SA210
01-22-2008, 06:50 PM
January 20, 2008

The Honorable John E. Edwards
410 Market Street
Suite 400
Chapel Hill, NC 27516

Dear Senator Edwards:

It was good meeting with you yesterday and discussing my father’s legacy. On the day when the nation will honor my father, I wanted to follow up with a personal note.

There has been, and will continue to be, a lot of back and forth in the political arena over my father’s legacy. It is a commentary on the breadth and depth of his impact that so many people want to claim his legacy. I am concerned that we do not blur the lines and obscure the truth about what he stood for: speaking up for justice for those who have no voice.

I appreciate that on the major issues of health care, the environment, and the economy, you have framed the issues for what they are - a struggle for justice. And, you have almost single-handedly made poverty an issue in this election.

You know as well as anyone that the 37 million people living in poverty have no voice in our system. They don’t have lobbyists in Washington and they don’t get to go to lunch with members of Congress. Speaking up for them is not politically convenient. But, it is the right thing to do.

I am disturbed by how little attention the topic of economic justice has received during this campaign. I want to challenge all candidates to follow your lead, and speak up loudly and forcefully on the issue of economic justice in America.

From our conversation yesterday, I know this is personal for you. I know you know what it means to come from nothing. I know you know what it means to get the opportunities you need to build a better life. And, I know you know that injustice is alive and well in America, because millions of people will never get the same opportunities you had.

I believe that now, more than ever, we need a leader who wakes up every morning with the knowledge of that injustice in the forefront of their minds, and who knows that when we commit ourselves to a cause as a nation, we can make major strides in our own lifetimes. My father was not driven by an illusory vision of a perfect society. He was driven by the certain knowledge that when people of good faith and strong principles commit to making things better, we can change hearts, we can change minds, and we can change lives.

So, I urge you: keep going. Ignore the pundits, who think this is a horserace, not a fight for justice. My dad was a fighter. As a friend and a believer in my father’s words that injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere, I say to you: keep going. Keep fighting. My father would be proud.

Sincerely,

Martin L. King, III
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

MLK's son to EDWARDS: My Father Would Be Proud

by Cristina Corbin

On the eve of Martin Luther King Day—just moments before the start of the Democratic presidential debate in South Carolina—John Edwards’ campaign released a letter sent by King’s son, Martin Luther King III, to the former North Carolina senator, praising him for his commitment to end poverty and injustice and calling for all candidates to emulate his initiative.

“I want to challenge all candidates to follow your lead, and speak up loudly and forcefully on the issue of economic justice in America,” King wrote. “My dad was a fighter…Keep fighting. My father would be proud.”

Edwards and King held a private meeting at the King Center in Atlanta on Saturday, and though details of that encounter were not disclosed to the press, the two men discussed Dr. King’s legacy and their “shared commitment to fighting poverty,” according to Mark Kornblau, a spokesman for Edwards’ campaign.

In his letter, King addressed the aims of Edwards’ campaign mission: “I appreciate that on the major issues of health care, the environment, and the economy, you have framed the issues for what they are - a struggle for justice. And, you have almost single-handedly made poverty an issue in this election.”

The letter could not have come at a more opportune time for Edwards, who was asked at the end of Monday night’s debate, “If Dr. Martin Luther King were alive today…why do you think he would or why should he endorse you?”

Without hesitation, Edwards said he has focused his cause on the “two biggest issues that Dr. King stood for, which are the issues of equality and ending poverty in America.”

http://embeds.blogs.foxnews.com/2008/01/22/mlks-son-to-edwards-my-father-would-be-proud/

SA210
01-22-2008, 06:54 PM
A Letter from Martin Luther King, III (http://blog.johnedwards.com/story/2008/1/22/143341/885)

http://blog.johnedwards.com/images/admin/icon.user.gif David Bonior (http://blog.johnedwards.com/user/David%20Bonior) in News (http://blog.johnedwards.com/section/news) http://blog.johnedwards.com/images/admin/icon.feed.gif (http://blog.johnedwards.com/rss/news.rdf)
1/22/2008 at 2:33 PM EST

David Bonior is the National Campaign Manager for the Edwards campaign.

