PDA

View Full Version : Tom Cruise: Has he lost his F*cking Mind?

Soul_Patch
01-16-2008, 02:28 PM
http://www.reuters.com/article/peopleNews/idUSN1554617420080116

"We're the authorities on getting people off drugs. We're the authorities on the mind. We're the authorities on improving conditions," he says. "We can rehabilitate criminals. Way to happiness. We can bring peace and unite cultures."

In the video, which could be seen on www.gawker.com, Cruise explained what made Scientologists different from others.

"Being a Scientologist, when you drive past an accident it's not like anyone else. As you drive past you know you have to do something about it because you know you're the only one who can help," the Oscar-nominated actor said.

How self absorbed can you be? This dude never ceases to amaze me.

samikeyp
01-16-2008, 02:31 PM
I thought he lost it a long time ago.

travis2
01-16-2008, 02:35 PM
Yes

spurs_fan_in_exile
01-16-2008, 02:35 PM
I'm beginning to wonder if the real Tom Cruise didn't die years ago and his handlers hired Ben Stiller to do his impression full time.

Condemned 2 HelLA
01-16-2008, 02:37 PM
Morton wrote that some Scientologists wondered if Cruise's wife, actress Katie Holmes, "had been impregnated with Hubbard's frozen sperm."

Medvedenko
01-16-2008, 02:41 PM
Yeah I saw this yesterday on WWTDD.com....crazy video. Now I have no problem against anyone preaching or spouting religious rhetoric, but something is off with this "technology". Hell, I'm sure it helps people, no doubt, why not.....but something is amiss.

SpursWoman
01-16-2008, 02:41 PM
Nah ... Katie's baby looks exactly like Chris Klein. :spin

And Tom lost it a long time ago. :fro

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-16-2008, 02:43 PM
Has anyone else noticed that the only thing missing from his latest hairstyle is the little Hitler mustache to complete the look?

http://images.starpulse.com/pictures/2008/01/10/previews/Tom%20Cruise-DGG-017929.jpg

katyon6th
01-16-2008, 02:45 PM
He has Katie Holmes brainwashed! Little Suri is a robot child! Someone needs to save them. Seriously.

Sunshine
01-16-2008, 02:47 PM
He has Katie Holmes brainwashed! Little Suri is a robot child! Someone needs to save them. Seriously.

Maybe the Scientologists will sav.....oh....n/m :oops

Melmart1
01-16-2008, 02:47 PM
Did you guys see Katie on Letterman the other night? I swear, she is a Stepford Wife if I ever saw one. Trying to act all proper and shit. She was never extraordinarily funny or interesting but at least there used to be a light in her eyes and she was more expressive before.

katyon6th
01-16-2008, 02:50 PM
I always liked Katie Holmes. I grew up with her on Dawson's Creek. She was awesome. She talked like a grown up, for Christ's sake! Now, she has a short haircut, an overly adorable robot child and a short husband - who's a Scientologist.

Sunshine
01-16-2008, 02:55 PM
Morton wrote that some Scientologists wondered if Cruise's wife, actress Katie Holmes, "had been impregnated with Hubbard's frozen sperm."

When it was first announced that she was expecting, I wondered if she'd been artifically inseminated (not necessarily with Ron Hubbard's frozen sperm). He has been married to Mimi Rogers and Nicole Kidman, who he never had biological kids with, although they tried. Mimi Rogers had two kids with her next husband and Nicole is now pregnant with Keith Urbans child.

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p132/margarita_hour/tomcruise.jpg = http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p132/margarita_hour/ist2_231878_shooting_blanks.jpg

Melmart1
01-16-2008, 03:05 PM
Nicole got pregnant several times but had miscarriages. I don't believe the insemination stuff, there is nothing to prove its true, just people trying really hard to be extra mean. Like the dude doesn't have enough problems just being a Scientologist.

ploto
01-16-2008, 03:05 PM
Long article on the book-- the most telling part to me is how they get information on people that can be used to blackmail them. I have always thought that is what they do to control people.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/showbiz/showbiznews.html?in_article_id=506359&in_page_id=1773

The author says that Cruise was asked in 1999 to do a "Potential Trouble Source/Suppressive Person course...designed to anchor an individual's faith while pinpointing those in his life who create problems".

Morton claims Scientologists were worried that Kidman might be a problem because her father was a psychologist - "which automatically made her a Potential Trouble Source" - and she had given an interview emphasising her roots as a Catholic.

