PDA

View Full Version : Notebook: Parker elbowed in the eye, but heel biggest worry

timvp
01-18-2008, 05:04 AM
Notebook: Parker elbowed in the eye, but heel biggest worry
Mike Monroe
Express-News

Tony Parker had a shiner around his left eye Thursday night, a souvenir from a game against the Cleveland Cavaliers at the AT&T Center that got rough in a tense second half.

"I was trying to go hard to the basket," he said of the play that brought his eye in contact with Larry Hughes' elbow. "It didn't go my way tonight. Sometimes that happens."

The black eye will disappear soon enough.

It's that bone spur in his left heel that is starting to worry him. Going hard to the basket is what made Parker the MVP of the 2007 NBA Finals, and those drives haven't been going his way as often since the injury first surfaced after the Nov. 30 game at Minnesota.

Parker danced around questions about his health after the Cavs won 90-88 Thursday.

"We've been talking about that for a long time," he said. "There's nothing new. I just have to get some treatments and get some rest. Hopefully it will go away."

Asked a second time if he was all right, Parker paused a few seconds before answering.

"I'm playing," he said. "I've got no excuse. I'm just playing."

Parker wasn't the only Spur sporting a contusion after the game. Fabricio Oberto had a nasty red bruise in the middle of his chest where LeBron James had head-butted him on a drive to the basket that produced the Cavs' winning basket.

Angry fans: Arena security officials scrambled to try and identify a fan who threw a shirt at referees Mark Wunderlich, Mark Davis and Ed Malloy as they exited the court.

Spurs fans didn't like the way the game was called. Neither did Tim Duncan, who lingered for a while after the final buzzer to let the referees know how he felt.

"Yeah," Duncan said. "They had a bad night."

Bruce Bowen steered Duncan away from the refs to ensure a confrontation wouldn't ensue.

Barry returns: Brent Barry played for the first time in nine games and missed first four shots, all 3-point attempts. He made two key threes in the second half and said the torn muscle in his left calf seemed to be completely healed.

"The first shot was a little excited, but I felt fine," he said. "Missed a couple open ones and made a couple. But I felt fine.

"It feels good to be back. I've just got to work my back into better shape."

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA011808.11D.BKNspurs.notebook.2f711fb.html

timvp
01-18-2008, 05:06 AM
It's that bone spur in his left heel that is starting to worry him. Going hard to the basket is what made Parker the MVP of the 2007 NBA Finals, and those drives haven't been going his way as often since the injury first surfaced after the Nov. 30 game at Minnesota.This doesn't sound too promising. Parker hasn't looked right for a while. Hopefully this isn't a lingering injury or else the Spurs could be in trouble.

For the Spurs to be championship caliber, Parker has to play well. If he plays like he's playing now during the playoffs, it's going to be a long offseason.

Pistons_In_7
01-18-2008, 05:14 AM
You know if the Spurs want to ditch Parker and get a real point guard, the Pistons would love to Bundle up Murray with Brezec and send him your way :)

Bruno
01-18-2008, 05:52 AM
Damn, it really sucks.
I don't know the extent of Parker's injury but it could end up with a season ending surgery.

Kobulingam
01-18-2008, 06:11 AM
Sounds like what Ray Allen had. Ended up getting surgery (after playing like crap with the bone spur).

ancestron
01-18-2008, 10:25 AM
I'm usually not one to complain about officiating, but last nights game was one of the most poorly officiated games I've seen. When 2 guys have visible injuries from fouls that were not called, thats straight up BS.
Pardon my french, but I really hate that shit.

loveforthegame
01-18-2008, 10:42 AM
Not good to read about Parker. I thought there was a recent article where he said he was healthy and the heal wasn't bothering him?

ducks
01-18-2008, 10:56 AM
FUCK
rest tp and get him well
sit him tell allstar break

duncan228
01-18-2008, 10:57 AM
I'm glad we know.
We don't have to wonder why he hasn't been playing well.

The Spurs keep things under wraps, we didn't know about Duncan's Planter Fasciitis for a few months into the '05-'06 season.

I hope it's not serious and he can get rid of it. Nagging injuries the rest of the way will be hard to deal with.