This past Saturday, while in Atlanta, John Edwards had a private meeting with Martin Luther King, III -- the eldest son of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Yesterday -- Martin Luther King Day -- John received a letter from Martin Luther King, III as a follow-up to that meeting. You can read it below.

I hope you will take a moment to read this wonderful call from Dr. King's son urging John to stay in the race -- and to continue fighting to eliminate injustice in America today.

Like Dr. King, John believes passionately that "injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." That is why he will continue to speak out, without fear or favor, on the issue of economic justice in America.

During last night's presidential debate, you could see John doing exactly what Martin Luther King, III urged him to do: framing the issues of health care and the economy as a struggle for justice.

And as the other two candidates bickered over who's right and who's wrong, it was John who cut through the fracas and asked, "This kind of squabbling, how many kids is this going to get health care? We have to understand this is not about us personally."

That's why he will fight on to the Democratic Convention and to the nomination, ignoring the pundits who want this to be little more than a two-candidate race, continuing to lead with an agenda that does "not blur lines or obscure the truth."

I hope you will continue to stand by John as he fights for an agenda of bold change, economic justice and providing a voice for those Americans that would otherwise be voiceless. Your support sustains John as he campaigns across this country.

In the meantime, please take a few minutes to read the letter below from Martin Luther King, III that so eloquently expresses why John is running.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

If Obama or Hillary got this letter, it would be talked about all day on TV.

atxrocker
01-22-2008, 06:59 PM
who gives a fuck what jr has to say about shit?

Ignignokt
01-22-2008, 07:17 PM
hobos don't have internets.

JoeChalupa
01-22-2008, 07:53 PM
Yeah, John Edwards is very passionate about his beliefs and I believe him.

01Snake
01-23-2008, 12:02 AM
Edwards = Toolbox

xrayzebra
01-23-2008, 11:26 AM
Yeah, John Edwards is very passionate about his beliefs and I believe him.

Especially when he is defending the downtrodden in a
court of law for 40 percent. Yeah, babe, a real defender
of the poor and downtrodden.

clambake
01-23-2008, 11:30 AM
actually, it's closer to 33%.

would you offer that to someone willing to cover your back when no one else will listen?

George Gervin's Afro
01-23-2008, 11:31 AM

Why do you hate MLK Jr and poor people ray?

nkdlunch
01-23-2008, 11:34 AM
Edwards would be a great candidate in about 10-20 years when the US is in the real shitter.

he is just a few years ahead of his time and because of that he will lose.

xrayzebra
01-23-2008, 11:46 AM
Why do you hate MLK Jr and poor people ray?

Why because that is just the way I am. Didn't you know
that? I am a equal hater type person. I hate all people
equally. Can you say that?
:p:

xrayzebra
01-23-2008, 11:51 AM
actually, it's closer to 33%.

would you offer that to someone willing to cover your back when no one else will listen?

Really, cover my back. Wonder if he would do that if
it wasn't money in his pocket. Get a lawyer to cover
your back when he doesn't think there is a chance to
make a buck. don't think so.

33 percent and expenses. Don't want to forget that
expenses part. But I think you will find it closer to
40 percent from the folks I have talked to.

Most folks that have suffered an injury (?) are lucky
if they get much of anything.

I still like the idea of if you sue and lose you have to
pay all the defendants legal cost. Sure would put a
crimp in the "defenders" of injured style. wouldn't it?

clambake
01-23-2008, 11:57 AM
Really, cover my back. Wonder if he would do that if
it wasn't money in his pocket. Get a lawyer to cover
your back when he doesn't think there is a chance to
make a buck. don't think so.

33 percent and expenses. Don't want to forget that
expenses part. But I think you will find it closer to
40 percent from the folks I have talked to.

Most folks that have suffered an injury (?) are lucky
if they get much of anything.

I still like the idea of if you sue and lose you have to
pay all the defendants legal cost. Sure would put a
crimp in the "defenders" of injured style. wouldn't it?
you don't know what the fuck you're talking about :lol

2centsworth
01-23-2008, 12:25 PM
no, i think he does. unfortunately I know about this all too well. btw, what does any of this have to do with poverty?

liberals propose handouts, goverment control, and eventually "Soma" i'm sure.

Republicans propose job creation.

there are some shades of gray, but in a nutshell that's how I see it.

