PDA

View Full Version : A healthy Bynum makes team 'championship caliber', Bryant

LakeShow
01-20-2008, 10:21 AM
Now it's official! If Kobe comes out and says that, being he's a 3 time NBA champion. He knows what a championship caliber team is. Now all you naysayers and haters take note. When bynum comes back the lakers will be competiting for the title that rightfully belongs in LA!

http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-sp-heisler20jan20,1,7995765,full.story?coll=la-headlines-sports-nba-lakers

PRO BASKETBALL / MARK HEISLER
Bryant's changing tune music to Lakers' ears

His remark that a healthy Bynum makes team 'championship caliber' hints at a more positive state of mind and a thaw in his attitude toward organization.
By Mark Heisler, ON THE NBA
January 20, 2008

Guess who's staying for dinner?

It wasn't the best week in Lakerdom with Andrew Bynum out and fans booing poor Kwame Brown, who had enough problems before he had to replace a 20-year-old prodigy.

Championship-caliber duo?
http://www.latimes.com/media/thumbnails/photo/2008-01/34830329-19160414.jpg

Happily for the Lakers, there was more going on than bracing for the next eight weeks.

After Monday's victory in Seattle, Kobe Bryant, who had scored 48 points and made the game-winning shot, did the obligatory sweaty stand-up with KCAL's John Ireland, in which he usually just says he wanted to stay aggressive.

This time, however, he wished Bynum the best, adding: "We're a championship-caliber team with him in the lineup."

With those 10 words, Bryant, who had refused to characterize the Lakers in any way at any point in their surprising start, gave away a new state of mind.

He's back?

Not yet he isn't, but for the first time since demanding a trade last spring and excoriating management, Bryant tipped off a change of his no longer cold, dead-beating, two-timing, double-dealing, mean mistreating, loving heart.

Always stubborn, almost always controlled, Bryant rarely gives hints, even with teammates or Phil Jackson, but there has been no missing his thaw.

"I think he thoughtfully and with intent was very reserved and very kind of internal about his thoughts and didn't want to speak out," said Derek Fisher.

"I think he made it very obvious he wanted to just see what was going to happen. . . . No one knew what Andrew was going to be able to do. Nobody knew what I was going to be able to do. Nobody knew what Jordan Farmar was going to be able to do.

"There were a number of other-than-Kobe-who-is-this-team [questions] going on and we've had some guys fill some roles and step up in a way that's made us into a team.

"So he as well as myself and, I think, even Phil feels we have a team and it's not just Kobe and the guys."

If Bryant is constructive instead of emotionally locked down, they're not just a team but a budding power, instead of the hype of the last three seasons.

Of course, Bryant has since been asked about his "championship-caliber" quote without betraying anything more.

Nor will he until after the season. If you were him -- and believe me, whoever you are, you're not -- you wouldn't, either. The day Bryant says he's back, he'll be asked why.

The short answer is "Andrew Bynum," but if Bryant says that, the next question will be about his on-camera rant about not trading Bynum for New Jersey's Jason Kidd.

Then Bryant would be asked about torching owner Jerry Buss and General Manager Mitch Kupchak, who, it turned out, weren't just right but brilliant in their handling of the situation, hanging on to Bynum, riding out Kobe's days of rage, however miserable they felt at the time.

"They handled it exactly right," said a West team official. "They didn't overreact. I really respect that. They deserve what's happening to them."

Bynum now ranks on a par with Portland's Greg Oden, considered the center prospect of his generation before knee surgery deferred his rookie season.

Indiana Pacers President Donnie Walsh, who tried to acquire Bynum, said recently, "The great wars are going to be between Greg Oden and Bynum."

"I think, just looking at them, Bynum's a much better offensive player and Oden's a much better defensive player," said Phoenix Coach Mike D'Antoni.

"They're both going to be good because they're excellent in what they do. Now, can they expand their game?"

In all probability, Oden can. Bynum definitely can since he already has.