Does anyone know why Duncan's wrist/thumb was wrapped last night? I hope that was proactive and there's not something brewing there too.

thispego
01-18-2008, 11:02 AM
I'll say it again: IF PARKER EVER CHOSES TO PLAY FOR HIS NATIONAL TEAM IN THE OFFSEASON AGAIN DURING THE MIDDLE OF OUR FUCKING DYNASTY WE NEED TO CUT/TRADE HIS ASS IMMEDIATELY. NO QUESTIONS ASKED.

Southwest Texas Fan
01-18-2008, 11:03 AM
My wife's uncle who a heal spur and is taking medication to help dissolve it. Maybe those are the treatments he mentioned. I also have a heal spur which bothers me on occasion and a co-worker had surgery and was out two to three weeks, of course she does not play any competitive sports. Playing on it is not helping and I don't know if the treatments would work without adequate rest.

dbreiden83080
01-18-2008, 11:04 AM
Geez this is not GOOD, injuries are killing the Spurs this year. They may have to just go most of this year not right, win about 50 games and hopefully be 100% for the playoffs and make a run at the title. If this keeps up i don't see how they have any shot at a good seeding.

m33p0
01-18-2008, 11:08 AM
I'll say it again: IF PARKER EVER CHOSES TO PLAY FOR HIS NATIONAL TEAM IN THE OFFSEASON AGAIN DURING THE MIDDLE OF OUR FUCKING DYNASTY WE NEED TO CUT/TRADE HIS ASS IMMEDIATELY. NO QUESTIONS ASKED.
i second that. :ihit

Kori Ellis
01-18-2008, 11:10 AM
i second that. :ihit

Isn't Manu playing for his national team soon?

Are you guys just upset with Parker or do you want to cut anyone who plays for their national team? :lol

Sweetey
01-18-2008, 11:13 AM
I have to agree with this. But I still feel he's got personal problems that are affecting home more than his left foot. He needs to be benched until he gets his act together. He is pulling down the team.

tinysands
01-18-2008, 11:15 AM
That's a bad news.

The AP reports: Seattle SuperSonics' All-Star guard Ray Allen will miss the rest of the regular season after deciding to undergo surgery for bone spurs in his left ankle.

Allen did this surgery last March and miss the rest of the regular season. It took him exactly 4 months to be 100% healthy.

Just hope Parker's injury is not that serious.

thispego
01-18-2008, 11:22 AM

Are you guys just upset with Parker or do you want to cut anyone who plays for their national team? :lol
cut anyone who isn't serious about winning as many championships as possible during our dynasty. If manu or parker are concerned about personal and national glory then they can go play full time in Argentina or France.

Kori Ellis
01-18-2008, 11:25 AM
I have to agree with this. But I still feel he's got personal problems that are affecting home more than his left foot.

:lmao

You better know him personally to say something like that. That's ridiculous. How would you possible be able to weigh his so-called personal problems against his health? Did you examine his heel?

thispego
01-18-2008, 11:27 AM
yeah i don't know where sweetey is getting that. is she another person who gave the parker-longoria marriage no more than 6 months?

ClingingMars
01-18-2008, 11:39 AM
Classy Spurs Fans!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :toast

the referees were fucked up. shut the fuck up.

-Mars

mbass
01-18-2008, 11:42 AM

At least the fans don't throw glass bottles like some other fans.

1Parker1
01-18-2008, 11:56 AM
If Parker doesn't get healthy...even 95% and continues to play at the level he's been at, Spurs won't repeat :(

BonnerDynasty
01-18-2008, 12:00 PM
The Spurs are fucking champions. Don't bitch about the refs one night, and then not say anything when they give your team the "right" calls another night :read:

It's the system not just one game. Refs' calls are so inconsistent they don't know how to call games like these when they don't have any consistency in calls from the start.

Refs have so much pull on the outcome of games it is sick. All this bullshit about giving the all-stars more room to be more "physical" and then call something on the next play to even out the missed call before. Jesus Christ.

ploto
01-18-2008, 12:03 PM
Spurs fans didn't like the way the game was called. Neither did Tim Duncan, who lingered for a while after the final buzzer to let the referees know how he felt... Bruce Bowen steered Duncan away from the refs to ensure a confrontation wouldn't ensue.

I saw this and wondered if there could be some problems for TD for not leaving the court after the game in a timely manner.

Que Gee
01-18-2008, 12:05 PM
This doesn't sound too promising. Parker hasn't looked right for a while. Hopefully this isn't a lingering injury or else the Spurs could be in trouble.

