01-15-2008, 09:07 PM
Faux News is calling it.

Nbadan
01-15-2008, 09:11 PM
...Clinton caries Michigan easy...

Yonivore
01-15-2008, 09:22 PM
Ouch (http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080114/NEWS15/80114043):

The Michigan Democratic ballot is a sham that was rigged by Hillary Rodham Clinton, her husband and her supporters to give the nation the impression that she’s the leading candidate in Michigan, an angry former Sen. Don Riegle said Monday.

Riegle appeared at a rally in Detroit today to encourage would-be supporters of Barack Obama and John Edwards to vote uncommitted in Tuesday’s primary. Riegle said he supports one of the two, but wouldn’t say which.

“What happened in Michigan is not very different from what used to happen in the old Soviet Union,” Riegle said. “The Clinton machine manipulated the ballot. They don’t care how they win, only that they do. It’s wrong and people need to know that.”
Rand Simberg (http://www.transterrestrial.com/archives/010389.html#010389) knows Don Riegle and thinks it's a sign that Democrats are getting tired of the Clintons.

Mavtek
01-15-2008, 09:28 PM
Rock on Paul destroyed Paul and Thompson!

dallaskd
01-15-2008, 10:08 PM
super tuesday will be the dubya (the decider)

these other prelims are meaningless

Come on, let the mormon have his 15 seconds of fame.

Cant_Be_Faded
01-15-2008, 10:17 PM
Ouch (http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080114/NEWS15/80114043):

Rand Simberg (http://www.transterrestrial.com/archives/010389.html#010389) knows Don Riegle and thinks it's a sign that Democrats are getting tired of the Clintons.

I do not understand any of this michigan bull shit. The Michigan state and national democratic parties got in an argument over moving the primary forward...therefore barack and edwards remove their names from the ballot, encourage "uncommitted" while Hilary leaves her name on the ballot?

Can someone please fill in the holes in my understanding of this? Because for once I totally agree with Yoni. This seems like total voter-mind-influencing bull shit.

Cant_Be_Faded
01-15-2008, 10:19 PM
super tuesday will be the dubya (the decider)

these other prelims are meaningless

Based on what I've learned on the manner in which the media covers elections I disagree. By simply talking about "momentum" ad infinitum like 4-2 weeks ago they achieved a momentum for the candidates resulting from the early results that has to have some sort of effect on future voting.

Cant_Be_Faded
01-15-2008, 10:26 PM
makes sense
When should we be expecting ads to show up in contested states/texas? I haven't seen stuff yet.

Cant_Be_Faded
01-15-2008, 10:28 PM
because michigan moved its primary up so early, obama and edwards boycotted the state with the understanding that the other major dem candidates would as well. hillary didn't play ball

I think even though that move is gay, common voters seeing that she has won two primaries in a row can have an effect. And with as close as obama/hilary seems to be, any little push can matter.

Cant_Be_Faded
01-15-2008, 10:38 PM
Ugh

I think this whole primary bull shit is fucking retarded.....we should move texas primary up at least to make it matter, but i hate the way this whole thing is structured.
Why do white evangelical farmers in iowa matter more than white evangelical farmers in texas?

laame

Extra Stout
01-15-2008, 10:40 PM
What would be typical is if Obama is leading Hillary by like 90 delegates, and then all of a sudden the DNC decides those 116 Michigan delegates count after all.

Mr. Peabody
01-16-2008, 12:27 AM
oh, and let me again debunk the republicans' fantasy that if HC is the dem nominee, people will come out of the woodwork just to vote against her
trust me. they won't. doesn't happen like that.

40% of the people voting Democratic in Michigan came out just to vote against her. She barely captured a majority in a Democratic primary where she was the only candidate on the ballot. If Democratic voters in Michigan are motivated enough to go out and vote, not for anyone - just against Hillary, how motivated do you think Republican voters will be?

remingtonbo2001
01-16-2008, 01:13 AM
Rock on Paul destroyed Paul and Thompson!

I think Ron Paul destroyed himself awhile back... :spin

I guess this would be your typical Paul advocate huh?

Mavtek
01-16-2008, 01:50 AM
I think Ron Paul destroyed himself awhile back... :spin

I guess this would be your typical Paul advocate huh?

Yep I'm that typical guy who has realized that our entire economy is a farce of lies debt and bullshit and that Ron Paul is the only candidate willing to even remotely discuss the idea that our monetary system is inherently flawed, along with our screwed up Foreign Policy.

Wild Cobra
01-16-2008, 01:59 AM
Come on, let the mormon have his 15 seconds of fame.
By the way you said that, can I assume you are a religeous biggot?

Mavtek
01-16-2008, 02:10 AM
By the way you said that, can I assume you are a religeous biggot?

Only bigots make assumptions:)

Wild Cobra
01-16-2008, 02:20 AM
Only bigots make assumptions:)
Meaning me? Bigot No. Reasonable prejudice, yes. Or do you mean dallaskd?

