PDA

View Full Version : Brand

rascal
01-22-2008, 09:48 AM
Brand may be available for trade. The spurs should look into getting Brand. Brand won't be cheap to get so it may take trading Manu in a package for Brand. Then get a young player like JR Smith for starting sg spot.

MoSpur
01-22-2008, 09:51 AM
Trading Manu? No way!

SAGambler
01-22-2008, 10:00 AM
Brand makes 15 mil.

And you would trade our highest PER player for him?

TDMVPDPOY
01-22-2008, 10:09 AM
trade our bench

yavozerb
01-22-2008, 10:12 AM
Brand may be available for trade. The spurs should look into getting Brand. Brand won't be cheap to get so it may take trading Manu in a package for Brand. Then get a young player like JR Smith for starting sg spot.
If thses are the players you want, you may want to change your team to the nuggets or clippers and get used to losing...

m33p0
01-22-2008, 10:20 AM
NOOOOO!!!!

TDMVPDPOY
01-22-2008, 10:32 AM
stuff that, sign him next season when his a fa

AFBlue
01-22-2008, 10:36 AM
Brand isn't going to happen. The Spurs don't have the salary to trade for him this year, don't have the cap space to sign him next year, and will be looking towards 2010 to sign someone younger and as good or better than Brand.

CB4 in 2010!

nfg3
01-22-2008, 10:46 AM
No. Period. Though I like Brand and think he would do well here the cost is too high. Anyway my feelings about Smith are that he is an explosive offensive player at times but his BB IQ is very low. Case in point - he meltdown agianst us in the playoffs. Pathetic. That wont work with Pop.

Trade Manu? He brings way too much off the bench for this team. He is a difference maker that can't be replaced. I just don't see this as a good trade. As ststed before - get him in the off season when he is a FA.

Supreme_Being
01-22-2008, 11:40 AM
No fucking way.

Indazone
01-22-2008, 11:40 AM
blow the team up. Do a Celtics!

rascal
01-22-2008, 11:50 AM
Brand isn't going to happen. The Spurs don't have the salary to trade for him this year, don't have the cap space to sign him next year, and will be looking towards 2010 to sign someone younger and as good or better than Brand.

CB4 in 2010!

2010? This is exactly what I heard before ,about signing a great free agent at a future date and the spurs ended up with Rasho Nesterovic.

rascal
01-22-2008, 11:52 AM
No. Period. Though I like Brand and think he would do well here the cost is too high. Anyway my feelings about Smith are that he is an explosive offensive player at times but his BB IQ is very low. Case in point - he meltdown agianst us in the playoffs. Pathetic. That wont work with Pop.

Trade Manu? He brings way too much off the bench for this team. He is a difference maker that can't be replaced. I just don't see this as a good trade. As ststed before - get him in the off season when he is a FA.
Manu is not the difference maker, Duncan is.

ducks
01-22-2008, 11:52 AM
and a title you forgot

MoSpur
01-22-2008, 11:57 AM
I'll take Chris Kaman.

SenorSpur
01-22-2008, 11:57 AM
Nice idea, but no way. His contract prohibits this idea. He makes damn near as much as Tim. Nice try.

timmy21_4rings
01-22-2008, 12:07 PM
Your idea sounds good. To be honest, it is worth to trade Manu/Parker to get a quality big man like Brand. Another set of twin towers. Trading Manu makes more sense to SA as he is little old but other teams would want younger TP. One of the problems is that most of the bigs are injury prone and plus we do not know how good Tiago is going to be...If Tiago is really good, then we will have redundant resources and this trade might not look good 2 to 3 years from now.

Salary might not be a problem as some of the contracts will be off the books soon.. Even we can convince players to come to TX where there is no state tax and expect them to give little discount.

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-22-2008, 12:10 PM
Your idea sounds good. To be honest, it is worth to trade Manu/Parker to get a quality big man like Brand. Another set of twin towers. Trading Manu makes more sense to SA as he is little old but other teams would want younger TP. One of the problems is that most of the bigs are injury prone

And where do you suppose we get scoring from if we trade Manu or Parker?

and plus we do not know how good Tiago is going to be...If Tiago is really good, then we will have redundant resources and this trade might not look good 2 to 3 years from now.

He's going to be good enough to have a spot in the rotation immediately. And we also have Ian, btw.

rascal
01-22-2008, 12:12 PM
Thats IF Tiago is really good. There is no such thing as a redundancy at c/pf because you can always trade away quality big men.

BonnerDynasty
01-22-2008, 12:21 PM

He takes hold of the game and completely controls it down the stretch just as frequently as Duncan does.

I'd pass on Brand unless he wants a ring and not money.