For the Spurs to be championship caliber, Parker has to play well. If he plays like he's playing now during the playoffs, it's going to be a long offseason.

I think even more disturbing is that Parker has looked like he has been sleep walking for over a month now. There is no enthusiasm, no excitment or emotion be shown be him at all. In the bigger picture the whole team is sleepwalking. They are going to have to make a move. And they are going to have to get a backup PG.

spurs_fan_in_exile
01-18-2008, 12:11 PM
A star player with lingering foot problems? This writers' strike is reaching even further than I thought. Even the Spurs' storylines are being reduced to reruns.

No team wins without a little luck from the health gods, and right now they are not on the Spurs side. For all the talk about being too old, the biggest health concern is now with their young talent.

MoSpur
01-18-2008, 12:29 PM
Parker hasn't looked right for a long time now. I hope its an injury and I hope it gets taken care of.

picnroll
01-18-2008, 12:50 PM
Bone spurs an indicator of ankle athritis and a symptom of GD national team play with lack of time for rest and recovery. Screw national team play. Now Parker and the Spurs will pay the price for this bullshit.

howbouthemspurs
01-18-2008, 03:24 PM
THOSE refs suck so much crusty asshole knots that I hope one of them chokes on them and then pukes on the other two refs with all the bullshit that they took down that day!

bdictjames
01-18-2008, 03:45 PM
Teams are making sure we're not going to the postseason healthy.

Budkin
01-18-2008, 03:48 PM
THOSE refs suck so much crusty asshole knots that I hope one of them chokes on them and then pukes on the other two refs with all the bullshit that they took down that day!

Karma will take care of it.

ducks
01-18-2008, 03:49 PM
it is hard to get excited playing basketball when you are hurt
if tp is not excited the hole team does not seem excited. Is tp the leader of this team?

I am sure if it was playoff tiem tp would be geared up more

FromWayDowntown
01-18-2008, 04:01 PM

Not only was that authentic frontier gibberish, but it expressed a courage little seen in this day and age.

:)

Que Gee
01-18-2008, 04:27 PM
If anyone's been paying attention, you'd be able to see there is a lot more going on in this team's make up, than Tony's "heal."

Spurminator
01-18-2008, 04:33 PM
He'll heal the heel soon enough.

Southwest Texas Fan
01-18-2008, 04:43 PM
If anyone's been paying attention, you'd be able to see there is a lot more going on in this team's make up, than Tony's "heal."

Would you like to elaborate.

duncan228
01-18-2008, 04:58 PM
Is tp the leader of this team?

I don't think so.

SpurOutofTownFan
01-18-2008, 05:02 PM

You could have watched the game instead.

SpurOutofTownFan
01-18-2008, 05:03 PM
I think even more disturbing is that Parker has looked like he has been sleep walking for over a month now. There is no enthusiasm, no excitment or emotion be shown be him at all. In the bigger picture the whole team is sleepwalking. They are going to have to make a move. And they are going to have to get a backup PG.

The whole marriage thing and the tabloids.

SpurOutofTownFan
01-18-2008, 05:04 PM

Manu will play in the Olympics in China, yes.

spurster
01-18-2008, 05:04 PM
The refs had to watch the Spurs in the second quarter, so the non-calls were payback.

spurster
01-18-2008, 05:09 PM
I saw this and wondered if there could be some problems for TD for not leaving the court after the game in a timely manner.
TD was apologizing to the refs for how the Spurs played in the second quarter.

"I'm sorry, sir, that we forced you to watch that."

Please_dont_ban_me
01-18-2008, 05:45 PM
Bruce Bowen steered Duncan away from the refs to ensure a confrontation wouldn't ensue.

That made me chuckle.

Sweetey
01-18-2008, 05:51 PM
:lmao

You better know him personally to say something like that. That's ridiculous. How would you possible be able to weigh his so-called personal problems against his health? Did you examine his heel?
I don't need to examine his heel. Tony has NOT looked like he has his head in the game at all. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that. I do not believe the "heel problem" is his only problem. He has not played worth a shit this entire season and after the "alleged" affair crap was publicized, his game really went to hell. I have no idea what went down with that crap and don't care, but he obviously has a whole lot more on his mind during the games than winning the game. And that is NOT the Tony Parker of seasons past.

bonesinaz
01-18-2008, 05:54 PM
This is less of an indication of ankle arthritis than it is of plantar fasciitis. He needs rest.

