PDA

View Full Version : Toros vs. Skyforce Jan 16. - Reminder

timvp
01-16-2008, 12:35 PM
The Toros have two games as part of the D-League showcase. The first game is today at noon CST. The game will be shown live on NBATV and it's also available on the internet.

More info on the D-League showcase:

NBA TV will spotlight the dreams and aspirations of more than 150 NBA hopefuls when the network presents the 2008 D-League Showcase from Monday, Jan. 14 through Thursday, Jan. 17. One of the most popular events on the D-League calendar, the Showcase, which will feature all 14 teams, has become the annual meeting place for NBA general managers, scouts and player personnel directors, who are looking for players who can bolster their roster. NBA TV will televise all 14 games when the D-League assembles for the 2008 Showcase at Qwest Arena in Boise, Idaho.

NBA TV and D-League.com will once again take a comprehensive and innovative approach to the event by delivering special features, including video profiles, scouting reports and player interviews, and introducing new technologies and production methods for possible use during future NBA telecasts. NBA TV and D-League.com’s event coverage will include:

- Live Webcasts of all Showcase games
- All-Access looks into team locker rooms prior to the game and at halftime
- Enhanced microphones on select players to capture the sounds of the event
- Daily Blogs from D-League President Dan Reed

Los Angeles Lakers legend and two-time NBA champion Norm Nixon will team with former 12-year NBA star and current Utah Jazz studio analyst Thurl Bailey to evaluate the talent. Rick Kamla and Andre Aldridge will co-host NBA TV’s coverage and handle play-by-play duties, in addition to delivering interviews with NBA player personnel executives and general managers in attendance.

For those not following the Toros too closely, the team is led by Spurs draft pick Ian Mahinmi (who the Spurs have under contract) ... and former Spurs Marcus Williams, Keith Langford and DerMarr Johnson.

Game starts in 30 minutes. To watch online, use this link:

http://www.nba.com/dleague/webcastDleague.html

Edit -- here is the direct link to the live video:

http://boss.streamos.com/wmedia-live/nba/26581/500_nba-d-leagueskyforce_071102.asx

timvp
01-16-2008, 01:07 PM
Justin Bowen starting over Marcus Williams and DerMarr Johnson? Interesting.

ChumpDumper
01-16-2008, 02:01 PM
Ugliest game in the showcase by far. Toros are defending well but have zero offensive rhythm. They should be up by 20.

T Park
01-16-2008, 02:04 PM
Rick Kamla feels differently than you Timvp in that Keith Langford has a "great guard's body" for the NBA.

T Park
01-16-2008, 02:05 PM
love the Austin jerseys with the U as a spur.

Anyone know how you can get an Anthony Fuqu jersey? kidding...

ChumpDumper
01-16-2008, 02:15 PM
Langford and Reed are gunning a little too much. The Toros are fortunate Kasib Powell got in foul trouble, but Marcus (with some doubling help) did a fair job on him when he was playing, keeping his attempts down.

ChumpDumper
01-16-2008, 02:23 PM
Toros shooting shirts brought to you by HEB - the Vipers have pretty big sponsor names on theirs as well.

ChumpDumper
01-16-2008, 02:34 PM
Ian with a dumb inbounds TO leads to Sioux Falls' tying the game at 55. Kasib lighting it up.

Langford running the point since Gadson stopped playing D.

ChumpDumper
01-16-2008, 02:41 PM
Looks like the Skyforce's scoring run woke the Toros up. They finally realize they can score inside at will.

ChumpDumper
01-16-2008, 02:54 PM
Justin Reed is a ballhog but he's getting to the line a lot. DerMarr and Ian with stupid fouls on Kasib, keeping the Skyforce in the game.

ChumpDumper
01-16-2008, 03:16 PM
Ian taking over late, showing good footwork against a true big man and getting a monster block leading to a Bowen fastbreak layup that just might put the game away.

some_user86
01-16-2008, 03:17 PM
Looked like a great block by Ian, especially after his back-to-back shots. He seems to have kept Austin up for good. It's my first time watching the Toros but his defense looks nice (from the short parts that I watched).

some_user86
01-16-2008, 03:18 PM
That up-and-under by Ian was awesome. I'm liking him for the Spurs.

some_user86
01-16-2008, 03:21 PM
this is the first I've seen of D-league... it's pretty entertaining !

Mine too, and I agree, this is nice.

some_user86
01-16-2008, 03:23 PM
That last possession by Sioux Falls was lame.

Good win by Austin. I like D-League! It's surprisingly nice.

yavozerb
01-16-2008, 03:25 PM
Tommorrows game should have more NBA talent than todays..Should be good.

ChumpDumper
01-16-2008, 03:26 PM
All the games this showcase have been pretty decent except when Anaheim decided to not show up against Bakersfield. The Toros' perimeter D sucked too often -- they'd better tighten up or they'll get killed by LA tomorrow.

Southwest Texas Fan
01-16-2008, 03:26 PM
Does anyone know if they're broadcasting the game tonight?

yavozerb
01-16-2008, 03:27 PM
Chump are you going to the game tomm.?

ChumpDumper
01-16-2008, 03:28 PM
Chump are you going to the game tomm.?It's in Boise as well, so no. It'll be on TV and the internets again.

