PDA

View Full Version : LAKERS on the road, some insight

biba
01-23-2008, 02:23 AM
Day One On The Road
Published by Nick Kioski | January 22, 2008 @ 10:37pm CST
http://www.nba.com/lakers/news/ontheroad_080122.html
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First of all, let's set the ground work for how this all came about. This trip is a tribute to the cliché that you don't know unless you ask or in more sporting terms, you can't score if you don't shoot or as some might say, if you see the hot girl in the bar, you can either talk to her or walk away. We are sitting on this plane because we (the Lakers.com we) decided to go ahead and ask. What the surprise was, was that we got the green light and even some "good idea's". I suppose we have the other teams that have gone down the path of the all access road trip before to thank.

So now we are going on the famed Texas two-step, a rite for many NBA teams. This time we have drawn San Antonio and Dallas, both only slightly behind the Lakers in the Western Conference and both looking more vulnerable than in past seasons. If not for Andrew Bynum's injury, we might be on the high-flyingest ride in the whole league (current 20000 foot altitude aside), but as it stands, the team played well against Denver and now they get another litmus test.

Our goal on the road trip is going to be to show what life is like on the road, talk to the people that make it happen (let's just say it isn't magic that gets those uniforms hanging in the lockers) and have some fun too. Let's face it, we have lucked into an experience that few get undertake, and since we are just doing it once and for 4 days, going from plane to hotel to arena to plane will feel more like a giddy thrill than the worst part of the job.

The first stop is naturally planning for departure. Our plan is to arrive early, scope out the situation and then capture the arrivals. And then jump on the plane before someone realizes that leaving now can ditch the newbies. As is likely with every team, the Lakers leave from a special charter terminal. It's LA, so it's all outside, but you get to park right there, you get ample wand time instead of the normal security "doorway" and no one reminds you every 5 seconds about leaving your liquids in a clear 1 quart bag. There's still security hoops to jump through, but personal service has its perks.

The plane is a full size plane, think Los Angeles to Las Vegas or Phoenix size, not 747 size, and we get the rear staircase. It occurs to me that I haven't ever had the pleasure of the full size plane staircase, plenty of puddle jumpers, but not a full size plane.

The cabin is divided into thirds, players at the front, coaches in the middle and then broadcast media and staff in the back.

The players' section has the normal pairs of seats, but that's end the similarities to what most of us have experienced, even to normal first class comfort. I think I could lay down between seats and since I am more than 31 inches tall, that means there is a lot more leg room than you'd normally see. Of course, the plane has to accommodate sleeping 7 footers, so not much of a surprise.

There is also a table in the player section so they can just chill with each other for day flights like this. I would imagine that the flight home on Friday will be an "everyone in their seat conked out" affair. As it is, the players practiced this morning after last night's game, so they might be a bit tired already. The rest of us get to turn off the TV once the game ends, but the players have to shower, address the media, take care of injuries and then they get to bed. The next morning doesn't come much later either.

The coaches get more seats facing each other. That makes sense, they'll be using the time to prepare for the next game. I've already seen one call for some footage.

The media/staff cabin is just like first class. It seems mundane after the other cabins, but since I've never had the pleasure of flying first class, it still seems pretty cool. I can see why those with means fall for its seduction, even for just the hour long flights. And oh yes, the pillows, not the mutant half pillow, but 80% size. Like we're humans. Media in this case is just broadcast media. Print media finds their own way, but the TV and radio folks get to share in the creature comforts.

Each cabin has its pecking order, some hierarchy, but as much as anything, it's like any situation where people have a regular pattern, think choosing desks in a class room or your parking spot at work. And of course, there's some differences based on pure utility, some people just need a specific seat to do their job.

After scoping out the plane, we are joined by the early arrivers, in this case Joel Meyers. My only thought from Joel's conversation is that he's quite the gourmand. He's just running through food options in LA and he gets a twinkle in his eye when he talks about the options in Dallas and San Antonio. You can understand that a good restaurant can change the quality of the trip. Given that Joel's last gig was with San Antonio, he is uncommonly knowledgeable about the territory we'll be entering.

As the players arrive at the plane they drop off their bags and trudge on. Some have carry-ons, others just some comfy clothes. Players aren't required to dress up (since normally no media is present or at least no actively reporting media), but Sasha is still rocking the leather jacket. Of course, he's a man who knows how to deal with a cold grey day. And he'll thank himself when he reaches San Antonio.