Kori Ellis
01-18-2008, 05:56 PM
I don't need to examine his heel. Tony has NOT looked like he has his head in the game at all. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that. I do not believe the "heel problem" is his only problem. He has not played worth a shit this entire season and after the "alleged" affair crap was publicized, his game really went to hell. I have no idea what went down with that crap and don't care, but he obviously has a whole lot more on his mind during the games than winning the game. And that is NOT the Tony Parker of seasons past.

:rolleyes

Whatever, you are acting like a tabloid queen. You said his off the court problems were MORE of a problem than his heel. To know that, you'd need to examine his heel. Maybe if his head isn't in the game, it's because he's in constant pain. :dizzy

Sweetey
01-18-2008, 06:03 PM
:rolleyes

Whatever, you are acting like a tabloid queen. You said his off the court problems were MORE of a problem than his heel. To know that, you'd need to examine his heel. Maybe if his head isn't in the game, it's because he's in constant pain. :dizzy
I sincerely hope that Tony would not continue playing in "constant pain" and that Coach Pop wouldn't let him.

Where is your link that he is playing in "constant pain?"

diego
01-18-2008, 06:06 PM
i agree that if tony has a lingering foot injury, he should rest untill it properly heals. we're better off a healthy 8th seed, than a banged up 3rd seed.

is this really the only information we have about this? didnt tony say a week ago that he was 100%?

Kori Ellis
01-18-2008, 06:06 PM
I sincerely hope that Tony would not continue playing in "constant pain" and that Coach Pop wouldn't let him.

Where is your link that he is playing in "constant pain?"

I don't have a link. I just know that bone spurs in your heel cause pretty constant pain when you are running. I'm sure it's not pain that is unbearable all the time (otherwise he'd sit out), but I'm sure he's always aware of it. Just like Tim was with his plantar fasciitis.

Sweetey
01-18-2008, 06:14 PM
I don't have a link. I just know that bone spurs in your heel cause pretty constant pain when you are running. I'm sure it's not pain that is unbearable all the time (otherwise he'd sit out), but I'm sure he's always aware of it. Just like Tim was with his plantar fasciitis.
I believe you. I just hope that Pop will let him sit out right now and heal up if that is his problem. He needs to be healthy for the playoffs and playing in pain right now just doesn't seem appropriate. Is is possible that playing with that type of heel problem would still allow the problem to heal or will it hurt it even more?

Kori Ellis
01-18-2008, 06:19 PM
I believe you. I just hope that Pop will let him sit out right now and heal up if that is his problem. He needs to be healthy for the playoffs and playing in pain right now just doesn't seem appropriate. Is is possible that playing with that type of heel problem would still allow the problem to heal or will it hurt it even more?

I'm not sure. I'm guessing it depends how bad it is. Some guys have surgery for bone spurs. Other guys play through it and it eventually heals up. Hopefully Tony can get medication, shock treatment or whatever they can do. I don't know that much about the treatment.

timvp
01-18-2008, 06:22 PM
There's some posters who are going a bit overboard regarding Parker. Sure, he's had a rough stretch but on a whole his stats are better than ever. Career-highs in points, career-high assists and career-high in assist-to-turnover ratio. The only thing that's down is his field goal percentage ... but a lot of point guards would kill to be able to shoot 49%+ from the field.

He was playing great for a stretch this season and as long as this injury doesn't hinder him, there's no reason why he can't get back to that level. Even with the injury, there are times where I see his regular explosion, so hopefully that is a good sign.

It's fine to worry about this injury but to insinuate that Parker has played like trash all season is just inaccurate.

Joe Schmoogins
01-18-2008, 06:24 PM

lol that's hilarious

Bruno
01-18-2008, 06:49 PM
What I didn't like about Parker's injury is that, more than one month and a half after, he still isn't healthy and he isn't optimistic about a fast recovery.
I have no idea of what exactly happens but it doesn't sound good.

timmy21_4rings
01-18-2008, 07:16 PM
this is what i do not understand...manu played thru injury, parker is playing thru injury and tim is playing 40 minutes against cavs & chasing refs after the buzzer, still many fans and sports writers are saying that Spurs are taking it easy, Spurs do not mind losing regular season games and they do not care about regular season records..These are not really signs of taking it easy..

temujin
01-18-2008, 07:33 PM
What I didn't like about Parker's injury is that, more than one month and a half after, he still isn't healthy and he isn't optimistic about a fast recovery.
I have no idea of what exactly happens but it doesn't sound good.