ChumpDumper
01-16-2008, 03:29 PM
Does anyone know if they're broadcasting the game tonight?Probably not, but NBAtv has been showing highlights on their regular NBA recap shows.

yavozerb
01-16-2008, 03:30 PM
I thought LA played the toros in austin tomm?

AFBlue
01-16-2008, 03:31 PM
Does anyone know if there's a replay of this game later on NBATV?

Unfortunately, my work blocks access to streaming media and I didn't record (a mistake I won't make tomorrow).

Just curious...

picnroll
01-16-2008, 03:56 PM
Impresseed with Mahinmi's offense and its variability. Nowhere nears as mechanical as he was earlier in the year. Surprisingly it seems like his O is ahead of his D now.

ChumpDumper
01-16-2008, 04:09 PM
Yeah, I don't know where Ian has been hiding those moves, but he's doing a whole lot to answer the question "who is going to score in the post when Duncan is out?"

He made Chris Alexander look like Moses Malone out there though. That's exactly the kind of guy he should be practicing against every day. I know it's hard to pass up a guy like Kris Lang when he's available, but Ian needs to be beat up more to prepare for the NBA. Guys like Marcus Campbell or Roderick Riley who were free agents for a time would have been nice additions in that vein.

objective
01-16-2008, 04:24 PM
how many times has Mahinmi been called up?

If he gets called up again, would that end his tour in the d-league this season?

Mr. Body
01-16-2008, 04:32 PM
Mahinmi hasn't been called up at all.

How did Chris Alexander wind up with 24 boards?

ChumpDumper
01-16-2008, 04:32 PM
I don't think he's been called up yet this season.
How did Chris Alexander wind up with 24 boards?He's large.

Mr. Body
01-16-2008, 04:37 PM
But did Mahinmi come away like he dominated the game? The stat line seems to show it.

ChumpDumper
01-16-2008, 04:50 PM
I like that he was playing a little closer to the basket. He should have gotten more shots but some of his teammates were trying to show off to scouts.

Bruno
01-16-2008, 05:02 PM
I've liked Mahinmi owning the end of the fourth. He made some sick movement on the offensive end.

Toros were quite disappointing in this game. I've had the feeling that some players were thinking "it's the showcase, I had to show my skills to be called up and I don't care about Toros wining or losing this game."

objective
01-16-2008, 05:03 PM
An interesting tidbit from the broadcast was that Mahinmi has been working under the tuteledge of Roy Rogers, something I've never heard nor read.

I'm glad he's actually able to work on his game with another big man, even if it is a minor player like Roy Rogers, though if Rogers hadn't had knee problems like he did maybe he would have had a better career. Hell his best year was his rookie year, after that if I recall correctly his health issues took over.

Too bad there isn't a big man on the Spurs assistant staff that could further work with Mahinmi here. I know all the assistants know their stuff, but there's probably something extra about having another bigman work hands-on with a player, like Kareem-Bynum or Ewing-Yao.

picnroll
01-16-2008, 05:22 PM
From some of those moves Rogers is doing a good job. Mahinimi was using some nice post footwork, put the ball on the floor a little, used his left hand including puttingh up good looking left handed hooks. Waayyy more than he was doing earlier. His development rate makes one wonder what the hell he was getting taught in France.

ChumpDumper
01-16-2008, 05:30 PM
As Bruno mentioned before, there is a chance they'll call Ian up for the rodeo road trip.

ChumpDumper
01-16-2008, 05:44 PM
mentioned in this thread...?No, I just want to give him credit for pointing out that James White was taken on the rodeo trip last season.

I'm really pleased with his progress offensively; he's coming along faster than I expected. Hopefully he can work on being more of a position rebounder next.

Solid D
01-16-2008, 06:06 PM
Technically, Mahinmi has 6 games as a Spur under his belt, during the first 3 weeks of the regular season. He had 12 points versus the Bucks. He was the first Spurs player assigned to Austin, on Nov. 21 but he has not been called up since being assigned (as Chump and Mr. Body stated).

ChumpDumper
01-16-2008, 06:14 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/toros2_627_080116.jpg

Bruno
01-16-2008, 07:05 PM
Thanks CD. :)

Tomorrow, it will be a great test for Mahinmi. D-Fenders have 3 quality bigmen with McCoy, Watkins and Lasme.

thiste
01-16-2008, 07:06 PM
there's probably something extra about having another bigman work hands-on with a player, like Kareem-Bynum or Ewing-Yao.

I know of one pretty good big man who still resides in san antonio and could teach him one thing or two about playing center.

(just daydreaming though I guess...)

objective
01-16-2008, 07:20 PM
I've also wondered about/hoped for the possibility of Robinson tutoring Mahinmi, especially for defense, but I've never heard or read anything to get my hopes up.

Ocotillo
01-16-2008, 08:05 PM
Whatever happened to Pete Newell's big man camp? Is that still offered?

Cowens would be an asset to have tutoring Ian.

objective
01-17-2008, 01:42 AM
is there any way to watch the games online after they're over?

I won't be able to watch Thursday, and would also like to watch the first half of Wednesday's game.