PDA

View Full Version : Spurs notebook: Horry wants to put clanking behind him

Spurs Brazil
01-20-2008, 07:58 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA012008.spursnotes.en.3c54f01b.html

Spurs notebook: Horry wants to put clanking behind him

Web Posted: 01/20/2008 12:23 AM CST

Mike Monroe
Express-News staff writer

HOUSTON — It may be that what the Spurs missed most during the eight games guard Brent Barry was sidelined with a torn muscle in his left calf was his sense of humor.
Barry had the Spurs laughing out loud at their morning shootaround before Saturday's game against the Rockets at Toyota Center.

It was a spot-on impression of veteran forward Robert Horry's unique 3-point shooting motion that had his teammates and coaches — even Gregg Popovich —in stitches.

Horry laughed, too.

"Do I really shoot them that bad, though?" Horry chortled after Barry clanked another long-range shot as his alter-ego.

Unfortunately, over the five-game stretch that preceded Saturday's game, Horry has. The last 3-pointer the 16-year veteran from Alabama made was on Jan. 4. He was scoreless in the five games that preceded Saturday's, going 0 for 7. His shooting percentage plummeted to 18.9, a figure that makes him roll his eyes.

Since joining the Spurs in 2003, Horry always has started slowly.

After missing most of training camp for personal reasons, and then straining a hamstring when he returned to the court, he has struggled to find a rhythm to his game.

"I got it for a second," he said. "Then it disappeared again.

"It's never taken this long to get my shot falling. It's been a weird year for me. It's like even though you have practice time and you put in the hours, I still don't know what's wrong."

Horry said he needs playing time to get in true game shape, but understands it is hard for Popovich to play him when he is shooting so poorly.

He remains confident his accuracy eventually will return.

"I'd rather be clanking it now than clanking it down the stretch. I hope I won't clank it down the stretch."

Blurry: Tim Duncan, the Spurs' All-Star power forward, was poked in the right eye as he started a drive down the lane with 6:04 remaining in the first quarter against Houston. Athletic trainer Will Sevening examined the injury and Duncan was replaced by Francisco Elson. He spent the next 3:24 on the bench with ice on the eye, but returned to the court with 2:43 left in the quarter and seemed to have no problems with his vision thereafter.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[email protected]

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-20-2008, 09:20 AM
I hope he doesn't clank it down the stretch either.

wildbill2u
01-20-2008, 01:24 PM
If wishes were horses, beggars would ride. (old proverb)

Horry and Pop may be facing some hard decisions about playing time, trade, and retirement.

ClingingMars
01-20-2008, 01:29 PM
he's always been terrible until the playoffs.

-Mars

Dingle Barry
01-20-2008, 01:38 PM
Not terrible like this