"The fear was that a lukewarm Nicole could fatally compromise Tom's commitment to his faith," Morton writes.

"Somehow Tom had to be inoculated against the virus of doubt.

"The surefire cure for scepticism was the Potential Trouble Source/ Suppressive Person course, which reinforced wavering Scientologists' loyalty while making them more suspicious of those around them who were not members of the faith."

When Cruise decided to leave Nicole in 2000, she was worried that she might not be able to see the two children the couple had adopted.

Morton quotes a former highranking Scientologist claiming he received a call from Kidman's lawyer Bill Beslow: "At this point Nicole hated Scientology but was concerned for the kids.

"She did not want to ruin her relationship with them. I told the lawyer if she wants to stay with the children she will have to be quiet and not speak out about Scientology."

In particular, Morton claims she was worried about her "audit" tapes, which contained details of her sex life and which she feared might be leaked if she spoke out.

Morton recounts allegations that "auditing" focuses on the subject's sex life.

He quotes Hubbard's son, Ronald De Wolf, who fell out with his father, giving a Playboy interview: "You have complete control of someone if you have every detail of his sex life and fantasy life on record. In Scientology the focus is on sex. Sex, sex, sex.

"The first thing we wanted to know about someone we were auditing was his sexual deviations. All you've got to do is find a person's kinks, whatever they might be.

"Their dreams and their fantasies. Then you can fit a ring through their noses and take them anywhere. You promise to fulfil their fantasies or you threaten to expose them."

Morton says Karen Pressley was at Gold Base one evening when John Travolta's sexuality was openly discussed.

He writes: "'It made my head spin,' she recalls, 'and made me realise that the idea of confidentiality was a chimera.' As another Scientology executive admitted bluntly, 'These files come in handy if they want to blackmail you'."

florige
01-16-2008, 03:10 PM
Did you guys see Katie on Letterman the other night? I swear, she is a Stepford Wife if I ever saw one. Trying to act all proper and shit. She was never extraordinarily funny or interesting but at least there used to be a light in her eyes and she was more expressive before.

Maaan I missed that. I wanted to see that too!

Kermit
01-16-2008, 03:12 PM
Just like every other religion. Seriously, how is Scientology different? It requires you to make a leap of faith and believing in what ever mystical bullshit they espouse makes you in the eyes of the non-believers, insane. Scientology=Catholocism=Islam=every other bullshit religion/cult.

travis2
01-16-2008, 03:14 PM
Just like every other religion. Seriously, how is Scientology different? It requires you to make a leap of faith and believing in what ever mystical bullshit they espouse makes you in the eyes of the non-believers, insane. Scientology=Catholocism=Islam=every other bullshit religion/cult.

Except the Catholic Church doesn't try to blackmail you if you want to leave.

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-16-2008, 03:15 PM

Yeah. It's exactly the same. :spin

Kermit
01-16-2008, 03:15 PM
Except the Catholic Church doesn't try to blackmail you if you want to leave.
So, I guess you haven't been excommunicated. Works wonders for you in a Catholic community I hear.

travis2
01-16-2008, 03:16 PM
So, I guess you haven't been excommunicated. Works wonders for you in a Catholic community I hear.

you "hear"...in other words, you are just speaking out your ass...:rolleyes

Melmart1
01-16-2008, 03:17 PM
Maaan I missed that. I wanted to see that too!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mInAKC4yd6U&NR=1

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-16-2008, 03:17 PM

If you can't stand the heat.....

peewee's lovechild
01-16-2008, 03:18 PM
He lost it when he divorced Nicole Kidman.

I mean, what the fuck?!?!?

That's one hot piece of ass I'd hold on to.

Kermit
01-16-2008, 03:20 PM
Yeah. It's exactly the same. :spin
They're all fucking insane. Tom Cruise is just as bat-shit crazy as every other religious zealot.

Shelly
01-16-2008, 03:21 PM
I am so reading Andrew Morton's book!

CubanMustGo
01-16-2008, 03:23 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mInAKC4yd6U&NR=1

Damned shame they cut to a head shot when she sat down. I bet that was interesting to watch.