It doesn't. Deki Stankovic (Soccer) has had that since September, and he just showed up the other week.

SuperManu!!!
01-18-2008, 07:53 PM
Lebroom tried to make the zinedine zidane on oberto :p

baseline bum
01-18-2008, 08:38 PM
That made me chuckle.

Was it like Paul Pressey holding back Pop back in the day?

BonnerDynasty
01-18-2008, 09:19 PM
this is what i do not understand...manu played thru injury, parker is playing thru injury and tim is playing 40 minutes against cavs & chasing refs after the buzzer, still many fans and sports writers are saying that Spurs are taking it easy, Spurs do not mind losing regular season games and they do not care about regular season records..These are not really signs of taking it easy..

Good point.

. we're better off a healthy 8th seed, than a banged up 3rd seed.

QFT

bigfundamental21
01-18-2008, 10:04 PM
If we do end up resting Parker for some games, who do you think the Spurs will call up from the D-League? Darius Washington is no longer available as he is playing in Europe now. Anyone got any ideas?

telecomguy
01-18-2008, 11:25 PM
it is hard to get excited playing basketball when you are hurt
if tp is not excited the hole team does not seem excited. Is tp the leader of this team?

I am sure if it was playoff tiem tp would be geared up more

I have a bit of a problem with this supposed injury issue. First of all, i think if it was really a serious injury, Pop would have sat TP out longer, and even now.

Secondly, I don't see TP losing any speed when he cuts to the rim and attacking. He still has the same acceleration, leaping ability and finishing.

Thirdly, i don't understand why a slight heel issue (I say slight for above reasons) should affect his (1) inability to hit wide-open uncontested jumpers, (2) foul shots

Lastly, i don't know how his injury causes him to make poor decisions, get stripped time and time again, make poor passes, and generally lack the court vision/management that most good PG should be capable.

I know I am blamed for being a harsh critic of TP and I may overdo it time to time but i am tired of all these excuses for his poor play. The reality is that TP is still a very one-dimensional player and even though he has tried to work on other aspects of his PG game, I haven't seen much progress beyond few games here and there. What I see is TP dribbling the ball up the court mostly trying to find the seam to penetrate and score and if it's not there, he generally either dribbles around wasting time or just dumps it to Manu or Finley without attempting to create and basically becomes a non-relevant player from then on. If you watch a good PG, you can see how they create mismatches, and find open/cutting guys with precise passes and good court vision.

The reality is that TP had a couple of good playoff series last year for the first time and I believe that had everyone immediately thinking that TP had become some sort of a dominant, top tier, top 5 PG. He has not. He has a great heart and determination and he may eventually learn all these other skills he lacks right now but the fact of the matter is right now, TP is still developing. Time and time again, when good defensive teams like Pistons, Cavs, Mavs,etc. focus on shutting down the paint and denying TP easy attacks to the rim, TP becomes a bit player in our offense because he really isn't able to control the game any other way other than attacking the rim due to aforementioned deficiencies.

TP is a good PG (well, not really...he is a good Scoring Guard) but he isn't a true star and certainly not one who can take the game over or control the match on a regular basis, especially against a good team. The sooner the Spurs understand this, the better it is because then the rest of the team wouldn't be standing around waiting for TP to dribble around aimlessly while waiting for a seam to open up.

One of the problems I saw develop over the past few years is that because TP was force-fed the ball and ordered to attack by Pop, the other players on the court generally didn't make big effort to actively cut or look for openings, knowing that TP is not probably going to find them or even if he sees them open, doesn't have the confidence to zip the passes to them in that split second when they are open.....so they tend to stand around more versus when Gino or even Barry has the ball. Especially troubling is that DUncan has also become more complacent as TP takes more and more shots every year to the point where TD only tries to assert himself when he sees that TP cant penetrate or find open man. The problem with this is that Spurs are already behind when TD tries to take over or become more aggressive. I have seen stats where it shows TD scoring substantially more points when SPurs LOSE...and analysts are always puzzled over that stat. The reason why that happens is that TD only tries to take over when TP and the rest of the Spurs are playing badly and fall behind.