The flight is uneventful, in the end it's a plane trip, but there is quality food (you get to choose main course and side dish, oh sweet freedom), lots of DVD players and computers and milk and cookies and warm towels toward the end. If there is such thing as an easy way to fly, we're getting awfully close.

As the buses arrive at the hotel, some media have already gathered and a few fans. Predictably, the throng turns as Kobe walks by, no one else gets much attention.

Some of the players and staff will go out, the regulars have been going to San Antonio twice a year for a while, so they have their favored haunts, others will just chill out and wait for game tomorrow.

Tomorrow we'll be looking into the AT&T Center, talking to our equipment manager, Rudy and then of course, there's the game. One day down . . .

ludda
01-23-2008, 02:34 AM
Lakers lose to us, win against Mavs :)

spurscenter
01-23-2008, 05:22 AM
good stuff

biba
01-24-2008, 04:14 PM
Hey There Was A Game Finally.... and Now We're In Dallas

Published by Nick Kioski | January 24, 2008 @ 2:57am CST
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.nba.com/lakers/news/ontheroad_080122.html

Now we're actually at the game. Sometimes you can almost forget that everything points to this moment. I want to focus on how the game experience is different at the AT&T Center vs. at the STAPLES Center. I found a number of differences, a large number, but keep in mind they're just differences, good or bad is a matter of taste. I have only been to see three (home) teams, Lakers, Suns and Timberwolves, and the last 2 were a long while in the past, so these differences are rather strong to me.

I'll give the AT&T Center this, it's easy to find the media room. Beneath every arena (or those in my limited experience) is a honeycomb of rooms and it's real easy to get lost. I can't say the STAPLES Center is a well labeled building. I guess you could say that each is a maze, but if it's your maze, it's not so bad.

Players arrive, this time it's the Lakers who are decked out in their NBA approved outfits. Gone are the comfy travel clothes we saw on Tuesday, now it's ties and coats and sweaters. The Spurs are already on the floor running through drills and getting in their shoot-around.

In sitting in the arena during the Spurs warm up, something strikes me, a stark difference to how it is at home. Fans are lining the entry tunnel for the Lakers, or lining as in 10 people. A guy walks up and asks about getting a wrist band for the Lakers. At first, I have no idea what he's talking about, I don't recall the Lakers being a ride at the county fair, but then he joins the now 12 person throng with a bag of recently purchased items. I just can't imagine that happening at STAPLES Center. Maybe that's how it works out for the away team and I am always looking away, but man, that seems easy.

It's always interesting to see the game opening. You know it's going to be something that the operations folks put some thought and money into. The Spurs are pretty normal in this regard, loud, dark, booming voice, but nothing over the top. I did like how the Spurs announcer had a tone of complete boredom while introducing the Lakers. He whipped through each player, but not so fast that the fans couldn't rain boos down on Kobe.

The Spurs announcer sets the tone for the overall difference between the game production of the teams. Let's just say that the Spurs guy is not of the understated LT variety of announcer. He booms out everything (except things about the Lakers) and also throws in a little extra info. It's not "Lakers basket", it's "Toooooooonnnnnyyyyy!". Apparently Tony Parker has no last name when he's on the court.

While we're at it, their audio guy is also louder than our audio guy. Everything is a solid 20 decibels louder. And it never stops, all game play has some music or sound effect. I say it's in the background, but it's nothing of the sort. The result is an unrelenting wave of sound pounding you the whole evening. I know the league has specific rules about how and when sound can be played, now I see where the inspiration for those rules came from. By the end of the game, I will have heard every song that begs to be played cranked to 11.

To go with the announcer and the audio is the crowd. They clearly know the drill, they follow all the prompts to cheer (which are many. Many. Many.) Give them credit, they're behind their team. They will also eschew the LA habit of early departure. Later when the score is Spurs by 13 with 3:45 remaining, the departures are barely a trickle. They hold out until the last minute and those people still draw the ire of the hardcore.

In fact, our seats are behind the basket which leaves me a bit disoriented in terms of following the action, and right behind us are the Spurs' Baseline Bums. A whole section of fanatics. Somehow a Lakers fan scored tickets and is wearing the home whites into the section. The booing is constant and the suggestions for the Lakers fan are quite pointed, though nothing over the top.

There are a few other twists in the game performance. The Spurs have a few promotions that run during the longer breaks (this was a national game so the timeouts are extended), which cuts into what would be Laker Girls time at STAPLES. The Spurs also incorporate for one dance the secondary dance group in with their Silver Stars dancers. The Spurs also have a kiss me cam, different music, but otherwise, exactly the same. Or it was until some couple tried to abstain. Not sure of the reason, but the announcer is goading them to kiss. The must take either their kissing or their kiss me cams very seriously here, because he would not let it go.

