PDA

View Full Version : Time to Trade

Pages : [1] 2

Ghost Writer
01-21-2008, 02:26 PM
Last year, the Spurs deciding not to trade brought the team together and led to a championship.

This year, I think they need a shot in the arm by going ahead and making a trade.

The Spurs are not going to get a star like Jason Kidd, because they don't have enough expendable talent or contracts to make that happen under the cap.

Quite frankly, they don't need a star.

I think they simply need a marginal player that can reinvigorate them towards a title and do some positive things on the court.

Sometimes, it's tough to get motivated when you have many of the same faces -- especially when they are mostly older veterans.

Two players that might give our team a shot in the arm:

Sam Cassell - here's a crafty old veteran who is dying to play some meaningful games. He knows how to win and would be reunited with his old buddy from the championship Rockets - Robert Horry. I think Cassell could be a quality backup to Tony Parker, providing some fire and veteran poise.

Wally Szerbiack - is he overrated because he's white? Of course. But if the Jazz don't save Wally World from the lowly Sonics, then maybe the Spurs should. Szerbiack is currently providing a lot of punch off the bench for Seattle, averaging double digits in the past couple weeks. He could help our second unit and allow Ginobili to start or help to fortify the starting lineup and allow Finley and Barry to be more like 3-point gunners off the bench.

These are two unglamorous trades that the Spurs might be able to make for spare parts off the bench.

:cooldevil

Amuseddaysleeper
01-21-2008, 02:39 PM
how come you rarely post on here anymore?

or do you also have another screen name?

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-21-2008, 02:39 PM
I'd rather give Udoka more time rather than trade for another wing.
And I'm willing to stand pat with Vaughn.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-21-2008, 02:40 PM
I think Barry deserves more minutes

a lot more minutes

rascal
There has been a ghost sighting.

timvp
Sup? :hat

The Spurs supposedly went after Kyle Korver, so going after Wally Szczerbiak wouldn't be too surprising.

Ghost Writer
01-21-2008, 02:45 PM
I have a wife and baby boy. Need I say more?

I just don't see this team digging down deep again like last year.

I think a marginal trade will shake things up.

And I'm glad they did not get Korver... we have enough stiffs to shoot the 3.

We need someone that can put the ball on the floor and make a basket.

I'm not a Cassell or Wally fan, but I like what they bring to the table more than a Damon Stoudamire. I question his attitude.

Should we look at JR Smith again?

Dingle Barry
01-21-2008, 02:47 PM
I like both those suggestions. Cassell over Vaughn is a no brainer and Wally would be a nice spark off the bench, and as you say, allow Manu to start over Finley's corpse.

rascal
01-21-2008, 02:49 PM
I agree Korver is a stiff. They don't need another guy standing on the perimeter looking for a 3 watching Duncan get doubled and tripled teamed in the 4'th quarter of a tight playoff game.

BacktoBasics
01-21-2008, 02:51 PM
I really think it would be irresponsible for this team to stand pat like they did last year. Lightning isn't going to strike twice and you can only ride out your vets for so long. There needs to be a youth movement (youth = 26-30 young) not something gigantic or drastic just a little bit younger and hungrier.

Wally has a pretty big contract but I do believe he would provide some range and scoring off the bench plus he's the kind of guy that would mesh well and not disrupt the team chemistry.

I would also look deep into Portlands bench, they have wings and a need for vet leadership looking into next year. Webster, Frye, Outlaw come to mind.

rascal
01-21-2008, 02:52 PM
Take a chance with JR Smith. He is an explosive offensive player and can take it to the basket. Put in the right situation with the right team he could turn into a valuable player at little cost now.

2centsworth
01-21-2008, 02:54 PM
a reinvigorated Tony Parker should be enough. Right now Tony has a lot on his mind.

If the spurs were to trade, I would like to see a big man in return.

Ghost Writer
01-21-2008, 02:58 PM
I really think it would be irresponsible for this team to stand pat like they did last year. Lightning isn't going to strike twice and you can only ride out your vets for so long. There needs to be a youth movement (youth = 26-30 young) not something gigantic or drastic just a little bit younger and hungrier. -- Back2Basics

Here, here!

And rascal is on to something, too. The Spurs looked at barry for JR Smith last year and Denver is even more stacked at guard this year.

I like Barry and would rather see Finley go (we got him his ring).

The bottom line is that the Spurs can repeat, because the other contenders aren't as intimidating as last year.

The thing is... the Spurs are not as good as last year.

Cassell... get him.

2centsworth
01-21-2008, 02:59 PM
Cassell would be nice. Kurt Thomas would be fantastic.

tav1
01-21-2008, 03:01 PM
I'm with GhostWriter about the need for a booster shot trade.

I think our wings are fine for this season. Udoka will be a full-fledge rotation guy by April.

My big concern is the interior D. They need bonafide shot blocker/gritty rebounder. Elson doesn't get it done, Oberto doesn't fit the profile and Bonner's purpose lies eslewhere--and, Horry, well, last game I saw a worm come out of one of his eye sockets. I also think they could use a point that can spread the floor in limited minutes or someone who could score in the front court.

In other words, I'd like to see a marginal trade for an expiring contract that fits one of the above concerns. I'd also like to win the lottery.

MaNu4Tres
01-21-2008, 03:02 PM
Kurt Thomas or Chris Wilcox. I would say Spurs need a big man next to Tim more so than another wing.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-21-2008, 03:06 PM
I really think it would be irresponsible for this team to stand pat like they did last year. Lightning isn't going to strike twice and you can only ride out your vets for so long. There needs to be a youth movement (youth = 26-30 young) not something gigantic or drastic just a little bit younger and hungrier. -- Back2Basics

Here, here!

And rascal is on to something, too. The Spurs looked at barry for JR Smith last year and Denver is even more stacked at guard this year.

I like Barry and would rather see Finley go (we got him his ring).

The bottom line is that the Spurs can repeat, because the other contenders aren't as intimidating as last year.

The thing is... the Spurs are not as good as last year.

Cassell... get him.

:tu great post but a couple of quick questions:

A) I agree completely that the Spurs need to get a bit younger and nothing too drastic like you said. However, you ask for the team to get older yet you want to go after Cassell, who may or may not be available every other week due to some sort of injury.

B) I also agree that the other contenders aren't nearly as intimidating as last year. However, I give the Mavs a lot of credit on bringing and grooming a guy like Brandon Bass for the playoffs, as he's a great rebounder/banger that a the Spurs would probably love to have.

What I'd like to know is why aren't the contenders (Mavs, Suns) not as good as last year? Is it due to too much experimenting (especially in the Mavs case) or are those teams actually getting older too and just not exposed for it as often as the Spurs? (who are clearly more old)

Sorry if it always seem like all I do is come on here to interview other posters :lol

urunobili
01-21-2008, 03:13 PM
Kurt Thomas or Chris Wilcox. I would say Spurs need a big man next to Tim more so than another wing.
Wilcox would look really good besides Timee

td4mvp21
01-21-2008, 03:17 PM
If we're going to trade, we need to trade for a big man. Knowing the Spurs front office, we won't.

MoSpur
01-21-2008, 03:19 PM
Its easy. Trade old guys for young guys.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-21-2008, 03:21 PM
Are there any teams that would actually take on Elson?

Is there anyone on the Knicks we want?

I always saw that team as a bit of a GM Safe Haven for other teams.

Anytime you sign someone to a shitty contract or have a player that you aren't entirely happy with, you can always go to Isiah who will gladly help you out

Ghost Writer
01-21-2008, 03:22 PM
A) I agree completely that the Spurs need to get a bit younger and nothing too drastic like you said. However, you ask for the team to get older yet you want to go after Cassell, who may or may not be available every other week due to some sort of injury.

I apologize for combining thoughts... first and foremost, I think we need a spark via trade. If we can get a younger guy like JR Smith... even better. But I'll take a veteran like Cassell at a cheap price.

B) I also agree that the other contenders aren't nearly as intimidating as last year. However, I give the Mavs a lot of credit on bringing and grooming a guy like Brandon Bass for the playoffs, as he's a great rebounder/banger that a the Spurs would probably love to have.

What I'd like to know is why aren't the contenders (Mavs, Suns) not as good as last year? Is it due to too much experimenting (especially in the Mavs case) or are those teams actually getting older too and just not exposed for it as often as the Spurs? (who are clearly more old)

I can't put my finger on it, but the Mavs and Suns are not blowing teams out or running away with their divisions like last year. The Lakers are in first, right? I don't know if these teams, like the Spurs, are experimenting and/or going through the motions, but it does not seem like they are as sharp as years' past.

I'm just worried the Spurs will not be able to turn it on once again without some outside help.

SequSpur
01-21-2008, 03:26 PM
sam cassell sucks. he is older than van exel's grandma.

the spurs need to get rid of all their second string bigs for a player that could at least beat out the coyote.

AFBlue
01-21-2008, 03:28 PM
Sczerbiak makes like $12M, so the Spurs would have to get creative in a trade for him.

I'm all for going after JR Smith, Mickael Pietrus, and/or Rasual Butler. All three of them are in lame-duck status with their current teams and could be had for a package of assbag Elson and maybe a future first.

So replace Elson with a wing player, waive Richardson, and call up Manhinmi or add a D-league bigman.

nkdlunch
01-21-2008, 03:34 PM
Udoka + Barry > Scerbiak + Cassell

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-21-2008, 03:36 PM
Udoka + Barry > Scerbiak + Cassell
:tu

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-21-2008, 03:36 PM
Oh yea and to just get it out there, it's Szczerbiak.

MoSpur
01-21-2008, 03:40 PM
Its no secret the Warriors are willing to trade Pietrus.

AFBlue
01-21-2008, 03:43 PM
Its no secret the Warriors are willing to trade Pietrus.

Elson for Pietrus....DO IT!

Ghost Writer
01-21-2008, 03:58 PM
SequSpur, you suck.

Cassell has scored 32, 16 and 22 in his last three games.

He could help.

SenorSpur
01-21-2008, 04:01 PM

Elson for Pietrus....DO IT!

Yep! I know he's supposedly got a low basketball IQ, but dude can shoot it and is a better perimeter defender than anyone else on the team, expect for Bowen and maybe Udoka.

They can give him a look for the rest of the season and decide if they wish to resign him.

exstatic
01-21-2008, 04:28 PM
Kori, please close and lock this thread. Someone obviously hacked the long dormant account of GW.

e20dylan
01-21-2008, 04:37 PM
i do NOT want to get rid of barry. elson and udoka maybe

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-21-2008, 04:38 PM
i do NOT want to get rid of barry. elson and udoka maybe
Udoka isn't going anywhere.

duncan228
01-21-2008, 04:40 PM
Udoka isn't going anywhere.

I hope not. I'm really beginning to like the kid.

peskypesky
01-21-2008, 04:40 PM

Absolutely. We've got Manu, Finley, Barry, Bowen and Ime. No need for another 2-3. What we need is a post-player with muscle and aggressiveness. He doesn't have to be a scorer, just someone who will bang the boards with Duncan.

But what team would want to give up someone like that? That's the problem. Good big men are a precious resource.

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-21-2008, 04:41 PM
I hope not. I'm really beginning to like the kid.
I've always liked him since he played for Portland.

The Truth #6
01-21-2008, 04:47 PM
JR Smith could never handle playing for Pop. Besides, almost everybody we put out there would get lost trying to learn the system at this late moment.

Wally probably could get his points here but that's all he cares about. He's a chucker, and a ballhog.

A healthy Tony Parker is the youth movement we need to explore. We're getting two new bigs next year. Wally's ridiculous contract by itself would disrupt team chemistry.

The new just needs to get healthy and motivated. The team was great in the beginning of the season but got sidetracked with injuries and boredom.

td4mvp21
01-21-2008, 04:52 PM
Absolutely. We've got Manu, Finley, Barry, Bowen and Ime. No need for another 2-3. What we need is a post-player with muscle and aggressiveness. He doesn't have to be a scorer, just someone who will bang the boards with Duncan.