I think that TP was asked by Pop to be more aggressive and attack and take lot of shots the past few years becuase Pop was trying to develop TP and build his confidence....in effect, create another star beside TD and Gino to give Pop a 3 headed "monster". Now that TP has learned to score and attack, I think it's about time Pop rein in TP and ask him to play more of a traditional PG role if he can develop the true PG skills that is required in almost every team that does not have Lebron, Kobe, or McGrady.

We have one of the best inside post player the game has ever seen (Duncan) and many nights, i see him just hanging around the perimeter watching TP do his thing (or not do his thing these days). Why are we not calling TD's play more often? Once the offensive team sees that TD is again being aggressive and forcing the issue by either scoring repeatedly inside the post or more importantly, getting all their Bigs into foul trouble, both individually or team wise, they are much more likely to double or triple team TD which should really open up the floor for the rest of the spurs....even TP. And we should be doing this at the BEGINNING of the game to establish and control the game, not later in the game when the game is out of control and the Spurs are trying to make a comeback, throwing TD with 4 small players in hopes of coming back. It's much easier to play suffocating defense when we have the lead, not when we are trying to outscore the opponent because we've fallen 10 pts behind before the half is over. I used to see Spurs get to the line and get lot of foul shots and have the other team in foul trouble when TD was aggressive and the initiator of the half-court offense. Now that he has become passive, mostly due to TP, we are going to the line less often. Duncan is a better inside scorer (especially against a good defensive team) and draws way more double teams than TP will ever do, so it makes sense to use him to try to break down the defense and give our 3 pt. shooters the open looks, rather than relying on TP to go one against 3 in the paint and force circus shots.

I know that in the playoffs, TD will reassert himself but i see a danger where each year TD is becoming less assertive as TP becomes more assertive. The point where TP takes way more shots on a consistent basis and has the ball 70% of the time is when this experiement of trying to develop TP and use TP's slashing abilities has gone TOO FAR. We need to go back to 4 down and let TD do his thing earlier and more often so that (1) TD doesn't disengage himself and (2) create easier openings for TP to find. If TP has the ball and is dribbling slowly around the perimeter looking for open lane, EVERYONE in the world knows he is only trying to do one thing....penetrate and score, and yes against half-crippled Hughes or rookie Gibson, TP can get away with that but against a healthy Cavs and Pistons? Not going to happen.

TP is ineffective because after his playoff MVP performance, the opposing teams are really really focusing on shutting him down and because he lacks the killer jumper like Nash or Billups or Cassell, they can just lay off him and have bigs waiting for him in the paint and dare him to try to score. This is not going to work consistently.

Ball movement, smart shot selection, and waiting for defense to collapse/double team TD is what makes Spurs offense super efficient and if you have to try to score one on one, TP can do it once in awhile but Gino is actually the better player to try penetrating because (1) he knows how to get fouled and (2) is far more clutch than TP.

So the way I see it, SPurs should rejig their offense so that TD takes the most shots, Gino next and TP the least out of the Big 3. And when I say TP should take the least, I don't mean he should take 50% less than TD but certainly he should not be taking more shots than TD consistently night after night because I believe this leads to a stagnant, one-dimensional, non-movement offense more often than not.

It's a long post but it's something i have been saying for awhile and something I had to get off my chest because the way TP and the Spurs are playing this year, we might not get a good seed going into the playoffs....and more importantly we may not have the proper balance of ball movement and shot distribution we are going to need to beat premier teams like Pistons, Celtics, Mavs (yes the Mavs) or even the Suns, Lakers, Jazz.

telecomguy
01-18-2008, 11:37 PM
Good point.

QFT

That's just pure stupidity to say that Spurs don't try until the playoffs. SPurs has been consistently one of the top teams in the REGULAR season for the past TEN years that Duncan has been on the team. No coach wants their team to COAST, and Pop is not goofing around, experimenting with rosters (otherwise he wouldn't pull players after 30 seconds when they make a bad mental mistake), nor losing purposely just to teach the players a lesson and make them listen to him. The reality is that Spurs do always try to win and compete, even on a regular season because seeding & home court advantage IS IMPORTANT, and more importantly, playing the right way and deveoping a winning attitude/tradition is even more important.

If SPurs players really buy that bullshit, then they will become like the Miami Heat or Lakers (when Shaq used to play for them) that believes they can coast and then turn it on in the playoffs. Not easy to do.

