn't happy with his public appearances. Perhaps I need to give her a little credit - I figured her legal team was part of the planning group behind Kobe's appearances and comments.

Hey Kobe, I'll tell you what's an injustice damn near anywhere - committing adultery. Well, there's some third world religions that allow polygamy, but last I checked he wasn't practicing any of them.

AHF

2pac
08-09-2003, 04:33 AM
I saw you at the Rock Prarie Kroger last Friday. You were on your way out as I went in.

Nbadan
08-09-2003, 07:43 AM
Hey Kobe, I'll tell you what's an injustice damn near anywhere - committing adultery. Well, there's some third world religions that allow polygamy, but last I checked he wasn't practicing any of them.

Dude, get a life. Kobe made a mistake, if his wife can forgive him, then why can't we? Don't like him? Too bad. Just another reason for you to hate the Lakers.

It's not like the Spurs are all saints either..

Apparently, Spur fans have short memories...so if I may remind you..

Two ex-Boston Celtics players have settled a lawsuit brought by a woman who says she was raped in November 1997 at the home of forward Antoine Walker. Ron Mercer and Chauncey Billups agreed to pay the woman an undisclosed sum, the Boston Herald reported today. But a third man who was accused, Walker's housemate Michael Irvin, has not settled because he has no money, his attorney, Willie Davis, said. Walker, who did not participate in the alleged assault but is accused of walking through a bedroom while it took place, also is named in the lawsuit. He has refused to pay. U.S. District Court Judge Richard Stearns has granted a motion to dismiss the case, but did not enter final judgment. A lower court has ruled that Walker had no duty to stop the alleged assault, but that ruling was overturned in federal court last year. Walker has filed a counter-complaint against Mercer and Billups, but those records have been sealed. The woman said she was raped by Billups, Mercer and Irvin in a bedroom of Walker's Waltham home after meeting the players at a comedy club. She also said Walker entered the bedroom during the assault, but declined Irvin's invitation to have sex with the woman. No criminal charges were filed.

Gang rape, are you kiddin me?

humm...Where is the moral outrage Spur fans?

:vomit

H Y P O C R I T E

:lol

ducks
08-09-2003, 11:37 AM
nice link?

if he did rape her then he should go to prison. did the case go to trail?

if it did not I would think she was maybe a golddigger. ONLY BECAUSE she did not call the police. she knew she had the guys and she had lots of leverage.

DreamShake
08-09-2003, 04:21 PM
Nbadan laying down the SERIOUS smack!

Niiiccceee...

Rock on!

KoriEllis
08-09-2003, 04:34 PM
So, is there a link on that, NBADan?

By what is written there, Mercer and Billups paid her off so it wouldn't go to court. I'd like to see more details.

(And yes, most fans are hypocrites when it comes to their own team.)

Aggie Hoopsfan
08-09-2003, 05:38 PM
Dude, get a life. Kobe made a mistake, if his wife can forgive him, then why can't we? Don't like him? Too bad. Just another reason for you to hate the Lakers.

Man, **** off. It's not like I need another reason to hate them. I don't like Kobe because he's a laker, but I respected his game and I thought it was good that one of the stars of the league wasn't a thug. A lot of kids looked up to him, and I had no problem with that (much better than having someone like AI out there).

Adultery is one of the biggest problems in America today, and to top it all off his little smug ass sat on a podium next to his wife, and said "hey, I'm a man, it happens..."

That after changing his story 2-3 times over the course of the story coming out.

That's bullshit, don't get married if you can't handle the responsibility.

So far all Kobe has said in the last couple of weeks is that

1) it's okay to lie
2) it's okay to cheat on your wife if you're a man

That's bullshit, stand up and take responsibilities for your actions, or don't try and call yourself a role model or a star.

And don't use award shows to try and clear your name either, talk about being a pussy.

AHF

2Cleva
08-09-2003, 06:15 PM
Aggie - When has Kobe not stood up for his actions? You care an awful lot about his personal life not to be sleeping with him.

But he's only claiming that he didn't commit a crime, not that he's done nothing wrong. There IS a difference.

