PDA

View Full Version : Spurs re-sign Richardson

tomcat
01-20-2008, 07:45 PM
Will he just be a practice player or will Spurs deactivate someone?

Or, will the Spurs be allowed to cut him and send him to Austin or does he go back to Mad Ants?

Like to see him go to Toros in case Johnson or Langford get called away.

exstatic
01-20-2008, 08:03 PM
I think our resident D-League experts say that he does back the the Ants if we cut him loose...unless a trade can be made.

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-20-2008, 11:12 PM
Spurs sign G Richardson

January 20, 2008
SAN ANTONIO (TICKER) -- The San Antonio Spurs on Sunday re-signed swingman Jeremy Richardson, who originally signed with the team on January 10.

Richardson, 23, has played in three games for the Spurs, averaging 1.7 points.

The 6-7, 195-pound Richardson was signed by the Memphis Grizzlies on December 20 but did not score a point in three games with Grizzlies before being waived on January 7.

Prior to joining the Grizzlies, he played with Fort Wayne of the NBA's D-League, averaging a league-high 28.5 points in eight contests.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=txspursrichardson&prov=st&type=lgns

duncan228
01-20-2008, 11:17 PM
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85392

loveforthegame
01-20-2008, 11:28 PM
I was surprised to hear this because he won't get any minutes unless a trade is made or one of the wings get hurt.

How many 10 day contracts can you sign? Maybe they just use him for insurance for the rodeo road trip then cut him loose?

ChumpDumper
01-20-2008, 11:45 PM
Two 10-days, then the team has to sign him for the rest of the season or let him go. I figure they could go either way with him since he would be signed more for next season than this one.

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-20-2008, 11:56 PM
How is he going to get time to prove he's worth keeping around?
Everyone's healthy.

ChumpDumper
01-20-2008, 11:57 PM
Everyone's healthy.We're talking about practice.

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-20-2008, 11:58 PM
We're talking about practice.
:lol I see...

Que Gee
01-21-2008, 12:18 AM
Everyone's healthy.

He is going to start tomorrow.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-21-2008, 12:33 AM
Talking about long 3s, any chance we can prize Linas Kleiza away from Denver?

He's long, he can shoot, he was a power player so he's tough and a good rebounder... sounds like just the guy we need to me!

Ice009
01-21-2008, 12:50 AM
He is going to start tomorrow.

Are you serious?

Ice009
01-21-2008, 12:51 AM
Talking about long 3s, any chance we can prize Linas Kleiza away from Denver?

He's long, he can shoot, he was a power player so he's tough and a good rebounder... sounds like just the guy we need to me!

Didn't he score 41 points a few days ago? I doubt Denver is going to trade him after showing them he can do that.

Que Gee
01-21-2008, 01:30 AM
Are you serious?

Ya. Also, Manu is probably going to start as well.

timvp
01-21-2008, 01:33 AM
Ya. Also, Manu is probably going to start as well.That sounds like a lot of players starting . . .

Que Gee
01-21-2008, 01:39 AM
That sounds like a lot of players starting . . .

Manu and Richardson in...Tony, Tim...and bruce? thats 5. by my count

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-21-2008, 01:44 AM
Manu and Richardson in...Tony, Tim...and bruce? thats 5. by my count

So we're going to start a smallball lineup with Jeremy Richardson involved... where are you getting this from? :lol

As for Kleiza, just looked it up, and he's on his rookie contract until the end of 08-09, so no way we have a shot at him. He'd fit like a glove here though, I'm sure of that. I've been high on the kid since following him last year when he was on my fantasy team and finished the season strong.

T Park
01-21-2008, 01:45 AM
Waste of time with this kid IMO.

He looks like another James White.

timvp
01-21-2008, 01:45 AM
Manu and Richardson in...Tony, Tim...and bruce? thats 5. by my countPop is going to start a super small ball lineup? I guess if you are going to start an off the wall small ball lineup, it'd be against Charlotte.

That lineup is so crazy I can't say I believe it but I wouldn't be surprised. The Que Gee info is usually on target.

T Park
01-21-2008, 01:47 AM
benching Finley and Oberto for a 10 day contract guy and a guy that plays his best off the bench?

Just doesn't seem real.

timvp
01-21-2008, 01:49 AM
benching Finley and Oberto for a 10 day contract guy and a guy that plays his best off the bench?

Just doesn't seem real.We'll find out in 11 hours.

T Park
01-21-2008, 01:52 AM
It just doesn't seem like something pop would do.

Hes not big on games before February, but this is something he would do in October to "get Manu ready" and to preview a player, ala sitting Vaughn and Parker to play the crap out of Darius Washington.

I just can't believe Jeremy Richardson would dress, let alone start. Whos gonna not dress? Elson?

I could go for that, but is Richardson that good? He just looks to me like in another long line of D League SFs in that hes got athleticism, but, eh...

