PDA

View Full Version : Title Or No Title, One Thing's For Sure After This Season....

davi78239
01-20-2008, 12:22 PM
NEED TO GET YOUNGER AND LOSE ALL THE OLD GUYS. Get some D-Leaguers from Austin up on over here and some younger aquisitions over the offseason for crying out loud!

some_user86
01-20-2008, 12:37 PM
http://stoenworks.com/images/Louis%20Pasteur,%20images/Jumping%20ship.JPG

JUMP SHIP!

ClingingMars
01-20-2008, 12:39 PM
yikes...if we DO get a Title...

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

'cause the Trophy is all that matters.

-Mars

Carnac
01-20-2008, 12:39 PM
Tiago Splitter and Ian Mahinmi are coming.

davi78239
01-20-2008, 12:43 PM

Now that's what I'm talking about RIGHT THERE! Bring in some younger guns off the bench, and of course we'll have the big three.

BonnerDynasty
01-20-2008, 12:44 PM
Ducan and Manu are too old.

Get these guys outta here.

We shouldn't even let Bowen finish the season.

Please_dont_ban_me
01-20-2008, 12:46 PM
Getting younger implies rebuilding.

No team with Duncan / Parker / Manu will ever rebuild. (Unless you count the Jeremy Richardsons of the world)

ClingingMars
01-20-2008, 12:46 PM

yeah trade 'em while you still can

:lmao

-Mars

exstatic
01-20-2008, 12:48 PM
I think that's a given. Horry and Elson are almost surely gone, and one or both of Finley and Barry. That's a lot of "oldness" out the door. You slide Ime into the rotation, sign another wing, and bring Ian and 'Tiago on board.

itzsoweezee
01-20-2008, 12:54 PM
You . . . sign another wing

that's the key. but the spurs FO is really disgustingly cheap. you really think they're going to bring in a quality wing? i sincerely doubt it.

Please_dont_ban_me
01-20-2008, 12:59 PM
that's the key. but the spurs FO is really disgustingly cheap. you really think they're going to bring in a quality wing? i sincerely doubt it.

Sean Elliot.
Derek Anderson.
Stephen Jackson.
Manu Ginobilli.
Brent Barry.

Just a few good wings we've had over the past decade.

TDMVPDPOY
01-20-2008, 01:00 PM

dont forget sanikidz :D

we also have 3 picks i believe,

and about 10m under the cap to play with

exstatic
01-20-2008, 01:10 PM
Uh, Udoka is rotation quality and he was cheap. With Elson, Horry, and Finley/Barry coming off the rolls ($12-15M), I think they can pop for the MCE (all they can spend over the cap) and get someone good. Ian and 'Tiago will be rookie scale contracts.

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-20-2008, 02:28 PM
Now that's what I'm talking about RIGHT THERE! Bring in some younger guns off the bench, and of course we'll have the big three.
We've known this for quite a while. Why is this news to you?

chasky
01-20-2008, 03:01 PM
The spurs need fresh legs rigth NOW!!!!

Budkin
01-20-2008, 03:53 PM
It'll suck if we fail to repeat again, but next year's squad is going to kick ass with the cap room and additions we've got coming in.

SenorSpur
01-20-2008, 04:54 PM

They'd better bring in a wing.

Corey Maggette
Mikael Pietrus
Hakim Warrick
James Jones

ricketts
01-20-2008, 05:10 PM

your just angry 'cause everyone was trashing bonner about his no brain brick last night.

cherylsteele
01-20-2008, 06:30 PM
Re: Title Or No Title, One Thing's For Sure After This Season....
People will bitch and moan, no matter what happens.

41times
01-20-2008, 06:33 PM
http://stoenworks.com/images/Louis%20Pasteur,%20images/Jumping%20ship.JPG

JUMP SHIP!

Here you guys go again, jumping ship. Last year it was the same thing at this time of year. You guys were in the midst of a 13-12 stretch and everybody was panicking.