SAGambler
01-22-2008, 12:31 PM
Your idea sounds good. To be honest, it is worth to trade Manu/Parker to get a quality big man like Brand. Another set of twin towers. Trading Manu makes more sense to SA as he is little old but other teams would want younger TP. One of the problems is that most of the bigs are injury prone and plus we do not know how good Tiago is going to be...If Tiago is really good, then we will have redundant resources and this trade might not look good 2 to 3 years from now.

Salary might not be a problem as some of the contracts will be off the books soon.. Even we can convince players to come to TX where there is no state tax and expect them to give little discount.

Where do the points come from if you give up TP and MG? I don't think Brand can average 40 points a night.

If we want another big bruiser, I suggest maybe go after Curry. At 285 (listed weight?) he could bang with the Yaos and Shaqs in the league at just a tad more than half the cost of Brand. Maybe he wouldn't have a huge night every night scoring, but at least you get to keep Tony and Manu. Or maybe Tyson Chandler. A little taller but gives up 50 lbs to Curry and would cost about a mil and half more.

I too would like another bruiser to put in with Tim, but no way do I want to see either Tony or Manu go to do it.

rascal
01-22-2008, 12:36 PM
Elson, Manu and Barry for Brand worked on realgm trade tracker so it is possible but not probable. Sterling is willing to shake up the team but he views Brand as his franchise player.

He likely wouldn't take Manu for him and most here still would not trade Ginobili for Brand. There would have to be another move to add a starting sg but adding a sg is easier than adding a quality big man.

rascal
01-22-2008, 12:44 PM
Where do the points come from if you give up TP and MG? I don't think Brand can average 40 points a night.

No doubt he did not mean both Manu and Parker.

ChumpDumper
01-22-2008, 12:47 PM
Maybe we should trade for someone who would be able to play this season. Brand isn't even allowed to run or jump yet.

T Park
01-22-2008, 12:48 PM
Trade Ginobili?

Uh no. I don't know what the fuck you got against Manu Rascal, but the damn insanity with that BS needs to quit.

Extra Stout
01-22-2008, 12:56 PM
The Spurs need, if anything, stopgap help in the frontcourt for this season only. Trading for Elton Brand, who probably won't be available to play until next season, doesn't make any sense.

SenorSpur
01-22-2008, 01:03 PM
Perhaps this will squash the suggestions on acquiring Brand.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/50446/20080122/brand_unlikely_to_opt_out/

Brand Unlikely To Opt Out?
January 22, 2008 - 12:22 pm
RealGM Staff Report -
This summer, Elton Brand can elect to opt out of his contract to become a free agent, but owner Donald Sterling does not anticipate that happening.

"One, based on my conversation with Elton, he's not going to opt out," Sterling told the Los Angeles Times. "And two, whatever he asks for, I think he deserves. He is our franchise player, we need him. You saw a short time ago we were pretty close to being a special team, and now without him you see how difficult it is.

AFBlue
01-22-2008, 01:20 PM
2010? This is exactly what I heard before ,about signing a great free agent at a future date and the spurs ended up with Rasho Nesterovic.

True, the Spurs may not get Chris Bosh, Lebron James, or Dwyane Wade.

But look at all the other choices out there....

F/C:
Carlos Boozer
Tyson Chandler (Player Option)
Amare Stoudemire (Player Option)
Darko Milicic
Jermaine O'Neal
Eddy Curry (Player Option)
Luis Scola

G/F:
Joe Johnson
Mike Miller
Michael Redd (Player Option)
Rip Hamilton
Tracy McGrady
Stephen Jackson
Al Harrington

Bottom Line: I think the Spurs have a REALLY good shot at landing an impact FA in 2010. Let's face it, 2010 is a make-or-break year for this franchise that will likely dictate how the immediate Post-Duncan Era plays out.

ChumpDumper
01-22-2008, 01:22 PM
Luis Scola:lol

AFBlue
01-22-2008, 01:22 PM
Also, I'm questioning the timing of the preposed trade....

Are you saying the Spurs should give up Ginobili NOW for a guy that won't even be able to play in games until next year, and who even at that time will still be recovering from an achilles tendon tear?

Or, are you advocating the Spurs trade for him after this season when he'll likely be given franchise-type dollars to stick around, thus making it more difficult to find enough salary to match?

I'm just trying to figure out the logistics of how getting Brand actually takes place.

AFBlue
01-22-2008, 01:25 PM
:lol

Notice he was at the bottom of the F/C list. Not that it was necessarily my best-to-worst, but it probably wasn't far off...

I'd much rather it be Chris Bosh.

Extra Stout
01-22-2008, 01:37 PM
Notice he was at the bottom of the F/C list. Not that it was necessarily my best-to-worst, but it probably wasn't far off...

I'd much rather it be Chris Bosh.
I'd much rather it be a clone of Wilt Chamberlain in his prime, with a few Calvin Murphy genes thrown in to improve his free throw shooting.

