PDA

View Full Version : Damon Stoudamire to Phoenix or Boston???

yourcheatinheart
01-21-2008, 06:07 PM
from CBSsports

Grizzlies coach Marc Iavaroni had little to say about a published report that the Grizzlies were attempting to buy out the contract of veteran guard Damon Stoudamire. The report said team officials were close to an agreement with the 12-year pro, which would then allow him to sign with either the Boston Celtics or Phoenix Suns. "I have not heard that report," Iavaroni said. "That's the first I've heard of it. That would be my comment. That's news to me."
(Updated 01/19/2008).

i hope this goes through, even though he has a chance of being petrified on the Phoenix bench. i like this option way better than marcus banks as Nash's back up.

now seeing his carrer numbers there is no doubt he would flourish in the Suns system. they (Suns) should do everything they can to get him.

The 13-year NBA veteran has averaged 13.8 points, 6.3 assists, and a .358 3-point shooting percentage in 33.9 minutes per game during his career, which includes 46 playoff games.

yourcheatinheart
01-21-2008, 06:18 PM
looks like Boston which is cool because D'Antoni has been giving DJ Strawberry more minutes. i'd love to see him get more minutes on a consistent basis. the kid is a beast!

Sunday's Memphis Commercial-Appeal reported that guard Damon Stoudamire "is hopeful that he can sign as a free agent with Boston." That does not sound so good for anyone hoping the Suns would be able to land him after he is bought out.

It's not surprising, though. Stoudamire surely wants to play and there are likely more minutes to be had as Rajon Rondo's backup in Boston than as Steve Nash's backup in Phoenix. Stoudamire is too small to play alongside Nash so that would leave him with the 10 to 14 minutes that Nash rests.

The championship opportunity is arguably better with Boston too because of the Celtics' success and the easier path in the East. Steve Kerr does have a relationship with Stoudamire as a former Portland teammates and Mike D'Antoni was on Portland's bench for a year with Stoudamire. The chances that Mighty Mouse saves the day in Phoenix still don't look as strong as the chances of it happening for Boston, the cool place to be.

There still may be time. The Commercial-Appeal reported that Memphis was asking for Stoudamire to give back about 80 percent of his $4.6 million 2008-09 salary. That's roughly sacrificing $3.68 million so there likely is still some negotiating to be done.

ADDENDUM: Alando Tucker was recalled from Albuquerque today and Grant Hill is expected to start at Milwaukee on Tuesday.

Tippecanoe
01-21-2008, 06:38 PM
he can shoot, pass, and be a floor leader, but doesnt play any D. i like gary payton better

m33p0
01-22-2008, 01:10 AM
are the rockettes making any moves to acquire him?

JamStone
01-22-2008, 01:56 AM
I don't see how he is any better than Earl Boykins at this point and Boykins couldn't find another NBA job.

Bruno
01-22-2008, 06:06 AM
I don't see how he is any better than Earl Boykins at this point and Boykins couldn't find another NBA job.

From what I've read, Boykins isn't ready to sign for the min with a team and that's why he is still a free agent.

LakeShow
01-25-2008, 02:41 PM
Stoudamire still waiting for news of his future
Griz guard tries to stay focused as buyout, trade rumors swirl
By Ronald Tillery (Contact)
Friday, January 25, 2008

Tick. Tick. Tick.

That's the sound in Damon Stoudamire's head.

The clock is certainly ticking on his time with the Memphis Grizzlies.

But Stoudamire would rather his phone ring with news of a contract buyout, especially since it has been about three weeks since he last played. The 13-year veteran point guard remained hopeful Thursday, even as he prepared to take an unexpected trip to the nation's capitol, where the Grizzlies take on the Washington Wizards tonight.

It's safe to say that everyone watching this situation, including Stoudamire, figured a resolution would have come by now.

"I'm not going to say it's not hard," Stoudamire said after he practiced with the Griz. "Everybody is trying to do their best in this situation. It's not an easy situation for anybody -- me, the coaches or the owner. But I'm coming to work, and I always stay ready in case something happens. Working is how I keep my mind off it. I try to stay positive about things. I know something will happen -- hopefully sooner than later."

Negotiations have been affable yet tenuous. Some days it appears he could be set free at any hour. Then there have been days like Thursday, when the sides were described as far apart by a team insider.

"It's disappointing because a few weeks back we thought they wanted to talk about a fair deal," said Stoudamire's agent, Aaron Goodwin. "We're still at the point we were a few weeks ago. At this point, if they're not going to negotiate a fair deal, they may as well trade Damon."

Asked why he's discouraged, Goodwin said the talks have taken too many twists and turns.