Bynum's defense has taken a quantum leap from the start of the season when he was just trying not to foul out and was told to "be 7 feet tall" -- stay on the floor with his arms extended above his head.

When he showed he could do that, they went to the next lesson: Moving.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar started telling him to get his weight down instead, to move as the ball did, waiting to use his size at the right moment.

"It was like in a period of three days," said Abdul-Jabbar. "On the third day nobody in practice could get an easy shot. It was that quick."

Bynum's blocked shots went from 1.5 a game in November to 2.7 in December and he has been in the top 10 since.

Of course, to get to their promising future, the Lakers have to survive the next eight weeks with all their (ugh) issues back:

Will Lamar Odom score enough (shoot enough, take the ball to the hole enough) for a No. 2 option?

Will Bryant trust his teammates and will they step up instead of waiting for him?

How long do we have to watch passes bounce off Brown?

This is what the Lakers thought they were two seasons ago. It's all they would have ever been without Bynum, right up until the moment Bryant left and the Ice Age set in.

For Lakers fans, if not Lakers coaches, it's actually good to see Bryant take 44 shots as he did in Seattle.

It shows he identifies with this team and is assuming responsibility for it, rather than sitting back and evaluating it. It may be wrong but it's what Bryant does when he cares, as he seems to, once more.

It won't be over till it's over but in the best possible news for the Lakers, they may still get to keep being the Lakers, after all.

exstatic
01-20-2008, 10:35 AM
180 forum.

JamStone
01-20-2008, 10:43 AM
They need a smalll forward too. Walton is getting exposed. And Ariza needs to learn how to shoot consistently to be an effective complimentary role player with the other pieces. When Radmanovic is back, he should start along side Odom on the front court. At least he is a legit threat from the outside.

LakeShow
01-20-2008, 11:28 AM
They need a smalll forward too. Walton is getting exposed. And Ariza needs to learn how to shoot consistently to be an effective complimentary role player with the other pieces. When Radmanovic is back, he should start along side Odom on the front court. At least he is a legit threat from the outside.

Walton's having problems with his ankle. He's been up and down since returning from injury. I hear you, but I like Ariza starting. I think he sets the tone with his defense early for the team. I do shudder when I see him shooting but that's something he needs to work on. Put him in the Rick Fox role. Solid Defense and an occasional 3 pointer. He'll need to work on his 3 point shot and I think he would be the perfect compliment to Kobe and Bynum.

LakeShow
01-20-2008, 12:04 PM
So this is the same Kobe before the season that said he wanted to be traded and now Bynum is the missing link to a title? Um sorry I don't buy that! The Lakers might be able to contend but a title I doubt it. They have gotten blown out twice by Boston with Bynum on the floor! Being contenders and winning a title are two different things. Look at the Suns the last 3-4 years.

He sees the light at the end of the tunnel. Like what was said, who knew Bynum would be as good as he is now. His play has been the missing link! It is no longer that. It would take a couple of breaks to win a title. Experience would be the key against a San Antonio or Detroit team. Boston may choke in the playoffs, who knows? If healthy, they have just as much as a chance to win a title as the next team.

LakeShow
01-20-2008, 12:25 PM
The Lakers are probably 1-2 years away from having a great chance of winning a title..I guarantee they will contend but Bynum isn't leading the Lakers to any titles just yet. But it is nice to finally see the Lakers playing well . :toast

The next couple of years should be the Lakers and Blazers contending while unfortunately I see my SPurs team regressing...I guess this is what happens when the Spurs don't develop any young players :madrun

To outright take a title without any breaks needed, i will agree is for next season or the season after.

If anything happens to any of those other teams that I mentioned, and they are eliminated from the playoffs, they can steal a title this season. They have championship experience on that team with Kobe and Fish. They have the best coach with 9 titles sitting on the bench who can make adjustments in the playoffs to any team.