Carefully look up the definitions if you meant me.

I do pre judge people by what I see of them and my conclusions may or may not be true. But don't we all?

This pre-judgment was based on the phrasing of the sentence. "Come on, let the mormon have his 15 seconds of fame."

Doesn't that ring of bigotry?

Now I do think there is enough bigotry about the Latter Day Saints to hurt Romney. I am becoming more and more confident he can overcome that, because he is, without doubt, presidential material.

ChumpDumper
01-16-2008, 04:06 AM
Romney is a douchebag. If folks use his heretical religious beliefs as a reason to vote against him, so be it.

mikejones99
01-16-2008, 04:41 AM
these results should be ignored, Michigan and Florida arre not real states, they are infested with criminals.

jochhejaam
01-16-2008, 06:33 AM
Romney has overcome his biggest hurdle, the attacks on his religion. With that behind him, and momentum from Mich, he's a good bet to represent the Republicans in November.

fyatuk
01-16-2008, 08:52 AM

Not that it matters, they have no delegates.

AFBlue
01-16-2008, 09:37 AM
Romney has overcome his biggest hurdle, the attacks on his religion. With that behind him, and momentum from Mich, he's a good bet to represent the Republicans in November.

With a Romney win, NOBODY is a good bet to win the nomination.

If he'd lost, then you could say McCain had the edge for the nomination, but this win for Romney throws it all outta whack.

I need to look at the latest polls for Nevada and SC, but this race is nowhere near ending.

DarkReign
01-16-2008, 10:47 AM
Our primary was a farce. IF our Demo votes dont count in the overall total, then I'll be happy.

If they do, its collusion. It would seem our governor (Jennifer Gran-Mole) moved the primary to add relevance to the state's plight.

But it could be argued it was moved, full-well knowing the DNC would boycott the move thereby eliminating the candidates from the ballot. Only one with enough balls to buck the system would show up though, Clinton. Everyone else got the shaft.

Didnt matter for me, though. Voted Republican.

Wild Cobra
01-16-2008, 10:35 PM
I agree. He has good conservative principles, charisma, he's intelligent, and has been in real leadership roles. That was my concern all along. Bigotry against Mormons. Looks like I may have been wrong about that.

Go Mitt!

He has now become my bet for the next president. None of the demonrats can compete against him. He will have a win like Regan did. When a man knows how to voice conservative values with sincerity, authority, and conviction, history shows he is the winner every time against liberals.

Ignignokt
01-17-2008, 12:10 AM
who votes in primaries? hardcore political types at the extreme ideological ends of their respective party
who votes in a primary that was already rendered meaningless by its own party? really hardcore political types

you can't compare the michigan primary to the general election...

and, my take is that those people who voted undecided were not voting AGAINST HC, they were voting (symbolically, in an already meaningless event) FOR Edwards/Obama

having a bad candidate on the ballot depresses turnout for that party; it does not boost the turnout for the opposing party

while i agree with your first assumption, this second one is some fucked up logic.

Why would people vote for edwards obama if they were not gonna count?

if anything, the uncommitted was an anti hillary backlash.

Wild Cobra
01-17-2008, 09:59 PM
people voted for edwards/obama because at the last minute the edwards and obama campaigns told supporters to vote 'uncommitted'
It's even worse than that. I heard the numbers, but forget. Anyway, very few people voted democrat to include "uncommitted." If we consider the numbers that would have voted normally that ddn't, and would have voted for a different candidate... Hillary would have lost big.

Won't hear such things on CNN (Clinton News Network) or any of the other ANNs (Alphabet News Networks.)

Any one hear the turnout numbers? If I recall right, it was about 70% republican. If we arbitrarily use a 45/10/45 democrat/other/republican turnout, then only about 40% of the normal democrat turnout was in play. Who would the other 60% vote for?

Nbadan
01-17-2008, 11:52 PM
New delegate totals at CNN - Super delegates included

Hillary - 190
Obama - 103
Edwards - 51
Kucinich - 1

CNN (http://edition.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/primaries/results/scorecard/#D)

Richardsons were evidently released and redistributed.

Wild Cobra
01-18-2008, 12:45 AM
Well, how special. Isn't it a bit early to mean anything?

8.52% of the democrat delegates are counted. Hillary is 9.38% there for 50%+1 and Obama is at 5.09%. Even with Edwards at 2.52%, statistically, he still has a chance. Kucinich (0.05%) and Grave (0%) I think we can count on as out... unless something nice happens for them

As for the republicans. Only 4.24% of their delegates are counted. Romney has a resounding lead at 54 delegates of the 1191 needed to win. A huge victory at 4.53% of the 50%+1 needed. Of course I'm joking. Not so resounding considering the 32 delegate lead is only 1.34% of the total delegates. Huckabee has 22 delegates (1.85%.) McCain has 15 (1.26%) and Thompson has 6 (0.50%.) Both Giuliani and Hunter are happy with only one delegate (0.08%.) At least they aren't sitting at zero like Gravel!