"I don't feel they're negotiating," Goodwin said. "Damon has moved from his stance a few times. I started a conversation with (general manager) Chris Wallace. Now, I'm talking to a Stan Meadows. There's no negotiating."

Meadows is the Grizzlies' lead attorney. Contacted Thursday, Meadows would not comment.

The Grizzlies' most recent proposal -- rejected by Stoudamire -- was a buyout offer that would've required him to give back nearly 80 percent of his expected salary for next season.

Neither side will offer specifics. But this much is clear: Both agree a buyout is the best way to go so Stoudamire can join a championship-caliber team.

Boston is Stoudamire's preferred destination. Phoenix is an option. Toronto, which tried unsuccessfully to trade for Stoudamire, could be a possibility should Stoudamire decide to end his career where it began.

To his credit, Stoudamire has left the number-crunching to Goodwin and Griz brass. His contract is slotted at $4.6 million for next season, but that gets cut in half if he averages less than 20 minutes and appears in fewer than about 55 games this year.

Ultimately, Stoudamire must put a price on his freedom while Griz owner Michael Heisley mulls how much he's willing to pay to keep his word. Heisley has said he appreciates the guard's style and wants him to play for a winner.

Meanwhile, Stoudamire continues to sit on the bench next to the coaching staff during games. At practice, he's tutoring the youngsters who hope to someday establish a name at point guard like he has.

"This isn't a situation where you have a guy coming in here every day being a distraction or taking away from what we're trying to do as a squad," Stoudamire said. "I'm working hard every day, and trying to do what I can to keep the players' heads right. Forget about me for a second. It's frustrating right now with us trying to find consistency. We're still trying to find out who we are as a team. So I'm trying to help out as much as I can. I know the opportunity for me to play is minimal but you have to keep practicing and working."

Stoudamire started 29 games. His last game was Dec. 30 at San Antonio. Then, coach Marc Iavaroni put rookie Mike Conley into the lineup Jan. 2 at Indiana. Conley has started 12 games since, and he has played the most minutes at the position.

"This is the first time in my whole life I've had to go through something like this. Hopefully it's the last time," Stoudamire said. "A part of me is angry and upset but that's not going to do any good in this situation. This situation is not about me. ... I understand that. You have to come to grip with things. That doesn't mean I can't play. That just means that with a Mike Conley and a Kyle Lowry, we need to see them grow as players. There's no better way to see them grow as players than on the floor.

"Right now, I have to continue to help these guys out and help them develop as players. I'm trying to encourage and do what it takes to stay positive about the situation."

AFBlue
01-26-2008, 04:50 PM
Sources: Stoudamire, Grizzlies agree on buyout terms

Damon Stoudamire and the Memphis Grizzlies on Saturday reached a verbal agreement on a contract buyout that likely will make him a free agent next week, according to NBA front-office sources.

The buyout is scheduled to be made official Monday, sources said. After the Grizzlies formally release him, Stoudamire would then have to clear a 48-hour waiver period before choosing his new team. But the 33-year-old is expected to go unclaimed.

Elite teams such as the Boston Celtics and Phoenix Suns have already registered strong interest in Stoudamire, with the Celtics ranking as the favorite to land him, according to sources. But ESPN.com reported earlier this week that Stoudamire is also intrigued by the idea of signing with the Toronto Raptors and returning to the franchise that drafted him and gave him the platform to win NBA Rookie of the Year honors in 1995-96.

The Celtics, with no depth at the position behind the inexperienced Rajon Rondo, have been widely expected to add a veteran point guard at the first opportunity. The Suns are equally hopeful of landing the former University of Arizona star to ease the regular-season burden on two-time MVP Steve Nash, but realistically don't have as much playing time to offer as the Celtics do.

The Denver Nuggets are another team expected to make a strong pitch to sign Stoudamire after losing Chucky Atkins to a long-term injury.

The Raptors, meanwhile, have to reinforce what they had considered their strongest position because of the continued absence of T.J. Ford.

A hard hit from Atlanta's Al Horford on Dec. 11 knocked Ford to the floor, sidelining him indefinitely and adding to Ford's history of hard falls and lengthy absences related to spinal problems. Ford is in Houston working with longtime NBA coach and player John Lucas, who also assisted in Ford's recovery from the spinal-cord injury in Milwaukee that cost him the entire 2004-05 season, but no timetable for a return has been established. So with only half of its potent tag team at the point available -- Jose Calderon -- Toronto has been investigating its options.

After beginning the season as the Grizzlies' starter at the point, Stoudamire hasn't played since Dec. 30 and the emergence of rookie Mike Conley. He's earning $4.35 million this season and was due to make $4.65 million in 2008-09, with only half of next season's salary guaranteed.

Although terms of the buyout weren't immediately available, it's believed that Memphis was asking Stoudemire to surrender a significant portion of next season's guaranteed $2.3 million to secure his release.

