PDA

View Full Version : Will the Heat make the playoffs?

Please_dont_ban_me
01-18-2008, 08:35 PM
They're about 9 games out right now.

And the East being...well, the East...a winning streak here and there and they could be right back in the thick of things. I say, yes. (Assuming they're healthy from this point out)

SAtown
01-18-2008, 08:40 PM
It's more likely that they tank the season and let everyone recover

Please_dont_ban_me
01-18-2008, 08:41 PM
It's more likely that they tank the season and let everyone recover

Pat Riley won't let that happen, in my opinion.

O'neal
Haslem
Davis
Wade
Williams

That's a nice lineup. One that should make the playoffs.

If they stay healthy the rest of the way I bet they put together a few winning streaks and sneak into the playoffs.

baseline bum
01-18-2008, 08:51 PM
No way in hell. NJ is the current 8-seed, and is on pace to win 39 games. Miami is currently 8-29, and would therefore have to go 31-14 for the rest of the season to get to 39 wins. In other words, they'd have to start playing at the level of Phoenix starting this second with no hiccups to be on pace for the 8-seed (not even counting tiebreakers).

MavDynasty
01-18-2008, 08:54 PM
The only way the Heat make the playoffs are if they get fluke wins by making their shots and getting the calls.

Please_dont_ban_me
01-18-2008, 08:54 PM
No way in hell. NJ is the current 8-seed, and is on pace to win 39 games. Miami is currently 8-29, and would therefore have to go 31-14 for the rest of the season to get to 39 wins. In other words, they'd have to start playing at the level of Phoenix starting this second with no hiccups to be on pace for the 8-seed (not even counting tiebreakers).

They're 9 games back in the loss column right now.

if they cut that down 2-3 by the All-Star break and are within 6-7 games going into the second half of the season...you're telling me that's a margin that's insurmountable?

I'm not saying it WILL happen for sure. But I think it will. It's not something I'd say "hell no" to though.

baseline bum
01-18-2008, 09:05 PM
They're 9 games back in the loss column right now.

if they cut that down 2-3 by the All-Star break and are within 6-7 games going into the second half of the season...you're telling me that's a margin that's insurmountable?

I'm not saying it WILL happen for sure. But I think it will. It's not something I'd say "hell no" to though.

Yes. It's insurmountable. They're not going to be 9 games better than New Jersey, Indiana, and Chicago. Do you honestly think they're going to play Suns, Mavs, or Spurs-level basketball for the rest of the season? They have one of the worst benches I've seen in the last 25 years, Wade's not healthy, and Shaq is done. Miami has absolutely zero shot of making the playoffs.

Please_dont_ban_me
01-18-2008, 09:10 PM
Yes. It's insurmountable. They're not going to be 9 games better than New Jersey, Indiana, and Chicago. Do you honestly think they're going to play Suns, Mavs, or Spurs-level basketball for the rest of the season? They have one of the worst benches I've seen in the last 25 years, Wade's not healthy, and Shaq is done. Miami has absolutely zero shot of making the playoffs.

Agreed, they have a bad bench. But they're starting lineup is good enough to make the playoffs. I do like that little white kid, though. The backup PG. He's tough and plays the position decently well. Kind of like a white Tyronne Lue.

That said, there's nothing else to really contribute to this. Just a difference of opinion. At this point let's kick back and see who was right. :)

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-18-2008, 09:13 PM
Not at all.

jay014
01-18-2008, 09:16 PM
Isiah Thomas has a better shot at keeping his job than the Heat making the playoffs.

MavDynasty
01-18-2008, 09:43 PM
Isiah Thomas has a better shot at keeping his job than the Heat making the playoffs.

:toast

Hemotivo
01-18-2008, 10:05 PM
^^

bostonguy
01-18-2008, 10:46 PM
The Heat are finished. Stick a fork in them they are done. They will have to wear themselves out to get that 8th seed (which still wont be enough) and will get beaten to a bloody pulp by the Celtics.

atxrocker
01-18-2008, 10:55 PM
they will miss the playoffs. book it.

Please_dont_ban_me
01-18-2008, 10:58 PM
So I guess I'm the only one. :) Alright, we'll see.

kingsfan
01-18-2008, 11:26 PM
It's hard to say right now but a couple of teams ahead of them get hurt or have bad runs, it's possible. I think they'll probably make it.

m33p0
01-19-2008, 12:07 AM
So I guess I'm the only one. :) Alright, we'll see.
They're in the East, dude. anything is possible out East. And woe is the one they face in the playoffs.

