PDA

View Full Version : Damien Wilkins

tomcat
01-22-2008, 05:29 PM
Wilkins wants out of Seattle. $2.6 mil

Thoughts on him for athletic and long wing? He began the year fantastic and has found himself on the bench for the prepping of Jeff Green

Maybe Presti will give him to us?

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-22-2008, 05:32 PM
I like your ability to gain the latest information. :tu You're going to be pretty valuable come offseason time.
As for Wilkins, PHAT TONY mentioned the thought of the Spurs trading for Damien just awhile ago in the Time to Trade thread.
Elson for Wilkins, you can't help but to like that trade.

tomcat
01-22-2008, 05:37 PM
I think Wilkins would be a perfect fit. His athleticism is off the charts! He seems to be a Spurs type player and would fill a role nicely without pouting or complaining.

He's not a go-to or superstar type player but is a very viable option.
Great price too for what could turn out to be a steal.

Kori Ellis
01-22-2008, 05:44 PM
He's not very long. He's just a wing. He's closer to 6'4 than he is 6'6.

Spurminator
01-22-2008, 05:45 PM
He'd find Pop's doghouse very quick and stay there.

Kori Ellis
01-22-2008, 05:46 PM
Note: He has a great wingspan for his height though.

T Park
01-22-2008, 05:46 PM
Damien thinks hes Dominique?
No thanks.

Kori Ellis
01-22-2008, 05:47 PM
Damien thinks hes Dominique?
No thanks.

He does?

SenorSpur
01-22-2008, 06:12 PM
We've already got a 6'5" wing player - Udoka

urunobili
01-22-2008, 06:42 PM
Udoka>Wilkins

TDMVPDPOY
01-22-2008, 10:49 PM
seriously we dont need him

udoka is the answer atm

hell we shouldve kept DJ > wilkens

telecomguy
01-22-2008, 11:40 PM
I like your ability to gain the latest information. :tu You're going to be pretty valuable come offseason time.
As for Wilkins, PHAT TONY mentioned the thought of the Spurs trading for Damien just awhile ago in the Time to Trade thread.
Elson for Wilkins, you can't help but to like that trade.

That would be a great trade for Spurs...i thought Elson can contribute, especially against Dirk but he is just not smart enough to play at Spurs level, especially defensively. I've always liked Wilkens, a hard nosed player who could play defense as well as contribute on the offense.....very under-rated.

genomefreak13
01-23-2008, 12:23 AM
Wilkins who? They can have him. I like udoka. More athlethic , great defensive player and with no star complex. Who wants a player that wants an easy way out everytime he gets to sticky situation?

tomcat
01-23-2008, 10:14 AM
WTF- Udoka is NOT, I repeat NOT more athletic than Wilkins. Udoka cannot jump and is slow afoot. He plays smart and that makes him a good defender...not athleticism.

Wilkins has offense and defense. Spurs are going to have to get more athletic at some point.

Maybe Wilkins is not the answer, but we definitely need more athletic wing guards. High flying and speed driven.

Youth and athleticism is driving the league towards the future.

AFBlue
01-23-2008, 11:18 AM
All this talk about Wilkins v. Udoka misses the point....

Is Wilkins better than Elson? I think most would agree that's the case. If so, then make the trade and figure out the rotation works thereafter.

My point is that the Spurs are clearly sending a message to their other bigs (Elson and Bonner specifically) that the Spurs don't NEED them to play.

Bottom Line: If they'll take Elson for Wilkins straight up, DO THAT DEAL!

mountainballer
01-23-2008, 12:17 PM
the problem with Wilkins is, that for whatever reason, he thinks he's a better player than he really is. he thinks that when Ray Allen left, he's the one to take the kind of shots Allen did.
which is not such a good idea.
he would have the tools for a useful role player though.

AFBlue
01-23-2008, 12:30 PM
the problem with Wilkins is, that for whatever reason, he thinks he's a better player than he really is. he thinks that when Ray Allen left, he's the one to take the kind of shots Allen did.
which is not such a good idea.
he would have the tools for a useful role player though.

So what you're saying is that he's an aggressive offensive player?

I think that's actually a quality that Pop likes. Plus, this guy is versatile enough to guard 2/3, which Pop also likes.

I'm sure there would be questions about his attitude, but I think it's probably more a product of the youth movement going on there and how he's been the odd man out. In this situation I think he'd be okay.

Again, it seems like all of the ingredients are there for a deal...

1. GMs know and like eachother
2. Sonics are trying to add future cap space
3. Spurs looking to get younger, more athletic on wings
4. Low risk for both parties.

There's almost no reason NOT to do it.

mountainballer
01-23-2008, 03:38 PM
So what you're saying is that he's an aggressive offensive player?

I think that's actually a quality that Pop likes. Plus, this guy is versatile enough to guard 2/3, which Pop also likes.

I'm sure there would be questions about his attitude, but I think it's probably more a product of the youth movement going on there and how he's been the odd man out. In this situation I think he'd be okay.

Again, it seems like all of the ingredients are there for a deal...

1. GMs know and like eachother
2. Sonics are trying to add future cap space
3. Spurs looking to get younger, more athletic on wings
4. Low risk for both parties.

There's almost no reason NOT to do it.

what I want to say is that he just isn't a very talented player. if he would focus on the typical role player qualities, he would be useful.
remember all the talks about Devin? they are more or less the same players, with the difference that Devin is slightly better in most aspects and the difference that Devin is much better in understanding his role.
before I dream of adding Wilkins, I dream of bringing back Devin anytime.
if Wilkins was a part of this team, people would get very very disappointed immediatly.

that doesn't mean that there wouldn't be a nice scenario, if we look at the Sonics. it's Collison. not that they activly try to get rid of him, but considering their rebuilding process it's quite possible, that Presti wants to get rid of his long term contract. if he could be had for expiring contracts (plus a pick if needed), then this would be a helpful addition in the current situation. and IMO his smart game and passing ability should fit well alongside Tim. and the fact that he is one of the best offensive rebounders in the league, would provide a wellcome upgrade in this department.
(if it was necessary to swallow Wilkins in such a trade....so be it)

AFBlue
01-23-2008, 04:06 PM
what I want to say is that he just isn't a very talented player. if he would focus on the typical role player qualities, he would be useful.
remember all the talks about Devin? they are more or less the same players, with the difference that Devin is slightly better in most aspects and the difference that Devin is much better in understanding his role.
before I dream of adding Wilkins, I dream of bringing back Devin anytime.
if Wilkins was a part of this team, people would get very very disappointed immediatly.

that doesn't mean that there wouldn't be a nice scenario, if we look at the Sonics. it's Collison. not that they activly try to get rid of him, but considering their rebuilding process it's quite possible, that Presti wants to get rid of his long term contract. if he could be had for expiring contracts (plus a pick if needed), then this would be a helpful addition in the current situation. and IMO his smart game and passing ability should fit well alongside Tim. and the fact that he is one of the best offensive rebounders in the league, would provide a wellcome upgrade in this department.
(if it was necessary to swallow Wilkins in such a trade....so be it)

Collison makes $5M until 2012 I believe, which is probably a non-starter. Tim didn't leave $11M on the table so the Spurs could go after Nick Collison in 2008.....he left it on the table to go after "LeBron James", a.k.a superstar, in 2010.