Kermit
01-16-2008, 03:25 PM
you "hear"...in other words, you are just speaking out your ass...:rolleyes
The very notion of excommunication is blackmail, to get you to do something in exchange for your soul not going to hell. For instance, (and this is an example) let's say you were caught blowing a homeless man and your priest told you that you would be excommunicated unless you stopped puffing the peters of nasty, smelly people living in the streets. That would be a form of blackmail, to get you to do what he wanted in exchange for something you seemingly valure. Your soul. Blackmail, Catholic style.

peewee's lovechild
01-16-2008, 03:27 PM
They're all fucking insane. Tom Cruise is just as bat-shit crazy as every other religious zealot.

Pat Robertson.

The Pope.

Any fundamentlist Muslim.

George W. Bush.

etc., etc. . . .

Extra Stout
01-16-2008, 03:28 PM
Interesting. Please cite the parallels between the average church- or synagogue-goer and the typical Operating Thetan. How do the theologies compare? What demands do the respective religions place upon the believer? Are they compulsory or voluntary?

Bigzax
01-16-2008, 03:28 PM
Pat Robertson.

The Pope.

Any fundamentlist Muslim.

George W. Bush.

etc., etc. . . .

Jesus...

travis2
01-16-2008, 03:31 PM
The very notion of excommunication is blackmail, to get you to do something in exchange for your soul not going to hell. For instance, (and this is an example) let's say you were caught blowing a homeless man and your priest told you that you would be excommunicated unless you stopped puffing the peters of nasty, smelly people living in the streets. That would be a form of blackmail, to get you to do what he wanted in exchange for something you seemingly valure. Your soul. Blackmail, Catholic style.

All you've shown by your "example" is that you don't have the slightest idea what you are talking about. It's nonsense.

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-16-2008, 03:33 PM

People can over-do/abuse anything. You seem like an agnostic zealot.

Can someone be a fanatical disbeliever?

But to compare Scientology to anything other than a cult just tells me you don't know much about what you're talking about.

Extra Stout
01-16-2008, 03:33 PM
Clearly, you've done your homework on what excommunication is, and are in no way making it up as you go along to rationalize your bigotry against the religious.

peewee's lovechild
01-16-2008, 03:35 PM
Interesting. Please cite the parallels between the average church- or synagogue-goer and the typical Operating Thetan. How do the theologies compare? What demands do the respective religions place upon the believer? Are they compulsory or voluntary?

Seriously, as far fetched and convoluted as Scientology may be . . . it's just like any other religion.

If rumors are true, because I don't have first hand knowledge of Scientology, it appears they believe in an alien race and some alien overlord and that they have intergalactic ships and that they're coming to Earth soon . . . . .

Why would angels (aliens) and Jesus/God (overlord) along with their vehicles (God's vehicle is described with detail in Appocalyse) be any different from Scientology??

It's just strange to most because anything that is different from the standard Judeo-Christian model is just strange.

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-16-2008, 03:35 PM

I'm guessing you were Catholic up to this point?

Kermit
01-16-2008, 03:38 PM
Please cite the parallels between the average church- or synagogue-goer and the typical Operating Thetan.[/OUOTE]

What churches? What an open-ended idiotic quesiton.

[QUOTE]How do the theologies compare?
Another open-ended idiotic question.

What demands do the respective religions place upon the believer?

Another open-ended idiotic question. I'm sure it varies from religion to religion.

Are they compulsory or voluntary?

Bait. Depends on the religion. I'm sure I can find you many religions just as intrusive and involuntary as many claim Scientology to be.

Extra Stout
01-16-2008, 03:39 PM
Seriously, as far fetched and convoluted as Scientology may be . . . it's just like any other religion.

If rumors are true, because I don't have first hand knowledge of Scientology, it appears they believe in an alien race and some alien overlord and that they have intergalactic ships and that they're coming to Earth soon . . . . .

Why would angels (aliens) and Jesus/God (overlord) along with their vehicles (God's vehicle is described with detail in Appocalyse) be any different from Scientology??

It's just strange to most because anything that is different from the standard Judeo-Christian model is just strange.
Well, first of all, typically a Christian church does not make you pay thousands of dollars to go to a Sunday School class, nor does it make you spend dozens of hours per week doing menial labor for the clergy. Also, if you choose to leave a Christian church, or even worse to criticize it, typically the other churchgoers will not attempt to frame you for a crime, destroy your career, or kill you.

Extra Stout
01-16-2008, 03:40 PM

Another open-ended idiotic question. I'm sure it varies from religion to religion.

Bait. Depends on the religion. I'm sure I can find you many religions just as intrusive and involuntary as many claim Scientology to be.
I thought you said Scientology was just like every other religion! But now things can vary from religion to religion? Which is it?

