PDA

View Full Version : Game Thoughts: Spurs @ Bobcats Jan. 21

timvp
01-22-2008, 05:10 AM
Although a win over the Charlotte Bobcats usually isn’t a reason for celebration, the Spurs finally looked to be taking steps in the right directions. Small steps, mind you, but steps nonetheless.

The Bobcats, who have been playing well recently by utilizing a small ball lineup, are no longer your father’s expansion Hornets. They have a gaggle of young, talented players such as Emeka Okafor, Gerald Wallace, Jason Richardson and Raymond Felton. Charlotte is definitely talented enough to make the playoffs in the Eastern Conference this year.

In the first half, the Spurs’ offense was very effective and reminded me of earlier in the season when the team was playing with great chemistry. The 54 points the Spurs scored in the first half was their first half highest total in the month of January. In the second half of the game, the Spurs locked down defensively and held the Bobcats to 39 points. All told, it added up to a 95-86 victory for San Antonio.

-Tim Duncan had a decent offensive night. He finished with a team-high 19 points on 8-for-17 shooting from the field. However, it was defensively where Duncan truly made his mark. With five blocks and ten rebounds, Duncan’s help defense in the second half was especially dominating. If he can once again flip his personal switch and become the Spurs interior defensive stopper, the Spurs will quickly be able to right this ship.

-Manu Ginobili had a quietly spectacular game against Charlotte. In 28 minutes, Ginobili totaled 16 points, six assists, five rebounds, four steals, one block and only one turnover. That type of all-around dominating performance has been lacking lately from Ginobili. It was no surprise that he led the team in plus/minus with a +19. That was a welcome change from the previous ten games where Ginobili posted a cumulative plus/minus below zero. Overall, Ginobili energy, passion and skill carried the Spurs for stretches in this game.

-Tony Parker was decent but was still inconsistent. As has been the case recently, Parker’s play can at times be great and can at times be horrible. Against the Bobcats, Parker finished with 16 points, four rebounds and three assists in 32 minutes. The good news is he looked relatively healthy and lively, which hasn’t been the case over the last six weeks.

-Bruce Bowen only played 26 minutes as Pop opted to rotate six swingmen against the small ball Bobcats. During his time on the court, Bowen’s defense was solid and he chipped in three points, four rebounds and three assists. Bowen did a better job playing within the offense than he had been doing recently.

-Michael Finley also played 26 minutes and had a very nice outing. He scored 13 points, grabbed five rebounds and blocked two shots while playing impressive defense. In streaky Finley fashion, he knocked down his first five shots but then missed his final four shots to finish 5-for-9 from the field. Defensively is where Finley especially stood out, particularly against Wallace.

-Jeremy Richardson got a surprise start and came out firing. Richardson was anything but hesitant as he shot three of the Spurs' first four shots. While only connecting on the final attempt (a three-pointer), Richardson gave the Spurs good energy right out of the gates. His play seemed to spark the team a bit, especially offensively. Defensively, Richardson was surprisingly competent on his team defense responsibilities. Richardson is on his second 10-day contract and is fighting for a guaranteed contract. This performance wasn’t perfect but it should at least slightly help his cause.

-Brent Barry played 25 minutes, the most he has played since missing time with a calf injury. While he only hit 1-of-5 shots from the floor, his play was impressive. He passed the ball well, defended relatively well and gave the Spurs very good effort and energy. Barry is still rusty but it’s good to see him back in action.

-Ime Udoka had another very quality outing for the Spurs. In 23 minutes, Udoka had 11 points and five rebounds. He hit 4-of-7 shots from the field and his defense on both Wallace and Richardson was borderline spectacular. Udoka is looking more and more comfortable and he makes far less mistakes than he made earlier in the season. With this type of play, Udoka is making a case for a spot in the rotation. While he’s definitely a defense-first type player, he’s shooting 51.4% from the field and 46.6% from the three-point line over his last nine games.

-Jacque Vaughn had a solid Jacque Vaughn type game. In 16 minutes, he barely dented the stat sheet but played good defense and stayed out of the way offensively. When he plays as The Human Placeholder, he’s a good complement to Parker.

