PDA

View Full Version : Formatting External Hard drive to FAT32

Slydragon
01-20-2008, 06:56 PM
What program can I do this with? my pc will only do NTFS, I did it with my pc then my PS3 would not see it, it needs to be FAT32. So I downloaded a program off the HDD web site to change it back to FAT32 and it says it work, sometimes. My pc sees it as "RAW" and when it does see it as FAT32 I try to copy stuff over and it says it cant, cyclic redundancy check comes up.

I have been messing with this 2 days straight and if I can't get this thing to work I am going to break it or give it away because as long as it's in the house I will continue to mess with it.

DannyT
01-20-2008, 07:26 PM
it DOESNT WORK just give it me and i will save you the trouble

Lance
01-20-2008, 07:36 PM
Disk Format Considerations

The two prevalent file system formats for PCs are FAT32 and NTFS. Performance is very similar between the two systems.

NTFS is a newer file system that is compatible only with Windows NT, Windows 2000, and Windows XP. It has fewer limitations than FAT32 and will enable a partition to be created that is larger the 32GB.

FAT32 is a file system that is compatible with Windows 98SE, Windows ME, Windows 2000, and Windows XP. In Windows 2000 and Windows XP, you will not be able to create a partition greater than 32GB (using FAT32).

Use FAT32 if:
1: You will be dual booting/accessing data with an Operating System other than Windows NT/2000/XP.
2: You may need the ability to dual boot down the line. Once you have converted a volume from NTFS to FAT32 there is no going back. You can convert from FAT32 to NTFS, but not from NTFS to FAT32.
3: You want to connect to a Mac and have access to the data.
Please note that MacOS cannot support FAT32 partitions greater than 128GB.

Use NTFS if:
1: You want to encrypt files, assigning permissions to files, or want to audit files for access.
2: You will be formatting partitions larger than 32GB.
3: You need to store individual files that are larger than 4GB, or you use a backup program that writes large files.
4: You need a filing system that can be mirrored or structured like a RAID 5 configuration.

Some sites offering formatting procedures/instructions/other:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tre...ocs/format.asp

http://support.microsoft.com/default...;EN-US;q314463

http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;Q326673

http://www.windowsreinstall.com/inst...ent_XPfull.htm

http://www.auldfart.co.uk/howto/xpformat.html

http://www.buildeasypc.com/sw/windows_xp.htm

nacho
01-20-2008, 07:40 PM
What brand is your HD?

Slydragon
01-20-2008, 07:49 PM
It's a Western Digital My Book Premium Edition 250gb

http://www.licasdigital.com/assets/images/Archives...bloodyarchives_B8B7/western_digital_MyBook_Premium_1C10.jpg

exstatic
01-20-2008, 08:26 PM
The straightest line between two points might be for you to find someone with an older PC running '98 SE or maybe Win2K and have them format it for you.

Un-fucking-believable that Sony uses state of the art Blu-Ray lasers with the PS3, but doesn't support NTFS, the gold standard for Windows file systems, and something that's been around since Windows NT.

Slydragon
01-20-2008, 10:36 PM
I was going to just say what the hell and formatted it to NTFS and only use my Xbox 360 to watch movies and music, But that also will not see NTFS hdd. WTF I can see Sony not using a Microsoft format but the Xbox not even using it. This sucks.

spurster
01-20-2008, 10:58 PM
The program from this link:

http://downloads.pcworld.com/pub/new/utilities/peripherals/SP27608.exe

is for external USB drives.

Cant_Be_Faded
01-20-2008, 11:17 PM
ROFL...fat32..

you can change via msdos look up the prompt code thingie online

Nbadan
01-21-2008, 12:59 AM
...get a copy of partition magic and partition half your external HD in Fat 30 and half in NTFS....then get a boot skin to boot the selected partition....

Slomo
01-21-2008, 05:55 AM
The straightest line between two points might be for you to find someone with an older PC running '98 SE or maybe Win2K and have them format it for you.

Un-fucking-believable that Sony uses state of the art Blu-Ray lasers with the PS3, but doesn't support NTFS, the gold standard for Windows file systems, and something that's been around since Windows NT.Actually it makes a lot of sense. NTFS is a propriatary file system from Microsoft. It's subject to licensing and if I remember correctly not entirely documented (at least outside MS). I'm not even sure if MS actually sells licenses for NTFS since all docs I've ever seen on the subject were from reverse engineered sources.

FAT32 is a standard file system that most if not all OS can use. The restrictions of FAT32 vs.NTFS are really small while performance is more or less the same (the 32GB volume size is artificially implemented by MS, the real limit volume size is 8TB). The main reason it is implemented in so many removable storage devices is that it was concidered to be license free, because the MS patent applications were rejected based on the fact that several other companies (IBM, Xerox) were developing similar files systems at the time and that FAT was the result of all this development.
Unfortunately MS sued and in 2006 was granted patents pertaining to FAT thus effectively enabling them to start selling licences for FAT.

MS has provided a tool to convert files from FAT to NTFS but not the other way round - because they don't want to.

As it is often the case the root of the problem is not technical but financial/legal.