Kermit
01-16-2008, 03:41 PM
I'm sure everyone would love to make this a theology debate where I hate all religions. Just prove to me that they're not as make-believe as Scientology.

Kermit
01-16-2008, 03:43 PM
I thought you said Scientology was just like every other religion! But now things can vary from religion to religion? Which is it?
You can try to dangle all the bait you want. Just prove to me that religions in general don't do the same things you're accusing Scientology of doing. Please.

Medvedenko
01-16-2008, 03:43 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTKvNwyOx4E
TC video on Tom Cruise.....this vid is being ripped down constantly...see while you can.

Oh, and the difference I see is that they make you pay for each level of "enlightenment"....that's the catch. You can't get the truth unless you pay....that's my problem. Why not call it a business then, a course like in University. Becoming tax exempt is the problem.....

peewee's lovechild
01-16-2008, 03:44 PM
Well, first of all, typically a Christian church does not make you pay thousands of dollars to go to a Sunday School class, nor does it make you spend dozens of hours per week doing menial labor for the clergy. Also, if you choose to leave a Christian church, or even worse to criticize it, typically the other churchgoers will not attempt to frame you for a crime, destroy your career, or kill you.

Heard of the tithe??

It's a requirement in some religions. And, some countries still tax you to sustain "the church".

You may be right about your latter statement though, but I've been kicked out of religion before only to have my reputation smeared because of it. It may not have been a ploy to destroy my career or kill me, but it's just as petty.

However, 300 years ago, the Catholic Church would've definitely killed me.

I'm telling you, it's the same stuff with certain aspects that vary.

Kermit
01-16-2008, 03:45 PM
Cult=religion

cult /kʌlt/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[kuhlt] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
1. a particular system of religious worship, esp. with reference to its rites and ceremonies.
2. an instance of great veneration of a person, ideal, or thing, esp. as manifested by a body of admirers: the physical fitness cult.
3. the object of such devotion.
4. a group or sect bound together by veneration of the same thing, person, ideal, etc.
5. Sociology. a group having a sacred ideology and a set of rites centering around their sacred symbols.
6. a religion or sect considered to be false, unorthodox, or extremist, with members often living outside of conventional society under the direction of a charismatic leader.
7. the members of such a religion or sect.
8. any system for treating human sickness that originated by a person usually claiming to have sole insight into the nature of disease, and that employs methods regarded as unorthodox or unscientific.
–adjective
9. of or pertaining to a cult.
10. of, for, or attracting a small group of devotees: a cult movie.

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-16-2008, 03:46 PM

Kermit, you started out by saying that Scientology is the equal of ANY organized religion, yet when ES and Travis ask you to back that up you tap-dance and can't add anything meaningful other than some excommunication nonsense.

Who's the one being open-ended and idiotic? You jumped in to defend your buddy Tom, now why aren't you doing a better job of it?

Frankly I'm disappointed.

peewee's lovechild
01-16-2008, 03:48 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTKvNwyOx4E
TC video on Tom Cruise.....this vid is being ripped down constantly...see while you can.

Oh, and the difference I see is that they make you pay for each level of "enlightenment"....that's the catch. You can't get the truth unless you pay....that's my problem. Why not call it a business then, a course like in University. Becoming tax exempt is the problem.....

Do you even realize the billions upon billions that the Catholic Church has??
Fuck, they even own their own country!!!

The catholic church isn't the only "christian" belief that has gained riches off of thier believer, though. It's all a money making business.

So, you have a problem with Scientology making you pay your way to "enlightenment". What of having to pay your way to heaven, or paying to ensure the safety of your soul?

Scientology is just like any other religion.

Extra Stout
01-16-2008, 03:50 PM
You can try to dangle all the bait you want. Just prove to me that religions in general don't do the same things you're accusing Scientology of doing. Please.
1) No church I know of makes adherents pay most or all of their disposable income to learn its teachings. You can show up to a church and hear preaching free of charge. In Scientology, you have to take "courses" which cost thousands of dollars in order to move up levels as an "Operating Thetan."

2) No church I know of forces members to be indentured servants of the clergy. More often, they will ask for volunteers to help with worship services, programs, or charity endeavors. In Scientology, lower members must spend dozens of hours per week as the menial servants of higher-level Scientologists like the Hollywood actors.

