PDA

View Full Version : Nets and Pacers Discuss O'Neal/Carter Trade

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-20-2008, 11:43 AM
Nets talk to Pacers about Carter for O'Neal
Sunday, January 20, 2008
BY AL IANNAZZONE

Acquiring All-Star power forward Jermaine O'Neal remains a possibility for the Nets, but could cost them their own All-Star, Vince Carter.

The Nets and Pacers, who discussed a multiplayer swap involving O'Neal in June, renewed talks recently, according to league sources familiar with the conversations.

The new proposal would send Carter, Marcus Williams and Jamaal Magloire to Indiana for O'Neal. But O'Neal has a bone bruise in his knee that will sideline him at least two weeks.

Nothing is imminent, though, as O'Neal's health and $64 million salary through the 2009-10 season are real deterrents for the Nets.

In June, the Pacers wanted Richard Jefferson – provided they found a third team to take him -- Williams and Nenad Krstic for O'Neal. The Nets countered by removing Krstic and adding Jason Collins and Indiana declined.

The recent proposal seems riskier for the Nets.

Carter has been inconsistent since signing his four-year, $61.8 million deal in July. But the Nets would be giving up their go-to guy and best and most clutch shooter for a big man with knee issues and arguably enduring his worst season in seven years.

Plus, the Nets would become a luxury tax-paying team. O'Neal, 29, makes $19.7 million this season. The Nets would rather have Indiana take Collins (two years, $12.3 million) instead of Magloire (one year, $4 million) to alleviate the luxury-tax hit. But the Pacers don't want Collins.

Another possible glitch is Nets owner Bruce Ratner's affinity for Carter. Ratner may not want to part with the shooting guard.

O'Neal, who is averaging 15.3 points and 7.5 rebounds, is a post presence -- when healthy -- and teamed with Jason Kidd may make the Nets better equipped to play the Celtics, Pistons and Magic in the playoffs.

But the Nets likely would miss Carter's shooting, especially if O'Neal were to draw double teams in the post.

The Nets have to decide whether O'Neal, when healthy, makes them appreciably better and worth not only paying tax on, but giving up Carter.

Acquiring All-Star power forward Jermaine O'Neal remains a possibility for the Nets, but could cost them their own All-Star, Vince Carter.

The Nets and Pacers, who discussed a multiplayer swap involving O'Neal in June, renewed talks recently, according to league sources familiar with the conversations.

The new proposal would send Carter, Marcus Williams and Jamaal Magloire to Indiana for O'Neal. But O'Neal has a bone bruise in his knee that will sideline him at least two weeks.

Nothing is imminent, though, as O'Neal's health and $64 million salary through the 2009-10 season are real deterrents for the Nets.

In June, the Pacers wanted Richard Jefferson – provided they found a third team to take him -- Williams and Nenad Krstic for O'Neal. The Nets countered by removing Krstic and adding Jason Collins and Indiana declined.

The recent proposal seems riskier for the Nets.

Carter has been inconsistent since signing his four-year, $61.8 million deal in July. But the Nets would be giving up their go-to guy and best and most clutch shooter for a big man with knee issues and arguably enduring his worst season in seven years.

Plus, the Nets would become a luxury tax-paying team. O'Neal, 29, makes $19.7 million this season. The Nets would rather have Indiana take Collins (two years, $12.3 million) instead of Magloire (one year, $4 million) to alleviate the luxury-tax hit. But the Pacers don't want Collins.

Another possible glitch is Nets owner Bruce Ratner's affinity for Carter. Ratner may not want to part with the shooting guard.

O'Neal, who is averaging 15.3 points and 7.5 rebounds, is a post presence -- when healthy -- and teamed with Jason Kidd may make the Nets better equipped to play the Celtics, Pistons and Magic in the playoffs.

But the Nets likely would miss Carter's shooting, especially if O'Neal were to draw double teams in the post.

The Nets have to decide whether O'Neal, when healthy, makes them appreciably better and worth not only paying tax on, but giving up Carter.

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/nets/13927772.html

Armando
01-20-2008, 11:44 AM
Same difference for both teams

resistanze
01-20-2008, 12:57 PM
LOL @ Carter's shitty trade value. What with Toronto and drafting marshmallow stars?

exstatic
01-20-2008, 04:18 PM
What a sad state the Nets franchise has fallen into if that statement is true. Vince Carter is one of the largest vaginas in the league, and never met a pressure situation he could handle.

baseline bum
01-20-2008, 05:01 PM
I'm no O'Neal fan, but trading Half Man - Half Sit Out the Season for him is a no-brainer for New Jersey.

PacerFan
01-20-2008, 09:31 PM
God please let this happen. I am not a huge Carter fan, but O'Neals salary/lack of production is killing this team. Also, getting Marcus Williams would be huge too. Hopefully he could replace Tinsley ASAP.

AFBlue
01-20-2008, 09:49 PM
This trade scenario is puzzling for a few reasons...