Kori Ellis
01-21-2008, 02:29 AM
Que Gee usually knows what he's talking about. I'm not suprised Pop would go super small against Charlotte. Though kind of surprised it would be Richardson/Manu rather than someone else with Manu. Richardson must be really impressive in practice. Or they must really be disappointed in the effort by Oberto/Elson/Bonner/Horry lately.

I'm guessing in that scenario, Bowen would guard GWallace, which is what he would do anyway. So it's not that bad matchup-wise.

Interesting.

We'll see! Thanks for the info, Que Gee.

T Park
01-21-2008, 02:31 AM
Wow.

He must be. To go from non active to starter in a matter of 2 games :lol

I'm not saying I don't believe it. I'm just a little taken aback by it.

Kori Ellis
01-21-2008, 02:32 AM
I'm not saying I don't believe it. I'm just a little taken aback by it.

:lol Me too.

T Park
01-21-2008, 02:33 AM
:lol @ Kori's title

ChumpDumper
01-21-2008, 02:56 AM
I just thought he was joking. I guess it would shake things up.

Dingle Barry
01-21-2008, 02:58 AM
I'm glad I read further to discover that Que Gee is some sort of insider before blasting him/her.

Starting a 10-day contract would be just too fucking nuts. I refuse to believe it.

Das Texan
01-21-2008, 09:32 AM
The better story is who gets taken off the 12 man if Richardson does well today.....

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-21-2008, 09:36 AM
The better story is who gets taken off the 12 man if Richardson does well today.....
Pray to the Lord it be Elson.

MoSpur
01-21-2008, 09:41 AM
Well, didn't Pop say sometime earlier that there would be changes if things didn't get better or soemthing like that?

Tu Pac
01-21-2008, 12:02 PM
We're talking about practice.

Practice?

Kori Ellis
01-21-2008, 01:02 PM
Well Que Gee was right. Richardson is starting in Oberto's place.

timvp
01-21-2008, 01:03 PM
He is going to start tomorrow.Richardson is officially starting.

Nice call :fro

ttdog
01-21-2008, 01:03 PM
Que Gee usually knows what he's talking about. I'm not suprised Pop would go super small against Charlotte. Though kind of surprised it would be Richardson/Manu rather than someone else with Manu. Richardson must be really impressive in practice. Or they must really be disappointed in the effort by Oberto/Elson/Bonner/Horry lately.

I'm guessing in that scenario, Bowen would guard GWallace, which is what he would do anyway. So it's not that bad matchup-wise.

Interesting.

We'll see! Thanks for the info, Que Gee.

Wow! Bill Schoenig just confirmed it. Richardson is starting!

loveforthegame
01-21-2008, 01:05 PM
None of the other call ups got the chance Richardson is getting today. I hope he makes the most of it and we see what the Spurs see in him.

Mr. Body
01-21-2008, 01:12 PM
That little 12-year old must be pissing his pants in excitement right about now.

timvp
01-21-2008, 01:21 PM
Either Richardson was a hoss in practice .............. or Pop really doesn't care about winning :lol

Dingle Barry
01-21-2008, 01:25 PM
Que Gee is legit. Wow.

tav1
01-21-2008, 02:21 PM
If the Spurs do sign J-Rich, then I assume they will do so with at least the following two intentions: 1) they would assign him to Austin and 2) there is a strong change they seem him being on the squad next season, assuming some of the free minutes left by the departure of Finley and Barry. If this is the case, Richardson will probably sign an inexpensive multi-year deal with an option.

This is important to me because I envisioned the Spurs going after two fairly decent wings in the offseason and one inexpensive vet big to play along with Bonner, Oberto, Mahinmi, Splitter or a vet minimum pg. If Richardson works out, this could change that.

If Richardson works out, what do you think that portends for the upcoming trade deadline and free agent season, if anything?

Udoka is ahead of where I thought he would be at this point in the season and Richardson would presumably come in to next season with a decent understanding of the system.

Mr. Body
01-21-2008, 03:16 PM
This is a move akin to retiring AJ's jersey. It's a bit drastic (this more than the other), but it's intended to light a fire under people's asses.

remingtonbo2001
01-21-2008, 03:26 PM
Do you guys really think Finley is retiring next year?

Seriously?!?.....I still think he has at least 2 years left in the tank.

You need to keep at least 5 vets on board that know the system. I think Finley is definitely one of those 5 you keep.

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-21-2008, 03:26 PM
If the Spurs do sign J-Rich, then I assume they will do so with at least the following two intentions: 1) they would assign him to Austin and 2) there is a strong change they seem him being on the squad next season, assuming some of the free minutes left by the departure of Finley and Barry. If this is the case, Richardson will probably sign an inexpensive multi-year deal with an option.

This is important to me because I envisioned the Spurs going after two fairly decent wings in the offseason and one inexpensive vet big to play along with Bonner, Oberto, Mahinmi, Splitter or a vet minimum pg. If Richardson works out, this could change that.