But what team would want to give up someone like that? That's the problem. Good big men are a precious resource.

We'd have to give up two or 3 players. I'm willing to get rid of Elson and Bonner, although I do like Bonner. At first I was willing to give up Barry, but the guy can provide instant offense. It would have to be a great deal for me to be satisfied with it.

e20dylan
01-21-2008, 04:55 PM
jr smith is the last player i want on this team. dude has too many problems.

Ghost Writer
01-21-2008, 04:55 PM
exstatic, it's me, the real Ghost Writer. I met you at Hooters on the Riverwalk circa 2001. You shared your family's love for the Spurs, which was an endearing tale.

I am not panicking by any means.

Nor am I looking for a savior in a deal.

But I do believe that a low-impact trade for a crafty veteran like Cassell could send a message to the other Spurs beyond what a quality backup PG could do for our rotation.

timvp
01-21-2008, 05:07 PM
G-Dub:

1) If the Knicks blow up their team and are looking to give away some talent, any of the Knicks' youngsters catch your eye.

2) What do you think about Anthony Harper ballin' as the starter on Denver?

3) When are you making your return visit to the dirty souf?

Thaa-a-aa-a-aa-a-aa-anks.

BacktoBasics
01-21-2008, 05:12 PM
G-Dub:

1) If the Knicks blow up their team and are looking to give away some talent, any of the Knicks' youngsters catch your eye.

Thaa-a-aa-a-aa-a-aa-anks.Wilson Chandler.

nfg3
01-21-2008, 05:14 PM
I'm not really sold on JR Smith due his meltdown against us in the playoffs and he seems to have a low BB IQ. A very explosive offensive player but will he fit into our system? Does he play the type of D that we expect? I don't know. I'm hesistant to bring him in. Prietrus is very similar, too. Cassell would be a very good addition though.

RonMexico
01-21-2008, 05:16 PM
Get T-Mac

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-21-2008, 05:18 PM
I'm not really sold on JR Smith due his meltdown against us in the playoffs and he seems to have a low BB IQ.
He barely even played in the playoffs last year. His minutes in each game: 4, 11, 14, 15, and a DNP.

txstr1986
01-21-2008, 05:19 PM
I'm not really sold on JR Smith due his meltdown against us in the playoffs and he seems to have a low BB IQ. A very explosive offensive player but will he fit into our system? Does he play the type of D that we expect? I don't know. I'm hesistant to bring him in. Prietrus is very similar, too. Cassell would be a very good addition though.

JR Smith has a low IQ in general. And I don't want to bring in Cassell. I know that the guy has game but I really don't think that the Spurs need another aging (or in Sam's case, aged) guard.

Ghost Writer
01-21-2008, 05:29 PM
timvp:

Yes. I love the heart and enthusiasm of little Nate Robinson. He reminds me of Avery Johnson. Where he lacks in playmaking ability, he makes up in scoring and energy.

Jamal Crawford is nasty, but would be too expensive.

I am not a Zack Randolph fan, but he's available. He makes too much and is like a black hole on the block.

David Lee is a tremendous workman, but the Knicks need him to set an example defensively, so I don't see him going anywhere.

Lots of people out here are high on Reynaldo Blackman. I don't see it. Yet.

What a nice story if the Spurs got Malik Rose back as a throw-in.

I don't like it when players suck for us and then catch on with a competitor, but it is not surprising here. All "Harper" has to do on his team is play within himself, i.e. set up teammates, play smart and defend the ball. Denver has enough scorers. I thought AC tried to do too much with the Spurs.

I am still there mentally.

P.S.

Lil' Weezy is the best rapper alive.

Supergirl
01-21-2008, 05:35 PM
The only Spur I would want to see the Spurs part with is Elson. And I'm not sure who we could get for the little money we're paying him.

MoSpur
01-21-2008, 05:44 PM
I honestly think this is the season where Pop makes a pretty big trade before the deadline. This team is not very good the way it is right now and I don't see it changing for the better. IMO

djohn14
01-21-2008, 06:00 PM
A good trade for us would be Elson and Bonner for a 2nd round pick. Then we would have people taking shots that they can actually make.

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-21-2008, 06:01 PM
A good trade for us would be Elson and Bonner for a 2nd round pick.
Bonner is here to stay.

AFBlue
01-21-2008, 06:15 PM
The only Spur I would want to see the Spurs part with is Elson. And I'm not sure who we could get for the little money we're paying him.

Spurs usually don't make big splashes when they acquire players in-season, so Elson's salary ($3M...and expiring) actually fits pretty well.

With that $3M the Spurs could get a number of younger players still on their rookie salaries that have fallen out of favor with their respective teams. Guys like Mickael Pietrus and JR Smith come to mind.

And there are actually a fair number of "role players" making in the area of $2-4M that the Spurs could trade for as well. Guys like Rasual Butler or Tyrron Lue.

Bottom Line: For what the Spurs are likely to do, trade one peripheral player for another, Elson's salary actually works quite well.

Spurs Dynasty 21
01-21-2008, 06:22 PM
Spurs will make a trade, they understand beating the Bobcats means nothing

tav1
01-21-2008, 06:23 PM
Spurs usually don't make big splashes when they acquire players in-season, so Elson's salary ($3M...and expiring) actually fits pretty well.

With that $3M the Spurs could get a number of younger players still on their rookie salaries that have fallen out of favor with their respective teams. Guys like Mickael Pietrus and JR Smith come to mind.

And there are actually a fair number of "role players" making in the area of $2-4M that the Spurs could trade for as well. Guys like Rasual Butler or Tyrron Lue.

Bottom Line: For what the Spurs are likely to do, trade one peripheral player for another, Elson's salary actually works quite well.

Completely agree. I think the tell of whether or not this happens is if we see Duncan start many more games at center with a small ball line-up. In that scenario, the Spurs will move Elson for either a another point or big. They'll roll with the swings they currently have, possibly including Richardson.

In addition the players listed above, I'd include Flip Murray, Juan Dixon, and Channing Frye to the list of candidates, amongst others.

tav1
01-21-2008, 06:25 PM
And they still have a trade exception to play with...

AFBlue
01-21-2008, 06:33 PM
Completely agree. I think the tell of whether or not this happens is if we see Duncan start many more games at center with a small ball line-up. In that scenario, the Spurs will move Elson for either a another point or big. They'll roll with the swings they currently have, possibly including Richardson.

In addition the players listed above, I'd include Flip Murray, Juan Dixon, and Channing Frye to the list of candidates, amongst others.

Channing Frye is the most intriguing name on that list, but I also think that you sell short the possibility of the Spurs adding a swingman in the trade for Elson and bouncing Richardson.

From today I think Pop was trying to gauge a couple things. One, can the small-ball lineup be viable for LONG stretches and two, is Richardson the wing player that they want to carry in the playoffs for those potential situations.

I think your scenario is entirely possible, but I don't think you should discount the idea that the Spurs would move for another option at the wing. Guys like Pietrus, Smith, and Butler seem ripe for the picking...

FromWayDowntown
01-21-2008, 06:37 PM
The Spurs could still get Chris Whitney without having to make a trade.

Tippecanoe
01-21-2008, 06:51 PM
he's probably off limits, but just out of curiosity, what do you guys think of philly's louis williams??

tav1
01-21-2008, 06:53 PM
Channing Frye is the most intriguing name on that list, but I also think that you sell short the possibility of the Spurs adding a swingman in the trade for Elson and bouncing Richardson.

From today I think Pop was trying to gauge a couple things. One, can the small-ball lineup be viable for LONG stretches and two, is Richardson the wing player that they want to carry in the playoffs for those potential situations.

I think your scenario is entirely possible, but I don't think you should discount the idea that the Spurs would move for another option at the wing. Guys like Pietrus, Smith, and Butler seem ripe for the picking...

Fair enough. But Udoka is playing well enough that the Spurs have enough wings even without Richardson.

Perhaps Elson and a #1 could land someone decent.

If they do trade Elson's expiring contract, they'll probably have take back someone's salaray, which, depending on the player, could be an issue. Frye has a modest rookie deal with only a year left. Or they'll trade big for small(er) expiring deals.

tav1
01-21-2008, 06:57 PM
Chris Sheridan is talking up Maurice Baker. Can anyone speak to him? He's an unknown to me.

MONTENEGRINO
01-21-2008, 06:58 PM
We should try to trade for CP3. Why and how?
Simply, give them Tony and whoever except TD and Manu, of course...
Why? Because Tony isn't franchise player. We will need someone who will be able to take care when TD retire. Someone to lead the team, someone strong enough to make us not fall like bulls after 98'... CP3

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-21-2008, 07:00 PM
Chris Sheridan is talking up Maurice Baker. Can anyone speak to him? He's an unknown to me.
Point guard for the D-League's Dakota Wizards.
Averaging 18.3 points, 6.7 rebounds, and 4.8 assists in about 41 minutes.
http://www.nba.com/media/act_maurice_baker.jpg

FromWayDowntown
01-21-2008, 07:01 PM
Why? Because Tony isn't franchise player. We will need someone who will be able to take care when TD retire. Someone to lead the team, someone strong enough to make us not fall like bulls after 98'... CP3

If Tony isn't a franchise player, but Paul is, why on Earth would the Hornets be willing to trade Paul for Parker?

tav1
01-21-2008, 07:10 PM
Let me ask the Maurice Baker question in a different way: The Spurs know of Baker, and no doubt have for sometime. What keeps them from calling his agent--no need for a pg; character issues; is his recent play something of a fluke?

T Park
01-21-2008, 07:18 PM
Montengrino is a silly misguided Parker hater.

Plain and simple.

You know.

The guy that is Chris Whitney > Tony Parker

SequSpur
01-21-2008, 07:23 PM
SequSpur, you suck.

Cassell has scored 32, 16 and 22 in his last three games.

He could help.

Wow! Definitely better than Vaughn. But Cassell's act was good umm in 1994-1995.

Next.

SequSpur
01-21-2008, 07:26 PM
If you unload Elson and Bonner for some practice players or D leaguers, I don't think you lose anything. You may actually improve something.

e20dylan
01-21-2008, 07:34 PM

i love tony but i think i would be ok with that

debo
01-21-2008, 08:11 PM
how bout elson for biedrins

Cant_Be_Faded
01-21-2008, 08:13 PM
Wally sczcerbiak? Are you Sh*tting me??? Dude we might as well sign Percy Miller...

exstatic
01-21-2008, 08:16 PM
If Paul is such a "Franchise player", why didn't the Hornets even make the playoffs last year?

td4mvp21
01-21-2008, 08:16 PM
how bout elson for biedrins

I'd do it but I doubt Golden State would. Maybe if we gave them Bonner too....

BonnerDynasty
01-21-2008, 08:25 PM
Tony Parker and Bonner for Boobie Gibson.

jay014
01-21-2008, 08:32 PM
2008 free agents (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=2008FreeAgents) Manu for Josh Smith at the end of the year. sign and trade and sign ?

Mr. Body
01-21-2008, 09:25 PM
Manu for Josh Smith at the end of the year. sign and trade and sign ?

Yes! Steal away from Atlanta the number one reason for all their postseason success!

peskypesky
01-21-2008, 10:20 PM

That would be a dream trade. Can't see the Hornets being that dumb. Now, if Isaiah Thomas were their GM, then maybe he'd fall for it.....

I still think what we need is a big man (C or PF) who can bang for rebounds. Doesn't need to be a scorer. Jeff Foster? Chris Wilcox?

e20dylan
01-21-2008, 10:25 PM
or maybe we just need elson to stop SHOOTING.. dude is worthless

txstr1986
01-21-2008, 11:44 PM
If Paul is such a "Franchise player", why didn't the Hornets even make the playoffs last year?