Mine's about as realistic as yours.

AFBlue
01-22-2008, 02:00 PM
I'd much rather it be a clone of Wilt Chamberlain in his prime, with a few Calvin Murphy genes thrown in to improve his free throw shooting.

Mine's about as realistic as yours.

Why?

Is Chris Bosh not potentially a FA in 2010?

Are the Spurs not in a position to have enough money to sign a max-player in 2010?

Would the Spurs still have at least Tony Parker and Tim Duncan for another year or two and be in theoretical contention for the title?

Tell me if I'm off on any of this....

Here, I'll go ahead and make your argument for you:

Chris Bosh could decide to be loyal to the Raptors, who drafted him and built their team around him. He could also get one more year of guaranteed dollars from the Raps than the Spurs or any other team could offer.

That about sums up the "against" argument for him coming here. Could it prevent him from coming here? Sure. It was enough for Kidd and O'Neal to stick with their teams.

BUT, it could happen and I'd say it's alot more likely than your scenario.

Extra Stout
01-22-2008, 02:09 PM
Why?

Is Chris Bosh not potentially a FA in 2010?

Are the Spurs not in a position to have enough money to sign a max-player in 2010?

Would the Spurs still have at least Tony Parker and Tim Duncan for another year or two and be in theoretical contention for the title?

Tell me if I'm off on any of this....

Here, I'll go ahead and make your argument for you:

Chris Bosh could decide to be loyal to the Raptors, who drafted him and built their team around him. He could also get one more year of guaranteed dollars from the Raps than the Spurs or any other team could offer.

That about sums up the "against" argument for him coming here. Could it prevent him from coming here? Sure. It was enough for Kidd and O'Neal to stick with their teams.

BUT, it could happen and I'd say it's alot more likely than your scenario.
Give me one instance, just one, a single, solitary one, of a superstar franchise player under the age of 30, voluntarily electing to leave his current team and take less money to join a team in an even smaller market.

I'll bet on genetic engineering first.

P.S. Rashard Lewis is not a superstar franchise player, in case you were thinking of going there.

AFBlue
01-22-2008, 02:25 PM
Give me one instance, just one, a single, solitary one, of a superstar franchise player under the age of 30, voluntarily electing to leave his current team and take less money to join a team in an even smaller market.

P.S. Rashard Lewis is not a superstar franchise player, in case you were thinking of going there.

Too lazy to research, but assuming you're right it's a fair point.

It'll obviously be a while, but I guess we'll have to wait and see...

Bottom Line: TD didn't leave $11M on the table for the Spurs to do nothing, and the FO realizes that Parker is probably gone the year after if they don't make a significant move. I think they'll recruit HARD for the aformentioned players.....to include Bosh.

SenorSpur
01-22-2008, 02:28 PM

Yeah, I agree and have made that point a few times in the past. Never say never, of course. But the likelihood of any superstar FA leaving money on the table to bolt to another team is remote at best.

I saw an interview with Bosh last week on the ESPN show, "Rome is Burning". He stated that he had much loyalty to the Raps because they were THE team that drafted him. He went onto say that the reasons he preferred to stay in a small market like Toronto was it "better suited his goals of developing his franchise-level talents" and he rather enjoyed "being the marquee cog in the building of a winning culture and winning tradition with a young team like the Raps." He preferred this as opposed to going into a "ready-made" situation.

He seems like a stand-up dude.

rascal
01-22-2008, 02:40 PM
Trade Ginobili?

Uh no. I don't know what the fuck you got against Manu Rascal, but the damn insanity with that BS needs to quit.

This is a good example of what Kori has been talking about in another thread about you.
Manu has trade value and is the most logical player to trade. He has less value to the teams success than Parker(younger with more upside potential) or Duncan(the franchise).

rascal
01-22-2008, 02:42 PM
Agree with Extra Stout: Don't hold out hope of signing a star free agent. It is not likely to happen. Thats why its better to try to look into getting a star quality player through a trade.

Spurs Dynasty 21
01-22-2008, 03:19 PM
Trade Elson, Barry, Finely, Oberto, and whoever else they want

anyone except the big 3

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-22-2008, 03:24 PM
Trade Elson, Barry, Finely, Oberto, and whoever else they want

anyone except the big 3
:lol "anyone except the big 3."

And it seems as though you're fond of players who aren't playing.

baseline bum
01-22-2008, 03:27 PM
I love Brand, but goddamn; why would the team throw this season? You don't waste a year of Duncan's prime.

e20dylan
01-22-2008, 03:40 PM
why do yall want jr smith? hes nothing but trouble we could pick someone WAY better like james posey. manu will be a spur forever. believe it get over it.

timmy21_4rings
01-23-2008, 06:34 AM
And where do you suppose we get scoring from if we trade Manu or Parker?