If Richardson works out, what do you think that portends for the upcoming trade deadline and free agent season, if anything?

Udoka is ahead of where I thought he would be at this point in the season and Richardson would presumably come in to next season with a decent understanding of the system.

First off, I wouldn't count on anything at the deadline. If there's any trade at the deadline, it will be a minor trade that won't significantly affect the rotation.

Keeping Richardson next year would show a lot about him. He comes in halfway through the season and is able to show enough to keep him on the roster the following season.

That being said, assuming he comes back next season, I would say it is pretty much guaranteed Finley or (or should I say nor? :cooldevil) Barry will not be back. My money is on Barry. Either way, I'm gonna miss those guys.

Let's say we sign Richardson for a 3 year contract for cheap. This would mean that the Spurs can change their direction in the draft assuming they were already looking for the wing replacement through the draft. They can then look for a point guard (or give Darius Washington, or dare I say, Vassilis Spanoulis another shot) or the long 3. Keep in mind that this is all based on the progress of Richardson.

If he does turn out to be a nice player, we're in a great situation. :)

Roster outlook next year if Richardson makes it:

C OBERTO/SPLITTER
PF DUNCAN/BONNER/MAHINMI
SF BOWEN/UDOKA
SG RICHARDSON/MANU/(Finley, Barry, or other wing)
PG TONY/(other point guard)/VAUGHN

List of players we should look at:
Draft:
Brandon Rush (wing)
Luc Richard Mbah a Moute (wing)
Goran Dragic (point guard)

Free Agency:
James Posey
Demetris Nichols
Jose Juan Barea
Kelenna Azubuike
Matt Barnes
Bonzi Wells
Corey Maggette
Trevor Ariza
Ryan Gomes
Bostjan Nachbar
James Jones
Jose Calderon

Europe:
Viktor Sanikidze
Darius Washington
Vassilis Spanoulis? :oops

D-League:
Marcus Williams
Keith Langford
DerMarr Johnson

loveforthegame
01-21-2008, 03:38 PM
I don't think Finley is retiring. Whether he's with the Spurs or not next year is another matter. I don't think you can keep him and Barry though. Ime is going to need more minutes and it would be nice to have a young project. Be it Jeremy Richardson or someone they draft or pick up in the off season.

SenorSpur
01-21-2008, 04:07 PM
Rather than keep both Barry and Finley, I'd rather they pursue one of the wings listed by Mr. Bottomtooth. Barry's shooting, ball-handling and passing would be hardest to replece, but they could certainly get by with the likes of a James Jones, James Posey or Corey Maggette.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-21-2008, 09:26 PM
Que Gee was half right - Richardson started, Manu didn't, but still props. :tu

duncan228
01-21-2008, 09:28 PM
Que Gee was half right - Richardson started, Manu didn't, but still props. :tu

To be fair Que Gee said "probably" about Manu. :)

Mr. Body
01-21-2008, 09:30 PM
List of players we should look at:
Draft:
Brandon Rush (wing)
Luc Richard Mbah a Moute (wing)
Goran Dragic (point guard)

I wouldn't expect Mbah a Moute to come out this year. He's not distinguished himself enough to get drafted and UCLA players have tended to stay for more years lately (Love will be an exception).

There are a few senior guards in the PAC-10 that might be worth a look, inlcuding Malik Hairston. I'd love to take an extended look at Josh Shipp. He'd be what the doctor ordered to replace Finley.

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-21-2008, 09:32 PM
I wouldn't expect Mbah a Moute to come out this year. He's not distinguished himself enough to get drafted and UCLA players have tended to stay for more years lately (Love will be an exception).

There are a few senior guards in the PAC-10 that might be worth a look, inlcuding Malik Hairston. I'd love to take an extended look at Josh Shipp. He'd be what the doctor ordered to replace Finley.
I agree with you on Shipp but I don't know about Hairston.

Mr. Body
01-21-2008, 09:35 PM
Shipp wd easily by my first pick. Bryce Taylor might be okay. Right now they're 2nd round if anything.

e20dylan
01-21-2008, 09:36 PM
if we got james posey that would be absolutely sick

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-21-2008, 09:40 PM
Shipp wd easily by my first pick. Bryce Taylor might be okay. Right now they're 2nd round if anything.
What ever happened to this Marcus Dove fellow some people were talking about?

Mr. Body
01-21-2008, 09:48 PM
What ever happened to this Marcus Dove fellow some people were talking about?

To be honest, I've thought him a ridiculously good fit for some time now. He's taller than Bowen and as ferocious on defense... possibly an attitude problem... DUI last summer, not sure what's in his head. He's showing more offensive flashes than he did last year (because he didn't have to). Collects 5.8 rpg and averages 2.2 steals and 1.1 blocks per game. Granted he had 13 steals combined against Texas-Arlington and UTSA, so that puffed the average up slightly. He's tough and cares about basketball.