Spurs are not dominating right now because they don't necessarily have a dominant team and they are not playing smart right now. Yes they will ratchet up their intensity as the season draws near but let's not fall into the trap that they can all of a sudden turn into a super team every year in the playoffs even if the coast in the regular season. The reality is that the Mavs got upset, and Spurs escaped a very dangerous tough series against the Suns and so the Spurs COULD HAVE lost last year. Nothing is guaranteed and in pro sports, you build up through the season and develop good habits, good winning strategy and mental toughness/confidence to take you into the playoffs with a strong momentum.

Spurs are losing right now becuase they deserve to lose, not becuase players are coasting or because Pop has some silly ideas or is playing some sort of a head game.

Cant_Be_Faded
01-19-2008, 12:28 AM
So we are finally getting the ultimate bloading due to cherry picking all this great foreign talent. The catch 22---national league play. What a crock.

WTF is up with people intimating Tony playing bad this season?

He's still 3lit3 but he needs time off. Give him a month or something, who cares about our record....get back Darius and go Vaughn+Darius, old school 2002 Duncan offense, and let Duncan take his time and be lazy. I bet you all my 25 vbookies we at least stay .500 which is practically where we're at now as of late november..

Cant_Be_Faded
01-19-2008, 12:31 AM
Seriously, forgo the motion bull shit that has been producing turnovers and low scoring and lazy defense ever since injuries fawked us, go back to spurs team with no parker strategy, and feed duncan all game with barry and finley spotting up.

colargol
01-19-2008, 01:56 AM
There's some posters who are going a bit overboard regarding Parker.

It's fine to worry about this injury but to insinuate that Parker has played like trash all season is just inaccurate.

:clap :clap :clap

timvp
01-19-2008, 02:44 AM
Not sure if I should go through the trouble of reading these posts by telecommunication guy but here it goes . . .

I have a bit of a problem with this supposed injury issue. First of all, i think if it was really a serious injury, Pop would have sat TP out longer, and even now.When Parker came back, Pop said that Parker's ankle/heel was as healthy as it was going to get with rest. Much like Duncan's PF, just because he's back playing doesn't mean it's 100%.

Secondly, I don't see TP losing any speed when he cuts to the rim and attacking. He still has the same acceleration, leaping ability and finishing.:lmao

Have you watched a game in the last six weeks? He's shown some of his regular athletic ability but about 85% of the time he has been obviously slowed.

Lastly, i don't know how his injury causes him to make poor decisions, get stripped time and time again, make poor passes, and generally lack the court vision/management that most good PG should be capable.:wtf

Parker is averaging a career-high in assists and a career-high in assists-to-turnover ratio. He's had some sub par games recently but unless you haven't been watching this season you can't say his passing hasn't improved while he's doing a better job of taking care of the ball.

I know I am blamed for being a harsh critic of TP and I may overdo it time to time but i am tired of all these excuses for his poor play. The reality is that TP is still a very one-dimensional player and even though he has tried to work on other aspects of his PG game, I haven't seen much progress beyond few games here and there. What I see is TP dribbling the ball up the court mostly trying to find the seam to penetrate and score and if it's not there, he generally either dribbles around wasting time or just dumps it to Manu or Finley without attempting to create and basically becomes a non-relevant player from then on. If you watch a good PG, you can see how they create mismatches, and find open/cutting guys with precise passes and good court vision.Parker plays in a difference type of offense than the other point guards you are talking about. In the Spurs' motion offense, Parker is supposed to get rid of the ball right away if he doesn't have an immediate lane. That's been how the Spurs' halfcourt offense has been initiated for like eight years now.

Time and time again, when good defensive teams like Pistons, Cavs, Mavs,etc. focus on shutting down the paint and denying TP easy attacks to the rim, TP becomes a bit player in our offense because he really isn't able to control the game any other way other than attacking the rim due to aforementioned deficiencies.Like the Cavs? Did you watch the Finals?

And Parker has played well against the Pistons and Mavs over the years. But those are very good teams and everyone on both teams have struggled at one point or the either

I think that TP was asked by Pop to be more aggressive and attack and take lot of shots the past few years becuase Pop was trying to develop TP and build his confidence....in effect, create another star beside TD and Gino to give Pop a 3 headed "monster". Now that TP has learned to score and attack, I think it's about time Pop rein in TP and ask him to play more of a traditional PG role if he can develop the true PG skills that is required in almost every team that does not have Lebron, Kobe, or McGrady.Who was the last "true" point guard to win a championship? Billups was a shoot-first point guard who became a better passer but I wouldn't call him a "true" point guard. Before him? If you don't count AJ in '99, you probably have to go all the way back to Magic to find a team led by a pass-first point guard.