DarkReign
01-23-2008, 12:32 PM

Thats obvious. Any lawyer, check that, EVERY lawyer makes a lot of money (unless youre a shit-stain public defender, but that position is reserved for those who got their law degree at community college).

Have you ever heard the term "pro bono"?

Yeah, Im sure you have Ray. Its expanded meaning goes "for the good of the public".

All criminal/trial lawyers take on pro bono work every year. 99% of the time its for the tax break. Regardless of the reasons, they do free work on a yearly basis, volunteering their professional expertise free of charge.

If they do it once a year, thats ONE more time than you all year. So who is the scumbag here?

clambake
01-23-2008, 12:33 PM
I also know about it too well. Real lawyers with competent clients know the outcome before it ever reaches trial.

Ray is just upset about Edwards success. He would sing a different song if Edwards were republican.

xrayzebra
01-23-2008, 12:58 PM
My friends, DR and Clam. If you honestly believe what you
have posted, then you both believe the old woman in the
shoe practiced birth control.

And Clam. Compent clients? What kind of client is that?

DarkReign
01-23-2008, 01:04 PM

You are.....ignorant to the world in more matters than politics. How many lawyer friends do you have? Associates?

I can name, off the top of my head, 5...make that 6. Ive had the "pro bono" conversation with 4 of them.

Fact.

clambake
01-23-2008, 01:04 PM

compent?

well, we know what kind of client you would make! :lol :lol

Oh, Gee!!
01-23-2008, 01:38 PM
cue FWD to give us some long, boring treatise on the practice of law. We get it, FWD: you're a lawyer.

DarkReign
01-23-2008, 01:45 PM
cue FWD to give us some long, boring treatise on the practice of law. We get it, FWD: you're a lawyer.

:lmao

Honestly though, I have been eagerly awaiting his opinion on the matter.

xrayzebra
01-23-2008, 02:08 PM
You are.....ignorant to the world in more matters than politics. How many lawyer friends do you have? Associates?

I can name, off the top of my head, 5...make that 6. Ive had the "pro bono" conversation with 4 of them.

Fact.

DR, pro bono for liability cases, that has to be a first.
And 4 out of 5. Hmmmm, I would have thought they
would have least wanted some expense money for
the time they spent getting money on a liability
case. But you just never know about those big
hearted lawyers. ACLU and some of these other
liberal lawyer groups could take a lesson from them.
They always want their share from government,
business and people. Always.

And yes I know lawyers and am friends of lawyers
and we have some great discussions with them.
And they always say the same thing. Look at how
we have change business practices. And I always
agree. But not always for the better.

JoeChalupa
01-23-2008, 02:11 PM
John Edwards is a good man with great beliefs. Yes, he is a lawyer and won settlements and got paid as he deserved. I'd want him as my lawyer going up against the lawyers of the insurance companies.

clambake
01-23-2008, 02:12 PM
DR, pro bono for liability cases, that has to be a first.
And 4 out of 5. Hmmmm, I would have thought they
would have least wanted some expense money for
the time they spent getting money on a liability
case. But you just never know about those big
hearted lawyers. ACLU and some of these other
liberal lawyer groups could take a lesson from them.
They always want their share from government,
business and people. Always.
:lol you don't know what the fuck you're talking about, still :lol

JoeChalupa
01-23-2008, 02:22 PM
^I concur.

xrayzebra
01-23-2008, 02:58 PM
^^And you two do. Pro bono on liability. Yep, you know your
stuff......

And sure Old John is a great guy. Just ask SA210, she has been
promoting him since time immoral. But it doesn't change my
views. He is was he is an ambulance chasing liability lawyer.

DarkReign
01-23-2008, 03:40 PM
^^And you two do. Pro bono on liability. Yep, you know your
stuff......

I wasnt speaking directly of Edwards, for the record.

But yes, I am quite sure a liability lawyer does pro bono work.

JoeChalupa
01-23-2008, 04:42 PM
Xray is one of the most closed minded posters on here.

2centsworth
01-23-2008, 06:12 PM
all lawyers are dirt bags, except my lawyers and friends who happen to be lawyers.

clambake
01-23-2008, 06:16 PM
anyone who calls all lawyers dirtbags must have lost.

not including you 2cent.

you must have won! :toast