If he's still there at the Toronto pick, absolutely hell yes. I'd seriously consider grabbing him with the first rounder. He fills a need lickety split.

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-21-2008, 09:52 PM
If he's still there at the Toronto pick, absolutely hell yes. I'd seriously consider grabbing him with the first rounder. He fills a need lickety split.
Considering he might still be there at the Raptors pick he sounds too good to be true.

Mr. Body
01-21-2008, 09:52 PM
I think so. Maybe his personal profile is such he should be drafted higher, I don't know.

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-21-2008, 09:55 PM
I think so. Maybe his personal profile is such he should be drafted higher, I don't know.
And this is the person you hope they plan on replacing Bowen with, correct?

The Truth #6
01-21-2008, 09:55 PM
I'm curious why Pop started Richardson. He didn't seem intent on playing him much. I didn't think Richardson did anything that bad to not give him more minutes if the plan was to start him to see what he can do, so to speak.

Mr. Body
01-21-2008, 09:57 PM
And this is the person you hope they plan on replacing Bowen with, correct?

Well, it's an idea. He's much taller and longer than most anyone that has come up, might be had with the Toronto pick, and could be a Travis Outlaw-type player (1 s, 1 b/game), but maybe he busts or is a headcase.

duncan228
01-21-2008, 09:57 PM
I'm curious why Pop started Richardson. He didn't seem intent on playing him much. I didn't think Richardson did anything that bad to not give him more minutes if the plan was to start him to see what he can do, so to speak.

http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblo...monroe_wha.html

Mike Monroe: Whatever It Takes

Gregg Popovich said he decided to start Jeremy Richardson in Monday afternoon's game against the Charlotte Bobcats only because Richardson just signed his second 10-day contract and the Spurs coaches wanted to see what he migh be able to give them.

Of course, there was more to it than that. Pre-season is for looking at rookies to see what they might be able to do.

Call me cynical, but I think Popovich did it to mess with Bobcats coach Sam Vincent's head just a little.

Vincent game-planned Monday's game figuring his high-scoring power forward, Gerald Wallace, would be matched up against Fabricio Oberto, not Michael Finley, whom Popovich assigned to defend Wallace.
Popovich pretty much stuck with small lineups throughout Monday's game, and Ime Udoka did a fine defensive job on Wallace, too.
Richardson played only 11 minutes and 18 seconds, but his presence in the starting lineup seemed to befuddle the Bobcats a bit.

Mr. Body
01-21-2008, 09:59 PM
Can someone tell me how to post imbedded youtube videos?

Marcus Dove. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRPMbZeeCUY)

Mr.B - Dove would be about the same as Bowen, a nullity on offense. Perhaps not as great an outside shooter but perhaps a bit better everywhere else. I do think he has the skills to develop into more of a threat - he's not terrible this year and doubled his scoring average (not saying tons there).

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-21-2008, 10:04 PM
Can someone tell me how to post imbedded youtube videos?

Marcus Dove. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRPMbZeeCUY)
kRPMbZeeCUY

Here you go.

Quote this comment and see how it is typed.

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-21-2008, 10:10 PM
Mr.B - Dove would be about the same as Bowen, a nullity on offense. Perhaps not as great an outside shooter but perhaps a bit better everywhere else. I do think he has the skills to develop into more of a threat - he's not terrible this year and doubled his scoring average (not saying tons there).
From what you say I am starting to like this kid, but I'm afraid if we keep Bowen, Udoka, and draft Dove we wouldn't have enough scoring coming from our SG/SF rotation. After them 3, there would be more than likely only 2 more spots for the SG/SF rotation, one of which would belong to Manu and the other would be belong to either Finley, Barry, or Richardson assuming he makes it, or another new guy via free agency.

Or unless we let him develop in Europe/D-League until Bowen retires.

AFBlue
01-21-2008, 10:33 PM
From what you say I am starting to like this kid, but I'm afraid if we keep Bowen, Udoka, and draft Dove we wouldn't have enough scoring coming from our SG/SF rotation. After them 3, there would be more than likely only 2 more spots for the SG/SF rotation, one of which would belong to Manu and the other would be belong to either Finley, Barry, or Richardson assuming he makes it, or another new guy via free agency.

Or unless we let him develop in Europe/D-League until Bowen retires.

Go with your first instinct....

Brandon Rush :tu

Kid can shoot, defend, and knows how to be a supporting role player if necessary. The only thing hurting him is the injury concern with the ACL. Other than that, I think this kid should be in a Spurs uni next year.

Mr. Body
01-21-2008, 10:37 PM
I'd take Rush with the first rounder and be happy.

As for Dove, having Bowen still on the roster is no reason to pick him up. His size alone is attractive - he'd easily be tall enough for Nowitzki, and guarded Durant well - and Bowen doesn't have much time left, anyway.

We only have 13 on the team at the moment, anyway (I won't yet consider Richardson a teammate, figuring he'll be gone soon).