Armando
01-19-2008, 12:39 AM
Even if they make the playoffs which they won't what would be the point? To get swept by Boston or at best lose in 5 games? And in the process cost themselves a top 5 draft pick? You knew they were in trouble when Smush and Ricky Buckets were their off season acqusitions. If Riley really cares about Wade he would shut him down already. The season is over why push Wade to play when is obvious when you see him play he is in pain.

baseline bum
01-19-2008, 12:45 AM
It's hard to say right now but a couple of teams ahead of them get hurt or have bad runs, it's possible. I think they'll probably make it.

You're talking three borderline playoff teams have to go on bad run with Miami playing lights out the rest of the season. Not a good start for Miami either, losing a home game in which Wade drops 37. Not going to happen.

Armando
01-19-2008, 12:52 AM
You're talking three borderline playoff teams have to go on bad run with Miami playing lights out the rest of the season. Not a good start for Miami either, losing a home game in which Wade drops 37. Not going to happen.

Chicago,Nets,Hawks,Bobcats are ahead of the Heat in the standings. If any of these teams goes on a run of winning consecutive games they will knock of the Heat from playoff contention.

Findog
01-19-2008, 12:55 AM
They've dug themselves too deep a hole. Lottery-bound.

Armando
01-19-2008, 12:57 AM
They've dug themselves too deep a hole. Lottery-bound.

They need to drop any idea they can make the playoffs and start thinking ping pong balls.

Findog
01-19-2008, 01:03 AM
They need to drop any idea they can make the playoffs and start thinking ping pong balls.

They should buy out Shaq and hope to God they get Michael Beasley in the draft. Derrick Rose or OJ Mayo wouldn't be bad either, they need a PG/primary ballhandler to make things easier on Wade.

SpursDynasty
01-19-2008, 02:10 AM
The Heat won't make the playoffs, but at least they've got a championship to enjoy. Even though their opponent in the Finals in 2006 was pretty easy and a cupcake team, one championship is better than none.

MONTENEGRINO
01-19-2008, 05:00 AM
SHAQ - old, fat and not motivated anymore.
HASLEM - He is just OK. Not force.
DAVIS - looser...
WADE - alone...
J-Will - is he a PG???:D

So, hell no!

Matchman
01-19-2008, 04:28 PM
In the East, it would be better for a team to be lottery bound than to make the playoffs as the 8th seed and to get blown out in the first round.

Please_dont_ban_me
01-19-2008, 05:17 PM
Even if they make the playoffs which they won't what would be the point? To get swept by Boston or at best lose in 5 games? And in the process cost themselves a top 5 draft pick? You knew they were in trouble when Smush and Ricky Buckets were their off season acqusitions. If Riley really cares about Wade he would shut him down already. The season is over why push Wade to play when is obvious when you see him play he is in pain.

Let's say the Heat make the playoffs playing lights out.

Let's say they meet up with the Celtics (who have cooled down a little at that point, and are still with a good record, but not blazing like the first half).

Do you really think the Celtics would just overpower a team with Shaq / Wade? I think the Heat could give them a run for there money as a 8th seed.

Please_dont_ban_me
01-19-2008, 05:18 PM
They're in the East, dude. anything is possible out East. And woe is the one they face in the playoffs.

Agreed.

Btw nice sig. I stole it for my sign on another forum, hope you don't mind.

baseline bum
01-19-2008, 06:54 PM

Let's say they meet up with the Celtics (who have cooled down a little at that point, and are still with a good record, but not blazing like the first half).

Do you really think the Celtics would just overpower a team with Shaq / Wade? I think the Heat could give them a run for there money as a 8th seed.

The Celtics would absolutely mop the floor with the Heat. 4-0. Miami has four players that any other NBA team would want: O'Neal, Wade, Haslem, and Williams. The rest of their team is awful. O'Neal is way past his prime. Wade is probably 70% at best. They're just a really bad team. Being 2 years removed from a championship doesn't change the fact that they have one consistent scorer. They're not losing because of laziness or because they haven't flipped a switch or something. They're certainly not the 2003 Lakers.

Please_dont_ban_me
01-19-2008, 06:55 PM
The Celtics would absolutely mop the floor with the Heat. 4-0. Miami has four players that any other NBA team would want: O'Neal, Wade, Haslem, and Williams. The rest of their team is awful. O'Neal is way past his prime. Wade is probably 70% at best. They're just a really bad team. Being 2 years removed from a championship doesn't change the fact that they have one consistent scorer. They're not losing because of laziness or because they haven't flipped a switch or something. They're certainly not the 2003 Lakers.