3) No church I know of actively tries to destroy the lives of people who try to leave the group. If a person stops attending, they probably will get a few phone calls, maybe even a home visit, to see if they are OK. In Scientology, members who attempt to leave are threatened and harrassed. If they criticize Scientology in public, other Scientologists will destroy their lives by falsely accusing them of crimes, interfering with their jobs, or physically harming them.

The things I have described are the difference between a religion and a cult.

Borosai
01-16-2008, 03:54 PM
Organized religion does as much bad as it does good.

Scientology is more like an out-of-control Science Club full of wealthy wannabe aliens.

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-16-2008, 03:55 PM
Heard of the tithe??

It's a requirement in some religions. And, some countries still tax you to sustain "the church".

You may be right about your latter statement though, but I've been kicked out of religion before only to have my reputation smeared because of it. It may not have been a ploy to destroy my career or kill me, but it's just as petty.

I'm telling you, it's the same stuff with certain aspects that vary.

300 years ago? The Crusades were all but over by the 1,600s if that is what you are referring to. And they were basically a religious war between Muslims and Christians. Somewhat out of context don't you think?

And as for smearing your reputation, that IS petty. I would hope you would think a plot to ruin your career or kill you would be considered more than petty.

peewee's lovechild
01-16-2008, 03:56 PM
1) No church I know of makes adherents pay most or all of their disposable income to learn its teachings. You can show up to a church and hear preaching free of charge. In Scientology, you have to take "courses" which cost thousands of dollars in order to move up levels as an "Operating Thetan."

2) No church I know of forces members to be indentured servants of the clergy. More often, they will ask for volunteers to help with worship services, programs, or charity endeavors. In Scientology, lower members must spend dozens of hours per week as the menial servants of higher-level Scientologists like the Hollywood actors.

3) No church I know of actively tries to destroy the lives of people who try to leave the group. If a person stops attending, they probably will get a few phone calls, maybe even a home visit, to see if they are OK. In Scientology, members who attempt to leave are threatened and harrassed. If they criticize Scientology in public, other Scientologists will destroy their lives by falsely accusing them of crimes, interfering with their jobs, or physically harming them.

The things I have described are the difference between a religion and a cult.

Stout, these are all assumptions.

No one truly knows what goes on in that cooky religion. It's so damned secretive. All of these things are rumors.

There hasn't been a single person that has ever divulged the goings on of Scientology.

Plus, in the past, the christian "church" has been accused of this and more. What makes it so different?

Medvedenko
01-16-2008, 03:57 PM
I agree Peewee...organized religion is all BS....not disagreeing with you at all. I was raised Roman Catholic, however I don't believe I ever gave any money and if I wanted to learn more about their way I could step in any church and listen.

peewee's lovechild
01-16-2008, 03:59 PM
300 years ago? The Crusades were all but over by the 1,600s if that is what you are referring to. And they were basically a religious war between Muslims and Christians. Somewhat out of context don't you think?

And as for smearing your reputation, that IS petty. I would hope you would think a plot to ruin your career or kill you would be considered more than petty.

What the hell are you talking about??

The tithe was a Crusade thing??

Moron, there are still Christian Churches that REQUIRE the tithe!!! That isn't something that died 300 years ago. There are countries that tax you to sustain the state church!!

Medvedenko
01-16-2008, 04:00 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWUasKX3FZE

Here's the head of Scientology Miscavige interviwed by ABC news....he came on the in rebuttal to a time magazine article and cover page hammering the religion. It's a fascinating piece from 1991.

peewee's lovechild
01-16-2008, 04:01 PM
I agree Peewee...organized religion is all BS....not disagreeing with you at all. I was raised Roman Catholic, however I don't believe I ever gave any money and if I wanted to learn more about their way I could step in any church and listen.

You may not have, but millions of others have and still do.

Medvedenko
01-16-2008, 04:01 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWUasKX3FZE

Here's the head of Scientology Miscavige interviwed by ABC news....he came on the show in rebuttal to a time magazine article and cover page hammering the religion. It's a fascinating piece from 1991.

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-16-2008, 04:02 PM

The tithe was a Crusade thing??

Moron, there are still Christian Churches that REQUIRE the tithe!!! That isn't something that died 300 years ago. There are countries that tax you to sustain the state church!!

Can you not remember two posts back?

Here...let me help you....

What were you talking about? Getting killed for not putting your money in the basket??

