PDA

View Full Version : I'm glad we didn't make any major moves over the off-season

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-20-2008, 12:41 AM
It's fun watching the old guys on the team look, well, old.

Bowen looks like he's running out of gas, Finley is done, Horry looks spent, Barry is throwing in a whopping two points off the bench.

If we're going to keep looking like ass then at least start giving Ime more burn to figure out if he's really going to be the Bowen replacement (and given old man Bruce some time to rest). Give Richardson more run as well, time to see what he has (can't be any worse than what we're getting out of Finley and Barry.

Props to the Spurs front office for being so damn content this off-season. Can't wait for that Terry Porter playoff moment this April. My bet is it comes from Michael Finley. He is done, he's looking like a puss, and for some stupid ass reason Pop worships the guy and looks the other way with his suck play (probably because he came at such a deep discount to the Spurs).

Frustrating to watch, we all called it over the summer. And I have to listen to piece of shit Mavs fans every day at work.

SuperManu!!!
01-20-2008, 12:42 AM
Please take that bonner picture of your signature...i can't see that guy

BonnerDynasty
01-20-2008, 12:45 AM
Barry and Finley were actually playing well until the Spurs sunk into this hole.

Budkin
01-20-2008, 12:47 AM
We're just going to have to fight through this and start playing winning basketball again, just like every other year. Believe!

T Park
01-20-2008, 12:50 AM
Amazing how Finley is done a couple games removed from scoring 16 and 18 consistently.

LaMarcus Bryant
01-20-2008, 12:51 AM
AHF i agree somewhat but you're wrong about Finley. His age is a strength this season. He plays good more often than bad this season and he's like everyone's dad. He is like the father figure on the team that Robinson had in 2003.

T Park
01-20-2008, 01:00 AM
BTW heres Michael Finley's numbers from December 13th through January 4th while Manu and or Duncan were out.

Averaged for the month of December 14 points a game.

Yes, clearly a player clearly shot and toast.

sribb43
01-20-2008, 01:24 AM
BTW heres Michael Finley's numbers from December 13th through January 4th while Manu and or Duncan were out.

Averaged for the month of December 14 points a game.

Yes, clearly a player clearly shot and toast.

The minutes he played over that stretch bc of the injuries will take a toll on him the rest of the season

T Park
01-20-2008, 01:38 AM
They didn't take a toll last year in the playoffs, don't see why they should this year.

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-20-2008, 02:06 AM

That's awesome production if we ever have Manu and/or Duncan out in the post-season.

With a healthy squad, Finley doesn't get the volume of touches he needs to be consistent on offense. He's a great father figure and would be great for token minutes off the bench here and there, but I hate that we are having to rely on him as a rotation player.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-20-2008, 02:09 AM
Back during the 17-3 run, we were all talking about how deep this team is. Now they're all too old to play? You dismiss Finley's contribution (remember, he's streaky and plays better with more minutes), and Barry's been back for two games! Give them a break.

I have to agree that Bruce is looking very old, as is Rob, but we saw similar stretches from both of them last year. Guess when? January.

Also, what exactly should the FO have done last summer with no capspace?

By no means is anyone happy with our team's current level of performance, but it's a rough patch. We've seen it before. Hell, I was in SA this time last year and watched them lose to LAL and then Houston, and the situation felt much like it does now. What happened? Pop finally benched Beno for JV, gave the "no trades - you guys do it or you don't speech" and that was that - 20-3 after AS Break, killed the playoffs, game over, 4 rings.

Once Pop settles his rotation down and they come back from the rodeo trip we'll know a lot more. Right now, it's last January all over again, and the sky isn't falling just yet...

Kori Ellis
01-20-2008, 02:13 AM
LOL, a few weeks ago the forum consensus was the Bruce was playing the best D of his career. Now, the consensus is that he's looking very old.

Same old Spurs fans. :lol

T Park
01-20-2008, 02:29 AM
Bruce Bowen looked great on defense tonight, dunno what people are watching or where they think he "lost a step"

He supposedly lost a step last year and all of a sudden gained it back in the playoffs.

Shocking.

T Park
01-20-2008, 02:30 AM
With a healthy squad, Finley doesn't get the volume of touches he needs to be consistent on offense. He's a great father figure and would be great for token minutes off the bench here and there, but I hate that we are having to rely on him as a rotation player.

You act like the guy is Steve Smith.

He is far from that.

timvp
01-20-2008, 02:41 AM
Everyone who took the over on the When Will AHF Make A Call Out Thread pool won.

dav4463
01-20-2008, 03:02 AM
Fans are so fickle....so spoiled.....4 freaking championships....this team does this every year.....last year: EXACT SAME THING! ......