We have one of the best inside post player the game has ever seen (Duncan) and many nights, i see him just hanging around the perimeter watching TP do his thing (or not do his thing these days). Why are we not calling TD's play more often? Once the offensive team sees that TD is again being aggressive and forcing the issue by either scoring repeatedly inside the post or more importantly, getting all their Bigs into foul trouble, both individually or team wise, they are much more likely to double or triple team TD which should really open up the floor for the rest of the spurs....even TP. And we should be doing this at the BEGINNING of the game to establish and control the game, not later in the game when the game is out of control and the Spurs are trying to make a comeback, throwing TD with 4 small players in hopes of coming back. It's much easier to play suffocating defense when we have the lead, not when we are trying to outscore the opponent because we've fallen 10 pts behind before the half is over. I used to see Spurs get to the line and get lot of foul shots and have the other team in foul trouble when TD was aggressive and the initiator of the half-court offense. Now that he has become passive, mostly due to TP, we are going to the line less often. Duncan is a better inside scorer (especially against a good defensive team) and draws way more double teams than TP will ever do, so it makes sense to use him to try to break down the defense and give our 3 pt. shooters the open looks, rather than relying on TP to go one against 3 in the paint and force circus shots.If you've watched Spurs basketball over the years, you'd notice that the Spurs are led by TP and Manu during the regular season and then become more Duncan oriented in the playoffs. By doing that, you don't wear Duncan down in the regular season and he enters the playoffs fresh and ready to dominant. Going to Duncan early and often during the regular season makes no sense unless you want to win some sort of regular season championship and have Duncan tired by the beginning of April.

The bottomline is Parker was playing very well in November. He got hurt at the end of November and has been streaky ever since. Even when he's streaky, he's still pretty damn good. I see no reason to re-shuffle everything the Spurs do because Parker is having a relatively rough stretch. Even though Parker isn't able to finish as well as normal and his jumper has been inconsistent recently, he's still been effective.

I've been a harsh Parker critic over the last month to six weeks but that doesn't mean I want to junk what has gotten the Spurs to this point. Parker and Ginobili will shoulder most of the winning burden during the early and middle parts of the regular season. Duncan will start upping his involvement on both ends of the court in the latter parts of the season. Once the playoffs begin, the Spurs will have morphed back into be a Duncan centric team. As has been the case the last four or five years and will hopefully be the case this year.

The only worrisome things at the moment are Parker's ankle/heel, Manu's finger and Duncan's thumb. If one of those three players get injured and are slowed for the playoffs, the Spurs probably don't have a shot to repeat. Otherwise, if they're healthy, they'll have as good of a shot as anybody.

LBJ dunks on Duncan
01-19-2008, 03:08 AM
Enjoy your Early exit and the long offseason.

Budkin
01-19-2008, 03:14 AM
Enjoy your Early exit and the long offseason.

Enjoy utter disappointment and failure in everything you attempt in life. Thank you.

colargol
01-19-2008, 03:33 AM
Thanks Timvp......as a Spurs fan i'am always waiting for your post game thoughts...

Your Parker's role analys is as smart as it's possible
There's "ups and downs" during the regular season, when ups are fewer than downs true fans better trust on their team than ask for trades or burn players they used to please 6 months ago

bobbybob0
01-19-2008, 08:35 AM

He managed to get France disqualified for this summer Olympics so there's no concern for next season.

wildbill2u
01-19-2008, 03:25 PM
My wife's uncle who a heal spur and is taking medication to help dissolve it. Maybe those are the treatments he mentioned. I also have a heal spur which bothers me on occasion and a co-worker had surgery and was out two to three weeks, of course she does not play any competitive sports. Playing on it is not helping and I don't know if the treatments would work without adequate rest.
Heel spurs are one of the most painful things I've ever experienced. It is a calcium deposit on the bone that strikes against flesh and nerve endings when hit. It can actually prevent you from walking.

One treatment is with an anti-inflamatory to take the inflamation out. It works in a couple of days. I suppose a shot for pain would give immediate relief and allow you to play but runs the risk of additional bumps that just exacerbate the problem.

Operations to remove the spurs work, but usually they grow back and have to be repeated.

Whatever the treatment, it's not good for a guy who makes a living with his feet.