On the Spurs, you think the spurs will go ahead with a makeover next season? They do have alot of old players that are showing their age right now.

da_suns_fan
01-20-2008, 01:05 PM
Where was Phil Jackson last season?

I lost a LOT of respect for the guy with the way he handled last year's playoffs.

He went way overboard trying to distance himself from the team he was responsible for before the series even began.

It really revealed what kind of guy he is (making fun of his own guys and how worthless they are).

A little tough to win championships without Shaq or MJ, isn't it Phil?

LakeShow
01-20-2008, 01:35 PM
Where was Phil Jackson last season?

I lost a LOT of respect for the guy with the way he handled last year's playoffs.

He went way overboard trying to distance himself from the team he was responsible for before the series even began.

It really revealed what kind of guy he is (making fun of his own guys and how worthless they are).

A little tough to win championships without Shaq or MJ, isn't it Phil?

Phil's always did that. He thinks it makes his players play harder to prove themselves. It works with some, like Rodman, Cartwright, Perdue, etc... but it didn't work for players like Smush and cook and a few others. His criticism of Bynum seemed to have worked.

The team Phil inherited was not a good team at all. He has molded the team to his liking now. He has turned around some of the same players that he had and added to them, and is doing a great job. I think this is his finest coaching job.

Last season was a situation with injuries and such that he had no control of. The lakers went into the playoffs with no momentum. You can't blame him for what happened last season.

MavDynasty
01-20-2008, 02:13 PM
Bynum is a scrub.

da_suns_fan
01-20-2008, 02:17 PM
Phil's always did that. He thinks it makes his players play harder to prove themselves. It works with some, like Rodman, Cartwright, Perdue, etc... but it didn't work for players like Smush and cook and a few others. His criticism of Bynum seemed to have worked.

The team Phil inherited was not a good team at all. He has molded the team to his liking now. He has turned around some of the same players that he had and added to them, and is doing a great job. I think this is his finest coaching job.

Last season was a situation with injuries and such that he had no control of. The lakers went into the playoffs with no momentum. You can't blame him for what happened last season.

The HELL you can't! Who was injured in the playoffs last year? They had a completely healthy team but their morale was unbelievably low. Im sure the coach constantly reminding them how worthless they are didn't help.

btw - Lets wait a little before we give Phil a blue ribbon for coaching this year. They started off to the exact same record and we all know how well that turned out.

The Lakers are about to be tested. Thier home-friendly schedule (like last year) is over and they lost Bynum.

How will they handle adversity? Will they buckle like last year? Will Phil prioritize his stance with the media over his relationship with his players?

LakeShow
01-20-2008, 02:36 PM
The HELL you can't! Who was injured in the playoffs last year? They had a completely healthy team but their morale was unbelievably low. Im sure the coach constantly reminding them how worthless they are didn't help.

btw - Lets wait a little before we give Phil a blue ribbon for coaching this year. They started off to the exact same record and we all know how well that turned out.

The Lakers are about to be tested. Thier home-friendly schedule (like last year) is over and they lost Bynum.

How will they handle adversity? Will they buckle like last year? Will Phil prioritize his stance with the media over his relationship with his players?

They got the players back but by no means were they healthy. Walton, Brown and Odom had a separated shoulder last season in the playoffs. They didn't have any time to play together to get those guys back in shape. Please don't forget who the point guard was at that time.

The Lakers were already tested with arguably the toughest schedule so far in the regular season.

True, this will be trying times for the lakers. Phil builds teams with role players and spot up shooters. We do not really have anyone other than Kobe and Lamar that can create their own shots. That's why I say it is important to get someone in the low post that can keep defenses honest. Brown doesn't appear to be that player but time will tell.

exstatic
01-20-2008, 03:51 PM
I'd laugh if Bynum forced Buss to trade the man who threw him in front of the bus last summer, as a condition to sign long term.

LakeShow
01-20-2008, 04:55 PM
I'd laugh if Bynum forced Buss to trade the man who threw him in front of the bus last summer, as a condition to sign long term.

