PDA

View Full Version : Midseason (almost) Evaluation- Ime Udoka

Guajalote
01-22-2008, 11:52 PM
One silver lining (if there's such a thing) on all of these injuries, is that I've gotten to see more of Udoka playing. I never thought he'd see the light of day at the beginning of the season.

Question: What do you think of his progress so far?

Personally, I like him. He seems to move very well, especially in fast break situations. I've seen him a couple of times in the open court with Tony running and he seems pretty smooth. Although I don't get to see the Spurs play that much (I live in Indy so I don't get many local broadcasts, and I'm too cheap for League Pass), what little I've seen he seems to be fitting in nicely.

telecomguy
01-23-2008, 12:04 AM
One silver lining (if there's such a thing) on all of these injuries, is that I've gotten to see more of Udoka playing. I never thought he'd see the light of day at the beginning of the season.

Question: What do you think of his progress so far?

Personally, I like him. He seems to move very well, especially in fast break situations. I've seen him a couple of times in the open court with Tony running and he seems pretty smooth. Although I don't get to see the Spurs play that much (I live in Indy so I don't get many local broadcasts, and I'm too cheap for League Pass), what little I've seen he seems to be fitting in nicely.

I like his ability to body up and stay in front of his man. He will be a very good defender in the playoffs when they allow more physical contact...the dude is tough and will be very important against certain teams/matchups if Pop gives him the chance to play. He plays defense very differently than Bowen but i think he can be very effective.....now if he would only gain some confidence on the offnse so he doesn't hesitate before letting it fly..he has good jump shot mechanics (better than Bowen), its just matter of him gaining the confidence to take the shot rather than faking it and passing it off.

remingtonbo2001
01-23-2008, 12:48 AM
Ime is coming along very well, as I said ealier in the season when the doubters where out and about (cough cough...Timvp). I would expect him to be a significant role player come May.

SenorSpur
01-23-2008, 02:49 AM
I wa a bit familiar with him from watching some of the Blazers games last season. I recall a particular fine showing versus the Spurs in Portland. I was never worried about him fitting into the Spurs system. I was more concerned as to whether or not he'd become a 1st year contributor. Looks like he will.

TDMVPDPOY
01-23-2008, 02:55 AM
udoka mvp dpoy mip GOAT

SAGambler
01-23-2008, 10:02 AM
I think going into the Feb schedule, we will see Ime on the floor more. He seems to have gotten the D down pretty well, and says he is getting really comfortable with the offense. He stated that now when Pop gives the signals, he no longer has to think a moment where to go, it just comes naturally.

I like his one on one defense, and I like his shot. Guy doesn't seem to rattle, so he should fit right in with the Big 3.

I sort of look for him to start coming in with Manu. Will sure help take some pressure off of MG, when he is pretty much out there with the second team. I look for him to be in the starting lineup next year.

I would like to see the second unit consisting of Manu, Ime, Barry, Bonner and Elson on the floor for a while. Let Barry run the point, and play some run and gun type offense.
I think you would see some improved "bench scoring" out of this group.

Also wouldn't surprise me to see Ime on the floor in the last half of the 4th quarter in tight games. Would give us more D without hurting the Offense. I also think against teams like the Nuggets where you have AI and Anthony, you can match up Bowen with one and Ime on the other one and really shut them down.

I'm looking for good things out of this guy.

nkdlunch
01-23-2008, 10:05 AM
I was thinking of lineup of Barry, Manu, Ime but no elson or bonner please!!!

I prefer Oberto + Horry. that is a kickass bench lineup. in the playoffs beleive me, Pop will use it and it will rule

Guajalote
01-24-2008, 12:18 AM
Hard to argue against tonight against L.A. True, one game does not a season make. However, I'm feeling better and better about the long wait to sign him this summer, and then the long wait at the first part of the season.

I'd say he's feeling pretty comfortable now.

Sec24Row7
01-24-2008, 12:21 AM
Trying to evaluate Ime after his game tonight would be like evaluating Bonner after the game he played right after Duncan went down...

AFBlue
01-24-2008, 12:25 AM
For all the Bowen comparisons, I'd say Ime is strikingly more similar to a non-Spur....Raja Bell. Sure, like Bowen, Udoka is toughnosed and pesky defensively. But unlike Bowen, Ime seems to have a smooth offensive game and is not restricted to being a spot-up shooter.

He seems to be getting more comfortable in the Spurs offense, and it shows. He's able to make plays in transition, come off screens and knock down shots, and of course hit the spot-up three pointer....a must in this offense.

I think the grade is still "incomplete" because I want to see more of him before I make any determination. Let's face it, he's been a regular rotation member for a couple weeks.

Having said that, I'm VERY encouraged by what I've seen so far.

T Park
01-24-2008, 12:45 AM
Wow, great comparison Phat.

He does remind you a bit of Raja Bell.

I wonder though could he hit pull up threes like Raja..

Whisky Dog
01-24-2008, 01:04 AM
Udoka's been playing better and better ball over the last couple of weeks, and that is the most encouraging sign for the Spurs this season. He just ate Kobe's lunch in the 2nd half as Pop went with him on Kobe in crunch time. Nice offensive game that has come around in the last week or two - if he can play anywhere near this level on both ends of the court this is going to be the best bench in the NBA by far come playoffs.