They're good enough to win 1-2 games against the Celtics. If they make it into the playoffs.

tlongII
01-19-2008, 07:36 PM
You should be banned for suggesting the Heat can make the playoffs. They are terrible.

Armando
01-19-2008, 11:25 PM

Yes because the Heat have no answer for the big 3. In that series Wade will have to defend someone most likely Ray Allen. Wade is not the greatest defender neither is Allen but Boston's team defense is great plus they have Posey he can slow Wade just enough. Also Pierce would just destroy Ricky Davis, Dorell Wright and whoever the Heat throw at him. Don't even get me started on KG. I also doubt that Boston will be flat in thier first playoff game they should win on energy alone. That building will be crazy.

Please_dont_ban_me
01-20-2008, 02:17 AM
Yes because the Heat have no answer for the big 3. In that series Wade will have to defend someone most likely Ray Allen. Wade is not the greatest defender neither is Allen but Boston's team defense is great plus they have Posey he can slow Wade just enough. Also Pierce would just destroy Ricky Davis, Dorell Wright and whoever the Heat throw at him. Don't even get me started on KG. I also doubt that Boston will be flat in thier first playoff game they should win on energy alone. That building will be crazy.

I'm not saying they'll beat the Celtics. But they will one or maybe two games.

Wade is a very good defender and can give Pierce / Allen a tough time. Shaq can shove it down KG's throat in the post. And Haslem can get under KG's skin similar to how he did Dirk. God forbid Ricky Davis decides he wants to show up on the defensive end of the court...

Again, they won't win the series. But they will get 1 or 2 games off the Celtics. Mark my words.

Please_dont_ban_me
01-20-2008, 02:17 AM
You should be banned for suggesting the Heat can make the playoffs. They are terrible.

You should be promoted to moderator for such a great take. It was great. :elephant

baseline bum
01-20-2008, 03:39 AM
They're 10 games back with 43 to go. They just lost to the freaking Knicks on their homecourt, and are far and away the worst team in the east. To think they have any shot at the playoffs is ridiculous.

Please_dont_ban_me
01-20-2008, 03:52 AM
They're 10 games back with 43 to go. They just lost to the freaking Knicks on their homecourt, and are far and away the worst team in the east. To think they have any shot at the playoffs is ridiculous.

Ya...

That game the other night against the Blazers looked like a turning point for them. Though they lost they played tough and it seemed like they finally were turning a corner.

But that Knicks loss. =/ I'm starting to have doubts. If in the next 10 games they don't cut the difference down 7-8 games they're fucked.

jay014
01-20-2008, 10:48 AM
\ I'm starting to have doubts. If in the next 10 games they don't cut the difference down 7-8 games they're fucked.
They're FUCKED! Out of their next 10 I see them losing between 8 to 10 games the Spurs are playing shitty basketball so they may pull that one out.

exstatic
01-20-2008, 10:49 AM
Everyone thinks the AS break is the halfway point, but it isn't. There are some teams at the turn already, and Orlando has actually started the second half of their season. Miami would have to make up 10 games with a hair over forty remaining. Not happening. They're just not good enough. That 8-31 isn't just a bad stretch, it indicates a bad team...no make that a very bad team.

Armando
01-20-2008, 11:39 AM

They have the Cavs,Spurs,Pacers and a back to back with the Celtics and Magic. All teams that the Heat have struggled with this season. They are not 10 games better then Chicago,New Jersey,Charlotte or Atlanta.

Armando
01-20-2008, 11:42 AM
I'm not saying they'll beat the Celtics. But they will one or maybe two games.

Wade is a very good defender and can give Pierce / Allen a tough time. Shaq can shove it down KG's throat in the post. And Haslem can get under KG's skin similar to how he did Dirk. God forbid Ricky Davis decides he wants to show up on the defensive end of the court...

Again, they won't win the series. But they will get 1 or 2 games off the Celtics. Mark my words.

If they put Wade on Pierce that means Riley is just asking for the Celts to post up Pierce on Wade. Meaning either Wade gets into foul trouble or the Heat are forced to double team Pierce. As for Shaq he would be matched up more with Perkins and Pollard.

baseline bum
01-20-2008, 01:37 PM
They have the Cavs,Spurs,Pacers and a back to back with the Celtics and Magic. All teams that the Heat have struggled with this season. They are not 10 games better then Chicago,New Jersey,Charlotte or Atlanta.

Miami wouldn't make the playoffs if they had to play the Washington Generals the rest of the season.