:lol It would be only fitting. You know LA, can't do anything without drama!

DazedAndConfused
01-20-2008, 05:31 PM

They haven't had an easy schedule thus far, I don't know where you are getting that information. So far their SOS is in the top half of NBA teams, while your Suns are way down in the bottom half. And stop bringing up past seasons, those Laker teams were not good (as their records show). This year's team is miles ahead due to the quantum leaps of Bynum and Farmar and the replacement of Smush Parker and the acquisition of Ariza. They've beaten the Suns handily 2-0 when at full strength. The Suns pose no threat to the Lakers this year.

nickdakoolkat
01-21-2008, 01:44 AM
fuck the lakers....they will lose a lot of games over the next 2 months without bynum, and end up with the 7th or 8th spot and lose to one of the top teams again in round 1....

DazedAndConfused
01-21-2008, 01:52 AM
fuck the lakers....they will lose a lot of games over the next 2 months without bynum, and end up with the 7th or 8th spot and lose to one of the top teams again in round 1....

And the Warriors won't even make the playoffs despite having a fully healthy roster.

Nelly ball = 0 rings, 0 Finals appearances. The sad thing is this dude has been in the league for decades.

Findog
01-21-2008, 01:56 AM
Nellie did win five rings as a player with the Celtics. And his Milwaukee teams were noted for their defense. They just happened to be in the same conference as Bird's Celtics and the Malone/Toney Sixers.

sa_kid20
01-21-2008, 02:16 AM
Kobe is full of shit. He was throwing this guy under the bus before the season and now that Bynum was actualy playing well before he got hurt Kobe is now suggesting he makes them title contenders. It's like when you meet someone and you hate them until you find out they work at a certain store and can get you a discount and then all of a sudden you're best friends.

DazedAndConfused
01-21-2008, 02:44 AM
Nellie did win five rings as a player with the Celtics. And his Milwaukee teams were noted for their defense. They just happened to be in the same conference as Bird's Celtics and the Malone/Toney Sixers.

I'm strictly talking about Nelly as a coach. The guy has been coaching longer than nearly all active coaches in the NBA and has yet to reach the NBA Finals. That is pretty alarming to me considering the talented teams he has coached.

I totally agree about the Kobe comment. Man what a perfect analogy.

Findog
01-21-2008, 03:09 AM
I'm strictly talking about Nelly as a coach. The guy has been coaching longer than nearly all active coaches in the NBA and has yet to reach the NBA Finals. That is pretty alarming to me considering the talented teams he has coached.

I don't really know how much of that is really an indictment of him. People say he doesn't care about defense and that's just not true -- his Milwaukee teams were good defensive squads, but they were not better than the Celtics, Sixers and Pistons. He coaches defense. His Warrior teams weren't better than the Blazers or Rockets. He lost a power struggle in New York when he correctly decided that a team that wanted to win at the elite level shouldn't run its offense through Patrick Ewing at that stage of his career. He resurrected a dead franchise in Dallas, and despite that, his Dallas teams still weren't better than the Shaq/Kobe Lakers or San Antonio. His best Dallas team made the Conference Finals because they made good use of zone defenses. His current Warriors squad generates a lot of their fast-break opportunities by being active in the passing lanes and just generally being aggressive on defense in order to force turnovers. You make do with what you have.

It reminds me of people indicting KG for never being able to get out of the first round in Minnesota. When you look back at some of those series when those T-Wolves teams were going up against superior teams without HCA, well, what did people expect? The one year he had a decent supporting cast, he made it to the Conference Finals.

17 out of the last 18 titles have been won by MJ, Hakeem, Duncan and Shaq. Nellie has never had that two-way big man that is the surest and most efficient path to a title, nor has he ever had a kind of transcendent talent like Jordan. What he HAS done is leave just about every team he's coached in better shape upon leaving it than when he found it. I hate to defend Nellie, because I'm more than aware of his flaws from his time in Dallas, but he's a damn good coach, actually he's a great coach, and not having a title doesn't change that. If you go back twenty years, only Pop, Riley, Jackson, Brown, Daly and Rudy T have won a title.

nickdakoolkat
01-21-2008, 01:44 PM
And the Warriors won't even make the playoffs despite having a fully healthy roster.

