PDA

View Full Version : McGrady Could Return Against Spurs

duncan228
01-18-2008, 09:59 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/basketball/nba/01/18/bc.bkn.rockets.mcgrady.ap/index.html

McGrady could return against Spurs

HOUSTON (AP) -- Rockets star Tracy McGrady said Friday he'll probably end an 11-game absence, a day after saying his left knee needed more time to heal.

McGrady has been sidelined with a bone bruise, a strained tendon and patellar tendinitis in the knee. He said Thursday he was "unlikely" to play against the San Antonio Spurs on Saturday night because the injury was still painful and limiting his movement.

But he made it through the Rockets' nearly two-hour practice Friday and labeled himself "75 percent" ready to face the Spurs.

"There's a good chance I could play," McGrady said. "It took me a while to really get going because it was sore from [Thursday]. Once it loosened up, I was fine."

The Rockets are 7-4 in their latest stretch without McGrady but have lost their past two games, blowing fourth-quarter leads in both. McGrady said he would probably come off the bench if he plays against San Antonio.

"I would like to come out, when I first come back, and be the type of player I know I can be," he said. "I know I've missed a lot of games, been out for a while. My timing and rhythm and everything will probably be off."

Houston coach Rick Adelman was encouraged by how McGrady looked in practice Friday, but said he would wait until Saturday to decide if he could play.

"He certainly moved a lot better today, a lot better than yesterday," Adelman said. "We'll see how he feels tomorrow, see what his response is. But he certainly looked promising, the way he played over yesterday."

Hemotivo
01-18-2008, 10:01 PM
:bang

:lol

ratm1221
01-18-2008, 10:02 PM
:sleep

McGrady is a non-factor. They lose when he plays, they lose when he doesn't play. If Spurs lose to Houston it's because they beat themselves.

duncan228
01-18-2008, 10:04 PM
http://www.nba.com/rockets/news/McGrady_could_return_to_action-253270-34.html

McGrady could return to action against Spurs
San Antonio at Houston, Saturday, 7:30 p.m.

Records: Houston (20-19), San Antonio (25-12)
When: Saturday, 7:30 p.m.
Where: Toyota Center

Injury Update: G Tracy McGrady (left knee) is questionable and G Steve Francis (bi-lateral quadricep tendinitis) is out for the Rockets; F Brent Barry (calf) is probable for the Spurs.

Spurs Update: The Spurs have been slowed by injuries in the first half of the season. But not much. Despite Thursday's setback in an NBA Finals rematch with Cleveland, the defending champs are only one game behind the Phoenix Suns for the best record in the Western Conference. As usual, they're doing it with defense. The Spurs are third in the NBA in scoring defense, limiting opponents to 91.9 points per game.

Projected Starting Lineup:
ROCKETS

Pos Player PPG RPG
G Rafer Alston 11.4 3.2
G Luther Head 8.0 1.8
F Shane Battier 8.4 4.9
F Chuck Hayes 3.4 6.4
C Yao Ming 22.1 10.5

SPURS

Pos Player PPG RPG
G Tony Parker 20.1 3.1
G Michael Finley 10.6 3.9
F Bruce Bowen 5.9 3.0
F Tim Duncan 18.6 10.8
C Fabricio Oberto 5.2 5.7

Damien Pierce
Rockets.com Staff Writer
HOUSTON -- Tracy McGrady might be making his long-awaited return after all.

Back on the practice court for a second consecutive day, McGrady left Friday's workout cautiously optimistic that he might be able to return Saturday night when the Rockets host the San Antonio Spurs.

The Rockets' leading scorer has missed the past 11 games with a left knee injury. He considered himself doubtful for Saturday's game following his first practice in almost month on Thursday.

But now, McGrady said there is about a "75 percent" chance that he'd be back in the lineup against the NBA's defending champs.

"There is a good chance," McGrady said. "It depends on how my body feels (before Saturday's game)."

McGrady sweated through Friday's practice without incident, clearning the way for his potential return.

Despite struggling to get through Thursday's practice, McGrady didn't skip any drills on Friday. The seven-time All-Star said he even felt more comfortable making cuts and pushing off with his knee.

The rest of the Rockets noticed his progress as well.