Sometimes I think you spout just to spout.

peewee's lovechild
01-16-2008, 04:06 PM
Can you not remember two posts back?

Here...let me help you....

What were you talking about? Getting killed for not putting your money in the basket??

Sometimes I think you spout just to spout.

Getting killed for leaving the church.

Getting killed for saying that the Earth revolves around the sun.
Getting killed for using herbs to cure diseases, being called a witch for doing so and burned on the stake.
Getting killed for being Jewish.

Getting killed for being Jewish, converting, and not changing your name.
Getting killed because your were of a rival family aiming to be the next Pope in line.

Need anymore examples?

However, my point was on paying the tithe.
And, what you quoted was me talking about the tithe.

So, I know what I was talking about.
You, however, just don't know how to quote appropriatly or know what context the conversation is carrying.

atxrocker
01-16-2008, 04:08 PM
alright! another religion thread. awesome. where do i give my money? :rolleyes

2centsworth
01-16-2008, 04:13 PM
alright! another religion thread. awesome. where do i give my money? :rolleyes
it started as a make fun of Tom Cruise thread. However, the intolerant non-religious people always want to turn it into an attack on all religions.

What's funny is that guys like Kermit are made to look ridiculous. It's ok with me if you're an athiest and you want to enter a religious debate. However, most of the athiest usually just make stuff up and it's funny.

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-16-2008, 04:19 PM
Getting killed for leaving the church.

Getting killed for saying that the Earth revolves around the sun.
Getting killed for using herbs to cure diseases, being called a witch for doing so and burned on the stake.
Getting killed for being Jewish.

Getting killed for being Jewish, converting, and not changing your name.
Getting killed because your were of a rival family aiming to be the next Pope in line.

Need anymore examples?

However, my point was on paying the tithe.
And, what you quoted was me talking about the tithe.

So, I know what I was talking about.
You, however, just don't know how to quote appropriatly or know what context the conversation is carrying.

I never talked about tithing. I was just interested in why the Church would kill you 300 years ago. I figured you were referring to the Crusades.

Interesting though that for your comparison of Scientology to other organized religion you're looking back 300 years to stuff that may or may not be accurate.

I would have expected a little better argument out of you. Oh wait, I wouldn't.

Phenomanul
01-16-2008, 05:11 PM
Do you even realize the billions upon billions that the Catholic Church has??
Fuck, they even own their own country!!!

The catholic church isn't the only "christian" belief that has gained riches off of thier believer, though. It's all a money making business.

So, you have a problem with Scientology making you pay your way to "enlightenment". What of having to pay your way to heaven, or paying to ensure the safety of your soul?

Scientology is just like any other religion.

The tithe is an act of obedience. But as far as the tithe being used as a payment for entry into heaven, that is simply not true.

That payment has already been made "once and forever" by Jesus in order to obtain our "eternal redemption". Hebrews 10:10-15

DarkReign
01-16-2008, 05:14 PM

Crusades? huh?

I think he meant the Inquisition. Which didnt offcially end until the late 1800s. Thank you, Elizabeth!

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-16-2008, 05:44 PM
Crusades? huh?

I think he meant the Inquisition. Which didnt offcially end until the late 1800s. Thank you, Elizabeth!

I didn't know what he was talking about...that why I asked. I'm not really sure he knew either.

Soul_Patch
01-16-2008, 06:16 PM
Wow...i go away for a while and this thread turns sideways...

I have only met in my life ONE atheist who could really argue and backup his beliefs...the rest are just disgruntled catholics, most of the time, who feel disenfranchised by the routines and traditions of a million year old church...There is more to a relationship with God than kneel, sit, kneel, stand, etc etc...

i was that person at one point myself...but then i ask myself...why not believe? Were all of the gospels that were written over 100's of years by vastly different people all lies? Just a massively huge conspiracy to lie to the entire world that was played out over thousands of years...that really doesnt make a lot of sense does it?

There is no shame in putting faith in some thing or some one...

Stop feelnig threatened by those who DO have faith, and just be yourself...if you dont believe, great, but why the attack on the people who do?

Sunshine
01-16-2008, 06:19 PM
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p132/margarita_hour/Thread20Hijacked.jpg

thispego
01-16-2008, 06:26 PM
i was that person at one point myself...but then i ask myself...why not believe? Were all of the gospels that were written over 100's of years by vastly different people all lies? Just a massively huge conspiracy to lie to the entire world that was played out over thousands of years...that really doesnt make a lot of sense does it?
doesn't it?