Let these guys work out the problems. It is an 82 game season and we really don't need to try to win 70 games and burn out in the playoffs do we? This team is full of great players. We aren't done yet! GO SPURS GO !!!!!

MONTENEGRINO
01-20-2008, 05:14 AM
The only thing that makes me happy is that we are having bad time NOW. Therefore, I believe that it is time left to improve...

TDMVPDPOY
01-20-2008, 08:03 AM
i say we trade these clowns

horry, elson, finley, bonner

there has to be a team out there wanting to shed payroll....

rascal
01-20-2008, 09:18 AM
Fans are so fickle....so spoiled.....4 freaking championships....this team does this every year.....last year: EXACT SAME THING! ......

Let these guys work out the problems. It is an 82 game season and we really don't need to try to win 70 games and burn out in the playoffs do we? This team is full of great players. We aren't done yet! GO SPURS GO !!!!!
GO SPURS GO!!!"
You sound like nothing more than a cheerleader."

The spurs are not a team full of great players. Wake up.

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-20-2008, 09:22 AM
i say we trade these clowns

horry, elson, finley, bonner

there has to be a team out there wanting to shed payroll....
Yea, trade 3 of our 5 bigs. And our starting SG. Genius.

SAGambler
01-20-2008, 09:33 AM
Yea, trade 3 of our 5 bigs. And our starting SG. Genius.

Those who can ... play....Those who can't....well, they monday morning coach from their barcoloungers... And some don't even do that very well.

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-30-2008, 01:01 AM

Bowen looks like he's running out of gas, Finley is done, Horry looks spent, Barry is throwing in a whopping two points off the bench.

If we're going to keep looking like ass then at least start giving Ime more burn to figure out if he's really going to be the Bowen replacement (and given old man Bruce some time to rest). Give Richardson more run as well, time to see what he has (can't be any worse than what we're getting out of Finley and Barry.

Props to the Spurs front office for being so damn content this off-season. Can't wait for that Terry Porter playoff moment this April. My bet is it comes from Michael Finley. He is done, he's looking like a puss, and for some stupid ass reason Pop worships the guy and looks the other way with his suck play (probably because he came at such a deep discount to the Spurs).

Frustrating to watch, we all called it over the summer. And I have to listen to piece of shit Mavs fans every day at work.

Bump. qft.

RC's Boss
01-30-2008, 01:35 AM
Amazing how Finley is done a couple games removed from scoring 16 and 18 consistently.
I was thinking the same damn thing!!! When he's off, they want him traded, when he's on... no one says shit! Everyone else just camp on the 3pt line, Fin does have some mid-range game at least.

Holt's Cat
01-30-2008, 01:40 AM
Wasn't this thread started last season?

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-30-2008, 01:42 AM
Bump. qft.

Okay, you win. Most of the team looks 50. Good call.

:depressed

On the flipside, what should the FO have done? It's not like we had capspace.

T Park
01-30-2008, 01:43 AM
I'm still waiting on who all these magical young guys are and where they were.

genomefreak13
01-30-2008, 03:03 AM

People should settle down. The season is only done half way. There's alot of positive things that can happen. The only way we can have a final conclusion on the rightness (or erronousness) of FO decisions is to wait for the seasons end. People who jump to the blame game this ealry is foolish and without consideration of things. So please be more patient and observe.

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-30-2008, 01:33 PM
I'm still waiting on who all these magical young guys are and where they were.

So what are we paying Pop and RC to do? Pick their noses? I'm pretty sure that's for them to figure out.

You need names? Howabout Scola? Doing better than any big on this team not named Tim. Sure would like having him around to throw the ball into in the post when Tim's out...

Or letting Spanoulis go back to Greece for cap space. Yep, that worked out well, now we're scraping the bottom of the barrel to find another point guard with Tony out.

The Spurs front office has been creative in the use of trades, FA, etc. to fill roster holes in the past, and they could have done it again if they would have given a damn.

Instead, they bought into the idea that because they cruised through the playoffs last year (which is a lot easier to do when you have GS around to punk the Mavs) they didn't need to make any changes other than cherry picking Udoka.

And now that decision has come home to roost. All so Holt could pull down an extra 5 million over the other 20 million or so he probably made last year. Fucking awesome.

And it's not just about this past summer, we have been talking about the glut of 'veterans' on this team for a good 2-3 years now, knowing what was coming, and they have done nothing to address it.

boutons_
01-30-2008, 01:41 PM
'have done nothing to address it."

youngsters Mahinmi + Splitter = nothing?

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-30-2008, 01:47 PM
'have done nothing to address it."

youngsters Mahinmi + Splitter = nothing?

How many of them are getting minutes for us right now? Mahinmi is getting a free plane ride on the RRT, and Splitter isn't even in the same zip code.