PDA

View Full Version : the most patriotic americans in history.

inconvertible
01-18-2008, 09:39 PM
I say its these guys.......their signature was also their own death warrant.

New Hampshire: Josiah Bartlett, William Whipple, Matthew Thornton
Massachusetts: Samuel Adams, John Adams, John Hancock, Robert Treat Paine, Elbridge Gerry
Rhode Island: Stephen Hopkins, William Ellery
Connecticut: Roger Sherman, Samuel Huntington, William Williams, Oliver Wolcott
New York: William Floyd, Philip Livingston, Francis Lewis, Lewis Morris
New Jersey: Richard Stockton, John Witherspoon, Francis Hopkinson, John Hart, Abraham Clark
Pennsylvania: Robert Morris, Benjamin Rush, Benjamin Franklin, John Morton, George Clymer, James Smith, George Taylor, James Wilson, George Ross
Delaware: George Read, Caesar Rodney, Thomas McKean
Maryland: Samuel Chase, William Paca, Thomas Stone, Charles Carroll of Carrollton
Virginia: George Wythe, Richard Henry Lee, Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Harrison, Thomas Nelson, Jr., Francis Lightfoot Lee, Carter Braxton
North Carolina: William Hooper, Joseph Hewes, John Penn
South Carolina: Edward Rutledge, Thomas Heyward, Jr., Thomas Lynch, Jr., Arthur Middleton
Georgia: Button Gwinnett, Lyman Hall, George Walton

PixelPusher
01-18-2008, 09:42 PM
Considering their, shall we say, less than devoted attitude toward the Royal Crown, Wild Cobra would have to disagree.

Wild Cobra
01-18-2008, 11:46 PM
Considering their, shall we say, less than devoted attitude toward the Royal Crown, Wild Cobra would have to disagree.
My God man... You just don't get it.

The distiction is knowing you are doing the right thing.

Extra Stout
01-19-2008, 01:45 PM
My God man... You just don't get it.

The distiction is knowing you are doing the right thing.
So... if somebody criticizes executive authority while "doing the right thing," they are patriots, but if they are doing the "wrong" thing, they aren't.

And let me guess, you are the arbiter of whether somebody's political opinion is right or wrong, so basically only people who agree with your political opinions can be patriots.

PEP
01-19-2008, 01:50 PM
Michael Moore, Sean Penn, Danny Glover and Keith Obermann!

PEP
01-19-2008, 02:25 PM
all 4 of the above are more successful and better informed than you, i'd guess (except maybe sean penn...spicoli though he was)
Why the flaming buddy? Why do libs always resort to name calling/degrading others they dont agree with? Are you always this depressing?

Wild Cobra
01-19-2008, 09:50 PM
So... if somebody criticizes executive authority while "doing the right thing," they are patriots, but if they are doing the "wrong" thing, they aren't.

No, at least not by the why you may have unintentionally stated that.

If the executive authority is correct in their actions, and are criticized in a manner that fails to be correct and accurate. That person cannot be considered as doing a patriotic thing.

If the executive authority is easily shown as wrong, and there is not supportive evidence on the contrary, then a patriot will question and speak out about the policies or actions.

And let me guess, you are the arbiter of whether somebody's political opinion is right or wrong, so basically only people who agree with your political opinions can be patriots.

No. Consider this test. If there is evidence both ways, far more research into the facts are needed. You guys criticizing the war, president Bush, etc. do not have the facts on your side. You can find evidence, but there is also evidence to the contrary. There is no clear cut wrongdoing by our president, and all the reasoning given, is plausible or better.

There is no evidence of wrongdoing by our president that doesn't have better evidence on no wrongdoing. Mistakes will happen, as nobody is perfect. The mistakes are not excessive by any measure.

You can say that is my opinion, and I'll grant you that. However, ask yourself is the is irrefutable evidence to criticize our president on. If it is not irrefutable. Then don't criticize his actions and expect to be considered patriotic.

The test is not mine to set. Look at a broad view of opinions around you. When you find so many people disagreeing with your viewpoint, do not consider you viewpoint irrefutable, hence, use caution with criticism.

This is where I have a problem with prominent voices like how our liberal congress members bash the president. They do not have the proper measure 9of fact to be doing so. The actions and programs they criticize are seen by the world, and we are a joke to have so many unpatriotic congressional members.

If they with to criticize, it should also at least be done with respect and tact. Still, they need to know they are right, rather than just attacking for partisan political reasons.

Extra Stout
01-20-2008, 12:17 AM
That is a copout. Virtually no national leader engages in actions which are unanimously considered as wrong. Even George III had a large number of sympathizers in the colonies.

It is very obvious that when a President comes along from the other party who makes a decision you don't like, that you will claim that the decision is irretrievably wrong and supportable, that it is your "patriotic" duty to oppose that President, and that anybody supporting that President is unpatriotic.

word
01-20-2008, 08:38 AM
I say its these guys.......their signature was also their own death warrant.

New Hampshire: Josiah Bartlett, William Whipple, Matthew Thornton
Massachusetts: Samuel Adams, John Adams, John Hancock, Robert Treat Paine, Elbridge Gerry
Rhode Island: Stephen Hopkins, William Ellery
Connecticut: Roger Sherman, Samuel Huntington, William Williams, Oliver Wolcott
New York: William Floyd, Philip Livingston, Francis Lewis, Lewis Morris
New Jersey: Richard Stockton, John Witherspoon, Francis Hopkinson, John Hart, Abraham Clark
Pennsylvania: Robert Morris, Benjamin Rush, Benjamin Franklin, John Morton, George Clymer, James Smith, George Taylor, James Wilson, George Ross
Delaware: George Read, Caesar Rodney, Thomas McKean
Maryland: Samuel Chase, William Paca, Thomas Stone, Charles Carroll of Carrollton
Virginia: George Wythe, Richard Henry Lee, Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Harrison, Thomas Nelson, Jr., Francis Lightfoot Lee, Carter Braxton
North Carolina: William Hooper, Joseph Hewes, John Penn
South Carolina: Edward Rutledge, Thomas Heyward, Jr., Thomas Lynch, Jr., Arthur Middleton
Georgia: Button Gwinnett, Lyman Hall, George Walton

Interesting that Nathan Hale isn't on this list. He's pretty much the gold standard for patriotism. His last words before being hung were:

'My only regret is that I have but one life to give for my country.'

Nathan Hale (http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/hale.htm)

How about Patrick Henry, 'I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death ! '

Patrick Henry's Speech (http://www.classbrain.com/artteenst/publish/give_me_liberty_speech.shtml)

Your list is ruined.

Gerryatrics
01-20-2008, 06:15 PM
Your list is ruined.

You ruined the Declaration of Independence?

word
01-20-2008, 06:27 PM
Completely owned it. While great 'mericans all, not necessarily the greatest patriots. Did George Washington sign the DoI ? No, he didn't.

Here is some info on the signers of the DoI. Believe it or not, some were actually captured during the war by the British and lived. 1 died later as a result of his incarceration by the British.

http://phillytalk.com/library/articles/declaration-of-independance-signers.html

Not mocking the founding fathers, just saying that they were the elite of this nation at the time. Rich farmers, doctors, lawyers etc. Harvard and Yale educated. There are other Americans who's names are more synonymous with 'patriot' than the signors of the DoI, is all I'm saying.

Nathan Hale is the gold standard for the word 'patriot'.

word
01-20-2008, 07:23 PM
Not to mention, Tom Brady isn't on the list.