Nelly ball = 0 rings, 0 Finals appearances. The sad thing is this dude has been in the league for decades.

Well, here is the thing, I know it will be just as hard for the Warriors to make the playoffs as it will be for any western conference team, its a mess and at least 3 playoff caliber teams will not make it.....however, here is the positive for the Warriors, they have played one of the toughest schedules in the league, and have been over .500 on all their recent long eastern road trips. We now have a month of February in which we play only 1 road game, 10 games in all. Of those 10 games 6 of those teams are below .500, and even if we are playing a good team (ie Suns, Celtics) they are home games, and we can beat anybody at Oracle....my point is we have played the toughest part of our schedule and have come out of it 8 games above 500. And the difference between us and the lakers is that we actually have great team chemistry, were not just faking it because we are winning. Even when we lost 6 of our first 7 games, we didnt panic nor did we start pointing fingers.....just wait as soon as the lakers have a losing streak Kobe will start ripping everybody on the team as well as the management, because he is the biggest baby in the league.

DazedAndConfused
01-21-2008, 02:22 PM
Well, here is the thing, I know it will be just as hard for the Warriors to make the playoffs as it will be for any western conference team, its a mess and at least 3 playoff caliber teams will not make it.....however, here is the positive for the Warriors, they have played one of the toughest schedules in the league, and have been over .500 on all their recent long eastern road trips. We now have a month of February in which we play only 1 road game, 10 games in all. Of those 10 games 6 of those teams are below .500, and even if we are playing a good team (ie Suns, Celtics) they are home games, and we can beat anybody at Oracle....my point is we have played the toughest part of our schedule and have come out of it 8 games above 500. And the difference between us and the lakers is that we actually have great team chemistry, were not just faking it because we are winning. Even when we lost 6 of our first 7 games, we didnt panic nor did we start pointing fingers.....just wait as soon as the lakers have a losing streak Kobe will start ripping everybody on the team as well as the management, because he is the biggest baby in the league.

The Warriors are no doubt one of the funnest and most exciting teams to watch in the NBA. I don't think any team can match the chemistry those guys have.

Say what you want about Kobe, but when you cut away all the BS all the guy wants to do is win championships. Any fan would kill to have him on their team. I completely disagreed with the way he went about things over the off-season, but even I didn't predict the Lakers would be this good this year. Nobody knew Bynum was going to make the jump to an elite center so quickly.

nickdakoolkat
01-21-2008, 04:08 PM
I agree, kobe is no doubt the best offensive player the game has seen since Jordan....and he may arguably be a better pure scorer than MJ...but honestly I dont know if I would want him on the Warriors, becaus I dont know that his only objective is to win a championship, if that was the case he would have done everything he could to keep Shaq a Laker. Sure, he wants to win a championship, but he wants to be labeled as "the man" otherwise he wont be happy if all the focus isn't on him.

DazedAndConfused
01-21-2008, 04:22 PM
I agree, kobe is no doubt the best offensive player the game has seen since Jordan....and he may arguably be a better pure scorer than MJ...but honestly I dont know if I would want him on the Warriors, becaus I dont know that his only objective is to win a championship, if that was the case he would have done everything he could to keep Shaq a Laker. Sure, he wants to win a championship, but he wants to be labeled as "the man" otherwise he wont be happy if all the focus isn't on him.

Trust me, there isn't a player in the NBA that wants to win more than Kobe Bryant. Maybe earlier in his career he was more interested in being the #1 guy on the team, but as of right now this guy want to win at all costs. You'd be stupid not to want him on your team.

dirk4mvp
01-21-2008, 05:06 PM
17 out of the last 18 titles have been won by MJ, Hakeem, Duncan and Shaq.

