PDA

View Full Version : Charlotte Observer: Spurs pick on flaw -- and roll

Dex
01-22-2008, 01:47 PM
Spurs pick on flaw -- and roll
Bobcats struggle defending basic play
RICK BONNELL
[email protected]

Here's a team that knows how to extinguish an opponent's strength: The San Antonio Spurs held Charlotte Bobcats Gerald Wallace and Jason Richardson to 10-of-36 shooting.

Here's a team that didn't know how to extinguish an opponent's strength: The Spurs ran the pick-and-roll continuously, and the next time the Bobcats disrupt it might be the first. :lol

That was the subtle but defining difference Monday in Charlotte's otherwise close 95-86 loss at Bobcats Arena.

"Our pick-and-roll defense was a big factor to us,'' Wallace said of the matinee loss on Martin Luther King Jr. Day. "They probably ran that 90 percent of the time. It was the biggest thing that hurt us.''

It was more than big, it was overarching. Spurs big man Tim Duncan (19 points, 10 rebounds) was the roadblock, springing teammates Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili to go just about wherever they wanted -- often to the rim. Those two were a model of consistency, combining for 32 points on 14-of-29 shooting.

When the Bobcats (16-25) occasionally shut off their path to the basket, Ginobili and Parker found jump-shooters Michael Finley and Ime Udoka along the perimeter. The Spurs were 8-of-16 from 3-point range, the Bobcats 2-of-14.

Pick-and-roll isn't some radical concept; it's typically the most basic play in an NBA offense. The defending-champion Spurs (26-13) just execute it better than most, and the Bobcats are hit-and-miss defending it this season.

"Tim sets such a big screen because he's allowed to sit down a little bit" while setting the pick, coach Sam Vincent said. "That's really hard on our guards because he's able to stick his butt out so far."

Ginobili said Bobcats big men hang back in the lane to defend the play, which can leave pull-up jump shooters wide open in the lane. Ginobili and Parker both love that pull-up.

The Bobcats might have overcome their defensive flaws, but their top two scoring options, Wallace and Richardson, were nonfactors after halftime. Richardson (13 points) was scoreless in the second half on 0-of-7 shooting. Wallace, playing with a calf strain and knee bruise on his left leg, was 1-of-8 in the second half for seven of his 15 points.

"If we got a big scoring night from either one of our (big) two -- and either is capable of a 40-point night" they'd be fine, Vincent said. "They just weren't hitting their shots."

ancestron
01-22-2008, 02:15 PM
Tim does have a big ass.

SenorSpur
01-22-2008, 02:33 PM
Tim does have a big ass.

He'll never be confused with Anthony Mason or BIg Baby :lol

MoSpur
01-22-2008, 02:34 PM
Something about Sam Vincent talking about Tim's butt being big is not right.

Findog
01-22-2008, 03:46 PM
Tim does have a big ass.

He's also got big thumbs. Seriously, what the hell are those things?

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1181/565625951_774995c5d3_o.jpg

I bet he's got big feet too. I'm sure his wife is really sore after sex.

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-22-2008, 03:47 PM
He's also got big thumbs. Seriously, what the hell are those things?

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1181/565625951_774995c5d3_o.jpg
:lmao That has to be photoshopped.

duncan228
01-22-2008, 04:00 PM
I bet he's got big feet too.

Size 16.

And I'm not going anywhere else. :)

ancestron
01-22-2008, 05:01 PM
I wear size 14 :fro

m33p0
01-22-2008, 10:35 PM
Something about Sam Vincent talking about Tim's butt being big is not right.
yup. he's trying to say they're illegal picks. if it was yao setting them up, no doubt, he'd be whistled for it.

Dex
01-22-2008, 10:51 PM
I've noticed that Tim does tend to crook over a little bit when he sets his picks, which would make anybody tougher to get around. He probably gets an extra inch or two of movement that most players in the league would get called for regularly.

That being said, every superstar and MVP in this league gets the benefit of the doubt from the officials for certain little things. Jordan got it. Kobe got it. Lebron gets it.

Even players who establish certain reputations, ala Dennis Rodman or Bruce Bowen, start to get away with little things if the refs see it regularly enough.

tmtcsc
01-23-2008, 04:07 AM
:lmao That has to be photoshopped.

Does Tim have large Talons ?

http://barfblog.foodsafety.ksu.edu/gallery_Napoleon_Dynamite_1.jpg

slayermin
01-23-2008, 04:28 AM
He'll never be confused with Anthony Mason or BIg Baby :lol

First player that came to my mind was Rick Mahorn.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-23-2008, 07:28 AM
I wear size 14 :fro

Me too. :toast :donkey :lmao

Tim has broadened noticeably since his first few seasons. Check out some of his mixes on youtube to see how skinny he was!

ancestron
01-23-2008, 10:49 AM
When he is shooting free throws, it is easiest to tell that there's rarely a meal missed in the Duncan household.