-Fabricio Oberto was back to a bench role due to Pop matching the Bobcats’ small ball lineup. Off the bench, Oberto had a very solid game. In 14 minutes, he had four points, four rebounds, two steals and a blocked shot. He also ran the two-man game well with Ginobili as the pair of Argentineans schooled the younger Bobcats. Look for Oberto to be back in the starting lineup against the Los Angeles Lakers on Wednesday.

-Matt Bonner and Francisco Elson only got spot minutes as Pop remained small for much of the contest. Neither player took a shot in their combined seven minutes of action. The only notable moment for either player was when Bonner missed a free throw – his first free throw miss of the season. Coming into the game Bonner was a perfect 24-for-24 from the charity stripe.

-I’m starting to be convinced Pop is just trying to amuse himself for now until he decides the team needs to buckle down and start winning. Otherwise, how can you explain Pop going with Richardson in the starting lineup with players such as Udoka and Barry capable of jumping into the small ball starting lineup? My guess is Pop knew he couldn't use his patented 12 man rotation against the smaller Bobcats, so he found another way to be entertained.

Sure, you want to take a look at the kid since he’s on a 10-day contract, but starting him during the midst of a two-game losing streak? Funny, Pop.

I thought the team played well for a good portion of the game. If they can take their offense from the first half and their defense from the second half, the Spurs might be able to actually string a few games together.

It’d be easy to dismiss this game as the Spurs beating a team they’re supposed to beat, however last year the turnaround for the Spurs began with a similar game on the road against the New Jersey Nets. We’ll see if the Spurs can use this inauspicious victory as some sort of springboard as they head into their final three games before the long awaited Rodeo Road Trip.

vanvannen
01-22-2008, 07:26 AM
Thanks Timvp, as always. I could only watch the game in streches, as I was working and as usual your analysis is spot-on.

bdictjames
01-22-2008, 08:18 AM
Great analysis as usual. Win is a win, no matter what.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
01-22-2008, 08:25 AM
I missed the game, but it is good to see Manu and Tim play solid games overall. We won't lose too many games if Ginobili's stat line looks like that.

Hopefully Tony returns to being Tony sometime soon and we can stay healthy the rest of the way.

The Truth #6
01-22-2008, 09:27 AM
Manu brought the ball up several times when Vaughn was on the court - that minimized Jacque's pounding of the rock and kept the offense moving well.

Was Richardson from Charlotte? Or was Pop drawing his own odd, personal inspiration from MLK day? Or is this an indication that Pop is about to cut him but wanted him to start an NBA game first, as an act of generosity?

Barry's absence wasn't the only reason the team tanked but now that he's back the team is making strides at getting back to form, so its fair to give him credit for contributing to the improved offense as of late. I know its his last season but I could see him contributing another season if he wanted to. However, only he or Finley should return, not both, and given Pop's crush for Finley, it makes me think this will be Barry's last year.

WalterBenitez
01-22-2008, 09:34 AM
I am concern about TP's consistency since he is the key to run our plays, I hope he get better when playoffs starts.

duncan228
01-22-2008, 10:00 AM
If he can once again flip his personal switch and become the Spurs interior defensive stopper, the Spurs will quickly be able to right this ship.

Duncan has already started to "flip his personal switch." He has been progressively better over the last few games. Turnovers are still a problem for him, but the spark is there. His offense will come from his defense and I can see the fire in his defense picking up.

I’m starting to be convinced Pop is just trying to amuse himself for now until he decides the team needs to buckle down and start winning.

:lol
Thanks for the smile.

MoSpur
01-22-2008, 10:14 AM
I'll take that win.

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-22-2008, 11:52 AM
:tu Nice.
It really makes me feel good to see Udoka out there contributing. I've been rooting for this guy for a long time and it looks as though it's paying off just great.

Solid D
01-22-2008, 12:09 PM
I agree that Pop is "amusing" himself or at least playing around with lineups at different stages of games to see what works and what doesn't work....Bonner at the end of games, included.

I'm somewhat convinced that Pop allowed Jeremy Richardson an opportunity to start a game (in a small lineup configuration) so that Jeremy could tell people, after he's out of the league and working as a sports agent, that he started for the NBA Champions. :smokin

T Park
01-22-2008, 12:55 PM
Ime Udoka is a huge key to how this team fares in the postseason.

if he plays in the POs like he did yesterday, the team will be close to unbeatable.

meta2007
01-22-2008, 12:59 PM
The spurs showed passion!

tlongII
01-22-2008, 01:02 PM
It's nice to see Ime finally getting some burn down there!