That's mind boggling when you think about it.

DazedAndConfused
01-21-2008, 05:08 PM

Yea it is a crazy stay, just goes to show how important having a dominant bigman really is. Bynum will be the next one to add on that list.

Findog
01-21-2008, 05:08 PM

And if Karl Malone hadn't gotten injured, you could make that 18 out of 18.

Medvedenko
01-21-2008, 05:48 PM
And if Karl Malone hadn't gotten injured, you could make that 18 out of 18.

I here ya.... :depressed

703 Spurz
01-21-2008, 06:29 PM
So then give the Lakers the title then pal, it's guaranteed right?

Rummpd
01-21-2008, 08:37 PM
Bynum is an impressive young man and talented but it is still too early to hype him as much as many have, he is a poor defender, has no outside shot etc.

DazedAndConfused
01-21-2008, 09:04 PM
Bynum is an impressive young man and talented but it is still too early to hype him as much as many have, he is a poor defender, has no outside shot etc.

Poor defender??? Dude averages 2 blocks a game idiot. No outside shot? He's a fucking center, who cares if he has an outside shot. His back to the basket game was on the verge of being second only to Yao and Duncan in the WC.

AND HE'S 20 YEARS OLD. That's why there is hype, kid hasn't even finished growing yet and he's more skilled than 95% of centers in the NBA.

Medvedenko
01-22-2008, 01:47 AM

Dude, have you actually seen him play.....there's a reason the Lakers led the West with point diff....because he clogged the lane and blocked shots. He is also a good defensive rebounder. He had a bunch of games where he blocked more than 5 per game.....Yeah he gets a lot of hype, but when you average 13, 10, and 2 in under 30 min's a game it's well deserved.

LakeShow
01-22-2008, 02:27 PM

I have a hard time distinguishing Joke or Serious on this forum. I'm going to take that as a joke, especially when you say he does not have a "Outside Shot"
:wtf :lol

tlongII
01-22-2008, 02:32 PM
Oden will school him.

DazedAndConfused
01-22-2008, 02:37 PM
Oden's career is already over. Those knees won't hold up for many years. You should have picked up Durant.

LakeShow
01-22-2008, 04:45 PM
Oden will school him.

:lol We will see. Looking forward to the matchup! :toast

da_suns_fan
01-22-2008, 04:49 PM
Oden's career is already over. Those knees won't hold up for many years. You should have picked up Durant.

They said the same thing about Amare before he received his first all-nba 1st team selection last year.

Findog
01-22-2008, 05:00 PM
They said the same thing about Amare before he received his first all-nba 1st team selection last year.

Was it for offense only? :lol

tlongII
01-22-2008, 05:10 PM

It appears that Bynum's knees aren't much better! :lol

DazedAndConfused
01-22-2008, 05:35 PM
It appears that Bynum's knees aren't much better! :lol

We haven't even seen Oden play a single NBA game to date, so I wouldn't crown him just yet. Furthermore the two SPL games he played in he looked very unimpressive. Bynum already has a step up on Oden, given that he has 3 years of NBA experience under his belt.

tlongII
01-22-2008, 05:56 PM
We haven't even seen Oden play a single NBA game to date, so I wouldn't crown him just yet. Furthermore the two SPL games he played in he looked very unimpressive. Bynum already has a step up on Oden, given that he has 3 years of NBA experience under his belt.

We'll see. I'm looking forward to the matchup. Lakers vs Blazers are always my favorite games. :toast

DazedAndConfused
01-22-2008, 06:09 PM
We'll see. I'm looking forward to the matchup. Lakers vs Blazers are always my favorite games. :toast

Fo shizzle!!! Lakers and Blazers are going to be the top teams in the WC in the near future.

Purple & Gold
01-24-2008, 03:07 AM
It was obvious last year as well :dramaquee

Purple & Gold
01-24-2008, 03:07 AM

I did love that game 7 :toast