PDA

View Full Version : Could be a rough one tomorrow...

BradLohaus
01-21-2008, 08:57 PM
but don't let it ruin your life.

*expletives*
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCtQL5b_rCM

inconvertible
01-21-2008, 09:54 PM
:lol

I switched my 401 acct into a safer fund, I don't have instant trading though and it might take a while I just hope I don't lose too much tomorrow. :drunk

Nbadan
01-21-2008, 11:37 PM
Yep, don't think the FEDS won't hesitate to suspend trading for a few hours if things get to volatile....this could be a protracted slide....

BonnerDynasty
01-21-2008, 11:43 PM
If I am still 40 years away from being 60 and not a day trader, should I be worried?

I mean, there has got to be recessions right? 10 or so in the last 60 years, usually last less than 1 full year, market always comes back to hit new highs, etc etc?

Nbadan
01-21-2008, 11:51 PM
...you shouldn't be worried if your in for the long haul, but tomorrow and well, the rest of 2008 could be painful....

ChumpDumper
01-22-2008, 12:09 AM
If I am still 40 years away from being 60 and not a day trader, should I be worried?

I mean, there has got to be recessions right? 10 or so in the last 60 years, usually last less than 1 full year, market always comes back to hit new highs, etc etc?The only thing you should be worried about is when to buy in.

Nbadan
01-22-2008, 12:20 AM
The conditions under which the NYSE will suspend or shut down trading

Numbers are valid for first quarter 2008

In the event of a 1350-POINT decline in the DJIA (10 percent):
Before 2 p.m. 1-HOUR HALT
2-2:30 p.m. 30-MIN. HALT
After 2:30 p.m. NO HALT

In the event of a 2700-POINT decline in the DJIA (20 percent):
Before 1 p.m. 2-HOUR HALT
1-2 p.m. 1-HOUR HALT
After 2 p.m. MARKET CLOSES

In the event of a 4000-POINT decline in the DJIA (30 percent), regardless of the time, MARKET CLOSES for the day.

NY Times (http://www.nyse.com/press/circuit_breakers.html)

boutons_
01-22-2008, 01:25 AM
In Asia, Global Market Decline Accelerates

By MARK LANDLER and HEATHER TIMMONS

Amid fears that the United States may be in a recession, the decline in stock markets accelerated Tuesday morning as exchanges opened across Asia.

Markets in Tokyo, Hong Kong and Sydney all fell farther in the opening hours of trading Tuesday than they had all day on Monday. The Hong Kong market plunged another 8 percent by early afternoon after tumbling 5.49 percent on Monday. In Tokyo, the Nikkei dropped 5 percent, hitting a low not seen since September 2005 and facing its worst two-day drop in 17 years on concern global growth is faltering.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/22/business/worldbusiness/23markets-web.html?_r=1&ei=5088&en=43bfa892e0b9c77d&ex=1358744400&oref=slogin&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss&pagewanted=print

SouthernFried
01-22-2008, 01:39 AM
Everyone should read the JESSE LIVERMORE story. Called "reminicenses of a stock operator."

Jesse made Millions of the stock market crashes of 1917 and 1929. Reportedly 100 million in 1929 alone.

If your a day trader like I am, you look at short term markets...and what's happening now affects me a great deal. But, I can make money when it's going up, or down. Volatility, to me, is the greatest thing in the world. I don't make money in stagnant markets, I make it when they're moving.

But, if your in for the long term, the consensus is not too worry too much. There are always ups and downs...and the whole world is going through this now. If you know what your doing, it could be beneficial to redirect some of those funds to areas that are more capable of handling short term swings like we're seeing. Watch CNBC a little, they are talking about this 24/7, and you might get some good advice from some of the people on there. And there are some VERY good people doing analysis on that channel. "Kudlow and Company" is a good mainstream roundtable analysis show. You don't have to have a business degree to understand them. Bloomberg is where I go to check on business news...but, they tend to be more technically orientated.

Like I said...If your in long term positions, the consensus is to keep your money in the market and ride out this short term down swing (short term could mean 2-3 yrs.) You can only realize a loss, if you sell at a loss. If you sell at a loss, I probably will be buying.