Are you kidding me? The West hase been extremelly deep the past several years and Paul is still young. If the playoffs started today San Antonio would have the fifth seed. New Orleans is currently leading the Southwest division, meaning that Paul's team has a better record than San Antonio, Dallas, and Houston. Paul is unqestionably the best player on the team with the second best record in the Western Conference. The guy is a franchise player.

peskypesky
01-22-2008, 12:32 AM
Paul is unqestionably the best player on the team with the second best record in the Western Conference. The guy is a franchise player.

No doubt. He's ridonculous.

tp2021
01-22-2008, 12:36 AM
2008 free agents (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=2008FreeAgents) Manu for Josh Smith at the end of the year. sign and trade and sign ?

looking at that list, i say...

elton brand. and if not...

dikembe mutombo! and if not...

RASHO NESTEROVIC! WE'D BE UNSTOPPABLE AGAIN!

Please_dont_ban_me
01-22-2008, 02:22 AM
Wally? Hells no.

Sam Cassell...hah, I have a funny story about him. But I don't know if I should share it on here. But uh, let's just say I ran into him. That said, I'd take him in a heart beat. Dude's a beast. (Old beast maybe, now. But still a solid backup PG)

hsxvvd
01-22-2008, 07:39 AM
Pay up and buy out Splitter's contract and get him over here already!

AFBlue
01-22-2008, 03:13 PM
Another guy who has apparently fallen out of the rotation and might be worth a look.....Damien Wilkins in Seattle.

He's a tough-nosed G/F making a decently low salary (easy to trade with Elson), he plays for a team where the GM has good relations with the Spurs, and they might be looking to shed long-term salary (making about $3M for two years beyond this one).

Elson for Wilkins...DO IT!

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-22-2008, 03:15 PM
I'd rather look at Butler or Pietrus than Wilkins.

AFBlue
01-22-2008, 03:19 PM
I'd rather look at Butler or Pietrus than Wilkins.

Beggars can't be choosers....

PLEASE GOD, TAKE ELSON!

But your point is well taken, I would prefer the others as well.

FromWayDowntown
01-22-2008, 03:41 PM
I can certainly see the point in thinking seriously about Cassell for a number of reasons, not the least of which is his ability to score. Of course, his desire to score might be one reason to not give that thought much regard. It does seem that the Spurs could use another scorer -- or at least another guy who can score -- and of the places to plug in such a player on this roster, PG would seem to be the most logical place to plug-and-play. Add to that the fact that Sam's deal is expiring and that he's making somewhere around $6.15 M in 2007-08 and the parts are there to make a deal, perhaps.

But I'd be surprised if the Clippers really want to take back salary for Sam at this point and, if that's true, the Spurs options for dealing for Cassell are pretty limited. As much as I hate to say it, I think this team might need Brent Barry more than most of us might have thought and beyond Barry, I'm not sure that the Spurs have a lot of attractive contracts to offer the Clippers. The better bet might be waiting to see if Cassell is waived and then taking a chance that there's enough of a friendship with Robert Horry to make Cassell think hard about coming to SA. He's a much more logical fit, though, in other places (Denver immediately comes to mind).

I wouldn't mind thinking about the Szczerbiak thing, either, but there seem to be two practical impediments to making such a deal: (1) Wally's deal is huge and it would take some big pieces of the Spurs puzzle to get him; and (2) Sam Presti knows the Spurs' personnel about as well as anyone in the association and can't be sold a bill of goods on a player who might appear to be better than he actually is. #2 comes with the caveat that Presti might be more willing to take on a particularly-favored player, but I don't know that the Spurs have enough of those (still) to put together a deal for Wally.

Mr. Body
01-22-2008, 03:48 PM
Why would Cassell get waived?

Any case, I'd take Sam-I-Am in a heartbeat for Elson + Bonner or one of those plus Barry, even. He'd be a difference maker and give us a real shot in the arm.

FromWayDowntown
01-22-2008, 03:56 PM
Why would Cassell get waived?

Any case, I'd take Sam-I-Am in a heartbeat for Elson + Bonner or one of those plus Barry, even. He'd be a difference maker and give us a real shot in the arm.

Waived is the wrong word -- bought out is what I meant. I could see a scenario in which the Clippers might buy him out and in that situation, I would think the Spurs would be fairly low on his priority list.

You might take those deals, but what's in those deals for the Clippers?

1Parker1
01-22-2008, 04:00 PM
For those Spurs fans who are willing to trade Barry; I'd go as far to say as he's possibly the 5th most important player on the team (after Duncan, Parker, Ginobili, and Bowen). He's the Spurs best 3 point shooter which helps open up the floor for the Big 3 and as evidenced by our recent slump in December...3 point shooting is very important to the Spurs offense. Add to it, he's the best ball handler/passer outside of Parker, Duncan, and Ginobili on the team. I'd rather get rid of Elson, Bonner, Finley, etc before Barry.

freemeat
01-22-2008, 04:06 PM
Whatever happened to the possibility of getting Maggette?

LEONARD
01-22-2008, 04:07 PM
What could we get for Duncan?

AFBlue
01-22-2008, 04:16 PM

He has played very well this year and hasn't really been in the coach's doghouse.

Whereas last year the idea of a Barry/Udrih swap may have sounded intriguing, I'm not sure a Barry/Elson one seems similarly attractive.

The other looming issue is that of third-string PG. Right now the Spurs' de facto third-stringer is Barry....so it would be tough to lose that.

Mr. Body
01-22-2008, 04:41 PM
Waived is the wrong word -- bought out is what I meant. I could see a scenario in which the Clippers might buy him out and in that situation, I would think the Spurs would be fairly low on his priority list.

You might take those deals, but what's in those deals for the Clippers?

Clippers probably would keep him until the end of the year. Old as he is, he's the best point they've got with Livingston still injured. With Maggette and Brand probably back next year, they can convince Cassell to stick around and play/mentor/coach next year, too. At least it's a shot.

e20dylan
01-22-2008, 04:42 PM
we need barry.

MoSpur
01-22-2008, 05:32 PM
We need someone who can rebound not named Tim duncan.

tav1
01-22-2008, 07:43 PM
On Chad Ford's latest podcast, John Hollinger says that he sees the Spurs as a team that will probably make a trade come deadline because they need a few different pieces. Most insider types also suspect that the Mavs are stealing a page from the Spurs book and waiting to peek--for example, Henry Abbott points out that they are purposefully not using their most potent back court combination so that, more or less, they don't blow their wad too early.

SenorSpur
01-22-2008, 08:02 PM

Don't know. I wonder how the Spurs brass views him. He's obviously got a good mid-range game - something very few guys on the current roster have. Good FT shooter and rebounder, too.

bigdog
01-22-2008, 08:24 PM
I don't understand why some of you want to get rid of Finley. Yes, Barry might be one of our hottest shooters, but that's all he is, a spot-up shooter. He is very good at it, but he can't create anything. Mike Fin, in my opinion, still has alot left in the tank, and I think we can still get 2 or 3 more solid years from him. I think most of you underestimate Finley, and don't appreciate what he can do for this team. If Barry was to be traded, I would hope it's for a 3rd PG, maybe a scorer-type guy. We have a very,very solid guy in Vaughn that I love, and he is a true PG, a leader on and off the court, and he understands the system and directs it very well. That's fine and dandy, but when Tony needs some extra rest and Vaughn comes out of the game, we couldd always use a scorer at the PG position.

With that being said, Sczerbiak might look good right now, but he is injury prone, and I wouldn't risk getting him and having him inactive because of injuries down the road. Besides, his contract is huge and we can't take on a contract like that.

Cassell is too old, no matter how good he might be playing. So I think you know my answer to this.....NO!

Remember, it seems like Pop and crew are taking a good look at Jeremy Richardson, and I think he can develop into a well-rounded player for us. He has shown in his limited playing time that he isn't afraid to take shots when he's open, and thats a very good sign. Just the fact that they even re-signed him to another 10-day contract tells you something about him. At the end of this contract, they could very well sign him for the rest of the season. So if you think we need to trade for another wing player, watch out because I think we might already have him.

I think most of you seem to have not noticed that Horry's playing time has pretty much evaporated recently, and he was inactive in the Charlotte game. There have been rumors that he doesn't trust Pop to take this team to a back-to-back championship, and even when he does play, he hasn't played very well. Now, I know this is where you're gonna come in and say "Just wait till the playoffs, he'll be fine", but I think right now the roster spot he is taking up is being wasted. I'm not saying to trade him, but if it happened, I wouldn't mind it. I think Rob is a good player when he is playing well, but he hasn't shown much production this season.

And for the Elson haters, I know he hasn't done much this year, but I still believe that if he was used the right way in this system, he can be very productive. He just needs the opporitunity to go out there and play the way that I think he is capable of playing. He's not a post-up guy, he might not have a vast array of offensive moves or skills, but in the right situations he can produce. He is a shooter, slasher, and very athletic. If Pop has him coming off some type of baseline cut, or if they looked for him more on pick and rolls and pick and pops, I think he can score about 8 ppg, which wouldn't hurt us. I think Oberto is a good player, but he is overrated. I love the guy, and he's done well for us, but Pop has to give Elson a chance to prove that he is at least the 2nd center on the depth chart. Horry has fallen out of favor as far as playing time is concerned, and Bonner is an outside guy. Sure, he has all the hustle and energy in the world, and we all love that about him, but you can't expect much else out of him besides the rebounds and 3 point shooting.

All in all, I think our backcourt is fine. It's the FRONTCOURT that we need to solidify. Just give Elson more playing time, let him do what he does best on the court, which is run, cut, and shoot, and we'll see what you guys think about that. Maybe a Barry trade for a 3rd PG, and we should be fine.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-22-2008, 08:34 PM
I honestly think this is the season where Pop makes a pretty big trade before the deadline. This team is not very good the way it is right now and I don't see it changing for the better. IMO

Could've said exactly the same thing at exactly the same time last year...

The only guy I'd part with from this roster is Elson - Udoka is rounding into form nicely, Barry's shooting and passing are essential to the bench, Bonner's energy can be fantastic if only Pop would use him properly.

However, something that must be considered in any trade is that it takes a long time for a player to get used to the system here, so either the player has to be very smart or able to contribute something largely outside of the system. Thus, I think it's unlikely that Pop makes a major trade. He might swap Elson for someone like Pietrus, but then again that would leave us short on bigs.

Most of the trades in this thread don't make any sense for both teams, but Elson for Pietrus actually does for both teams - Golden State are short on big men (Biedrins, Harrington IS IT!) and have too many wings, while Elson is the sort of big that can run the floor and thus would fit their system. Intriguing. But it relies on the premise that Horry still has something left in the tank, and I'm not very sure about that... he may be done. If that is the case, we'd then be severely short on bigs.

BTW, nice to have you back GW! :D

manufor3
01-22-2008, 08:46 PM
What about this Spurs-Hawks trade?
http://www.realgm.com/src_checktrade.php?tradeid=4429530

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-22-2008, 08:50 PM
What about this Spurs-Hawks trade?
http://www.realgm.com/src_checktrade.php?tradeid=4429530
Although that's a good trade, I wouldn't trade for a developing big since we already have Mahinmi and Splitter coming in.

e20dylan
01-22-2008, 09:02 PM
Could've said exactly the same thing at exactly the same time last year...

The only guy I'd part with from this roster is Elson - Udoka is rounding into form nicely, Barry's shooting and passing are essential to the bench, Bonner's energy can be fantastic if only Pop would use him properly.

However, something that must be considered in any trade is that it takes a long time for a player to get used to the system here, so either the player has to be very smart or able to contribute something largely outside of the system. Thus, I think it's unlikely that Pop makes a major trade. He might swap Elson for someone like Pietrus, but then again that would leave us short on bigs.

Most of the trades in this thread don't make any sense for both teams, but Elson for Pietrus actually does for both teams - Golden State are short on big men (Biedrins, Harrington IS IT!) and have too many wings, while Elson is the sort of big that can run the floor and thus would fit their system. Intriguing. But it relies on the premise that Horry still has something left in the tank, and I'm not very sure about that... he may be done. If that is the case, we'd then be severely short on bigs.

