PDA

View Full Version : Artest Plans to Opt Out After the Season

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-20-2008, 11:41 AM
Kings Notes: Artest plans to opt out of contract after season
He says his salary doesn't concern him as much as a chance to win an NBA title.
By Sam Amick
Published 12:00 am PST Sunday, January 20, 2008

INDIANAPOLIS – Although it was assumed by most that Kings small forward Ron Artest would choose to become a free agent after this season, he said for the first time Saturday that he would likely exercise the early termination option in his contract as expected.

"You know, I guess everybody assumes (I'm going to opt out)," he said. "If you're going to bet your house on it, then bet that I'm going to opt out. But that time will come later. We'll see what happens."

While predicting what Artest will do next is a futile task in any forum, he continued to speak about potential free agency in ways few players – if any – do. Namely, he said the money he could land matters far less than the chance for a championship.

Artest is earning $7.4 million this season and would earn the same salary next season if he didn't opt out.

"Winning is more important," he said. "I'm not thinking about money in my situation. I'm just thinking about winning. I need a ring, or I'll be sick. Whatever I get, I'll get.

"I'll give my dogs and my kids the money, and I don't have to spend nothing. I don't need nothing. If I have my ring, I'll be OK. I can live in the streets hungry."

Artest was playing at Conseco Fieldhouse for just the second time since being traded to the Kings in January 2006. This visit was a slight improvement from his first, a March 17, 2006, meeting in which the Kings lost 98-93 and Artest shot just 6 of 22 from the field while being booed heavily throughout.

This time around, Artest had 15 points but shot just 5 of 14 overall and made six turnovers. Artest missed the Kings' Feb. 25, 2007, game in Indiana because of personal reasons.

Brad on the boards – The Kings have won five of their last six games in Indiana, which is reason enough alone for Brad Miller to be a happy man.

But in his latest visit to his home state, the Kings center contributed on the glass (16 rebounds) in spite of his off shooting night (2 for 7).

It was the fourth time this month Miller has grabbed 13 or more rebounds. After averaging just 6.4 rebounds last season, he is grabbing 8.9 rebounds per game this season.

Their favorite Person – Artest might have been booed by the announced crowd of 14,015, but Chuck Person received only handshakes, hoots and hollers.

While the Kings assistant coach oversees the defense, he spent the first six seasons of his 13-year playing career in Indiana, earning the nickname "Rifleman" for his offensive prowess.

Person later became a special assistant who worked individually with players while working closely in the front office with Pacers CEO Donnie Walsh and team president Larry Bird. Last summer, Person interviewed for the Indiana head-coaching job that went to Jim O'Brien.

http://www.sacbee.com/100/story/648351.html

itzsoweezee
01-20-2008, 12:55 PM
makes sense. he's probably the most underpaid player in the league.

exstatic
01-20-2008, 04:03 PM
makes sense. he's probably the most underpaid player in the league.
He's making about 1.5X the MCE, which means a team would have to dip into caproom to sign him. Do you think any of the 3-5 teams that usually have caproom each year is going to use it on a whack job like Artest? From a talent standpoint, I agree with you, but that's not the whole equation. Ron Artest is documented as being actually mentally ill, and refusing to take medication. He's disruptive, moody, and not a team guy at all. I would liken him to the Ricky Williams of the NBA. His priority just isn't basketball or winning.

baseline bum
01-20-2008, 04:52 PM
He's making about 1.5X the MCE, which means a team would have to dip into caproom to sign him. Do you think any of the 3-5 teams that usually have caproom each year is going to use it on a whack job like Artest? From a talent standpoint, I agree with you, but that's not the whole equation. Ron Artest is documented as being actually mentally ill, and refusing to take medication. He's disruptive, moody, and not a team guy at all. I would liken him to the Ricky Williams of the NBA. His priority just isn't basketball or winning.

In Artest's defense, there is no way he could play at a professional level taking the kind of drugs he would likely need.

exstatic
01-20-2008, 05:57 PM
In Artest's defense, there is no way he could play at a professional level taking the kind of drugs he would likely need.
That may be true, but in that case, it will ALWAYS impact his earnings. No team will ever break the bank for someone with his known, documented brain chemical imbalance issues. I'm thinking at this point, the most he can hope for is a full boat 5 year MCE deal.

mikejones99
01-20-2008, 09:10 PM
if he started playing better all the teams would pay him $9 million a year or more.

Holmes_Fans
01-20-2008, 11:28 PM
He says that, but I am betting he signs for more money with an average playoff team. If he really cared about the NBA title he would sign for whatever keeps a serious contender under the cap and open to get other pieces. Not likely.

Reggie Miller
01-21-2008, 10:43 AM
Artest is either a very complicated individual, or he has the beginning of a disassociative disorder. I have no doubt that he means these things 100% when he says them, but then another aspect of his personality takes over. This other Ron may or may not live up to the statements.

I used to despise Artest for what he did to my team, but I actually feel sorry for him now. He really is a sad case. If anyone had cared about him, he should have received help in high school or college. Instead, it seems like everyone was too intent on keeping him on the court.

exstatic
01-21-2008, 11:19 AM
Artest is either a very complicated individual, or he has the beginning of a disassociative disorder. I have no doubt that he means these things 100% when he says them, but then another aspect of his personality takes over. This other Ron may or may not live up to the statements.

I used to despise Artest for what he did to my team, but I actually feel sorry for him now. He really is a sad case. If anyone had cared about him, he should have received help in high school or college. Instead, it seems like everyone was too intent on keeping him on the court.
I've gotten to where I pretty much ignore a person's quotes, and I just watch what actions they take. That's anyone in the public eye, not just Ron. :) You just cannot take people at face value any more. They'll say anything, and do just the opposite.

JamStone
01-21-2008, 11:39 AM
He will be a Knick or a Laker

yourcheatinheart
01-21-2008, 05:12 PM
if shawn marion decides to opt out i want this dude in suns uniform.