Slomo
01-21-2008, 06:01 AM
The reason why you don't see the FAT32 option in your format menu is because they've decided not to put it there.

If you do not mind losing all data on your external disk, the solution is to delete the partition first, then create a new partition on it and format the new partition in FAT32.

You can do this either using Disk utility software like Partition manager or Partition magic. You can even do it with Windows' Administrative tools (Computer management).

Be very careful that when you delete a partition that you are sure you're doing it to the correct disk - if you mess up you could have to re-install your PC. You can't "un-delete" a partition.

Big Worm
01-21-2008, 02:36 PM
Why is it FAT32 and not FAT33?

Should I ask TPark?

Cant_Be_Faded
01-21-2008, 08:18 PM
Fat32 is useless for your purposes

unless you want to start a pizzacomputer band

Latka
01-21-2008, 09:22 PM
Why is it FAT32 and not FAT33?

Should I ask TPark?

You should.

He loves to help minority races.

exstatic
01-21-2008, 10:56 PM
Actually it makes a lot of sense. NTFS is a propriatary file system from Microsoft. It's subject to licensing and if I remember correctly not entirely documented (at least outside MS). I'm not even sure if MS actually sells licenses for NTFS since all docs I've ever seen on the subject were from reverse engineered sources.

FAT32 is a standard file system that most if not all OS can use. The restrictions of FAT32 vs.NTFS are really small while performance is more or less the same (the 32GB volume size is artificially implemented by MS, the real limit volume size is 8TB). The main reason it is implemented in so many removable storage devices is that it was concidered to be license free, because the MS patent applications were rejected based on the fact that several other companies (IBM, Xerox) were developing similar files systems at the time and that FAT was the result of all this development.
Unfortunately MS sued and in 2006 was granted patents pertaining to FAT thus effectively enabling them to start selling licences for FAT.

MS has provided a tool to convert files from FAT to NTFS but not the other way round - because they don't want to.

As it is often the case the root of the problem is not technical but financial/legal.
Ah, that's rich: Sony running into someone ELSE'S proprietary wall. :lol

Nbadan
01-21-2008, 11:03 PM
Guess he decided to sell instead....http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/sys/547216410.html

mouse
01-21-2008, 11:10 PM
Actually it makes a lot of sense. NTFS is a propriatary file system from Microsoft. It's subject to licensing and if I remember correctly not entirely documented (at least outside MS). I'm not even sure if MS actually sells licenses for NTFS since all docs I've ever seen on the subject were from reverse engineered sources.

wow after reading Slomo's post I feel like i just gave birth to a Dell.

Hey Slomo you have an extra pocket protector I can borrow?

what I don't get is why someone who can afford the best PC and external drives just can't go get the latest game system and not rely on the PC unless................oh shit! ....these are downloaded games from the www never mind...my bad.

:wakeup

Slydragon
01-22-2008, 12:45 AM
OK, Slomo Thanks for the info. I did try partition magic and it would see my external hdd and would only let me set it to NTFS but my 2 internal drives it would let me format to FAT 32 but not the external one. It was pissing me off. So I formatted it to NTFS and tried to back up music and photos but it would always give me a error even if it was just 1 file I wanted to copy.

spurster, Thank you so very much. I tried it and it open up and saw my external hdd and ask if I wanted it formatted to FAT 32. I thought ok this seem to easy and tried it and it freaking work, now my PS3 and Xbox see it and play all my music and movies. Thank you once again :toast

Took my forever to back up my stuff about 100 gb of music photos and movies from my hdd camcorder.

Steve Perry
01-22-2008, 01:25 AM
That ain't shit!

this very system sold in this very forum for only 100.00 dollars a few weeks ago!

:wakeup

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/sys/535017623.html

Slomo
01-22-2008, 03:58 AM
Ah, that's rich: Sony running into someone ELSE'S proprietary wall. :lolIt happens all the time. Everybody behaves the exact same way, that's why I don't get the SONY hate, because they are all equally bad (at least the big corps are). We, the consumer overpaid VHS for years, because JVC closely controled the licenses. There's a lot more examples like that.

Personally MS is on top of my shit list, since they managed to patent a lot of stuff that they didn't really develop. MS is more about good lawyers than about inovations. At least JVC, SONY, INTEL and others developed their shit - and then proceeded to act like pricks with it.

Make no mistakes it's you and me who end up footing the bill.

Slydragon: It didn't allow you to format with FAT32 after you deleted the partition, then created a new one? Did you commit the changes between the deletion and creation?
If you did it's definitely not normal behavior. Anyway gladd you eventually solved it.

Slydragon
01-22-2008, 04:07 AM
Slomo, partition magic would not let me do much on my external one. When I click a internal one it showed way more options but when I click the external one it would show about half the options. Maybe I did it wrong, but it's working now. (So Far)

Slomo
01-22-2008, 05:06 AM
...but it's working now. (So Far)That's the main thing :tu

TDMVPDPOY
01-22-2008, 05:40 AM
it helps when you dont have fag poon on ur hdd....

Slydragon
01-22-2008, 05:53 AM
it helps when you dont have fag poon on ur hdd....

That's was not my issue, Sounds like you know that first hand tho.