Memphis initially resisted Stoudamire's push for a buyout, hoping instead that it would get a good trade offer from one of the interested suitors before the Feb. 21 trading deadline. But the Grizzlies relented when they found their trade possibilities underwhelming.

Guess this thing just got closer to happening for one of the top-tier teams...

ploto
01-26-2008, 05:11 PM
http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/1612554/2/istockphoto_1612554_clock_in_motion_hypnotism.jpg
Come to the Raptors... Come to the Raptors...

duncan228
01-27-2008, 12:41 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/basketball/nba/01/26/bc.bkn.grizzlies.stoudamire.ap/index.html

Grizzlies set to release Stoudamire

MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) -- The Memphis Grizzlies and point guard Damon Stoudamire have reached a tentative agreement to put him on waivers Monday, and if the veteran is not claimed within 48 hours he will be given his release.

A team spokesman confirmed the planned timetable for Stoudamire's release Saturday night.

Stoudamire was on the inactive list for the Grizzlies' game against the Los Angeles Clippers, and was not available for comment.

Stoudamire was signed by the Grizzlies as a free agent in 2005. He has started all 29 games he played this season and is averaging 7.3 points and 3.9 assists, but has not played since scoring four points against San Antonio on Dec. 30.

Asked Saturday night about Stoudamire's status with the team, coach Marc Iavaroni said, "I have nothing new to report."

Stoudamire and the Grizzlies have been negotiating a buyout of his contract. Stoudamire is owed $4.6 million for next season -- a figure that would be cut in half if he plays in fewer than 55 games or averages less than 20 minutes per game this season.

He was the Grizzlies' starting point guard earlier in the season but has been relegated to the bench in favor of younger players Mike Conley Jr., the fourth overall pick in last year's draft, and Kyle Lowry, a second-year player from Villanova.

Even though Conley also was inactive Saturday because of a right chest contusion, Stoudamire was not dressed out, an indication that his departure is imminent.

Before Friday night's game in Washington, Stoudamire said he was awaiting a buyout.

"I want it done as soon as possible," he said. "But you've got to be patient. You've got to wait."

Armando
01-27-2008, 03:54 PM
Boston is better getting Cassell. Cassell can still play and plus he played with KG.

ploto
01-28-2008, 11:27 AM
The Celtics appear to be taking their time on Damon Stoudamire. At their current rate, the Celts may run out of time.

Having been bought out by the Memphis Grizzlies, the veteran point guard will clear waivers on Wednesday, which is a formality, as he has no contract to pick up.

According to league sources, the Celts are checking out other possibilities and it’s believed they may have interest in another player, thought to be Sam Cassell of the Los Angeles Clippers. That matter would require time to work out, but the C’s will have to move quickly on Stoudamire if they want him.

Aaron Goodwin, Stoudamire’s representative, plans to have his client make a quick transition to his new club. Goodwin acknowledged his client has interest in the Celtics, as well as San Antonio, Phoenix, Toronto and Denver, but time is of the essence.

“We want to have him to be able to join his new team and be ready to go the following day,” Goodwin said. “This isn’t about money or anything. Damon knows he’s going to be getting the veteran minimum. He just wants a chance to play and an opportunity to go for a championship. That’s all that’s important to him at this point. The clubs we’re talking about all afford him that opportunity, so we’re confident he’ll be in a good situation by Thursday.”

Celtics director of basketball operations Danny Ainge had no comment, other than to say he likes his roster. But others insist the Celts are looking at the marketplace and would like some help or insurance at the point.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/basketball/celtics/view.bg?articleid=1069466&srvc=rss

JMarkJohns
01-28-2008, 01:15 PM
Stoudamire would be wise to stay in the East. If not Boston, then Detroit. See if there's any interest from those two teams then come out West. There's just no sure thing out West this year. Any of the top four could lose in the second round.

ancestron
01-28-2008, 02:53 PM
I hope he doesn't go to Phoenix. That'd just be too many Stoude(a)mire's on one team.

remingtonbo2001
01-29-2008, 08:30 PM
San Antonio

ludda
01-29-2008, 08:51 PM
Everyone and their grandfather who used to play college ball wants to play for the Celtics..I'm surprised that's not his top choice.

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-29-2008, 09:08 PM
or San Antonio???

It can't happen until early Wednesday evening, when Damon Stoudamire clears waivers, but it now appears likely the Spurs will sign the 5-foot-10 point guard who on Monday finalized terms of a buyout of his contract with the Memphis Grizzlies.

Stoudamire had expressed interest in signing with both the Spurs and the Boston Celtics, but seems to have settled on San Antonio as his destination of choice.

http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/archives/2008/01/mike_monroe_sto.html