We will get the points from Brand...

He's going to be good enough to have a spot in the rotation immediately. And we also have Ian, btw.

Look what happened to the best player in past few year Euro league..I mean Scola....Until proven in NBA, there is no guarantee he would be a good NBA player..Ian???? We can talk abt him once he has grown up....

rascal
01-23-2008, 07:00 AM
I love Brand, but goddamn; why would the team throw this season? You don't waste a year of Duncan's prime.

What do you mean? Brand will be back. By the way the spurs look now they are throwing away this year by not doing anything.

rascal
01-23-2008, 07:08 AM
We will get the points from Brand...

Look what happened to the best player in past few year Euro league..I mean Scola....Until proven in NBA, there is no guarantee he would be a good NBA player..Ian???? We can talk abt him once he has grown up....

Exactly. I heard for over two years how Scola was going to be a big difference maker for the spurs. Brand is a proven player, Splitter and Ian are just prospects at this time. Splitter can end up being worse than Milicic, just a player that cannot adjust to the nba game. So don't get too carried away saying the spurs are all set with Splitter coming.

jay014
01-23-2008, 09:25 AM
Manu for Josh Smth
along with Tim Duncan
and Tiago Splitter make for a hell of a front court.

ancestron
01-23-2008, 10:34 AM
Trading Manu Ginobili......

thats just crazy talk.

JR smith sucks btw.

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-23-2008, 06:22 PM
We will get the points from Brand.....
Not if he is injury-prone and hasn't seen any action at all this season...

Scola is older and barely has any potential. Comparing him to a young true power forward with loads of potential doesn't make any sense. Same situation for Splitter.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-23-2008, 06:41 PM

You are fucking kidding me!?

Manu is as essential to this team as Timmy or Tony - they are the "Big 3" because they are complementary to each other and the team needs each one of them to function. No way I'd break up this core until it becomes apparent they are no longer contenders, and that's 2-3 seasons away.

As for Brand, nice player, but how exactly does he fit next to Tim? He does a lot of the same stuff. No way I'd trade one of the Big 3 for him.

dg7md
01-23-2008, 06:42 PM
Trade anybody but the big three for Brand.

jay014
01-23-2008, 09:28 PM
No way I'd break up this core until it becomes apparent they are no longer contenders, and that's 2-3 seasons away.
Why wait til then and become the Boston Celtics before 2008. Since '93 they have posted a 514-678 with 6 playoffs appearances, best season was when they played NJ in the conf finals with a 49-33 record and making the playoffs with 35,36 wins seasons what does that give you in the west? A seat in the NBA lottery selection.Sean was traded why not any Manu or Tony. Manu preferably because of his age. Remember when this caused a roar among Spurs(Elliott)fans after he was traded.http://www.checkoutmycards.com/CardImages/Cards/006/925/07F.jpg

exstatic
01-23-2008, 10:13 PM
Why wait til then and become the Boston Celtics before 2008. Since '93 they have posted a 514-678 with 6 playoffs appearances, best season was when they played NJ in the conf finals with a 49-33 record and making the playoffs with 35,36 wins seasons what does that give you in the west? A seat in the NBA lottery selection.Sean was traded why not any Manu or Tony. Manu preferably because of his age. Remember when this caused a roar among Spurs(Elliott)fans after he was traded.

You'll notice they went and got Sean back, realizing it was a mistake.

You only have 2 guys on the team that can really create for themselves and for others: Tony and Manu. You start fucking with that for a post player who is redundant to Tim, and you have the 2001 Spurs all over again. Tony can't play 48 minutes.

jay014
01-23-2008, 10:16 PM
You'll notice they went and got Sean back, realizing it was a mistake.

Yeah right after the failed Rockets trade.

debo
01-23-2008, 10:24 PM
trading Manu

no

baseline bum
01-23-2008, 11:16 PM
Why wait til then and become the Boston Celtics before 2008. Since '93 they have posted a 514-678 with 6 playoffs appearances, best season was when they played NJ in the conf finals with a 49-33 record and making the playoffs with 35,36 wins seasons what does that give you in the west? A seat in the NBA lottery selection.Sean was traded why not any Manu or Tony. Manu preferably because of his age. Remember when this caused a roar among Spurs(Elliott)fans after he was traded.http://www.checkoutmycards.com/CardImages/Cards/006/925/07F.jpg

The Celtics didn't suck because they held onto Bird and McHale. They sucked because Len Bias and Reggie Lewis died.

jay014
01-23-2008, 11:22 PM
They sucked .
YES

exstatic
01-24-2008, 12:00 AM
Y

jay014
01-24-2008, 12:03 AM
.YES

milkyway21
01-24-2008, 12:03 AM
I love Brand. But I won't give up Manu or TP over him.

plus Brand is injury-prone.

PASS.