BTW, nice to have you back GW! :D

theres no way we can get rid of elson without another big man in return. horry is not gonna fill his shoes.

Ocotillo
01-22-2008, 09:36 PM
theres no way we can get rid of elson without another big man in return. horry is not gonna fill his shoes.

Where's Melvin Ely when you need him?

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-22-2008, 10:28 PM

Well, Elson isn't in the rotation outside garbage time, so there are no shoes to fill. Injury would be the concern.

TDMVPDPOY
01-22-2008, 10:53 PM
how about a trade for kaman?

chewbaca

genomefreak13
01-22-2008, 11:27 PM
YOU KNOW WHAT THEY SAY- IF ITS NOT BROKEN DONT FIX IT. The spurs is not a losing team as of yet. Its only that, the contest this year in the west is tougher, so no team can go ahead decisively at this point (so that fans like us can feel easy and secure). So don't go crazy calling the handyman!

I don't think a trade would suit the spurs' best interest. I would rather keep the current roster and add new guys through free agency. The biggest mistake, Pop made when they got the championship way back in 2004 was to make major changes in the roster the subsequent year (I'm talking about stephen jackson). I think Pop recognized this too...that's why he opted to stick with last year's lineup. Unfortunately, injuries took its toll on the team (because of the wear and tear I guess...) that why we are slumping a bit.

Rebuilding is for the post season not for the mid-season. Teams who trades at this time are those teams who are desperate for a breathe of air and seeking to change their misfortune. It's a short term (and wrong) solution for a long term problem. If I were the knicks or heat I'd do it!

I know, there has been trades that benefited some teams but this only comes once in a blue moon. I don't think it's wise to bet our title defense on sheer luck. I'd rather stick with the original plan than re-plan everything in the middle of the season (unless of course, trading was originally part of the plan).

Ghost Writer
01-23-2008, 09:33 AM
The team still needs its first quality backup PG since Speedy Claxton and Terry Porter before him.

And a shot in the arm.

BacktoBasics
01-23-2008, 10:01 AM
The team still needs its first quality backup PG since Speedy Claxton and Terry Porter before him.

And a shot in the arm.
I cringe at the thought of it but Fisher would have been a perfect fit.

AFBlue
01-23-2008, 01:09 PM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA012308.SpursMailbag.en.4b2d8b3e.html

Do you think the Spurs will make some moves before the deadline? They could use another guy that can create his own shot. Perhaps addition by subtraction? What are your thoughts?

-- Rohit, Toronto

A deadline deal for another shooter/scorer certainly isn’t out of the question. Certainly, the Spurs have enough expiring contracts to make one feasible.

Whether or not the Spurs opt to wade into the trade market will depend in large part on how they diagnose the problems that have led them to sink to sixth place in the West. There is a sense within the organization that the Spurs have been losing because they’ve been injured. Now that they’ve returned to full strength, the belief is that the Spurs should be getting their groove back any time now.

If that happens, we’d bet against any kind of extreme makeover between now and Feb. 21. If the team continues to struggle even while healthy, then all bets are off.

Found this at the bottom of the Duncan All-Star article. I find it interesting that he points out the need for another shooter/scorer and not for frontline help.

I think this fits right in line with the possibility of Mickael Pietrus, Rasual Butler, Damien Wilkins, JR Smith, and probably a few others that I've forgotten.

Looks like it's at least a legitimate discussion if they continue to struggle.

SenorSpur
01-23-2008, 01:18 PM
I don't think a trade would suit the spurs' best interest. I would rather keep the current roster and add new guys through free agency. The biggest mistake, Pop made when they got the championship way back in 2004 was to make major changes in the roster the subsequent year (I'm talking about stephen jackson). I think Pop recognized this too...that's why he opted to stick with last year's lineup. Unfortunately, injuries took its toll on the team (because of the wear and tear I guess...) that why we are slumping a bit.

Isn't it interesting how the Spurs have not been able to adequately replace the skills and mindset that Jax brought to the table. Yes we've won titles since his departure - which "waters down" my point somewhat. Also, saying that Jax has had off-court issues would be a collosal understatement. However, the dude was a key contributor to that 2003 championship team. His shooting, on-court killer instincts and skills have been missed.

Ghost Writer
01-23-2008, 01:36 PM
Senor Spur, you may not remember me, but I am the biggest S-Jax fan. The tradeoff of dealing with the antics of a balla is that a guy like that has the balls to take the big shots and rallies the troops on the sidelines.

And I don't remember him getting into trouble in San An.

Incidentally, he is Captain of the Warriors now.

But looking forward, it would be nice to have some athleticism and creaivity in the rotation outside of the Big Three.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-23-2008, 01:38 PM
could devin brown have been a "future stephen jackson" for us or are their games that different?

I mean S Jax had some major kahunas when it came to taking big shots, but I always felt Brown could've developed real nicely (though I was still iffy on his jumper) had he stayed.

Ghost Writer
01-23-2008, 01:40 PM
Devin Brown did not have "it." The fact that he has failed to distinguish himself on the offensively-challenged Cavs with former Spurs assistant Mike Brown as the coach speaks volumes. You mean to tell me he could not beat out Hughes or Gibson or Pavlovic?

D. Brown has no range, which S-Jax has.

SenorSpur
01-23-2008, 01:50 PM
Senor Spur, you may not remember me, but I am the biggest S-Jax fan. The tradeoff of dealing with the antics of a balla is that a guy like that has the balls to take the big shots and rallies the troops on the sidelines.

And I don't remember him getting into trouble in San An.

Incidentally, he is Captain of the Warriors now.

But looking forward, it would be nice to have some athleticism and creaivity in the rotation outside of the Big Three.

My apologies GW. I certainly did forget that you, sir, have been a long time, card-carrying member of the S-Jax fan club. Gotta give you your props on that one. :toast

It would've been interesting if the Spurs and Jax could've worked out a way to stay together. Who knows? Perhaps the Spurs would've never needed to sign Barry in the first place. I know, I know. The "what if" game again.

I don't see them bringing anyone this season, unless the bottom completely falls apart and they stay around a 5th or 6th seed for the duration.

But again I'm with you on this one GW. I'm hoping the Spurs get this B2B championship first, then go out and finally bring up some much-needed athleticism at the 2-3-4 spot. Ideally, a mid-range-aged player (Jones, Maggette) and a young rook would be ideal.

ChumpDumper
01-23-2008, 03:47 PM
Jack is not available.

Who is?

v2freak
01-23-2008, 04:27 PM
Of all the players that can be traded, I wouldn't mind see Elson go. Wally sounds like a good candidate; I was a big fan of his when I lived in MA. He didn't get as many Tommy points as Ricky Davis did, but he did a great job there.

pad300
01-23-2008, 04:41 PM
Jack is not available.

Who is?

Apparently Nocioni...

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/50464/20080123/bulls_discuss_nocioni_trade_with_nets/

Possibilities including a proposed Spurs trade (bottom of page 1) here:

http://www.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=753239

baseline bum
01-23-2008, 04:55 PM
Senor Spur, you may not remember me, but I am the biggest S-Jax fan.

What? :dizzy

I've been a Jack fan since the days you were sharing beds with men in your hotel while saying Whitney>Parker.

ChumpDumper
01-23-2008, 05:28 PM
Apparently Nocioni...

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/50464/20080123/bulls_discuss_nocioni_trade_with_nets/

Possibilities including a proposed Spurs trade (bottom of page 1) here:

http://www.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=753239Since the Spurs really only have expiring deals to offer, I'm not sure a trade could be worked out with the Bulls.

Indazone
01-23-2008, 05:32 PM
Scola for Ginobili! lol

ChumpDumper
01-23-2008, 05:33 PM
lakerfans are funny. rocketfans, not so much.

pad300
01-23-2008, 05:48 PM
Since the Spurs really only have expiring deals to offer, I'm not sure a trade could be worked out with the Bulls.

That is essentially the deal being discussed with NJ

Nocioni and Selofosha for Magloire (Expiring), Nachbar (Expiring), Marcus Williams (2nd year prospect PG, who doesn't seem to be panning out), Antoine Wright (Expiring). It needs some fine tuning to make it work by the CBA (as Nocioni is BYC).

ChumpDumper
01-23-2008, 05:56 PM
The Bulls would probably only keep two of those players. Given the relative youth of those involved, it's fair to think it's not just a salary dump. I think they are interested in Williams since Gordon and Duhon are likely gone after the season -- this might have triggered several other deals for them.

pad300
01-23-2008, 06:19 PM
The Bulls would probably only keep two of those players. Given the relative youth of those involved, it's fair to think it's not just a salary dump. I think they are interested in Williams since Gordon and Duhon are likely gone after the season -- this might have triggered several other deals for them.

You think the Bulls are going to keep 2 of those players? I think they might keep one - Williams (and only because they can't get rid of him at the end of the season). Magloire and Nachbar are only valued for their expiring status. My opinion of Wright is that he is a scrub (although others might disagree)...with an expiring contract (the Nets declined to pick up the 4th year on his rookie contract) - they would do better with a Dleague/Foreigner/2 round pick. Finally, Williams has a rookie contract, with the 3ed year (08/09) picked up on it. Year 4 would be at the Bulls option...and judging by what he's done so far, they won't pick it up.

ChumpDumper
01-23-2008, 06:31 PM
You think the Bulls are going to keep 2 of those players?For the season, yes -- they have to let two go because they are already carrying 15.
Magloire and Nachbar are only valued for their expiring status.Nachbar is decent, I figure they would keep him and Williams then decide whether to keep them this summer. They can keep those two players for less than half the price of Nocioni.

pad300
01-23-2008, 06:52 PM
For the season, yes -- they have to let two go because they are already carrying 15. Nachbar is decent, I figure they would keep him and Williams then decide whether to keep them this summer. They can keep those two players for less than half the price of Nocioni.

I was actually thinking more long term (ie past the end of this season). I believe the bulls currently have 3 players on non-guaranteed minimum contracts (Demetris Nichols, Aaron Gray, Jameson Curry). I would expect them to drop Nichols and Curry, just because those contracts are not guaranteed. (and I don't think that Curry and Nichols have even played a game for them yet). They might try and resign Snackbar, but I wouldn't bother if I were them. If they do this trade, they are still in a rebuilding phase, and the roster spot to check out another prospect is worth more than Snackbar...

ChumpDumper
01-23-2008, 07:12 PM
They're in a rebuilding phase?

SequSpur
01-23-2008, 07:39 PM
And a shot in the arm.

Exactly.

MI21
01-23-2008, 07:47 PM
Please, the king of Jack fans will always be me! :)

:lol

About the trades, I don't see anything major happening. Maybe they rid themsevles of Elson for a draft pick and bring Mahinmi up, something along those lines. If they were able to snag Pietrus for Elson, that would be amazing. I still see a lot of potential in him, despite his seemingly low BballIQ. But parting with a major piece of the puzzle just doesn't seem Spur-like.

jay014
01-23-2008, 08:22 PM
Maybe they rid themsevles of Elson for a draft pick and bring Mahinmi up, something along those lines. .
Maybe an Elson trade for a draft pick would work if it were the 80's and draft went 7 rounds so there's a slim chance now since there's only 2.

pad300
01-23-2008, 11:11 PM
They're in a rebuilding phase?

If they are dumping Nocioni for what New Jersey is offering, they are...

ChumpDumper
01-23-2008, 11:18 PM
If they are dumping Nocioni for what New Jersey is offering, they are...If they dump Ben Wallace, I'll believe it. As it is they are just making the choice between Deng and Nocioni they should have made long ago.

pad300
01-24-2008, 12:24 AM
If they dump Ben Wallace, I'll believe it. As it is they are just making the choice between Deng and Nocioni they should have made long ago.

Not if all they're getting back for Nocioni is capspace (which is all that the deal they are contemplating with NJ is...). There are weakpoints on the current team that need addressing (eg. post scoring), and Nocioni is there only significant trade bait (other than picks of course).