Anybody who jumps ship at this point is crazy. At least wait until March will ya! :spin

exstatic
01-20-2008, 06:39 PM
It'll suck if we fail to repeat again, but next year's squad is going to kick ass with the cap room and additions we've got coming in.
Believe it or not, the Spurs will have NO CAP ROOM, even with up to $15M coming off the books. They still have $53M in committed salaries for eight players next season, and that already includes Ian. They'll have the MCE, the LLE, and minimum and vet min contracts to offer.

Russ
01-20-2008, 09:59 PM
Bonner's young. :lol :lol :lol

jay014
01-20-2008, 10:18 PM

Josh Smith would be great even if it meant so long Manu.We need to get younger. I'd keep Duncan though. Bowen should finish the season coming off the bench. I know defense wins championships, but you also have to score to win.

Mr. Body
01-20-2008, 10:34 PM
Next year's team will look a lot like this year's team, with one or two, maybe three of the greybeards sloughed off and new players coming in. But there's not a lot of ability to change the team composition, although we at least have Mahinmi and Splitter coming in. I don't expect any big changes, much less a decent free agent coming in. It's never happened and never will, and any immediate relief from draft picks this summer is likely too much to ask for. All said and done, it'll be a good team next year, but will go through the same problems the current team is going through.

WalterBenitez
01-20-2008, 10:51 PM
NEED TO GET YOUNGER AND LOSE ALL THE OLD GUYS. Get some D-Leaguers from Austin up on over here and some younger aquisitions over the offseason for crying out loud!

That xtra weigth must be cleared ... at this point TD, TP, Manu, Bruce will be playing in their 40s

m33p0
01-21-2008, 06:29 AM
dont forget sanikidz :D

we also have 3 picks i believe,

and about 10m under the cap to play with
those and the possibility of winning a championship are the clincher to bring in a high profile player. and if ian and splitter work out well for the spurs next season, LOOK OUT!

m33p0
01-21-2008, 06:32 AM
Believe it or not, the Spurs will have NO CAP ROOM, even with up to $15M coming off the books. They still have $53M in committed salaries for eight players next season, and that already includes Ian. They'll have the MCE, the LLE, and minimum and vet min contracts to offer.
next season will suck for the spurs. but the succeeding years won't especially when duncan's extension kicks in. the spurs will have the cap space to sign/trade players.

genomefreak13
01-21-2008, 07:02 AM

Are you a spurs fan? You sure to know how to destroy a good team.

ajh18
01-21-2008, 09:58 AM
Athleticism and youth are the two most easily replacable, overvalued traits an nba player can have. How many "young teams with a ton of potential" in the last decade have actually won anything? Older players who are still in the league after several years are proven commodities becuase the "talent" of their class that never panned out has already been whittled away.

If you're starting a team from scratch, sure, bring in a bunch of young guys and hope that one or two of them turn into something special based on their "potential". If you have a team of proven veterans, bring in experienced role players who want to win a title, and keep one or two young guys around to develop into role players down the road.

SenorSpur
01-21-2008, 11:45 AM
Athleticism and youth are the two most easily replacable, overvalued traits an nba player can have. How many "young teams with a ton of potential" in the last decade have actually won anything? Older players who are still in the league after several years are proven commodities becuase the "talent" of their class that never panned out has already been whittled away.

There are pros and cons with both philosophies. However it's long proven that in order to win in this league - there's no doubt that you need veterans. That's why it's hard to argue with the Spurs philosophy because they've been as successful as anyone could have ever imagined.

With the Big Three on board, the Spurs are setup to extend this run. However, at some point the FO needs to replace parts around them. Every year, these mid-season lulls make us all wonder if the FO waited too long to replace the old heads.

If you're starting a team from scratch, sure, bring in a bunch of young guys and hope that one or two of them turn into something special based on their "potential". If you have a team of proven veterans, bring in experienced role players who want to win a title, and keep one or two young guys around to develop into role players down the road.

Good philosophy. That's exactly what I wish the Spurs would do. However aside from Manu and TP, they have NO young players on the active roster. Who are the next set of core players for this team? Ian? Splitter? Udoka? The fact is we don't know yet, because none have been fully acclimated into the Spurs system yet. Sure we have some D-league propsects, but we the jury is still out on them all.