Of course, there are those who say, if you've made a profit already, lock that profit in and sell. It might be less profit than you had before the downturn...but, it's still a profit.

Welcome to trading :)

SF

Extra Stout
01-22-2008, 09:17 AM
When the market goes down, I get more shares for my money.

JoeChalupa
01-22-2008, 09:28 AM
Yeah, I've got my 401K in a safe fund where it will stay for awhile.

101A
01-22-2008, 09:32 AM
The only thing you should be worried about is when to buy in.In this market?

Long Term?

Buy, buy, buy. Dollar cost averaging is gonna pay BIG in 40 years.

Doesn't matter where the lowest point is this year, all these prices are going to be relatively low, and a bargain, compared to where they will be in 2 -3, much less 40, years.

Extra Stout
01-22-2008, 09:32 AM
buy low sell high

it's all seems so simple to me now
i don't think they trade weed on the stock exchange

well actually they probably do but it's off the board

Ocotillo
01-22-2008, 10:17 AM
Fed is cutting rates 3/4 of a percent in reaction to the nose dive.

boutons_
01-22-2008, 10:22 AM
I have no fear.

dubya and dickhead, hands firmly on the wheel, will continue to guide This Great Nation of Ours through perilous waters, and above all protect the top 1%, capitalists, corps that are being viciously martyred by the Free Marketer, son incarnate of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Ocotillo
01-22-2008, 10:29 AM
That trickle down has turned into a full blown Bush taking a whizz on your head.

xrayzebra
01-22-2008, 10:40 AM
Well, with all the media hype, the politicians and folks like dan,
you all have just about got us talked into a "depression". And
this is with the low unemployment rates, almost full employment,
low inflation and low interest rates. I am doing perfectly alright,
most of you are too. Most have steady employment, with no
sign of layoff. But, noooooooo, this cant be true, because
the pols, both sides of the aisle, media and stock market are
all shook up, just like Elvis. Give me a break.

This crap is the best thing that ever happened for the
dimm-o-craps. Now they really have something to harp on
for the coming election.

Extra Stout
01-22-2008, 12:52 PM
Well, with all the media hype, the politicians and folks like dan,
you all have just about got us talked into a "depression". And
this is with the low unemployment rates, almost full employment,
low inflation and low interest rates. I am doing perfectly alright,
most of you are too. Most have steady employment, with no
sign of layoff. But, noooooooo, this cant be true, because
the pols, both sides of the aisle, media and stock market are
all shook up, just like Elvis. Give me a break.

This crap is the best thing that ever happened for the
dimm-o-craps. Now they really have something to harp on
for the coming election.
Somehow I seriously doubt the investor class is in cahoots with the Democrats to push forth the meme of a recession.

This has the look more of a recession a la 1958, which does not end up with high unemployment. Or, at least it could have been that kind of recession. Slashing interest rates 3/4 of a point has the effect of staving off the inevitable market correction while letting inflation run free. That is the strategy the Carter Administration followed in the 1970's, thereby allowing inflation to spiral out of control. The result was the deep recession of 1981, when Americans got to enjoy double-digit inflation and double-digit unemployment at the same time.

How nice that the Bush/Bernanke combo instinctively reaches for the Carter playbook instead of the Reagan one.

boutons_
01-22-2008, 03:15 PM
"result was the deep recession of 1981"

... which was actually caused by the high price of oil (gasoline @ $3 in current $) after the Iranian revolution of 1979/80, just as the high inflation of the 70s was driven by the 1973 M/E war and run up in oil prices and oil embargo.

JoeChalupa
01-22-2008, 03:41 PM
It is the economy stupid!! Can't repugnants see that?

exstatic
01-22-2008, 09:40 PM
When the market goes down, I get more shares for my money.
It's surprising how many people just flat don't understand "buy low, sell high" and do just the opposite, isn't it? Everyone gets spooked when things are dicey, but they all want the "hot stock" when that is exactly what you shouldn't buy.

exstatic
01-22-2008, 09:42 PM
i don't think they trade weed on the stock exchange

well actually they probably do but it's off the board
I avoid commodities. Well, trading them, anyways. :smokin

Cant_Be_Faded
01-23-2008, 01:01 AM
.......................exactly :smokin