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-21-2008, 10:40 PM
Go with your first instinct....

Brandon Rush :tu

Kid can shoot, defend, and knows how to be a supporting role player if necessary. The only thing hurting him is the injury concern with the ACL. Other than that, I think this kid should be in a Spurs uni next year.
Or perhaps both?
Draft in order, Rush, Dragic, then Dove. I would call that a successful draft. :smokin Though it's almost impossible to pull off.

Let Dove develop in the D-League, maybe send down Dragic with him.

Would Rush come in and immediately start playing or do you imagine him getting his share of time in Austin?

AFBlue
01-21-2008, 10:51 PM
Or perhaps both?
Draft in order, Rush, Dragic, then Dove. I would call that a successful draft. :smokin Though it's almost impossible to pull off.

Let Dove develop in the D-League, maybe send down Dragic with him.

Would Rush come in and immediately start playing or do you imagine him getting his share of time in Austin?

You and I think alot alike.

The Spurs would probably have to move up in the 2nd to get Dragic, but he could start to develop as Tony's long-term backup. Of course, if he couldn't come over next year there is always the pool of young D-League PGs to choose from....like Washington, Watson, or a few that might mistakenly come out in next year's strong PG draft and go undrafted to bridge the gap.

As for Rush, I think it would depend heavily on the retirement/FA situation for Fin and Barry. I think both are good for this team and both can still contribute at the right price (vet min?), but I wonder if both will be back. If so, then I'd say Rush spends the year in the D-League and gets alot of seasoning there. However, if one or both don't come back I think you'd see Rush with ample opportunity to prove himself.

Bottom Line: I think Rush would be ready to step in and contribute, but the question would be if he had the opportunity to do so.

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-21-2008, 10:59 PM
You and I think alot alike.

:lol For some reason that made me chuckle. But thank you, I appreciate that coming from one of the more knowledged members.

The Spurs would probably have to move up in the 2nd to get Dragic, but he could start to develop as Tony's long-term backup. Of course, if he couldn't come over next year there is always the pool of young D-League PGs to choose from....like Washington, Watson, or a few that might mistakenly come out in next year's strong PG draft and go undrafted to bridge the gap.

Does he have a contract that can keep him from entering the NBA next year? Or are you just saying if he waits until the following year to enter the draft?

As for Rush, I think it would depend heavily on the retirement/FA situation for Fin and Barry. I think both are good for this team and both can still contribute at the right price (vet min?), but I wonder if both will be back. If so, then I'd say Rush spends the year in the D-League and gets alot of seasoning there. However, if one or both don't come back I think you'd see Rush with ample opportunity to prove himself.

Bottom Line: I think Rush would be ready to step in and contribute, but the question would be if he had the opportunity to do so.
That's what I was thinking as well. As much as I want them two to come back, we do need some young talent out there. But if they both come back and we send Rush down to the D-League, then I would be fine with that.

loveforthegame
01-21-2008, 11:02 PM
Nbadraft.net has Toronto taking Dragic with the 47th pick (ours right?) right now. Of course all this changes by the week.

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-21-2008, 11:02 PM
Nbadraft.net has Toronto taking Dragic with the 47th pick (ours right?) right now.
Yes.

AFBlue
01-21-2008, 11:10 PM
On Dragic, I'm not sure about his contract situation and I was assuming that he is going to be in this draft. I was just saying that sometimes there are contract disputes with the Euro teams and also that sometimes there's an agreement between the NBA team and the player that they'll stay overseas for a year or two (as was the case with Mahinmi) to work on their game.

Basically, I was saying that the Spurs should definitely go after this kid, but that they could "make do" with a fill-in third PG if he was unable to come over.

On Rush, I agree that this team needs new blood and I think he appears to be a Spurs-type player. I'd be more than happy if he were there with the first round pick and the Spurs took him. Also, IF the Spurs brought back both Fin and Barry It'd be on one or two-year vet min type deals....meaning it wouldn't be long before Rush could come in and contribute.

AFBlue
01-21-2008, 11:13 PM
Nbadraft.net has Toronto taking Dragic with the 47th pick (ours right?) right now. Of course all this changes by the week.

DraftExpress has him going with the third pick in the second round.

At this point it's all over the board, so I wouldn't trust any one site over another.

Bottom Line: As we get closer to the draft questions will be answered about his buyout status, he will work out at camps and for individual teams, and the Spurs will have a full season of him at the Euroleague level to reflect on.

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-21-2008, 11:16 PM
Do you see any teams willing to part with a mid-2nd rounder for Elson + cash or our 2nd rounder?
I'm trying to envision any scenarios to move us up in the 2nd round so we can nab both Dragic and Dove.

Brutalis
01-21-2008, 11:29 PM
urr time i see J.Richardson I think Jason.

AFBlue
01-21-2008, 11:31 PM
Not sure how we got down this road, but I just wanted to say in general...