Archie
08-09-2003, 07:22 PM
Well ****, his "personal life" is everywhere we turn today. That's not our fault.

ChumpDumper
08-09-2003, 07:31 PM
No criminal charges were filed.

A civil settlement has nothing at all to do with a criminal charges, which are filed at the descretion of the DA, not the accuser. If the accuser never went to the DA to claim the gang rape, then it might be concluded she was really in it for the money.

An interesting story nonetheless.

Aggie Hoopsfan
08-09-2003, 08:45 PM
2cleva,

Did you miss Kobe's press conference? The one where he said, "I'm a man just like everybody"?

That's a cop out.

As for me "obsessing" with things, you're the one who's here running down anyone who hasn't lined up to kiss Kobe's ass and call him God, why don't you get a life.

AHF

2Cleva
08-10-2003, 06:05 PM
Aggie - OK. Its the media who put him on that pedestal more than anything he's said.

adidas11
08-11-2003, 01:40 PM
Quote: "Adultery is one of the biggest problems in America today, and to top it all off his little smug ass sat on a podium next to his wife, and said "hey, I'm a man, it happens..." "

Nope. The biggest problem in America and the rest of the world today is the concept of marriage. It's an outdated concept.

ducks
08-11-2003, 01:57 PM
marriage is not outdated

KoriEllis
08-11-2003, 02:58 PM
The biggest problem in America and the rest of the world today is the concept of marriage. It's an outdated concept.

Wow.

:wtf

To each his own, but I find that comment sad.

Aggie Hoopsfan
08-11-2003, 03:17 PM
The biggest problem in America and the rest of the world today is the concept of marriage. It's an outdated concept.

Yeah, **** marriage. **** religion. Anarchy rules [/dumbass]

So if marriage is outdated, what does that say about your dipshit hero Kobe Bryant, he of the married man variety?

Damn, way to piss any credibility or respect you had down the drain adidas.

AHF

Tawnia79
08-11-2003, 03:22 PM
ok, I'm going to make an assumption here that I HOPE is what Adidas meant... did you mean the world's view of marriage (which is what I hope you meant), or the actual institution of marriage?

I'm not married, but I also don't intend to be until I'm ready to be fully and completely comitted to one person. If you ask me, not enough people that get married fully understand that concept. That's where I think the problem lies.

ducks
08-11-2003, 03:31 PM
I agree with that post.

people need to be commited to one person. marriage is not an outdated concepts. but people need to be commited before they get married to one person.

Nbadan
08-11-2003, 04:36 PM
Common...people have cheated for years, and marriage is still alive and well. Just because the media has decided that selling papers or higher TV ratings is more important than the sanctity of a couples private lives, does not mean that infidelity is any more prevalent than it used to be.

It's rather idealistic to think that when you get married, problems like infidelity, drug use, and alcoholism aren't gonna come up, but It's the couples who can work through those situations that will survive in the long run.

It's those couples who can't lower their egos enough to accept that their relationship, that no relationship is perfect, which won't ever be able to cope with the responsibilities of a long-term relationship.

The Bryant's problems aren't any different from anyone else, it's just that theirs are splashed all over the media.

ChumpDumper
08-11-2003, 04:45 PM
The Bryant's problems aren't any different from anyone else, it's just that theirs are splashed all over the media. And that he's accused of rape, but I guess I digress.

Aggie Hoopsfan
08-11-2003, 05:07 PM
The Bryant's problems aren't any different from anyone else, it's just that theirs are splashed all over the media.

Well,

1) being accused of rape
2) being famous

will do that to you.

But who's keeping track?

AHF

Tawnia79
08-11-2003, 07:26 PM
It's rather idealistic to think that when you get married, problems like infidelity, drug use, and alcoholism aren't gonna come up, but It's the couples who can work through those situations that will survive in the long run.

I don't think anyone is saying that they WON'T come up, but it's possible to have a marriage that doesn't involve any of those problems. It usually involves couples that continually work on their relationship and keep themselves out of compromising situations. Those are avoidable problems.