ChumpDumper
01-24-2008, 12:27 AM
which is all that the deal they are contemplating with NJ isMaybe, maybe not. Considering the players involved, they could keep a couple of them. They aren't blowing this team up, they are removing a logjam and likely setting up further deals.
There are weakpoints on the current team that need addressing (eg. post scoring)What post scorers are available?

AFBlue
01-24-2008, 12:35 AM
Nocioni ain't happening, so what's with the argument?

pad300
01-24-2008, 12:48 AM
Maybe, maybe not. Considering the players involved, they could keep a couple of them. They aren't blowing this team up, they are removing a logjam and likely setting up further deals.What post scorers are available?

Post scoring was an example, not the be all and end all of their problems. Their PG slot has looked ugly as well this year. They might be able to set up some sort of deal for Miller out of Philly...Andre Miller would be a huge improvement over their current PG play.

Nocioni ain't happening, so what's with the argument?
We're not arguing, just discussing. No one has starting swearing or using ALL CAPS yet...
Chump asked the question who might be available that the Spurs would be interested in a page or so back. I suggested Nocioni due to published reports that the Bulls and Nets are trying to set up a deal with Nocioni as the centerpiece...

ChumpDumper
01-24-2008, 12:51 AM
Their PG slot has looked ugly as well this year.And they were potentially trading for a what was it again? Point guard. Now it's perfectly possible that they might like the combination of Barry's skills and his expiring deal among others, but then we are the team with holes and logjams afterwards.

T Park
01-24-2008, 12:53 AM
Damn, wish the Spurs could trade for Nocioni...

Nocioni would literally make the Spurs unbeatable.

A big 3 4 next to Duncan like that that rebounds like a madman and bags the three and can penetrate?

Hot damn...

genomefreak13
01-24-2008, 04:02 AM

And a shot in the arm.

I agree with you GW. The team do need a more decent point guard than vaughn. Fortunately, the means of getting it doesn,t have to be through a trade. I think we can improve on that aspect without disrupting the team's peace (and the player's security of tenure). I'm not sure if Earl Watson is already signed, I think he would be a perfect fit for the following reasons:

1. He's a natural and quality point guard
2. He has a good range with his jumpshot (and pretty accurate too)
3. He's a little devil that can break down defenses (in a way that parker does it).
4. He's porter and claxton combined (porter since he can shoot from the outside very well and claxton since he can slide inside for a nice finish)

venitian navigator
01-24-2008, 04:23 AM
what about this :

Nocioni -Safolosha - Duhon for Barry (expiring) Elson (expiring) Bonner (replacing for bulls part of what what Nocioni gives at a lower price) and a first choice ? I think it could be a better package of the net's one....

Ghost Writer
01-24-2008, 09:43 AM
genomefreak13, Earl Watson is a quality PG. He starts for Seattle and I like his high assists totals for such an awful team. I don't know if the Sonics would just fork him over, because they don't seem to trust Luke Ridnour fully.

P.S.

baseline bum, it's been over 5 years and you still contort the facts.

1. I did not share a bed with a man. My buddy and fellow Spurs fan travelled across the country and shared a hotel room to support the Spurs.

2. Many Spurs fans were anointing Tony Parker as the second coming in his second season, while I simply pointed out that journeyman Chris Whitney had better stats at the time.

3. I targeted Stephen Jackson as a low-cost steal for the Spurs when he caught my eye when he played for the Nets.

"Stop, stop, stop, stop, stop... (Oo)
Stop, hatin' on a brotha
that is a weak emotion
The lady of a brotha" - Lil Weezy

tav1
01-24-2008, 12:45 PM
I go back and forth on whether or not the Spurs will move anyone. But with Udoka emerging and Barry's ball movement and ability to run point, I think Elson is the only player they should consider dealing, unless someone makes them a can't say no offer.

Elson and #1 for Villanueva still looks like a winner to me. Villanueva would give them a scoring 4 that could play alongside Duncan in a small ball line-up, but he has the height and length to match up with Stoudemire and Nowitski. He'd be on the payroll next season, but a front court rotation of Duncan, Villanueva, Splitter, Mahinmi and Oberto gives them a lot of flexibility and looks, and allows them to move Bonner, if they were in a cap crunch.

Elson for Chandler and Balkman works, but I don't see the incentive, aside from a cash drop, for NY. Neither of these players would help this year, but Balkman could make rotation next year and Chandler is Toros prospect. Their deals drop off in 2009.

Elson for Rasual Butler works (suggested by someone else), and would be attractive to the Hornets because Butler is contracted for a few more years. Because of this, the Spurs might not want to go this direction.

Elson for Channing Fyre could probably happen, and I have no doubt that Frye is more talented than Elson. But I'm not sure how well he fits in the broader picture or how he'd play with Duncan.

Ghost Writer
01-24-2008, 12:57 PM
I have no qualms about trading draft picks.

The Spurs are in "win now" mode until Duncan retires.

I don't see drafting and developing as a short-term solution.

Admiral
01-24-2008, 02:28 PM
I have not posted here in a really long time, and the first thing I see when I log in is Ghost Writer proposing trades. Classic! :lol

Does DizzG post here yet or did he stay loyal to Dusty Garza? "IMO :hat"

T Park
01-24-2008, 02:29 PM
Wow, is this old school week? :lol

Good to see Admiral on board :)

timvp
01-24-2008, 02:31 PM
I have not posted here in a really long time, and the first thing I see when I log in is Ghost Writer proposing trades. Classic! :lol

Does DizzG post here yet or did he stay loyal to Dusty Garza? "IMO :hat"Damn. First GW awakes from a slumber and now Admiral?

Nice.

:hat

T Park
01-24-2008, 02:31 PM
Nocioni -Safolosha - Duhon for Barry (expiring) Elson (expiring) Bonner (replacing for bulls part of what what Nocioni gives at a lower price) and a first choice ? I think it could be a better package of the net's one....

No way in hell the Bulls do that, but I would do that trade so fast your head would spin.

baseline bum
01-24-2008, 02:33 PM
Shit, Casper and 1.56 are here? What next? FunkTiger or Kluby? myballs?

Ghost Writer
01-24-2008, 02:34 PM
The more things change...

timvp, you should do a new post to reintroduce some of us old timers.

I know some of the classic posters here, but who are some of these young @sses?

Admiral
01-24-2008, 02:37 PM
Is Marcus Bryant still here? If so, I would pay money to see he and Ghost Writer fight - just like old times. :lol

timvp
01-24-2008, 02:37 PM

Does DizzG post here yet or did he stay loyal to Dusty Garza? "IMO :hat"Oh and what's up? You still South Carolina ballin'?

Admiral
01-24-2008, 02:38 PM
Oh and what's up? You still South Carolina ballin'?

Yep. Things are great here, just really busy. Hope you're doing well also!

timvp
01-24-2008, 02:40 PM
The more things change...

timvp, you should do a new post to reintroduce some of us old timers.You sticking around this time? Last time I re-introduced you, you disappeared for another six months :depressed

I know some of the classic posters here, but who are some of these young @sses?Championships fill bandwagons. Four championships.

Do the math.

:smokin

timvp
01-24-2008, 02:43 PM
Yep. Things are great here, just really busy. Hope you're doing well also!Good to hear. And yeah, we're good.

Admiral needs to dock his ship. I'm tired of answering the "Whatever happened to Admiral?" question.

:hat

AFBlue
01-24-2008, 11:00 PM
Saw Barry go down tonight, but I didn't hear any prognosis....what's the word?

And if it's serious (out a couple weeks), doesn't that increase the chance of a trade for a wing player?

TDMVPDPOY
01-24-2008, 11:13 PM
means more of udoka yay

VaSpursFan
01-24-2008, 11:16 PM
Saw Barry go down tonight, but I didn't hear any prognosis....what's the word?

And if it's serious (out a couple weeks), doesn't that increase the chance of a trade for a wing player?

i'm thinking barry might be out a month or so...i'd like to see a move just to shake things up, but i doubt it.

AFBlue
01-24-2008, 11:21 PM
i'm thinking barry might be out a month or so...i'd like to see a move just to shake things up, but i doubt it.

Neither Bonner or Elson had a single minute tonight....even after a wing player went down and their small-ball lineup took a hit.

That should tell us something....Pop has little to no confidence in either. If the Spurshave the opportunity to make a trade to bring back a G/F and get rid of one of these guys (Elson preferably), I think they'd do it.

Pietrus/Butler/Wilkins/JR Smith for Elson......DO IT!

ChumpDumper
01-24-2008, 11:24 PM
That should tell us something.Nah, this is Pop. Nothing means anything until it does.

Besides, if he doesn't trust two big men, why would he pick up a wing player?

TDMVPDPOY
01-24-2008, 11:27 PM
barry is rarely used anyway in the playoffs

if we want a fkn deal, do this

trade barry/elson/bonner + picks to phili for iguodola + reggie evans

we get a wing player and a solid rebounder, or:

trade to bulls for nocioni + noah

AFBlue
01-24-2008, 11:28 PM
Nah, this is Pop. Nothing means anything until it does.

Besides, if he doesn't trust two big men, why would he pick up a wing player?

:lol

Dizzying intellect, but I see what you're saying. I'm just trying to be optimisic that the Spurs are going to dump Elson's sorry ass and actually get a player that has the ability to contribute.

ChumpDumper
01-24-2008, 11:29 PM
noah
:flypig

T Park
01-25-2008, 12:08 AM
even after a wing player went down and their small-ball lineup took a hit.

Maybe because Bonner can't matchup with smaller quicker players?

I'm just throwin that out there....

ss1986v2
01-26-2008, 11:43 AM
ok, time to dial back some of the more wild trade ideas, and try a good ol' lateral move:

spurs trade: elson, 2008 2nd round pick, cash (300k-800k)
spurs receive: patrick o'bryant

warriors trade: patrick o'bryant
warriors receive: elson, 2008 2nd round pick, cash (300k-800k)

why for the warriors: pob is out of the rotation, and has been for most of his career. nelson seems to have no desire to give him any PT, and the organization has seemed to give up on him (declining his option last summer, making him an UFA this summer). elson probably wont see anymore time than pob, but at least he is slightly more productive. the real reason for this would be to acquire the pick while giving up nothing.

why for the spurs: elson may very well be out of the rotation, so the downgrade to pob is of no concern (especially if ian replaces elson as the 4th/5th big). the real reason for this move is the 750k or so this deal saves under the tax line. correct me if im wrong, but that would be enough wiggle room to immediately sign a minimum player for the rest of the year (richardson?). so this move doesnt thin them any more at the 4/5, while giving them the ability to sign richardson now (or whoever else they want) for the rest of the year without having to go over the tax line.

AFBlue
01-26-2008, 11:52 AM
How about another swingman possiblity.....

Apparently Gerald Green's agent has requested a trade as his client has clearly fallen out of the rotation and is not in the future plans of the T-Wolves, having his next-year option declined by the team.

I don't know about you, but this reminds me of a few seasons back with the almost-trade of Barry for JR Smith. Green has a world of talent and is still young enough to develop under the right tutiledge. I think the Spurs should make a play for this kid and if it doesn't work out, he's a FA at the end of the season....it's a no-lose situation.

What do you think?

tav1
01-26-2008, 03:15 PM
Although, I'd like to be done with Bonner's contract, I think the Spurs hold on to him. When Barry come back, we'll have enough swings. I see Elson, who is worth very liitle to the Spurs at this point, being moved for either another big or a point/combo guard.

If the Spurs can move Elson and save 500,000 on whomever they receive back, then they could afford to sign a Jeremy Richardson type for the remainder of the season.

My list of potentials, that fits the above criteria remains: Villanueva, Frye, and Juan Dixon.

A team that intrigues me is Portland. As others have pointed out, they have a surplus of players when one counts their international rights. Three players on their roster, all whose contracts they may wish to shed, are Jarrett Jack, Martell Webster and Frye. Given our point situation, Jack might be especially helpful to the Spurs. Elson for Jack and Frye works, but is so lopsided in terms of talent that Portland would probably demur--it does clear some cap for them, however. The Spurs would take back two players that they can use, but at the cost of additional 600,000 this season and 3.6 next season. It's the sort of proposition both teams would probably think through.

