PDA

View Full Version : Quiet confidence

dav4463
01-21-2008, 11:44 PM
Listening to the post-game comments by Pop and Duncan, I see the Spurs as a team with "quiet confidence". This team still knows they have what it takes to win another NBA title and fans should not get so down on them when they go through a little down period. Spurs do that every year about this time and the fans start worrying.

duncan228
01-21-2008, 11:48 PM
"Quiet confidence" is a phrase that fits Duncan perfectly.

And I'm not worried.

Brutalis
01-22-2008, 12:12 AM
Duncan is overrated. Nawwwt.

mavs>spurs2
01-22-2008, 12:17 AM
Duncan is overrated.

QFT

peskypesky
01-22-2008, 12:20 AM
Duncan will be a monster in the playoffs this year. And he will get his 4th Finals MVP. He's playing great of late, even though the rest of the team has not been all that.

m33p0
01-22-2008, 12:25 AM
he's like a simmering volcano about to blow up these past few games. the losing was getting to him. i think pop loves what he sees from duncan. so does alot of his fans.

duncan228
01-22-2008, 12:27 AM
Duncan will be a monster in the playoffs this year. And he will get his 4th Finals MVP.

I agree.
He wants the repeat, he will lead his team there. I can't wait to see him with both trophies in his hands.

He's been a joy to watch lately. :)

peskypesky
01-22-2008, 12:36 AM
He's been a joy to watch lately. :)

He has. It brings joy to my soul to see Timmy still dominating on both ends of the court at his "advanced" age. He may not have the quickness & hops he had 10 years ago, but it looks like the experience just about makes up for that. I just wish he could learn how to shoot f-cking free throws!!! :bang

duncan228
01-22-2008, 12:39 AM
I just wish he could learn how to shoot f-cking free throws!!! :bang

But if he could hit his FT's he'd be perfect. :)
There's got to be one flaw, FT's are his.

peskypesky
01-22-2008, 12:42 AM
But if he could hit his FT's he'd be perfect. :)
There's got to be one flaw, FT's are his.

It's been 10 years! Why the freak can't he improve? :dizzy

duncan228
01-22-2008, 12:53 AM

It's in his head. You can see it when he's at the line. He takes forever to shoot, whatever is going through his mind is killing him. His form is different, he starts with the ball so low and he doesn't shoot them with any rhythm.

It is frustrating when you watch him hit a 17-18 foot turn-around jump shot but he can't hit a FT. I've heard him talk about it, how it's different in the flow of the game. That having to stop and gather himself at the line is hard.

I've given up thinking he'll improve his percentage to any great degree. I just hope he can hit them in crucial moments of games. And he usually can, especially in the Playoffs.

TDMVPDPOY
01-22-2008, 12:55 AM
spursfans like any other fan out there, dont have patience

m33p0
01-22-2008, 01:06 AM
It's in his head. You can see it when he's at the line. He takes forever to shoot, whatever is going through his mind is killing him. His form is different, he starts with the ball so low and he doesn't shoot them with any rhythm.

It is frustrating when you watch him hit a 17-18 foot turn-around jump shot but he can't hit a FT. I've heard him talk about it, how it's different in the flow of the game. That having to stop and gather himself at the line is hard.

I've given up thinking he'll improve his percentage to any great degree. I just hope he can hit them in crucial moments of games. And he usually can, especially in the Playoffs.
yeah. he thinks about his free throws too much.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-22-2008, 03:40 AM
Listening to the post-game comments by Pop and Duncan, I see the Spurs as a team with "quiet confidence". This team still knows they have what it takes to win another NBA title and fans should not get so down on them when they go through a little down period. Spurs do that every year about this time and the fans start worrying.

Totally.

As for Timmy, I thought his D was particularly good today. Maybe he plays better with smallball around him? In general, he has been very solid lately, and he and the team know where they need to be, especially on D. The 4th quarter D has been very good for much of the last 8 or so games, they just need to improve the first half and not put themselves in holes.

ancestron
01-22-2008, 09:25 AM
Timmy needs to stop turning the ball over so much.

SAGambler
01-22-2008, 09:49 AM
Timmy needs to stop turning the ball over so much.

When the ball comes to him, he needs to immediately do whatever it is he is going to do. Either go to the hoop or pass it out. Not sit there and dribble the ball till the double or triple comes and swipes it from his hands. Seems lately he has become a turnover machine.

Also don't like it when he gets the ball and turns to face the defender and holds the ball, pump fakes, hold the ball, pump fakes some more until the shot clock is down so far there is no choice but to throw it up. Sometimes it falls, more often it doesn't. If he hasn't decided what to do by the time the shot clock is down to 6 or 7 seconds, he needs to pass it off to someone else.

SenorSpur
01-22-2008, 09:56 AM
When the ball comes to him, he needs to immediately do whatever it is he is going to do. Either go to the hoop or pass it out. Not sit there and dribble the ball till the double or triple comes and swipes it from his hands. Seems lately he has become a turnover machine.

Also don't like it when he gets the ball and turns to face the defender and holds the ball, pump fakes, hold the ball, pump fakes some more until the shot clock is down so far there is no choice but to throw it up. Sometimes it falls, more often it doesn't. If he hasn't decided what to do by the time the shot clock is down to 6 or 7 seconds, he needs to pass it off to someone else.