The Spurs have an excellent opportunity next year to inject a great deal of youth into their team and I would be disappointed if they didn't at least take partial advantage of that fact.

I would love to see Elson go, and though it would be bittersweet to see Horry gone, I think it's time for that as well. I'm very excited that the Spurs have two young F/Cs in the system that should be able to come in and fill important roles from the outset and can be long-term pieces to the futuer of this team.

My hope is that the Spurs begin to take steps to accomplish the same sort of infusion with their backcourt and on the wing. I'm not saying I want Barry and Finley to be shown the door, because I think they can still provide veteran leadership, versatility, and long-range shooting to this team....but I think it's time to start the process of adding legitimate options to the table. This draft and potentially this free-agent offseason will be crucial in determining where the Spurs go from here.

I think they've started that evalaution process with the likes of Washington, Richardson, Williams, Johnson, and Langford...but I think a serious long-term investment into the future is necessary (via 1st round pick or FA signing) and hope one comes sooner rather than later.

My dream scenario would see Rush on this team in '08 and contributing significantly by '09 at the latest. It would also see the Spurs going after a long-term solution at PG, be that Goran Dragic or another of a good young crop that should be coming out in this year's draft. This long-term solution wouldn't have to be ready until '09 but should be ready to assume full-time backup duty then.

Bottom Line: Obviously, phasing young talent into a veteran-laden roster is not easy, but I think it's time for the Spurs FO to start making those steps.

AFBlue
01-21-2008, 11:33 PM
Do you see any teams willing to part with a mid-2nd rounder for Elson + cash or our 2nd rounder?
I'm trying to envision any scenarios to move us up in the 2nd round so we can nab both Dragic and Dove.

Moving up in the second round or even adding a second round pick on draft day usually isn't that difficult.

If the Spurs could move Elson and get a second round pick back though, I'd be all for it. Hell, if the Spurs dumped Elson's salary and got nothing back, I'd be all for it.

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-21-2008, 11:35 PM
Hell, if the Spurs dumped Elson's salary and got nothing back, I'd be all for it.
:lol

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-21-2008, 11:36 PM
Not sure how we got down this road, but I just wanted to say in general...

The Spurs have an excellent opportunity next year to inject a great deal of youth into their team and I would be disappointed if they didn't at least take partial advantage of that fact.

I would love to see Elson go, and though it would be bittersweet to see Horry gone, I think it's time for that as well. I'm very excited that the Spurs have two young F/Cs in the system that should be able to come in and fill important roles from the outset and can be long-term pieces to the futuer of this team.

My hope is that the Spurs begin to take steps to accomplish the same sort of infusion with their backcourt and on the wing. I'm not saying I want Barry and Finley to be shown the door, because I think they can still provide veteran leadership, versatility, and long-range shooting to this team....but I think it's time to start the process of adding legitimate options to the table. This draft and potentially this free-agent offseason will be crucial in determining where the Spurs go from here.

I think they've started that evalaution process with the likes of Washington, Richardson, Williams, Johnson, and Langford...but I think a serious long-term investment into the future is necessary (via 1st round pick or FA signing) and hope one comes sooner rather than later.

My dream scenario would see Rush on this team in '08 and contributing significantly by '09 at the latest. It would also see the Spurs going after a long-term solution at PG, be that Goran Dragic or another of a good young crop that should be coming out in this year's draft. This long-term solution wouldn't have to be ready until '09 but should be ready to assume full-time backup duty then.

Bottom Line: Obviously, phasing young talent into a veteran-laden roster is not easy, but I think it's time for the Spurs FO to start making those steps.
Completely agree. :tu

ChumpDumper
02-11-2008, 11:34 AM
Odd -- proexposure says the Spurs signed Richardson again yesterday.

FromWayDowntown
02-11-2008, 12:43 PM
Odd -- proexposure says the Spurs signed Richardson again yesterday.

If they did, it couldn't be on a 10-day contract, right? He'd have to be signed and guaranteed for the rest of the season since he's already had two 10-days.

ChumpDumper
02-11-2008, 12:45 PM
Right, that's why I thought it odd.

That site is usually very solid about transactions. If this one is true they either really like Jeremy or something is going on with Barry.

Bruno
02-11-2008, 12:53 PM
Yesterday was 02/10/08, Spurs signed Richardson for the first time on 01/10/08.
Maybe they have mixed January with February.

tav1
02-11-2008, 12:54 PM
To add conjecture on top of conjecture...if they signed Richardson and traded Barry, they probably moved Barry for a big.

ChumpDumper
02-11-2008, 12:55 PM
Yesterday was 02/10/08, Spurs signed Richardson for the first time on 01/10/08.
Maybe they have mixed January with February.That's what I was thinking, and it could very well be the case though it's kind of a funky error to make.