1. If the Nets trade Williams don't they INCREASE their dependence on an aging Kidd?

2. By acquiring O'Neal, don't the Nets DECREASE the playing time for their promising rookie PF?

3. By acquiring Carter, don't the Pacers load up their backcourt and leave themselves entirely exposed on the frontcourt with no legitimate low-post threat? And no, Murphy is not a low-post threat.

I understand making moves to stir things up, but this one is questionable at best. I honestly don't think it leaves either team in better shape. If the trade does go down though, I think it means more for the Nets....who, if healthy, have a legitimate shot at playoff contention after making that move.

sribb43
01-20-2008, 10:44 PM
i dont understand why teams are interested in JO who has to have the worst knees in the league...once again he is going to miss 2 more weeks. he already cant practice or play in back to back games

Cry Havoc
01-20-2008, 11:49 PM
i dont understand why teams are interested in JO who has to have the worst knees in the league...once again he is going to miss 2 more weeks. he already cant practice or play in back to back games

So he's a worse risk than Carter? At least when JON is on the court he's giving effort.

td4mvp21
01-21-2008, 12:20 AM
This trade scenario is puzzling for a few reasons...

1. If the Nets trade Williams don't they INCREASE their dependence on an aging Kidd?

2. By acquiring O'Neal, don't the Nets DECREASE the playing time for their promising rookie PF?

3. By acquiring Carter, don't the Pacers load up their backcourt and leave themselves entirely exposed on the frontcourt with no legitimate low-post threat? And no, Murphy is not a low-post threat.

I understand making moves to stir things up, but this one is questionable at best. I honestly don't think it leaves either team in better shape. If the trade does go down though, I think it means more for the Nets....who, if healthy, have a legitimate shot at playoff contention after making that move.

If you're referring to Boone, why not start both him and O'Neal?

sribb43
01-21-2008, 08:23 AM
So he's a worse risk than Carter? At least when JON is on the court he's giving effort.

i wasnt specifically referring to the VC deal but just in general...how such an injury prone guy garners so much attention..He is on the decline due to his knee injuries and his #'s prove it his season

AFBlue
01-21-2008, 09:46 AM
If you're referring to Boone, why not start both him and O'Neal?

I was referring to Sean Williams.

With Nenad Kristic coming back and the other guy you mentioned biding for time, Williams might get the squeeze.

And he's been one of the positives for them this year. He has stayed out of trouble (his biggest weakness) and has performed well when on the court.

The arrival of Jermaine O'Neal, if healthy, will take away a good 30-35MPG of rotation time from the other bigs.

AFBlue
01-21-2008, 10:10 AM
Report: Pacers' O'Neal says he may sit out rest of season

The Indiana Pacers might have to try to qualify for the playoffs without one of their top players.

Center Jermaine O'Neal, who has been sidelined with a bruised left knee, told The Indianapolis Star for Monday's editions that he is willing to sit out the rest of the season to make sure his injury heals properly.

"That's really the prime option for me," O'Neal told the newspaper, referring to sitting out the rest of this season. "We're going to rehab now like it was the summer, with an extensive rehab. If that consists of a month or the rest of the season, I need to take the necessary steps to not come back on something that's not really healthy.

"That's the thing we have been saying. It's OK, but it really hasn't really been OK."

The Star reported that Pacers team president Larry Bird wasn't available for comment. On Saturday, the team issued a news release saying O'Neal would miss at least two weeks.

Last week, O'Neal said he was not fully healed from knee surgery to repair torn meniscus cartilage last April. He said he's surprised the healing process has been so slow.

O'Neal said he had trouble during last Wednesday's practice, but he started that night against Golden State. He left the game with 2:58 remaining in the first quarter after going scoreless and committing four turnovers in the first 9 minutes.

He is a six-time All-Star who averaged 19.4 points, 9.6 rebounds and 2.6 blocks last season, but has missed 89 games over the past 3½ seasons because of injuries, illnesses and suspensions. He has missed eight games this season.

"What's more important right now is doing the things necessary to get back healthy and also not have to get my whole damn knee replaced in 10 years," O'Neal told the Star.

The Pacers (18-23) are currently a half-game behind the New Jersey Nets (18-22) for the final Eastern Conference playoff spot.

This might put the damper on any trade scenarios involving O'Neal.

Reggie Miller
01-21-2008, 10:32 AM
This is like my worst nightmare. We finally unload O'Neal's albatross of a contract, just to take on Carter's even longer, crappier deal. If you look up "locker room cancer" in the dictionary, it becomes one of those Magic Eye books, where the picture looks like both TO and VC at the same time. It's uncanny!

Just shoot me now.

BacktoBasics
01-21-2008, 11:38 AM
Coming into the NBA early seems to be taking a toll on some of these early birds.

manufor3
01-21-2008, 01:49 PM
O'Neals salary/lack of production is killing this teamASAP.

It would be way better for Indiana :fro