My point has always been a slow, gradual infusion of a young player or two would give this or any roster the energy jolt that seems to be lacking during these "dog days" of winter.

exstatic
01-21-2008, 11:55 AM
those and the possibility of winning a championship are the clincher to bring in a high profile player. and if ian and splitter work out well for the spurs next season, LOOK OUT!
Repeat after me: The Spurs will have no cap room until 2010. They will be well under the tax, but that is all. There will be no big player coming on board in 2008 unless he signs for the MCE, which isn't happening.

nfg3
01-21-2008, 12:01 PM
If you have a team of proven veterans, bring in experienced role players who want to win a title, and keep one or two young guys around to develop into role players down the road. :tu

This seems to be the FO's plan and so far it's working. The Big 3 need to have complimentary role players now in order to win. They don't have time to develop younger players who will be stars in the future. Once TD retires we'll have plenty of time to develop our younger players IMO.

SenorSpur
01-21-2008, 12:59 PM
:tu

This seems to be the FO's plan and so far it's working. The Big 3 need to have complimentary role players now in order to win. They don't have time to develop younger players who will be stars in the future. Once TD retires we'll have plenty of time to develop our younger players IMO.

Continued success will hinge on the FO's ability to select the right complimentary players.

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-21-2008, 01:57 PM
Old guys don't worry too much about games played in January.

Ghost Writer
01-21-2008, 02:37 PM
I agree that the Spurs need to get younger, but I prefer a nice mix of energetic, hungry players and experienced, wily veterans.

One thing that I don't like is all the players with redundant skill sets:

Elson/Oberto

Horry/Bonner

Finley/Barry

I'd like to see some guys that are capable of taking their man off the dribble and creating their own shot.

A swingman with skills would be awesome.

:cooldevil

SenorSpur
01-21-2008, 04:11 PM
I agree that the Spurs need to get younger, but I prefer a nice mix of energetic, hungry players and experienced, wily veterans.

One thing that I don't like is all the players with redundant skill sets:

Elson/Oberto

Horry/Bonner

Finley/Barry

I'd like to see some guys that are capable of taking their man off the dribble and creating their own shot.

A swingman with skills would be awesome.

:cooldevil

Thank you Mr. Ghost Writer!

Finally someone agrees!

A better balance of skills from the wing players is desparately needed. Manu and TP are the only players on the roster who can slash. Finley, Barry, and Bowen are long in the tooth and have the same offensive limitations.

A swingman with a combination of those skills, who can shoot the three and is a capable defender would be absolutely ideal

e20dylan
01-21-2008, 04:40 PM
barry is a beast. most likely finley/elson are gone i HOPE we keep barry and bonner. RED BONE!!

Don Quixote
01-21-2008, 08:05 PM
NEED TO GET YOUNGER AND LOSE ALL THE OLD GUYS. Get some D-Leaguers from Austin up on over here and some younger acquisitions over the offseason for crying out loud!

Yes! That's exactly what the Silver & Black need. A squad of D-leaguers! Then we'll be able to compete with the NBA's elite.

Can't wait to see that one happen.

Matches Malone
01-22-2008, 01:04 PM
"A swingman with a combination of those skills, who can shoot the three and is a capable defender would be absolutely ideal", SenorSpur?

That's why Ime Udoka was signed for. So until BB retires, we will have BB, Ime, and your new ideal swingman.

Status quo.

SenorSpur
01-22-2008, 01:15 PM
"A swingman with a combination of those skills, who can shoot the three and is a capable defender would be absolutely ideal", SenorSpur?

That's why Ime Udoka was signed for. So until BB retires, we will have BB, Ime, and your new ideal swingman.

Status quo.

Since both BB and Finley's contract are up, it's conceivable that at least one of them, or possibly both, will not be here next year.

Ime is a good pickup and looks like a solid player (on both ends). However at 6'5", he lacks the size and length that the Spurs would ideally like to have at this position.

We all know the age at the swingman spot has been an issue for a couple of seasons. Finding the so-called "Bowen replacement" or the "long-three man" has been a very popular subject on this board for a few seasons. Until the Spurs solve this equation with another acquisition or two, nothing has changed.