The other D-League transaction listed with it is current.

tav1
02-11-2008, 01:04 PM
A big in the 5 to 6 million range...I'm hoping this is actually the case and it's Udonis Haslem. But it could Barry and Elson for Kurt Thomas, too. Or Jeff Foster. Or something far less helpful, which is probably the case.

timvp
02-11-2008, 05:45 PM
That's really interesting. ProExposure is a rock solid site. Either someone read wrong and confused the month or the Spurs actually did sign him. If they signed him that would mean there is a trade in the works ... or Barry's recovery isn't coming along fast enough.

I guess we'll find out for sure when the Spurs game starts. I don't see it anywhere else on the internet, though.

remingtonbo2001
02-11-2008, 07:01 PM
So?

loveforthegame
02-11-2008, 07:09 PM
I'd like to think it signals a trade but I'm guessing it's a freak error instead. Or as timvp mentioned that Barry's recovery isn't coming along fast enough.

remingtonbo2001
02-11-2008, 07:19 PM
They didn't mention anything during the broadcast, so I'm assuming it's an error.

exstatic
02-11-2008, 08:00 PM
Or, just maybe, since they've blown well over the Tax with Damon, they're willing to pay a double minimum salary to keep JR, or keep him away from someone else.

FromWayDowntown
02-11-2008, 09:17 PM
It's Jeremy Richardson's birthday, so maybe his buddies thought this would be a good joke.

ChumpDumper
02-12-2008, 10:21 AM
proexposure hasn't taken it down. We'll know soon enough as the Toros play the Mad Ants on Thursday. Maybe they are just holding off the announcement so Richardson can participate in the D-League ASG -- nah, that wouldn't make sense if he's an injury fill-in for Barry.

MoSpur
02-12-2008, 10:47 AM
This is very interesting. Maybe Finley is a gonner. LOL

tav1
02-12-2008, 11:12 AM
I live within a couple hours of Ft. Wayne and gave some consideration to driving in for the Austin game--I left a message with the Mad Ant PR rep yesterday about another issue, but I'll ask about Richardson as well. I was shocked to see on the Mad Ant website that the numbers of all their execs are listed. Funny, huh?

ChumpDumper
02-12-2008, 01:27 PM
That is interesting, especially the email addresses for the coaching staff. The people on the business side of the Toros are easy to get a hold of and helpful.

Fort Wayne has really enviable attendance numbers this season. They play in an enormous arena, but it seems like it could be a pretty nice atmosphere when the crowd is good.

Fabbs
02-12-2008, 02:38 PM
The superior quality of SpursTalk.

I post on another board. Its mostly Laker Krishnas ( cultists who worship Kobes poop and believe anything pro-Laker and refuse to believe anything neg Laker). Anywho that board has a super annoying poster who claims to be a die hard Spurs rooter. I posted this a.m. that Richardson was resigned. I did it under an Artest for ____Spurs thread as I myself would take Artest for Splitter and Manhinmi. Risky i know but i want a repeat badly. Anywho i posted that the Kings might take a peek at Richardson as he may indeed get some play small or large or even if none, he is on the Spurs roster as potential filler for a theoretic trade.

*Spurs diehard* poster entitled "lurker" s response:
How are the Spurs going to play someone that isn't even on their roster?
Do we need to revisit the earlier posts about THINKING before you post? (About the 3rd time he's tried using this THINKING before i post schpeel)

I informed him that the Spurs re signed Richardson. lurker continues:
So where is the link to this signing?

Not on the local paper site

Not on Spursreport.com

Not on NBA.com

Not on any of the major media sites (ESPN, SI, Sportsline)

Maybe you could actually post some proof. And what makes you think they would resign someone and immediately play him?

Until then I will have to believe that you are posting without any thought...SNAFU in other words.

ChumpDumper
02-12-2008, 02:55 PM
Well there is no confirmation, so we can't really assume it's happened. It's just that the site I saw it on is usually quite reliable.

Not on Spursreport.com:lol

Fabbs
02-12-2008, 03:00 PM
^ Chump,
huh? Kori tim and others said its a slam he is re signed.
you mean Yahoo screws up occasionally?
Or you mean he is definitely re signed as a Spur, just that whether or not he plays Wed night we shall have to see?

tav1
02-12-2008, 03:05 PM
That is interesting, especially the email addresses for the coaching staff. The people on the business side of the Toros are easy to get a hold of and helpful.

Fort Wayne has really enviable attendance numbers this season. They play in an enormous arena, but it seems like it could be a pretty nice atmosphere when the crowd is good.

Yes, but no one has called me back. So maybe it's simply that they want to appear accessible, but in reality they have alternate numbers, etc...

In turns out that I have to go to Virginia this weekend. No Ian for me.

tav1
02-12-2008, 03:06 PM
And 48hrs with no further confirmation makes me less than optimistic.

ChumpDumper
02-12-2008, 03:07 PM
I may have caused some confusion by not starting a new thread.

Richardson was signed to a 10-day contract on Jan 10.

Richardson was signed to another 10-day contract on Jan 20.