VaSpursFan
01-22-2008, 02:36 PM
Ime Udoka is a huge key to how this team fares in the postseason.

if he plays in the POs like he did yesterday, the team will be close to unbeatable.

agree...as ime's learning curve improves, pop seems to be willing to throw him in the mix to see how he reacts. he's forcing pop to play him by responding well. i just want to see him to continue to get consistent minutes to build his confidence. come playoffs when it's time for lockdown D and execution, he should be ready :hat

SenorSpur
01-22-2008, 02:45 PM
Udoka and Bowen together is an intriguing defensive tandem.

Southwest Texas Fan
01-22-2008, 03:21 PM
I agree. Bowen can handle the perimeter threats and Ime can handle both the perimeter players and the guards who tend to post up.

wildbill2u
01-22-2008, 05:27 PM
Ime Okeydokey!

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-22-2008, 06:01 PM
Reading Timvp's recaps is how I follow the Spurs until the real season starts. Nice! :tu

Instead of reaching for the morning paper I simply reach for a little Tim-v-p...........figuratively speaking of course.

Cant_Be_Faded
01-22-2008, 06:36 PM
I'd like more info on Jeremy Richardson. Is his release still sequesque? Does he provide the well needed Street Cred we got with Demarr Johnson? Can he be an impact player this season?

These are the things i'd like to know.

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-22-2008, 06:39 PM
I'd like more info on Jeremy Richardson. Is his release still sequesque?

I have a feeling he's here to stay.

Does he provide the well needed Street Cred we got with Demarr Johnson?

Don't much about him, but I doubt it.

Can he be an impact player this season?

No. He'll get his shot next season if he makes it, though.

DieMrBond
01-22-2008, 06:52 PM
I think Jacque Vaughn needs to do something either incredible or incredibly stupid to give you something else to say about him ;)

lefty
01-22-2008, 07:11 PM
:tu :tu :tu

Thanks a lot timvp.

I don't get to watch a lot of Spurs games here (until I get my free Dish Network), so your detailed analysis allows me to know who the team is doing.

:tu

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-22-2008, 08:21 PM
I was watching Richardson very closely and was impressed by his hustle and the fact that he seemed to know where to go on his defensive rotations. Interesting prospect. I put him well ahead of DeMarr Johnson at this point, because he actually has some lateral quickness unlike DeMarr who will probably always be a defensive liability at NBA level.

The things that stood out for me from this game were:

*Udoka finally looks comfortable out on the court - he is playing great one-on-one D, getting to good spots on the floor on offence, and nailing his shots. He needs to play half a game I think, maybe even at Bruce's expense if he continues to miss everything he puts up (Bruce hit a 3 though, which is a good sign - he's gone 6-25 from 3 in Jan, and it's the first three he has hit in six games).

*Timmy's help defence was fantastic! I think he recorded four blocks, but I counted more like six or seven. When he plays D like this, the Spurs are hard to beat. As for his offence, it's not what it used to be. I am concerned by how often he gets his shot blocked by using his right hand when he should use his left, and how often is trying to dribble through double teams and turns the ball over. However, I don't think he's hurting the offence at this point because the team doesn't run 4-down the entire time. The more pick'n'rolls where he dives to the basket and scores the easy deuce (he had two or three in this game), the happier I am.

*TP is settling for the jumper rather than going to the basket much of the time, which has to be related to his heel I think. That's fine if he is making half his jumpers, but it will kill us if he doesn't. Let's hope the bone spurs magically disappear.

* The team D was really strong, especially in the fourth quarter. The Bobcats were shooting 55% midway through the second quarter, and I think Pop might have said something about that at half-time... :lol

* SuperManu (the all-around player) was in the house.

* Okafor is a BEAST!

* Gerald Wallace is mentally fragile like his namesake Sheed - get in his grill to put him off his game.

* Why does every ex-spur go off against us? Nazr couldn't miss!

And that's it from me. :D