PDA

View Full Version : What I really hope for this primary

Ryvin1
01-20-2008, 05:06 PM
My hope for our great nation is that everyone votes during the upcoming Primary, and they vote for the candidate that truly best represents them. That people vote for the candidate that they believe best addresses the most important issues that we face as a nation. We often hear the common complaint about voting for the "lesser of two evils" when voting for president, but many don't realize how important this choice during the primaries is, because currently in our country you really only have a chance to become president if you are a member of one of these two parties.

Don't rely on the debates as the form of research to make this choice. Doing that is taking a major topic like "The Economy of the largest super power in the free world" and truncating it into the clif note 30 second sound bite, or worse just read the recap of the debate retold by someone else that truncates all the 30 second sound bites that somehow address all the major issues of the free world into a nice 45 second read. If you watch the debates, please remember most of what each candidate says may not even be true. You can check http://www.factcheck.org/ as they seem like a great impartial resource that goes to great lengths to validate or disprove each statement said by every candidate, pointing out when each candidate might over or under state achievements, or just be straight up incorrect.

We go to great lengths researching when we buy a house or a car, and this choice is something I believe is equally important. Please go to each candidate's website and read how they plan to address the issues, and find the one that you believe makes the most sense to you, and best represents you. Check the candidates past voting record to see if they are saying things different now then how they have voted in the past. History more then likely repeats it self with a person's actions then it will follow the lip service that is played to try to win someone's vote.

Vote for the person you believe in, no matter what others tell you. This is where many people try to beat the system and be "smart", but really end up playing into someone's else hands because they abandon what they truly believe, and validate things they don't believe. If for some reason the person you choose doesn't get the nomination, your vote of your beliefs still plays an important role. Who does get the nomination from either party will give those ideas merit if they want to get your vote for president, and if enough people stand for their beliefs even if it's not the majority, they will take notice and those ideas will become topics of debate, because they want your vote. When you vote for someone you are validating their position and ideas, please don't back someone because you don't like someone else, there is no memo field on your vote that lets the person you voted for know you only did it because you don't like the other person and thought he was only person with a chance to beat the candidate you don't like. They will just think they must be right because they got your vote.

Many people believe when they vote for the president their vote doesn't matter. During the primaries it actually does. Please research, use common sense and vote for the representative that best represents you. Own your vote.

Nbadan
01-21-2008, 11:49 PM
For the first time, well, ever, the Texas Primaries may actually mean something...usually by the time TX comes around the chosen candidates are already busy palming contributions from future lobbyist cronies...unfortunately, it looks like TX Democrats like Hillary...

SouthernFried
01-22-2008, 01:28 AM
This is what Libertarians have been saying for...well, forever.

Ross Perot supporters said that, and now Ron Paul supporters are saying it. Bill Clinton got elected because of this...like him, or not, almost 20% of the Republican vote went to Perot. To my discredit...mine did too.

So, imho...Ron Paul supporters are right now taking away votes from more conservative candidates that have a chance. Candidates like McCain and Huckabee benefit the most. The more people vote for Paul, the more likely someone like McCain has a chance. Again...like it or not, that's just the reality. Paul has no chance, and never has had a chance.

I will vote for a Libertarian leaning candidate when I feel they've garnered enough support to make them truely viable. Until then, I will vote for the most conservative of the candidates that actually have a shot at winning.

The lesser of two evils? Ayup...I will always take lesser evil, over more.

DarkReign
01-22-2008, 10:26 AM
This is what Libertarians have been saying for...well, forever.

Ross Perot supporters said that, and now Ron Paul supporters are saying it. Bill Clinton got elected because of this...like him, or not, almost 20% of the Republican vote went to Perot. To my discredit...mine did too.

So, imho...Ron Paul supporters are right now taking away votes from more conservative candidates that have a chance. Candidates like McCain and Huckabee benefit the most. The more people vote for Paul, the more likely someone like McCain has a chance. Again...like it or not, that's just the reality. Paul has no chance, and never has had a chance.

I will vote for a Libertarian leaning candidate when I feel they've garnered enough support to make them truely viable. Until then, I will vote for the most conservative of the candidates that actually have a shot at winning.

The lesser of two evils? Ayup...I will always take lesser evil, over more.

Again, Ross Perot was leading the polls, ALL national polls when he mysteriously dropped out of the race. Then he again mysteriously put himself back in the mix.

Ross Perot is a perplexing individual. He would have won the Presidency if he hadnt dropped out. The first non-R, non-D in our history and he dropped out.

Why?

xrayzebra
01-22-2008, 10:42 AM
Again, Ross Perot was leading the polls, ALL national polls when he mysteriously dropped out of the race. Then he again mysteriously put himself back in the mix.

Ross Perot is a perplexing individual. He would have won the Presidency if he hadnt dropped out. The first non-R, non-D in our history and he dropped out.

Why?

Because he is a idiot with a bad haircut. Hear that
giant sucking sound. That's him trying breath life
back into himself.

JoeChalupa
01-22-2008, 11:46 AM
Nice post Ryvin1. :tu

Holt's Cat
01-23-2008, 01:45 AM
Vote your conscience or get paid well for selling it out.

SouthernFried
01-23-2008, 02:12 AM

Why?

IMHO, Ross Perot never wanted to win. His goal was to make sure Bush SR. didn't. When he was leading the polls, and actually had a shot...he "mysteriously" went awol. I don't think there's any mystery to it, his desire to stop Bush Sr. was all he was after...and he succeeded.

I feel like a fool for voting for him.

Btw, Perot's got it for McCain as well. When McCain was a prisoner of war, he begged Perot to take care of his wife and family.

Perot did this.

When McCain got back home, he dumped his wife for a richer, better connected new wife. Perot has never forgiven him.

Wild Cobra
01-23-2008, 03:34 AM
All I know about the time period was I voted for Perot. I was naive enough to not see what was going on.

Perot received 18.9% of the vote. Most of his voters would have voted for president Bush (41) otherwise. President Clinton won the election with a 43% majority vs. 37.45 for president Bush. If 2/3 of the Perot voters voted for president Bush, and 1/3 voted for Clinton... President Bush would have been a two term president.

I said this before, and I'll say it again....

This will happen again if someone like Ron Paul runs as an independent. The republican vote will splinter enough to insure a democrat win.

JoeChalupa
01-23-2008, 09:21 AM
I like Ron Paul.

DarkReign
01-23-2008, 12:18 PM
This will happen again if someone like Ron Paul runs as an independent. The republican vote will splinter enough to insure a democrat win.

While that is true when referring to Perot, it isnt nearly as damaging to Repubs this go around with Paul because Paul has run in the Repub primary.

If he opts out and runs as an independant, numerous states have laws against having his name on the ballot come election time.