His contract was not extended to the end of the season, so he returned to the D-League.

Monday, I noticed that proexposure.com stated that the Spurs signed Richardson on Sunday. The only way that could be true is if they signed him for the rest of the season.

It has not been confirmed by any other source and until it is, it really can't be discussed as being true.

Fabbs
02-12-2008, 03:51 PM
Well Que Gee was right. Richardson is starting in Oberto's place.
^^ This chick is never wrong. LJ told me so. :p:

Oh please don't make me eat crow at the Laker Krishna board. :drunk

tav1
02-12-2008, 04:04 PM
I just spoke with Alicia Harrison, Director of Operations of the Mad Ants, and she's tells me that Jeremy Richardson is still with their team.

kolko
02-12-2008, 04:19 PM
^^ This chick is never wrong. LJ told me so. :p:

Oh please don't make me eat crow at the Laker Krishna board. :drunk
Please, look at the dates of the posts.

Fabbs
02-12-2008, 08:55 PM
Please, look at the dates of the posts.
omg.

tav1 I just spoke with Alicia Harrison, Director of Operations of the Mad Ants, and she's tells me that Jeremy Richardson is still with their team.
Great. So my nutts are hanging on the accuracy or not of a proexposure.com blurb.

Fabbs
02-13-2008, 11:14 AM
In the event it was not a screw up typo by Proexposure.com ......
Is it even possible Richardson could join the Spurs today vs Cleveland?
Or does some official signing notice have to be given X # of hours before tipoff?

timvp
02-13-2008, 11:52 AM
If the Spurs are signing Richardson, they'd probably wait until after the All-Star break to make it official. The less amount of time he's on the team, the less they'd have to pay him.

That said, 99.9% it was a mistake by proexposure.com. That in itself is pretty surprising because proexposure.com is a reputable site.

Fabbs
02-13-2008, 11:59 AM
"It is our error - We will remove the transaction - Thank you for bringing this to our attention" Fred Bryan.

And thank myself for getting myself about to be butt owned when Richardson does not appear on the roster tonight.
Chump you may get an assist, but i think this ones on me.

Mr. Body
02-13-2008, 12:02 PM
"It is our error - We will remove the transaction - Thank you for bringing this to our attention oh you obsessive fans" Fred Bryan.

FTFY

timvp
02-13-2008, 12:04 PM
"It is our error - We will remove the transaction - Thank you for bringing this to our attention" Fred Bryan.Nice investigating :tu

This will only add to the Jeremy Richardson lore if Richardson one day becomes a solid NBA player.

Fabbs
02-13-2008, 01:06 PM
So can we get some good out of this error? :spin

Q. Can a NBADL player be signed with an NBA team and still play in the DL All Star Game? Manhimi is playing, right?

2. How many times max can the "parent" NBA club send a player down to the DL team per season?

ChumpDumper
02-13-2008, 03:17 PM
So can we get some good out of this error? :spin

Q. Can a NBADL player be signed with an NBA team and still play in the DL All Star Game? Manhimi is playing, right?Ian is playing, but CJ Watson - who was called up by Golden State - is not. My guess would be Richardson would probably be allowed to go at this time since it's so close to the event and he wold not have played big minutes for the Spurs like Watson has for the Warriors.

2. How many times max can the "parent" NBA club send a player down to the DL team per season?They can be sent down and called up three times, after which they have to stay with the NBA club the rest of the season. Ian is on his second assignment. I believe Kyrylo Fesenko is the only NBA player who has been assigned three times this season.

AFBlue
02-18-2008, 08:54 PM
Bump....

Richardson has signed with the Hawks.

FWIW

Guard Jeremy Richardson returns to Hawks under 10-day contract
14 minutes ago

ATLANTA - The Atlanta Hawks signed guard Jeremy Richardson to a 10-day contract Monday, restoring their roster to 13 players after sending four to the Sacramento Kings in a trade for point guard Mike Bibby.

The six-foot-seven Richardson has played eight games this season with the Memphis Grizzlies and San Antonio Spurs and 12 games with the Fort Wayne Mad Ants of the NBA Development League.

With Fort Wayne, he averaged 25.4 ppg, 6.1 rebounds, 1.6 assists and 1.2 steals.

Richardson played in five games for the Hawks last year after signing two 10-day contracts, averaging 1.6 points and 0.4 rebounds. He also played in one game for the Portland Trail Blazers in 2006-07.

In 14 career NBA games, he has 18 points, four rebounds, two assists and two steals.

http://canadianpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5jMFI_FSEuunpBpdip_HlfFtr-xvA

T Park
02-18-2008, 08:58 PM
Good for him.

Solid D
02-18-2008, 09:02 PM
Best wishes..Jeremy Richar_son

manufor3
02-18-2008, 09:04 PM
good luck jeremy! (u'll need it with bibby around....)

Mr.Bottomtooth
02-18-2008, 09:34 PM
Good luck to him.
The kid has a great NBA future.