THE SIXTH MAN
01-26-2008, 03:20 PM
Marcus Blount >>>>>> Horry replacement then Bonner. I'm not saying the Spurs should trade for him now. Just hope the F.O. pursues a player like him in the future.

td4mvp21
01-26-2008, 03:38 PM
Marcus Blount >>>>>> Horry replacement then Bonner. I'm not saying the Spurs should trade for him now. Just hope the F.O. pursues a player like him in the future.

I thought about Blount this morning, but looking at his career stats, he needs to play basically 30 mpg to be effective with points AND rebounds. He averaged a career high 7 rpg one season, but he was playing 31 mpg. This year with Miami, he plays 16 mpg and grabs 2.8 rpg. That's worse than Elson-he averages 3.90 rpg in 14.4 mpg. He averages 6 ppg this season. His highest average is 10 or 12 ppg-but again, it took him 31 mpg to get that average.

td4mvp21
01-26-2008, 03:45 PM
Reggie Evans would be nice. He's not really a shot blocker but he is a very good rebounder. He's averaging 8 rpg in 25mpg with 76ers, along with 5 points. I'm not sure how important he is to the 76ers though.

SenorSpur
01-26-2008, 03:48 PM
I have no qualms about trading draft picks.

The Spurs are in "win now" mode until Duncan retires.

I don't see drafting and developing as a short-term solution.

While I agree that Duncan's presence means the Spurs should be and are contending for titles every year - that's a good thing.

I disagree with the notion that the team cannot afford to infuse their veteran-laden, (old-ass) roster with at least 1 or 2 young, developing players. Players that have done their D-league development tenure and simply need some occasional PT.

Every year, the Spurs go through these "dog days" in the middle of the season when they look either uninspired, unmotivated or simply lack energy. It is precisely during these times when the team's play could be uplifted by the contributions of 1 or 2 young, hungry, athletic players. We've seen recent examples as to the advantages of this approach last week in Houston, and more recently with Detroit and a few other teams.

Barkley said it best. The core of this team has played 100+ games every year for several years - not to mention the slew of international competition. A player in his 30's cannot bring it every night - especially on the B2B situations or those 4-in-5 situations. Barkley talked extensively as to how this affected him late in his career.

As this roster gets older, it's a short-sighted approach to continue banking solely on a roster full of aging veterans. A roster of players that, while battle-tested, willand have become susceptible to injury.

At some point, there WILL be a point of diminishing returns. To me, the Spurs shouldn't wait until the "wheels fall off the wagon" to develop a young player or two.

AFBlue
01-26-2008, 03:50 PM
Although, I'd like to be done with Bonner's contract, I think the Spurs hold on to him. When Barry come back, we'll have enough swings. I see Elson, who is worth very liitle to the Spurs at this point, being moved for either another big or a point/combo guard.

If the Spurs can move Elson and save 500,000 on whomever they receive back, then they could afford to sign a Jeremy Richardson type for the remainder of the season.

My list of potentials, that fits the above criteria remains: Villanueva, Frye, and Juan Dixon.

A team that intrigues me is Portland. As others have pointed out, they have a surplus of players when one counts their international rights. Three players on their roster, all whose contracts they may wish to shed, are Jarrett Jack, Martell Webster and Frye. Given our point situation, Jack might be especially helpful to the Spurs. Elson for Jack and Frye works, but is so lopsided in terms of talent that Portland would probably demur--it does clear some cap for them, however. The Spurs would take back two players that they can use, but at the cost of additional 600,000 this season and 3.6 next season. It's the sort of proposition both teams would probably think through.

Portland is looking strong and will be vying for a playoff spot this year. Very rarely do playoff-bound teams makes trades with one another when they might see eachother at a critical point in the year. I agree that the Blazers have some interesting prospects and some salary that they'd like to get rid of (LaFrentz, Miles, etc.), but I would look for those to be moved this summer more than likely.

For the Spurs' prospects on trading, I would look to the bottom-feeder teams that are more than likely out of it by the Feb deadline.

tav1
01-26-2008, 04:57 PM
Portland is looking strong and will be vying for a playoff spot this year. Very rarely do playoff-bound teams makes trades with one another when they might see eachother at a critical point in the year. I agree that the Blazers have some interesting prospects and some salary that they'd like to get rid of (LaFrentz, Miles, etc.), but I would look for those to be moved this summer more than likely.

For the Spurs' prospects on trading, I would look to the bottom-feeder teams that are more than likely out of it by the Feb deadline.

Then it's Villanueva!

In all seriousness, I agree that Portland is a long shot. But Pritchard is no fool--meaning he can do salary cap math, count to 15, and knows that there is no way Portland wins the title this year. He's planning for the future, and he might be willing to make a deal, especially with old friends.

There is also this: saddling the Spurs with nearly 4 million in cap hurts their chances of getting James Jones this offseason. Pritchard can only like that.

He may not trade with the Spurs, but I'll be shocked if he doesn't trade at all.

Ghost Writer
01-26-2008, 08:32 PM
SenorSpur, I hear you, but don't you agree that it takes 1-2 years for good rookies to start contributing... and then they can leave after the third year, right?

Question.

Ghost Writer
01-27-2008, 04:07 PM
Find someone looking for cap space and dump Barry on 'em.

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-27-2008, 05:10 PM
ok, time to dial back some of the more wild trade ideas, and try a good ol' lateral move:

spurs trade: elson, 2008 2nd round pick, cash (300k-800k)
spurs receive: patrick o'bryant

warriors trade: patrick o'bryant
warriors receive: elson, 2008 2nd round pick, cash (300k-800k)

why for the warriors: pob is out of the rotation, and has been for most of his career. nelson seems to have no desire to give him any PT, and the organization has seemed to give up on him (declining his option last summer, making him an UFA this summer). elson probably wont see anymore time than pob, but at least he is slightly more productive. the real reason for this would be to acquire the pick while giving up nothing.

why for the spurs: elson may very well be out of the rotation, so the downgrade to pob is of no concern (especially if ian replaces elson as the 4th/5th big). the real reason for this move is the 750k or so this deal saves under the tax line. correct me if im wrong, but that would be enough wiggle room to immediately sign a minimum player for the rest of the year (richardson?). so this move doesnt thin them any more at the 4/5, while giving them the ability to sign richardson now (or whoever else they want) for the rest of the year without having to go over the tax line.

hsxvvd
01-27-2008, 05:59 PM
As an expiring contract, Barry would have some value, but he's probably worth more to us this year than anything that appears to be out there.

It's also hard for us to pull off a mid-year trade and expect any significant contribution from whoever we get, given how long it takes for players to adapt to the system.

hsxvvd
01-27-2008, 06:00 PM

Great, so O'Bryant can keep the bench warm while Pop plays Small Ball.

AFBlue
01-27-2008, 06:01 PM
As an expiring contract, Barry would have some value, but he's probably worth more to us this year than anything that appears to be out there.

It's also hard for us to pull off a mid-year trade and expect any significant contribution from whoever we get, given how long it takes for players to adapt to the system.

Elson's $3M contract is also expiring. Spurs could add another wing or backcourt player....

And there has been at least one player that has come over and contributed almost immediately....Nazr Mohammed.

ChumpDumper
01-27-2008, 06:05 PM
Nazr actually did something in the NBA prior to that though.

I don't feel like doing the Warriors any favors.

AFBlue
01-27-2008, 06:06 PM
Nazr actually did something in the NBA prior to that though.

I don't feel like doing the Warriors any favors.

Pietrus might actually contribute if he came over to this team.

But, then again I guess he goes against your six-month rental philosophy...

ChumpDumper
01-27-2008, 06:07 PM
Pietrus might actually contribute if he came over to this team.

But, then again I guess he goes against your six-month rental philosophy...
Doubtful.

Is he unrestricted?

AFBlue
01-27-2008, 06:12 PM
Doubtful.

Is he unrestricted?

Yep....along with Green, another available swingman.

ChumpDumper
01-27-2008, 06:14 PM
Yep....along with Green, another available swingman.Forget it then.

ss1986v2
01-27-2008, 06:55 PM
Doubtful.

Is he unrestricted?
yes, and to make matters worse, because he is playing on his QO, if he agrees to a trade (QO players can refuse trades), he becomes a non-bird free agent that next summer. which means if we were to trade for pietrus this year, next year we would have to spend a portion of our MLE to resign him (no bird rights, so we couldnt go over the cap to sign him). so we actually end up paying for him twice, in a way.

and when you figure he makes more than elson (3 mil vs 3.5 mil) and what that would mean to the spurs tax wise, trading elson for pietrus would be like shooting ourselves in both feet.

Ghost Writer
01-27-2008, 08:18 PM
I still think we should look to our old friends PJ Carlessimo or Mike Brown and trade Elson/Barry for some inflated contracts and hope for the best.

W. Szerbiack?

L. Hughes?

Yes, both overrated and expensive, but that's what could make them available.

Seattle wants to stay young and go after the next big free agent.

I bet the Cavs would love to move the disappointing Hughes and bring in a guy who can bang 3s like Barry and Elson (Varejo went down today with an ankle).

I'm just sayin'...

Beggars can't be choosers.

ChumpDumper
01-27-2008, 08:22 PM
Why do you want to trade for players like Hughes and West who suck worse than the players you want them to replace?

Ghost Writer
01-27-2008, 08:28 PM
Barry is hurt.

Elson is worthless.

Ever hear of a reclamation project?

Check out Hughes numbers with the Wizards.

And Wally is better/younger than Barry.

Why do you want to suck?

P.S.

About G. Green... who cares if he walks? You can sign a free agent in the summer.

ChumpDumper
01-27-2008, 08:33 PM
Barry will be back -- and he won't suck when he does come back like Hughes currently does.

Reclamation? The guy is a nine-year vet. And he sucks.
And Wally is better/younger than Barry.It's difficult to think of a worse $12 million player. If we didn't have to trade half the team, it might be worth considering.
Why do you want to suck?Why do you want to trade to suck worse?

Ghost Writer
01-27-2008, 08:35 PM
Okay, stick with Barry and Elson. Popforbid you get creative. Hope the team gets healthy and we get all the breaks like last year.

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-27-2008, 08:36 PM
Okay, stick with Barry and Elson. Popforbid you get creative. Hope the team gets healthy and we get all the breaks like last year.
Well tell us what realistic trade options we have then.

ChumpDumper
01-27-2008, 08:37 PM
I'm all for creativity and trading.

You just suck at creating trades.

kuato
01-27-2008, 08:49 PM
Please hire another argentinian player !! :P

bdictjames
01-27-2008, 08:50 PM
I'd rather get rid of Finley than Barry.

Finley + Elson for Nocioni sounds pretty nice.. but it feels like we are doing Fin a disservice here, considering he did choose San Antonio even though with a low salary (NBA-term wise)

pad300
01-27-2008, 08:53 PM
Well tell us what realistic trade options we have then.

Suggestion- Sign Birdman (Chris Andersen) when he gets reinstated this season. First for a couple of 10 days, to see if he still has it (he used to be a real bundle of energy, shotblocking and rebounding). If he does sign him for the rest of the season (and possibly beyond). To do so, we will have to dump Richardson. Then use Elson (and possibly Bonner and Horry) as trade bait for swing help. Trade Expiring contracts for Expiring contracts or youth. In particular, the T-wolves have Gomes expiring. He might be worth a rental. I'm not so sure about Gerald Green, but he might also be worth considering... I'd also at least talk to the Nuggets about Kleiza, but I doubt he's available.

ChumpDumper
01-27-2008, 08:59 PM
The Hornets have the right of first refusal on Andersen and are said to be likely to take it.

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-27-2008, 09:00 PM
I'd give him a shot but I doubt the Spurs are looking at him.

O.J. Mayonnaise
01-27-2008, 09:02 PM
I can think of a worse 12 million dollar player. His name is Michael Finley.