MaNuMaNiAc
01-16-2008, 06:28 PM
As far as I'm concerned Scientology is just one more bullshit in a long line of bullshit ideologies. I just find it hilarious when Catholics call Scientology bullshit.

atxrocker
01-16-2008, 06:45 PM
As far as I'm concerned Scientology is just one more bullshit in a long line of bullshit ideologies. I just find it hilarious when Catholics call Scientology bullshit.

that'll cost you 20 our fathers and 20 hail marys. oh, and don't forget to contribute 30% of your income either you little bastard if you want to be a good, obedient follower.

peewee's lovechild
01-16-2008, 07:51 PM
I never talked about tithing.

No, but you did quote me on it.
So, it appears you just didn't know what you were talking about or you're just the kind of moron that doesn't know how to quote.

I'm interested as to wich of the two you are.

Interesting though that for your comparison of Scientology to other organized religion you're looking back 300 years to stuff that may or may not be accurate.

I would have expected a little better argument out of you. Oh wait, I wouldn't.

Okay, for the retards:

Modern religions, and those who follow them, calling out Scientology for some of the things they do and believe in after having a similar past is like the teapot calling the kettle black.

Need more explaining?

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-16-2008, 08:43 PM
Scientology is not a "religion", it's a cult and a pyramid scam combined. You get brainwashed, blackmailed if you speak out, and you have to pay to advance in the "faith". Dangerous shit for weak and vulnerable people.

DieMrBond
01-16-2008, 11:01 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L._Ron_Hubbard

L. Ron Hubbard's philosophy, Scientology, and the Church of Scientology that he founded are controversial. Some documents written by Hubbard himself suggest he regarded Scientology as a business, not a religion. In one letter dated April 10, 1953, he says calling Scientology a religion solves "a problem of practical business," and status as a religion achieves something "more equitable...with what we've got to sell." In a 1962 official policy letter, he said "Scientology 1970 is being planned on a religious organization basis throughout the world. This will not upset in any way the usual activities of any organization. It is entirely a matter for accountants and solicitors."[75] A Reader's Digest article of May 1980 quoted Hubbard as saying in the 1940s "Writing for a penny a word is ridiculous. If a man really wants to make a million dollars, the best way would be to start his own religion."[76]

According to The Visual Encyclopedia of Science Fiction, ed. Brian Ash, Harmony Books, 1977: "... [Hubbard] began making statements to the effect that any writer who really wished to make money should stop writing and develop [a] religion, or devise a new psychiatric method. Harlan Ellison's version (Time Out, UK, No 332) is that Hubbard is reputed to have told [John W.] Campbell, 'I'm going to invent a religion that's going to make me a fortune. I'm tired of writing for a penny a word.' Sam Moskowitz, a chronicler of science fiction, has reported that he himself heard Hubbard make a similar statement, but there is no first-hand evidence." Though Hubbard himself was also quoted driving his people toward financial results. For example, in one of his bulletins to officials Hubbard implored:

"Make money. Make more money. Make others produce so as to make money . . . However you get them in or why, just do it." and "Make sure that lots of bodies move through the shop,"

– L. Ron Hubbard

phyzik
01-17-2008, 12:12 AM
Tom is definately bat shit crazy and scientology is a cult. No debating.

However, all other organized religion is just as full of shit.

Im not saying I dont believe in a God, my relationship with a higher being is personal, I dont need a story book or structured orginization to tell me whats right and whats wrong in life.

atxrocker
01-17-2008, 12:24 AM
how has a religion thread gone almost 4 pages without a cry havoc post?

TDMVPDPOY
01-17-2008, 12:32 AM
you want the truth?

you cant handle the truth

Cry Havoc
01-17-2008, 01:36 AM
how has a religion thread gone almost 4 pages without a cry havoc post?

Scientology makes me giggle. :music

Capt Bringdown
01-17-2008, 02:18 AM
Ridiculing a man's religious beliefs?
Downright unamerican I say.

whottt
01-17-2008, 02:29 AM
IT's funny that this turned into Catholicism vs Scientology...

Tom Cruise was once a Franciscan Seminary student.

I don't think it's a big deal until people get fantatical about it, and start thinking they're better than everyone else, which a lot of people do...just like a lot of them do with religion.

That's more revealing about those people themselves than it is about the actual relgions...usually. That need to be better than everyone else...makes you wonder what makes them feel so bad to drive them to need to feel better...at that fanatical level.