"He looked a lot better today," Rockets coach Rick Adelman said. "The key is probably seeing how he feels tomorrow. It certainly looks promising."

McGrady's comeback would provide the Rockets with a much-needed boost following two crushing home losses.

Behind some late turnovers and defensive breakdowns, Houston coughed up fourth-quarter leads in back-to-back losses to New Orleans and Philadelphia. Part of the trouble came when the Rockets were trying to force entry passes into Yao Ming when the Rockets center was surrounded by defenders down the stretch.

But with McGrady back, the Rockets would have another option to lean on in the waning moments.

The Rockets, though, aren't sure when McGrady will be ready for that role since he'll need time to regain his rhythm.

McGrady even added that he would likely be coming off the bench Saturday night if he did suit up for the game. Adelman hasn't made a decision on that.

"I haven't thought about it yet," Adelman said. "It's going to be something we're going to have to work through. We'll be chaninging our rotation."

The other key is getting McGrady implemented back into the offense.

During the star's absence, the Rockets were beginning to find a better flow within Adelman's system. Houston has averaged 99.1 points over the past seven games, roughly four points higher than its season average. Rafer Alston and Luther, in particular, have found a good rhythm within the offense.

That's a stark contrast to how things were flowing before McGrady was knocked out of the lineup. When the star was playing, Adelman felt his team was standing around and watching McGrady and Yao handle the scoring load too much.

McGrady said he didn't one anyone to change the way they're playing when he does return to the lineup.

"I don't want them to sit around and watch me," McGrady said.

Still, the Rockets wouldn't mind seeing their leading scorer back on the floor.

"It always to helps to have one of your best players back," Rockets forward Shane Battier said.

bigfundamental21
01-18-2008, 10:07 PM
At this point, I don't really think it matters if McGrady plays or not. I think our main concern is that our team comes out and competes, no matter who is on the court. We need to see effort for the full 48.

SpursGO
01-19-2008, 01:36 AM

McGrady is a non-factor. They lose when he plays, they lose when he doesn't play. If Spurs lose to Houston it's because they beat themselves.

I say your quite the most idiotic Mavericks fan ever, but I guess losing to the Warriors made you like that, still emotionally scarred?

If you actually knew anything about basketball, but last year the Rockets blew us out , and we were a championship team that year (yes a championship, something the Mavericks will never receive), they also didnt have T-Mac that game, the Rockets actually have our number, T-Mac just has his way with us, remember 13 in 35? No way would have T-Mac done that on any other team.

LBJ dunks on Duncan
01-19-2008, 03:46 AM
Uh oh! Bad news for the spurs.

ceLlz7dOOvY

ChumpDumper
01-19-2008, 03:47 AM
cavfan couldn't be any more butthurt about the sweep.

LBJ dunks on Duncan
01-19-2008, 03:50 AM
cavfan couldn't be any more butthurt about the sweep.
Did you like the video?

ChumpDumper
01-19-2008, 03:52 AM
I didn't watch it.

LBJ dunks on Duncan
01-19-2008, 03:55 AM
I didn't watch it.

You should,

it could happen again tonight at the Toyota Center

ChumpDumper
01-19-2008, 03:57 AM
Anything can happen.

So what?

Indazone
01-19-2008, 04:00 AM
It's not T-Mac you gotta worry about. It's our part time scrub Bonzi Wells who only shows up to play the Spurs. LOL

LBJ dunks on Duncan
01-19-2008, 04:02 AM
It's not T-Mac you gotta worry about. It's our part time scrub Bonzi Wells who only shows up to play the Spurs. LOL

Oh yeah that's true!!! hehehehehe

LBJ dunks on Duncan
01-19-2008, 04:03 AM

McGrady is a non-factor. They lose when he plays, they lose when he doesn't play. If Spurs lose to Houston it's because they beat themselves. LOL :lol

LBJ dunks on Duncan
01-20-2008, 01:27 AM
Uh oh! Bad news for the spurs.

ceLlz7dOOvY

Roxsfan
01-20-2008, 01:33 AM
glad he showed up.....he had good energy, assisting teammates, hitting a 3

9pts, 4 rebs, 4 assists in 27 mins....