PDA

View Full Version : There Will Be Blood

Amuseddaysleeper
01-17-2008, 11:10 PM
...best picture of the year (yes, even better than No Country For Old Men)

I did think the final 20 minutes trailed off slightly and seemed somewhat rushed, but the scope and magnitude of PT Anderson's film blows away anything else he's done to date.

Also, DD Lewis deserves his 2nd oscar, even if his character was highly derivative of Bill the Butcher from Gangs of New York.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-17-2008, 11:16 PM
delete this thread, my bad

exstatic
01-17-2008, 11:27 PM
Are you fucking retarded, or just pulling our leg? You even capitalized the same words in your title.

pussyface
01-18-2008, 12:29 AM
...other thread has gone to shit. i like this here discussion.

the second best movie of '07 in my estimation was "eastern promises" rather than "no country." both were on the edge of your seat/suspenseful tip, and I enjoyed the ride even a little more with the former.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-18-2008, 12:33 AM
See, I didn't mind "Eastern Promises" but Cronenberg was once a director who used to make these incredible thought provoking films way back (Naked Lunch, Videodrome) and now he's making these weird drama/action movies.

But then again, the guy has paid his dues, and if he wants to get paid with these infinitely more accessible films, more power to him, I am just surprised that this is the same guy who made the films I listed above.

Having said that, I'd still take "History of Violence" over "Eastern Promises" but EP was def. a good film.

atxrocker
01-18-2008, 12:35 AM
the ending of a history of violence fucks it up for me.

pussyface
01-18-2008, 12:48 AM
See, I didn't mind "Eastern Promises" but Cronenberg was once a director who used to make these incredible thought provoking films way back (Naked Lunch, Videodrome) and now he's making these weird drama/action movies.

But then again, the guy has paid his dues, and if he wants to get paid with these infinitely more accessible films, more power to him, I am just surprised that this is the same guy who made the films I listed above.

Having said that, I'd still take "History of Violence" over "Eastern Promises" but EP was def. a good film.

cant say its high art, but i think Eastern Promises is amazing on a gut level in terms of being suspensful like few movies i've ever seen. since its merits are so tied to suspense, it doesn't hold up great to repeat viewings because the tension is not the same. thats why i'll pick 'there will be blood' as tops.

leemajors
01-18-2008, 10:39 AM
paging mono!