:tu

FromWayDowntown
01-22-2008, 12:05 PM
QFT

Tim Duncan is overrated only if someone says that he's the greatest player ever or a top 5 player. Once you start talking about the 10-15 greatest players to ever play the game, Duncan has rightfully earned his place in the conversation. He doesn't have to dominate regular seasons to be considered one of, if not the, biggest difference-maker in the league right now.

And I think quiet confidence is right. I think the Spurs are probably a bit frustrated with some of these narrow losses, but they also understand -- perhaps uniquely -- the big picture and know that it's about building over a season and being at your best come playoff time. If the Spurs are healthy in mid-April, I think most rational basketball fans would like their chances.

duncan228
01-22-2008, 12:24 PM
Once you start talking about the 10-15 greatest players to ever play the game, Duncan has rightfully earned his place in the conversation. He doesn't have to dominate regular seasons to be considered one of, if not the, biggest difference-maker in the league right now.

:)

Duncan isn't at the top of scoring or rebounding lists so people just don't see what an impact he has on his own team and the opponent. He still commands double teams, he's brilliant in his decision making even if we want to second guess those decisions.
I know that opposing teams look at stopping Parker and Ginobili's penetration but I don't believe for a minute that Duncan isn't a big focus of their defensive plan. He's not what he was 10 years ago, (who is?), but he's still a force to be reckoned with. And come playoffs he will rise as he always does and be a monster to deal with.

ancestron
01-22-2008, 02:42 PM
Just the presence of Tim Duncan on the basketball court seems to affect the game positively, in a way no other player in the NBA does right now.

urunobili
01-22-2008, 04:22 PM
Duncan will be a monster in the playoffs this year. And he will get his 4th Finals MVP. He's playing great of late, even though the rest of the team has not been all that.sorry mate... this year's Finals MVP will be Manu's
:downspin:
and going back to Duncan.. i REALLY like he is taking more J's again... it reminds me so much of the 202, 03 campaign when it was very effective... the last three seasons he re-gained the Banker and now on this one the 18 footer J and turnaround is coming back to normal

101A
01-22-2008, 04:26 PM
Tim Duncan is overrated only if someone says that he's the greatest player ever or a top 5 player. Once you start talking about the 10-15 greatest players to ever play the game, Duncan has rightfully earned his place in the conversation. He doesn't have to dominate regular seasons to be considered one of, if not the, biggest difference-maker in the league right now.

And I think quiet confidence is right. I think the Spurs are probably a bit frustrated with some of these narrow losses, but they also understand -- perhaps uniquely -- the big picture and know that it's about building over a season and being at your best come playoff time. If the Spurs are healthy in mid-April, I think most rational basketball fans would like their chances.Both of them do.

Ice009
01-22-2008, 09:44 PM

I agree with most of this except the pass it off quickly bit. Tim can't draw a double team or triple team if he passes it off immediately. In order for his team mates to get wide open looks sometimes Tim has to hold the ball just a little bit longer to draw other defenders towards him, then pass it off.

Now as for when he thinks he has a mismatch, and he thinks he can score that's when he should NOT be holding the ball for so long. Sometimes he holds it a bit too long in this situation when he should be a lot more decisive and try to make his move more quickly before the double team comes.

Of course when no one is making shots we sometimes go to 4 down and Tim gets stuck in these tough situations when he has to try to score himself and that can lead to turnovers. In these situations it might be better like you're saying to pass the ball off more quickly and get everyone moving around to make something happen rather than force Tim to take a tough shot all the time.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-22-2008, 10:21 PM

:tu

One game lately, can't remember which (228, you got the answer?), he didn't hesitate at all, just went straight into his move every time he got the ball. He was SOOOOO much more effective. It makes it much harder to double team him without fouling, and his shot looks better if he doesn't pause.

For this reason, I think it is often a mistake for the post passer to cut to the rim - Tim rarely hands the ball off, but that cut delays his move by a couple of seconds and puts him in limbo. Then we get the driving into doubles and pump fake bank shots that invariably miss. Pass him the ball and move to the 3pt line at the top of the key, away from Tim, so he can go immediately into his move is what I'd do. And then for variety run the cutter occasionally - he might get to hand off more often if the defenders didn't know that the post passer always cuts to the basket!

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-22-2008, 10:24 PM
...rational basketball fans... Both of them do.

Says the guy who's so rational he thinks that TP's lack of explosion is down to the fictional cheating on Eva that he read about in the tabloids, not bone spurs on his heel... MORON. :nope

duncan228
01-22-2008, 10:27 PM
One game lately, can't remember which (228, you got the answer?), he didn't hesitate at all, just went straight into his move every time he got the ball.

Houston is the most recent.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-22-2008, 10:31 PM
Houston is the most recent.

Thanks. :)

I missed the Houston game, but there was another recent game where he attacked relentlessly without pausing... maybe Detroit or Phili? Anyway, point made, we all like it when he goes at it without pausing.

duncan228
01-22-2008, 10:41 PM
Thanks. :)

I missed the Houston game, but there was another recent game where he attacked relentlessly without pausing... maybe Detroit or Phili? Anyway, point made, we all like it when he goes at it without pausing.

Detroit. And Philly as well, he's had a few nice aggressive games lately. It's been wonderful to watch.
I always like to see him be aggressive and not hesitate but it's easier said than done. Those decisions have to be made in split seconds. It can't be easy, and he's amazing in usually making the right decision.

genomefreak13
01-23-2008, 12:26 AM

Tell that to shaq...