PDA

View Full Version : A touching scene on tonight's game

Matchman
01-20-2008, 12:09 AM
Hey im not trying to be an ass and go wild over a January victory (although this victory is very important to my struggling Rockets) but i have a very touching story that i would like to share with you guys

Ill child's wish fulfilled by T-Mac

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
Copyright 2008 Houston Chronicle

Kameron Oliver, 7, a cancer patient and Make-A-Wish participant, visited Rockets practice Friday and will attend tonight's game. Oliver's wish to meet Tracy McGrady was fulfilled before he met and posed for pictures with the team.

"That's what it's all about," McGrady said. "Despite all the glamour, the fame, the fortune, everything like that, when a kid's last wish is to meet a player such as myself and other teammates, to brighten his day and put a smile on his face, there is nothing better than that. That's something you'll cherish the rest of your life, knowing you made a kid's day."

Oliver's pastor, Cedric Robbins, said Oliver was told he had six months to live eight months ago.

"I feel sad," Yao Ming said. "I know he is sick. I had no idea about how hard it is.

"We're happy we can do something for him, to fulfill the wish. We'll dedicate the game to him, be friendly to him, make him happy. I like this. I like the idea, but I wish less and less kids have this problem. It is also for me, unforgettable. I don't know if I could handle this tough a situation."

Asked about playing the Spurs tonight, Yao said. "We will win for the kids."

"He is more of a man than I'll ever be," Shane Battier said of Oliver. "I want to go home and kiss my wife and tell my mom and dad I love them because health is the most important gift you have in this world.

"He reminded us of that. Kameron, what a great guy. He was smiling out there. Go home and kiss your babies tonight."

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/5468502.html

duncan228
01-20-2008, 12:12 AM
Nice.

I know Kobe has never turned Make-A-Wish down. I think it's wonderful that these guys can, and do, make a child's dream come true.

I wonder how many NBA players are involved with it.

rAm
01-20-2008, 12:40 AM
I wanna meet Spurs players!
Someone infect me with leukemia quick.

not cool

SpursDynasty
01-20-2008, 12:41 AM

Classless, poor taste, and just a plain asshole comment.

You should get punched in the throat.

Cherry
01-20-2008, 12:49 AM

Not funny.

Budkin
01-20-2008, 12:50 AM

Leukemia is a death sentence for children. Obviously you didn't know that or you wouldn't have said something so fucking stupid. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-20-2008, 01:00 AM
Looks like I know how to get attention.
Sorry, I went too far.

Sp Ginobili 20
01-20-2008, 01:02 AM
That was sweet that the Rockets did that. Best wishes to Kameron and his family.

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-20-2008, 01:09 AM
That was sweet that the Rockets did that. Best wishes to Kameron and his family.
:tu

T Park
01-20-2008, 01:13 AM
Mcgrady for all his shortcomings as a basketball player has always been a generous and good guy.

Props to him.

Tek_XX
01-20-2008, 01:13 AM
Leukemia is a death sentence for children. Obviously you didn't know that or you wouldn't have said something so fucking stupid. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

Not always, i have a friend in his late twenties that survived childhood leukemia. But yeah the odds on certain cancers are not good.

T Park
01-20-2008, 01:20 AM
Childhood leukemia I thought, thanks to St Jude and other charities, is getting to the point of being easily cureable.

Not 100% mind you like the FLu, but pretty darn good.

polandprzem
01-20-2008, 01:22 AM
They won for the kids

Findog
01-20-2008, 12:59 PM
Classless, poor taste, and just a plain asshole comment.

You're making progress SpursDynasty. Finally some self-awareness from you regarding how you come across here. Oh wait, you were talking about somebody else? Ah, the irony...

* Not defending a lame joke, but it's funny to see Jeff call somebody else out as an asshole.