PDA

View Full Version : UT-ex helping Kings

Kori Ellis
01-03-2005, 01:42 AM
UT-ex helping Kings

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA010305.5D.BKNspurs.evans.6c5d6944.html

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

SACRAMENTO, Calif. — After going to training camp on a make-good contract, former University of Texas guard Maurice Evans has made good with the Sacramento Kings.

With Kings guard Bobby Jackson out until April with a torn ligament in his left wrist, Evans is getting regular minutes off the bench.

"Unfortunately, it's due to Bobby's injury, (but) I've been able to step in and try and help out as much as I can," Evans said.

Sacramento's coaching staff has been most pleased with Evans' defense.

"If I can go out there and hound people and make it difficult for them to score and just be a terror," Evans said, "then that's what I'm going to do."

Evans spent last season in Italy, where he was the Eurobasket Player of the Year for Benetton Treviso. He worked out at the Spurs' practice facility this summer and was impressed with what he saw.

"They had their entire team there," Evans said. "It's no secret why they're one of the best teams, if not the best team, in the NBA right now."

Evans hasn't forgotten about his former school. He watched the Longhorns' Rose Bowl victory over Michigan.

"I'm very proud," Evans said. "I'm happy for coach (Mack) Brown that they got the BCS bid in the first place and then went in there and took care of business. It's good for the school."

Bad aim: For the second consecutive game, the Spurs labored to find the basket for much of the first half. They missed 11 of their first 14 shots then went almost as cold at the end of the half, making only one basket in the final 4 minutes, 6 seconds of the second quarter.

A little help: With Kings forward Chris Webber often pulling Tim Duncan away from the basket, Spurs center Rasho Nesterovic cleaned up behind his teammate. Less than four minutes into the second half he already had matched his previous season high with 12 rebounds.

Unfortunately for the Spurs, Nesterovic picked up his third and fourth fouls not long after and had to spend the rest of the quarter on the bench.