PDA

View Full Version : Ludden: Silenced by Stojakovic

Kori Ellis
01-03-2005, 01:40 AM
Silenced by Stojakovic: Star burns Spurs in Kings' win
Web Posted: 01/03/2005 12:00 AM CST

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA010305.1D.BKNspurs.kings.gamer.6c0549a5.html

SACRAMENTO, Calif. — Upset after Minnesota eliminated Sacramento in last season's Western Conference semifinals, Chris Webber vented more than a little criticism at a few unnamed teammates. Thinking he was among the few, Peja Stojakovic took exception and asked to be traded.

Four months later, Stojakovic and Webber appear to be getting along well enough. Which, for the Spurs on Sunday, was unfortunate.

Stojakovic scored 28 points and Webber played good defense on Tim Duncan in the final quarter as Sacramento handed the Spurs an 86-81 loss in front of a sellout crowd of 17,317 at Arco Arena.

"We just thought we didn't bring our best tonight," Duncan said. "It's easy to shrug this off and say we have this kind of record (25-7), but this is a game at the end of the season that we'll wish we had, along with a couple of others we've lost so far."

For the Kings, it was their first victory over a team with a winning record since Nov. 26. The loss ended the Spurs' five-game winning streak as well as their three-game trip along the West Coast. It resulted, in no small part, because the Spurs shot only 38.6 percent from the field and 50 percent from the foul line.

"If you can hold Sacramento to 86, that's tough to do," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "But our shooting and free-throw shooting really betrayed us tonight."

So did Stojakovic's shooting. He made six 3-pointers, matching his most this season, and repeatedly punished the Spurs for their mistakes, big or small.

Devin Brown slipped. Stojakovic drilled a 3-pointer. Bruce Bowen got caught behind a screen. Stojakovic drilled a 3-pointer. Manu Ginobili got lost. Stojakovic drilled a 3-pointer.

Tony Parker bobbled away the ball. Stojakovic drilled a 3-pointer.

For the most part, the Spurs — particularly Bowen — did a good job of trying to harass Stojakovic. Unfortunately for them, he wasn't easily flustered.

"I thought he took some off-balance shots and made them," Duncan said. "So once he got the wide-open ones, he wasn't missing them at all. It was just one of those nights where you run into a guy who's hot."

The same couldn't be said of Duncan, who had been battling a cold in recent days that had left him feeling a little tired. With the Kings often crowding him, Duncan missed 11 of 17 shots. More important, he went 2 of 8 in the final quarter.

Webber had something to do with that. He blocked Duncan's shot on back-to-back possessions, the second of which necessitated a jump ball. A couple of minutes later, he tied up Duncan again. Not once did Webber appear to jump an inch off the floor.

"It's a disappointing loss personally for myself because I played so badly," Duncan said. "I think I kind of dragged these guys into a hole."

Parker also struggled. He had averaged 21.9 points over the previous seven games, scoring most of his baskets at the rim.

But Parker darted into the lane only once or twice against the Kings, if that. All but one of his nine shots was from at least 18 feet. He finished with seven points, two assists and six turnovers.

"I think Tony kept himself out of the lane," Popovich said.

Still, the Spurs had their chances. After Brent Barry tied the game at 73 on a 3-pointer with 4:34 remaining, Parker appeared to come up with a rebound only to lose control of the ball. It instead ended up in the hands of Stojakovic, who drilled a 3-pointer.

Bowen actually blocked Stojakovic's next 3-point attempt, but the ball bounced to the Kings. Brad Miller then tossed in a 22-footer with a second left on the shot clock.

Robert Horry's 3-pointer with 12.6 seconds left brought the Spurs within 84-81. He and Duncan also appeared to tie up Stojakovic on the ensuing inbounds play, but official Danny Crawford whistled Horry for his sixth foul.

The Spurs thought a jump ball was warranted, especially after the two Webber forced on Duncan.

"I was very surprised," Horry said. "That's the one thing we always get mad about with the refs is consistency. They always get mad at us for yelling at them, but the only thing that makes us mad is they're not consistent."

That left it up to Stojakovic to close out the game. He calmly stepped to the foul line and made both free throws.

"That's Peja's job," Popovich said. "His job is to shoot it and knock it down. He did a good job tonight, that's for sure."

T Park
01-03-2005, 01:45 AM
"I think Tony kept himself out of the lane," Popovich said[QUOTE]

Good point Pop, alot of Times TOny took it to the hole had a shot and for some reason kicked it out.

The Spurs thought a jump ball was warranted, especially after the two Webber forced on Duncan.

"I was very surprised," Horry said. "That's the one thing we always get mad about with the refs is consistency. They always get mad at us for yelling at them, but the only thing that makes us mad is they're not consistent."

[QUOTE]

Thats a fine, but way to speak the truth Bob.

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-03-2005, 06:03 PM
I like how some Spurs fans freak out about a loss, even when that loss was due to the team shooting under 40% from the floor, missing a ton of free throws, and basically just not playing with a lot of energy. . .on the road. This is the regular season. . .aka the "Extended Preseason".

SA puts forth 5% more effort and they win. Heck they hit some free throws and they win. It took a supreme effort by Stoy-yockovich for Sacto to beat SA, in their own building, with the Spurs playing like crap.

No worries here.

Dre_7
01-03-2005, 07:52 PM
SA puts forth 5% more effort and they win. Heck they hit some free throws and they win. It took a supreme effort by Stoy-yockovich for Sacto to beat SA, in their own building, with the Spurs playing like crap.

No worries here.

Amen!