PDA

View Full Version : Ian Mahinmi D league.....is he ready?

telecomguy
01-22-2008, 04:28 PM
These are pretty darn good numbers. Is Ian ready to join the team for spot duties for the stretch run? Seeing as how Elson isn't playing particularly well, I wonder if Ian can be given some minutes or is it better to let him play regularly for 30 minutes down in the D league? 64% shooting, 19 pts., are not bad numbers for such a young kid. We may have a diamond in the rough here.....

2007-08 D-League Statistics
PPG18.4 RPG7.70 APG1.5 EFF+ 22.00 Position: C
Born: Nov 5, 1986
Height: 6-11 / 2,11
Weight: 230 lbs. / 104,3 kg.
College:France PLAYER FINDER
Select A TeamAlbuquerque ThunderbirdsAnaheim ArsenalAustin TorosBakersfield JamColorado 14ersDakota WizardsFort Wayne Mad AntsIdaho StampedeIowa EnergyLos Angeles D-FendersRio Grande Valley VipersSioux Falls SkyforceTulsa 66ersUtah Flash

Select A Player

HomeCareer Stats and TotalsSeason SplitsGame Logs SEASON AVERAGES
Season Team G GS MPG FG% 3p% FT% OFF DEF RPG APG SPG BPG TO PF PPG
07-08 AUS 19 19 31.2 .642 .000 .791 2.5 5.2 7.7 1.5 1.6 1.3 2.74 4.00 18.4

Mr. Body
01-22-2008, 04:36 PM
Wow - a transposed box score that's basically legible! Congratulations!

As for Mahinmi, I'd like to see him play spot minutes in the NBA this year. He's exceeded a lot of people's expectations in the NBDL.

Ocotillo
01-22-2008, 04:40 PM
Despite Elson's regression and continued disappointment, I don't see the Spurs bringing Ian up this year. It might even set his development back a bit because his playing time would likely lessen. I think the plan is to keep him in Austin the full year and bring him in to summer league and training camp at which point he should (I hope) earn a roster spot.

The thing that concerns me is I am afraid Robert Horry has lost it. I know he go through the motions until the playoffs but I am skeptical that when he hits the switch this year, the light flickers and goes out.

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-22-2008, 04:44 PM
"D" League is an appropriate name because the skill level is easily three or four notches below the NBA level.

That being said, however, Ian has exceeded my expectations so far. I still think he's too green for the NBA.

Next year...next year... :smokin

z0sa
01-22-2008, 04:52 PM
hes turning it over almost three times a game and hes averaging 4 fouls -- those two things won't translate well to the nba where the defense is scrappier and the players are much much better at creating contact and drawing fouls.

I echo the sentiment of next season.

tomcat
01-22-2008, 05:39 PM
Throw him in the fire and lets see. :devil

T Park
01-22-2008, 05:46 PM
Not enough time. Needs more PT and won't get it with the Spurs.
Leave him where he is.

remingtonbo2001
01-22-2008, 06:51 PM
"D" League is an appropriate name because the skill level is easily three or four notches below the NBA level.

That being said, however, Ian has exceeded my expectations so far. I still think he's too green for the NBA.

Next year...next year... :smokin

I wonder if their will ever be a "C" League?

SequSpur
01-22-2008, 06:57 PM
you guys are stupid. you all are contemplating elson playing vs. anyone else. elson fucking sucks. the fucking coyote is a better option. got damn.

ChumpDumper
01-22-2008, 06:57 PM
I wonder if their will ever be a "C" League?Hopefully the D-League just starts paying better in the future so it can keep some more talent in the states.

timvp
01-22-2008, 07:12 PM
Mahinmi isn't good enough yet. Right now, Elson is better than Mahinmi.

SenorSpur
01-22-2008, 07:31 PM
Mahinmi isn't good enough yet. Right now, Elson is better than Mahinmi.

With the way Elson has regressed, that's a scary thought!

pad300
01-22-2008, 07:37 PM
Hopefully the D-League just starts paying better in the future so it can keep some more talent in the states.

Hey Chump, when does the D-league season end? Is there time after the D-league season is done to bring him up for some NBA action at the end of the season?

ChumpDumper
01-22-2008, 07:51 PM
The end dates are very close. He could play in the last three games of the Spurs' season, but that depends on the D-League playoff schedule.

MrChug
01-22-2008, 08:03 PM
Wow - a transposed box score that's basically legible! Congratulations!

As for Mahinmi, I'd like to see him play spot minutes in the NBA this year. He's exceeded a lot of people's expectations in the NBDL.

I don't know...being so impressed with Ian makes me think it could be one of 3 things:

1. He's good.
2. He's impressive because he's VERY impressive in the D-League (although he created a few smiles in the preseason with us).
3. He EXPECTS to have an NBA contract next year...foolish because we're smart enough to realize that that agressiveness will most likely translate to fouls (i.e. benchtime=no time) in our league.

I still love Ian...yes, more than Elson. I still think it might be TWO years before he can do what he does in the NBA.

traitoravery
01-22-2008, 11:12 PM
Hmmmm.....I wonder what Elsons numbers be in the DL?

telecomguy
01-22-2008, 11:38 PM
Hmmmm.....I wonder what Elsons numbers be in the DL?

valid question. you are a smart man! if you have raw talent, you can quickly learn the nuance of the game. Look at Kobe, Bynum, Garnett, etc. While I am not suggesting Ian is that talented, he can learn more playing in NBA than in the D league. The question is whether he can help more than hurt the Spurs because of course Spurs need to win NOW, not develop youngsters.

By the way, I've been watching Bynum and Glen (Baby) Davis a lot lately, these two young guys are very talented. Just think if Tim had either one of those two bruisers (ok Davis is the real bruiser but Bynum has the bigger potential) to help him out, Spurs would dominate the front court.

Spurs have not had anyone really physical and skilled in the front court ever since Robinson retired and TD has been trying to carry the load all on his own. I really hope Tiago can be that second Big that can take some pressure off TD. I am very impressed with Glen Davis's quickness and toughness to get to the hoop as well as his paint skills.......and he was not a high draft pick!!

objective
01-23-2008, 08:22 PM
Austin is playing right now against Colorado

Mahinmi is wearing something on his right wrist that I don't think I've noticed before, so maybe it's new. I can't tell if it's just a wristband or if it's a wrap.

boutons_
01-23-2008, 08:25 PM
Mahinmi is better than Francisco, for whatever that's worth, he's certainly not worse.

objective
01-23-2008, 08:29 PM
I can see it now, it's a hand/wrist wrap.

tomcat
01-23-2008, 08:30 PM
That attempted step-thru move by Ian was the ugliest thing I've seen this side of Austin. :wtf

thiste
01-23-2008, 09:26 PM
14 pts, 7 rbs and 0 fouls at half time, pretty good start.