ChumpDumper
01-27-2008, 09:03 PM
I can think of a worse 12 million dollar player. His name is Michael Finley.That's why the Spurs pay him $3 million.

O.J. Mayonnaise
01-27-2008, 09:10 PM
I'm just saying that If you want a guy to stand in the corner and shoot 3's Szczerbiak is not a bad option. He's shooting 45% from the field and 40% from 3. Finley isn't even shooting 40% from the field.

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-27-2008, 09:10 PM
That's why the Spurs pay him $3 million.:lol

ChumpDumper
01-27-2008, 09:12 PM
I'm just saying that If you want a guy to stand in the corner and shoot 3's Szczerbiak is not a bad option. He's shooting 45% from the field and 40% from 3. Finley isn't even shooting 40% from the field.But his salary is really $12 million and plays no D.

pad300
01-27-2008, 09:12 PM
The Hornets have the right of first refusal on Andersen and are said to be likely to take it.

You think they are going to sign Andersen? I think they would be pretty happy with both their current team and their current chemistry. As I understand it, they have got 30 days to sign him after he is reinstated, otherwise he is an FA. ..

O.J. Mayonnaise
01-27-2008, 09:13 PM
Isn't Finley's salary like 21 million? Aren't the mavs still paying him?

ChumpDumper
01-27-2008, 09:15 PM
You think they are going to sign Andersen? I think they would be pretty happy with both their current team and their current chemistry. As I understand it, they have got 30 days to sign him after he is reinstated, otherwise he is an FA. ..I'm just saying what I read. I don't believe he would put them over the tax threshold and they have an open roster spot. I fail to see any downside for them.

ChumpDumper
01-27-2008, 09:17 PM
Isn't Finley's salary like 21 million? Aren't the mavs still paying him?If the Mavs pay Wally's salary I will gladly welcome him to the Spurs.

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-27-2008, 09:18 PM
If the Mavs pay Wally's salary I will gladly welcome him to the Spurs.
:lmao

O.J. Mayonnaise
01-27-2008, 09:20 PM
I was just giving an example of a worse 12 million dollar player.

ChumpDumper
01-27-2008, 09:21 PM
I was just giving an example of a worse 12 million dollar player.He's a $3 million Spur.

hsxvvd
01-27-2008, 09:23 PM
I'm just saying that If you want a guy to stand in the corner and shoot 3's Szczerbiak is not a bad option. He's shooting 45% from the field and 40% from 3. Finley isn't even shooting 40% from the field.

Szcerbiak is more a mid-range player, he doesn't have Barry's range and is an even worse defender and ball handler.

I still think we should look to our old friends PJ Carlessimo or Mike Brown and trade Elson/Barry for some inflated contracts and hope for the best.

W. Szerbiack?

L. Hughes?

Yes, both overrated and expensive, but that's what could make them available.

Seattle wants to stay young and go after the next big free agent.

I bet the Cavs would love to move the disappointing Hughes and bring in a guy who can bang 3s like Barry and Elson (Varejo went down today with an ankle).

I'm just sayin'...

Beggars can't be choosers.

Hughes is an intereting idea, but he's got a max contract doesn't he? and how many years are left? sounds far too risky and even the best case scenario would see him only earn back-up minutes and still earn max money. He also doesn't seem like the type of player who'd get along with Pop.

O.J. Mayonnaise
01-27-2008, 09:33 PM
Speaking of worse 12 million dollar players, is there a worse shooter in the NBA than Hughes. Not only can't he shoot, he constantly takes bad shots.

ChumpDumper
01-27-2008, 09:37 PM
Ah, Hughes is a worse $12 million player than Szczerbiak.

Good work!

O.J. Mayonnaise
01-27-2008, 09:38 PM
I've got another one. Stephon Marbury. That means Szczerbiak is only the 4th worst 12 million dollar player in the NBA

AFBlue
01-27-2008, 09:42 PM
This isn't exactly a trade, but a new acquisition....

Apparently Don Nelson has said he would like for C-Webb to join the Warriors, and with them being at 15 players already, the most likely candidate to get the boot would be the guy on a 10-day contract.....CJ Watson.

So, if Watson is available for a 10-day contract here in the near future, do you think the Spurs drop Richardson and go after him?

hsxvvd
01-27-2008, 09:47 PM
OK, one that works according to the RealGM trade checker.

Barry (expiring), Elson (expiring) & Bonner to Washington

Antonio Daniels & Thomas to San Antonio (Both have 2 years remaining) They might even throw in a draft pick.

Thoughts?

ChumpDumper
01-27-2008, 09:47 PM
This isn't exactly a trade, but a new acquisition....

Apparently Don Nelson has said he would like for C-Webb to join the Warriors, and with them being at 15 players already, the most likely candidate to get the boot would be the guy on a 10-day contract.....CJ Watson.

So, if Watson is available for a 10-day contract here in the near future, do you think the Spurs drop Richardson and go after him?
The Spurs probably like Watson, but don't you think they might waive someone who isn't getting any time like O'Bryant?

AFBlue
01-27-2008, 09:50 PM
The Spurs probably like Watson, but don't you think they might waive someone who isn't getting any time like O'Bryant?

Guess they could since he's in the last year of his deal....but he's making over $2M and was their lottery pick just a couple years ago. That's a tough pill to swallow.

Still, I guess you could be right...

O.J. Mayonnaise
01-27-2008, 09:52 PM
About all these trade propositions: there's a reason that the Spurs hardly ever make trade deadline deals. If a player is available it usually means he's old, he sucks, or he's overpaid. Otherwise, why would the team want to get rid of him?

ChumpDumper
01-27-2008, 09:54 PM
Guess they could since he's in the last year of his deal....but he's making over $2M and was their lottery pick just a couple years ago. That's a tough pill to swallow.

Still, I guess you could be right...I think they already passed on O'Bryant's option so it doesn't seem like he has any value to them except as a trade throw-in.

Watson is playing pretty big minutes.

AFBlue
01-27-2008, 10:00 PM
About all these trade propositions: there's a reason that the Spurs hardly ever make trade deadline deals. If a player is available it usually means he's old, he sucks, or he's overpaid. Otherwise, why would the team want to get rid of him?

Spurs made a trade deadline deal last year for Melvin Ely to save money and possibly for "big man insurance".

They almost traded Barry for JR Smith two years ago at the deadline, and the deal was only called off because the paperwork came in too late.

Three years ago it was Malik for Nazr....

Shall I go on?

Bottom Line: The Spurs DO make trade deadline deals, but you're right in that they're never for a "star". They're usually cost-cutting or under-the-radar type acquisitions.

If a trade is made I wouldn't expect the Spurs to get rid of a current rotation contributor.

O.J. Mayonnaise
01-27-2008, 10:07 PM
That's the problem, if they don't get rid of a contributor, what can they expect to get back? Teams, excluding the Knicks, aren't going to trade the Spurs good players for horrible ones. The Knicks, on the other hand, are an example of a team that makes a lot of trades. Now, they have a roster full of old, overpaid players who suck.

AFBlue
01-27-2008, 10:14 PM
That's the problem, if they don't get rid of a contributor, what can they expect to get back? Teams, excluding the Knicks, aren't going to trade the Spurs good players for horrible ones. The Knicks, on the other hand, are an example of a team that makes a lot of trades. Now, they have a roster full of old, overpaid players who suck.

Look for players that have fallen out of rotations but still offer decent game. Look for players the Spurs FO previously showed interest in. Look for players that give the Spurs a bit of financial freedom this year and maybe beyond.

There are a few good ones out there (though admittedly with drawbacks) that could be helpful down the stretch. I don't think people thought Nazr was going to be as big a contributor as he was when the Spurs acquired him, but he gladly suprised us.

I still look at JR Smith, but at this point who knows....

O.J. Mayonnaise
01-27-2008, 10:20 PM
Looking at it that way, a player that fits that mold is Marcus Banks in Phoenix. He has fallen out of favor there, but has tons of talent. Maybe, like Udrih, he just needs a change of scenery.

mountainballer
01-28-2008, 06:22 AM
Spurs made a trade deadline deal last year for Melvin Ely to save money and possibly for "big man insurance".

They almost traded Barry for JR Smith two years ago at the deadline, and the deal was only called off because the paperwork came in too late.

Three years ago it was Malik for Nazr....

Shall I go on?

Bottom Line: The Spurs DO make trade deadline deals, but you're right in that they're never for a "star". They're usually cost-cutting or under-the-radar type acquisitions.

If a trade is made I wouldn't expect the Spurs to get rid of a current rotation contributor.

good points, I also don't get why so many people claim, that the Spurs don't or won't make trades at deadline. the answer is, that they constantly work on deadline trades. the only almost sure thing is, that it won't be a blockbuster.
if they once did a trade when the team was on track for a 64 wins season (2005), there should be enough reason to consider a trade when they are just playing a projected 54 wins season.

I'm looking at some Eastern teams, there are some scenarios, that are not unrealistic IMO.
Detroit doesn't use Herrmann. there is a trade restiction, Herrmann can only be traded alone (what makes it a bit difficult, because Spurs don't have the right contract to match), but this restriction expires at 14th of February, just before deadline. after this date it will be easier to build packages the Pistons might be interested in.
Nets are another of those teams. they look like in panic mode and might go for a blockbuster, but if they don't, there are some scenarios for minor trades that might help both teams.
Bonner would fill a need for them and Spurs should like players like Boone, Wright (maybe also Planicic). maybe a swap of Elson for Magloire (plus filler to make the numbers work) would also be worth a thought, since both are not used by their teams. at least there is a chance that they fit better with the other team.

Indy is another team to watch. if JO is out for the season and they find themself out of the PO spots in three weeks, they might decide to start a rebuilding process. which should open a chance to get Foster for expiring contracts.

and Chicago. same situation like the Nets. if they fail to make the blockbuster all are talking about (Gasol), they might at least try to adjust the roster. the have many holes, but also suffer a lot from a lack of leadership of the current players. this might make players like Barry or Finley lokk more valueble for them, than the numbers would indicate.

Ghost Writer
01-28-2008, 09:59 AM
You guys don't have to like or endorse D. West or Wally or Hughes or Green, but the point here is that we should be looking at guys that their teams want to deal or don't need anymore.

All I ask is for some creativity, unless you are in favor of standing pat.

mountainballer
01-28-2008, 10:15 AM
You guys don't have to like or endorse D. West or Wally or Hughes or Green, but the point here is that we should be looking at guys that their teams want to deal or don't need anymore.

never ever heard that the Sonics want to trade West. yes, he has lost his spot in the rotation, but I still think they want to keep him. he will be a restricted FA, so the Sonics can wait what the market will tell about his price.
he will be a nice back-up PG/SG.
but if he could be had (for cheap, like a Spurs 1st round pick), then yes, they should consider this.

tav1
01-28-2008, 11:23 AM

The problem here is that our evaluation(s) of talent is different. All the guys listed above look like duds to me, especially when one considers their contracts. Some of the guys I'd like to see the Spurs target--Jarrett Jack, Charlie Villanueva--might seem like duds to you. Perhaps they're simply not obtainable. Although I suspect that a first round pick and Elson's expiring deal could land either player--unless Portland and Milwaukee insist on using them as sweeteners to unload a Miles or Gadzuric, which would be smart.

hater
01-28-2008, 11:32 AM
I think a trade might be what we need as well

Ghost Writer
01-28-2008, 11:33 AM
I like Villanueva, but I don't know if he solves our need for a perimeter threat, i.e. someone who can create his own shot and not just launch 3s.

cash459
01-28-2008, 11:33 AM
newbie here, and glad to be a part of this board...

well, i had to join a post, so i could get some stuff off my chest about trades that the spurs should do.... my only request, is that trade Oberto. I know that they just recently signed him to an extension, but if they decide that they wanna keep him, then by all means get him a "pair" he plays every game like he's confused :wtf or scared. stop looking like a :donkey :bang i cant count the number of times he has blown opportunities down the stretch or couldnt defend or get a damn rebound.

AAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

thanks for letting me vent. :clap ....reply as necessary

AFBlue
01-28-2008, 11:47 AM

Atlanta:
Anthony Johnson ($2.8M) or Tyronn Lue ($3.5M)

Charlotte:
Othella Harrington ($2.4M)

Chicago:
Chris Duhon ($3.3M) or Joe Smith ($5.2M)

Denver:
JR Smith ($1.65M)

Golden State:
Mickael Pietrus ($3.5M)

Indiana:
Jeff Foster ($5.7M)

LA Clippers:
Sam Cassell ($6.1M)

Memphis:
Hakim Warrick ($1.4M)

Miami:
Alonzo Mourning ($2.8M)

Milwaukee:
Charlie Villanueva ($2.7M) or Dan Gadzuric ($5.7M)

Minnesota:
Gerald Green ($1.4M) or Micheal Doleac ($3.1M)

New Jersey:
Antoine Wright ($1.7M) or Bostjan Nachbar ($2.5M

New Orleans:
Rasual Butler ($3.3M)

New York:
Fred Jones ($3.3M)

Philadelphia:
Willie Green ($3.M) or Rodney Carney ($1.6M)

Portland:
Channing Frye ($2.4M) or Joel Przybilla ($5.7M)

Sacramento:
John Salmons ($4.8M)

Seattle:
Damien Wilkins ($2.9M) or Nick Collison ($5.75M)

Toronto:
Joey Graham ($1.6M)

I'm sure there's a few that I missed....but that should be a reasonable list to work from.

Ghost Writer
01-28-2008, 12:00 PM
Excellent work, Tony.

Denver:
JR Smith ($1.65M)

Golden State:
Mickael Pietrus ($3.5M)

Indiana:
Jeff Foster ($5.7M)

LA Clippers:
Sam Cassell ($6.1M)

Memphis:
Hakim Warrick ($1.4M)

Milwaukee:

Minnesota:
Gerald Green ($1.4M)

New Jersey:
Antoine Wright ($1.7M)

New Orleans:
Rasual Butler ($3.3M)

Philadelphia:
Willie Green ($3.M)

Portland:

Sacramento:
John Salmons ($4.8M)

Seattle:
Damien Wilkins ($2.9M)

Some of them are too good for their teams to give up, like Salmons and Green.

Warrick and Smith have big upside.

Wright is intriguing as he has worked really hard on his game.

The two Portland centers are starting quality, but will be behind Odem and Aldridge next year.

Butler plays D and hits 3s... Spurs material.

Foster is a workhorse on the boards.

Great suggestions here.

I want Cassell.

mountainballer
01-28-2008, 12:10 PM
I'm sure there's a few that I missed....but that should be a reasonable list to work from.

very reasonable.
I add matt Barnes (3.0M) and Costa Perovic (1.8M). reports say that Warriors and Webber are close to an agreement. can't see Webber come in for 10 MPG, so his minutes will come from Barnes. Warriors have to open a roster spot and might prefer to do this via a 2 for 1 trade rather than just waive a player.

Udonis Haslem (6.0), Mark Blount (6.7), Smush Parker (2.2). Riley talked about getting far enough under the cap to be able to go for a premium FA this summer. the only way to do this, is trading some of the above listed players for expiring contracts. (assuming that noone takes Shaq's 20 million contract)

Darius Songaila (3.9)
Jared Jeffries (5.6)
Walter Herrmann (1.9)
Primoz Brezec (2.7)
Ronald Murray (1.9)
Viktor Khryapa (1.9)
Shannon Brown (1.0)
Jamaal Magloire (4.0)
Marko Jaric (6.0)

AFBlue
01-28-2008, 12:14 PM
Notice I also posted some pretty useless players (Harrington) in case the Spurs just want to have more financial flexibility if they choose to make more than one move and stay under the lux tax threshold.

Example:

Spurs trade Elson to Charlotte for Harrington

Spurs waive Richardson

Spurs trade $1.7M exception and future first round pick to Denver for JR Smith.

NOTE: A cap expert would have to tell me if this scenario indeed put the Spurs over the lux tax threshold...b/c I don't know just looking at those numbers.

mountainballer
01-28-2008, 12:24 PM
my guess is, that if the Spurs really wanted JR Smith, they could get him for Elson straight (plus a filler like Wafer to make the numbers work). Denver needs frontcourt help with Nene out and they know Elson (for whatever this is worth. maybe also the deal breaker)

AFBlue
01-28-2008, 12:29 PM
my guess is, that if the Spurs really wanted JR Smith, they could get him for Elson straight (plus a filler like Wafer to make the numbers work). Denver needs frontcourt help with Nene out and they know Elson (for whatever this is worth. maybe also the deal breaker)

Good points....worked on Realgm tradechecker.

But then the Spurs would be down a big man.

mountainballer
01-28-2008, 12:38 PM
Good points....worked on Realgm tradechecker.

But then the Spurs would be down a big man.

they have Ian with them on the trip. not that he would be a great help, but currently I think that any big can provide what Elson does (or does not)

loveforthegame
01-28-2008, 12:43 PM
I'm sure the Spurs are looking at all possiblities. Whether something gets done is another matter.

I don't know if we can continue on with Elson and Bonner glued to the bench. Not with Horry and Oberto having ups and downs. Not to mention Barry sidelined for a month.

Ghost Writer
01-28-2008, 01:18 PM
Udonis Haslem (6.0), Mark Blount (6.7), Smush Parker (2.2). Riley talked about getting far enough under the cap to be able to go for a premium FA this summer. the only way to do this, is trading some of the above listed players for expiring contracts. (assuming that noone takes Shaq's 20 million contract)
Haslem is perfect for the Spurs, but Riles won't let him go. He's the heart of that team.

Blount blows. He plays too far from the basket.

Parker is an okay backup.

The guy I really am intrigued by is Jason Williams. He's a free agent at the end of the year. He's starting there, but Riley likes his backup Chris Quinn. J-Will is not the crazy balla he used to be. The Heat won a title with him starting. He might be good to borrow for the home stretch and then he can walk.

tav1
01-28-2008, 02:50 PM
Atlanta:
Anthony Johnson ($2.8M) or Tyronn Lue ($3.5M)

Charlotte:
Othella Harrington ($2.4M)

Chicago:
Chris Duhon ($3.3M) or Joe Smith ($5.2M)

Denver:
JR Smith ($1.65M)

Golden State:
Mickael Pietrus ($3.5M)

Indiana:
Jeff Foster ($5.7M)

LA Clippers:
Sam Cassell ($6.1M)

Memphis:
Hakim Warrick ($1.4M)

Miami:
Alonzo Mourning ($2.8M)

Milwaukee:

Minnesota:
Gerald Green ($1.4M) or Micheal Doleac ($3.1M)

New Jersey:
Antoine Wright ($1.7M) or Bostjan Nachbar ($2.5M

New Orleans:
Rasual Butler ($3.3M)

New York:
Fred Jones ($3.3M)

Philadelphia:
Willie Green ($3.M) or Rodney Carney ($1.6M)

Portland:

Sacramento:
John Salmons ($4.8M)

Seattle:
Damien Wilkins ($2.9M) or Nick Collison ($5.75M)

Toronto:
Joey Graham ($1.6M)

Very good list. I'd add these, too:

Detroit: Hermann, Flip Murray

Portland:Webster and Jack

Miami: Dorrell Wright

New York: Balkman and Chandler

AFBlue
01-28-2008, 02:58 PM

Not sure about Webster. I think he's played his way INTO their future plans with his strong season.

Every other one I could see under some circumstance.

AFBlue
01-28-2008, 02:59 PM

I think Webster has played his way INTO the future plans of the Blazers, but I can see a situation with anyone of those others.

tav1
01-28-2008, 03:02 PM
I like Villanueva, but I don't know if he solves our need for a perimeter threat, i.e. someone who can create his own shot and not just launch 3s.

Yes, this is true. I'm near the point of thinking that we're not going to solve the wing problem this season. Our best bet is to roll with the swings we've got, especially as Udoka improves and Barry returns.

I think Pop is near conceding as much given the foray into small ball. My hope is for the Spurs to trade for a scoring 4 or point with an expiring or short term deal, and then deal with the bigger issues in the offseason.

Here's the other thing: I don't think the Spurs have the time or minutes to work in a swing at this point of the season--but the current rotation could accomadate a new big man or point.

Villanueva gives us a 4 who can spot up the perimeter, much like Bonner, but with the athleticism to put the ball on the floor and score against slower defenders. He also has a decent post game and is a good rebounder. In other words, he allows the Spurs to play small with Duncan at the 5--but at 6'11 Villanueva can play small without actually being small. Udoka at the 4 in a small ball set is a recipe for trouble.

Villanueva also helps quite a bit in terms of providing a little more scoring. There are many night when he can give 15 or 20 points.

tav1
01-28-2008, 03:13 PM
Not sure about Webster. I think he's played his way INTO their future plans with his strong season.

Every other one I could see under some circumstance.

Maybe. Webster's a starter there, but often plays fewer minutes than Outlaw and about as many minutes as Jones. The Trailblazers are playing Jack at the 2, behind Roy, but Jack's minutes are way done. Steve Blake and Spanish Chocolate are receiving most of the minutes at point, with McMillian favorite Taureen Green in the wings. Add the incoming Rudy Fernandez to this and things are crowded.

My guess is that McMillian and Pritchard will try to resign Jones in the offseason and move forward with a rotation of Blake/Sergio; Roy/Fernandez; Outlaw/Jones; Aldridge/vet big; Oden/Pryzzy. That leaves Webster, Jack and Frye on the outside looking in. Plus, if they move forward like this, they'll have cap space for a big 2009 free agent season as well as money to pay Oden, Aldridge and Roy their market price when rookie deals expire. They can do this *if* they're paying rookie scales to players like Fernandez and Freeland.

In short, I see Jack, Webster and Frye being moved for a combination of expiring deals and draft picks over the next year, starting as early as this month.

hsxvvd
01-28-2008, 03:56 PM
I see Jason Kidd's name is being thrown around yet again, Maybe bringing Kidd in for Parker would sure up the back-to-back, I know he doesn't have too long left, but this way we get something for Parker before he bolts to LA or starts demanding a trade, just like Pop said he's got a lot of other things on his mind. We might even be able to snare a draft pick or someone like Wright or Williams from the Nets also.

tav1
01-28-2008, 04:15 PM
I see Jason Kidd's name is being thrown around yet again, Maybe bringing Kidd in for Parker would sure up the back-to-back, I know he doesn't have too long left, but this way we get something for Parker before he bolts to LA or starts demanding a trade, just like Pop said he's got a lot of other things on his mind. We might even be able to snare a draft pick or someone like Wright or Williams from the Nets also.

Are you serious?!? Kidd makes twice as much as Parker and is, using my fingers and toes, about 30 years older. We'd have to give up Parker and Barry just to make the money work...

Come on.

Ghost Writer
01-28-2008, 04:43 PM
The Nets are f'ed.

They need to get rid of Kidd and Carter.

Scrap the whole thing.

We don't need and can't afford either.

Whisky Dog
01-28-2008, 04:48 PM
The Spurs are weak in the frontcourt with only one true inside front court player worth a shit (Oberto) playing next to Duncan. The main problem right now is that Oberto isn't playing worth a shit, and that along with Parker's problems are the main difference between the Spurs of late 2007 and now. If Parker gets right and Oberto shows up again come playoff time then this team has a whole different look. I'd put the odds at 71% that happens given Oberto's same horrible play during the last regular season only to step it up several notches in April.

Ghost Writer
01-28-2008, 04:55 PM
Older teams that have won before sometimes get complacent.

A marginal trade can shake them up, especially if we bring in a journeyman who wants a ring or a veteran that wants to get back there.

It's not just about what the new players could do for the rotation.

Ghost Writer
01-30-2008, 08:46 AM
How many more you guys wanna lose before you agree that the roster is too complacent, too old and too hobbled?

Question.