IMO, it's usually some kind of hang up/obsessions they have that it is not socially acceptable, and I think they have hard a time believing other people don't share that hang up...thus they seek enlightenment/cure and they think they have found a way to be saved and can then save everyone else.

I read Dianetics years ago knowing of that quote by L. Ron Hubbard that DieMrBond posted, only I always thought he said if a man wanted to be truly immortal, he'd found his own religion...

I read Dianetics after reading Battlefield Earth(which was a much better book than movie), probably in the early to mid 80's...

I never really saw it as a competitor to the established religions when I read it, nor did it really bill itself as one IMO...more like a self help book. It's kind of funny what it's turned into since then...I remember reading it around the same time I read another book called PsychoCybernetics, which was similar.

I have a friend that is a Scientologist and she got me to try it out a couple of years ago...

It is funny...they do ask you if there's anything you wouldn't want anyone to know about you :lmao. I wouldn't have a hard time believing they do blackmail...

Anyway, it was kind of a strange experience but I don't see what the big deal about it is. I could see it being kind of helpful...because people get to talk about stuff, it's also really similar to basic hypnosis...only it doesn't really do as much. This girl I know has been doing it for years...and she's not robotic, she is a freaking wildchild :lol.

The thing I noticed when I tried it is that is that most of them were snooty know it all douchebags...especially the higher ups. They wear these damn Blazers with these crests on them and carry little pocket dictionaries around with them in case they see a word they don't know(seriously).

Someday some asshole will probably try and use Scientology to murder millions of people...but it will probably be a long time from now.

As for Tom Cruise? He probably does have some kind of deviant obsession...and he's got a huge ego....but I doubt he's been brainwashed or anything like that.

mikejones99
01-17-2008, 04:23 AM
doing most damage to world, single mothers > religous nuts

travis2
01-17-2008, 07:30 AM

In other words, you don't know what the fuck you are talking about and are just spewing your bigotry.

travis2
01-17-2008, 07:30 AM
I'm sure everyone would love to make this a theology debate where I hate all religions. Just prove to me that they're not as make-believe as Scientology.

You made the assertion. YOU prove YOUR point.

travis2
01-17-2008, 07:33 AM
Crusades? huh?

Thank Elizabeth for what?

travis2
01-17-2008, 07:38 AM

I find it hilarious people who obviously don't know the first thing about the Catholic Church try to compare them to some cult.

mrsmaalox
01-17-2008, 08:50 AM
doing most damage to world, single mothers > religous nuts

Did you really mean to say that?

mrsmaalox
01-17-2008, 09:19 AM
Here's an excerpt from Morton's book:

http://beta.bordersstores.com/online/store/ArticleView_tomcruise

SpursWoman
01-17-2008, 10:16 AM
Did you really mean to say that?

Yes, he did. Trust me, ignore is your best option here. :spin

mikejones99
01-17-2008, 12:33 PM
actually religous nuts tend to recruit single moms due to their weekness so these two groups are very much related. most women just hate the truth that you cannot due both work and have kids, you must pick one or the other. Spurwoman with a genius in her picture is a good one.

mrsmaalox
01-17-2008, 12:37 PM
Yes, he did. Trust me, ignore is your best option here. :spin

I am taking your word for it!

SpursWoman
01-17-2008, 12:38 PM
I'm neither single or a religious nut, but thanks. :lol

Medvedenko
01-17-2008, 01:11 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ly-hTPNRlWU&eurl=http://www.wwtdd.com/

More fun....

DarkReign
01-17-2008, 01:19 PM
Thank Elizabeth for what?

Elizabeth I of Spain.

EDITED: Goddamnit, I always screw those 2 up. Thank you Civ4...

I meant to say Isabella. My bad.

boutons_
01-17-2008, 01:56 PM
CSI has lots of lawyers all over the world and lots $Ms to pay them to file harassment suits:

http://gawker.com/5002319/church-of-scientology-claims-copyright-infringement

Nbadan
01-18-2008, 02:03 AM
Fight censorship:

The Tom Cruise Indoctrination Video (http://defamer.com/344987/the-tom-cruise-indoctrination-video-scientologists-dont-want-you-to-see)

Borosai
01-18-2008, 08:38 AM
Good peoples.

Soul_Patch
01-18-2008, 08:52 AM
Whoa...holy shit these guys are scary

pPol_m8wm8Y