The Spurs also have a mascot, the Coyote. He does pretty simple stuff, leading the cheers, strutting about. No acrobatics like the Gorilla.

The best is the blimp. I am no fan of the in-arena blimp, but I love how the fans all look and reach up. Simpsons fans will remember the See My Vest episode where the little greyhounds puppies stand up when the socks come over their heads. Those are the fans for the blimp, and not just here it's been that way for every in-arena blimp in memory, they're like little Rory Calhouns to dangling socks.

One other thing I notice about the crowd. They don't trust Tim Duncan to make free throws. The cheering has an undeniable tone of relief when the ball drops through the hoop.

I also took a halftime stroll of the concourse, just to see what I can see. First off, the signs for the bathrooms have little cowboy hats on the typical figures. There are also a fair number of Lakers jerseys. Still in the minority and less than Spurs jerseys, maybe it's the gold that stands out, but the fans are there.

All told, it's simply a different experience. I admit, I still have "Spurs ball" ringing in my ears.

After the game media the is in a mad rush. Both teams are flying out (the Spurs have Miami) and the need for haste is paramount. Then it's a bus ride to the airport, back on to our plane (allow me a moment to gush again about the plane, they have food, good food. I opted for a PB&J while Ty went with the chicken cordon bleu with mashed potatoes, it's not a bad deal) and soon on the ground in Dallas. We get to the hotel around 1:30am and I begin to understand how the travel just feels like a series of hotels, buses and planes with an occasional arena thrown in.

Lakers Pre-Game Full Coverage
Published by Ty Nowell | January 24, 2008 @ 2:22am CST

UPDATE: We had some technical difficulties at the AT&T Center (like only half the media could get on the internet) so we weren't able to post this during the game, but you can check it out now.

The schedule for the team is a little different tonight since tip-off is set for 8pm to accommodate ESPN. Your bags need to be outside of your room at 5:15 so they can be picked up and loaded onto the bus, which is set to leave at 6pm.

We cabbed it ahead of the team so we could get ourselves situated in the building and be ready to tape the team's arrival at the AT&T Center.

It was also the second time today that we were able to our way past the security gate and get dropped off right where we needed to be. I can't imagine this happening at STAPLES Center, but then again, there aren't 20 barns right behind the arena prepping for the biggest rodeo in the country ("the biggest" might be an overstatement, but as I'm a rodeo neophyte I'm sticking with it being true. If you're going to give an NBA team a reason to complain annually, then it's got to be big right. *cough*grammy's*cough)

The team arrived around 6:15 and proceeded to do what I assume is their normal routine, which is slightly different for every player. Check out the video below to get a feel for the pre-game going ons.

Back From Shootaround
Published by Nick Kioski | January 23, 2008 @ 1:06pm CST

UPDATE: We had some technical difficulties at the AT&T Center (like only half the media could get on the internet) so we weren't able to post the locker room setup video earlier. Scroll to the bottom of this post to check it out.

Since the team traveled on an off day, instead of right after another game, it gives the morning an easier more leisurely feel. Get up, catch up on the sports that ended after I went to bed, read: all events in Pacific Time zone, eat breakfast near the coaches as they discuss tonight's game and then get ready for shoot around.

Shoot around is closed to media until the very end, just like a normal practice, so in the meantime we'll be scoping out the Lakers' temporary digs at the AT&T Center.

First off, the AT&T Center is away from the city, actually probably how a visitor to LA would view the Forum, still in the city, but not downtown. In fact, it's off the freeway a bit and you turn a corner and suddenly a big flat spot with 2 huge buildings emerges. Up until then it's just houses and an occasional corner gas station. One of those buildings will hold tonight's game, the other looks like it held a game back in the Naismith days. These grounds are also being set up for the rodeo, so there is a distinct bustle. It's the rodeo that gives the Spurs a monster road trip each year, just like the Lakers and the Grammy's and the Bulls for the . . . well suffice it to say that they have an annual road trip too.

Thanks to all the chaos, we get the surprise taxi drop off inside the arena, and are not forced to stand outside. The chaos is because tonight is a side-by-side broadcast, that means national and local TV (home and away) and each with essentially a full 18 wheeler to hold the gear and their production room for the broadcast. The first things you notice when you get into the bowels of the arena are the bleachers. Bleachers can move and in this case, they can move to let just about anything short of the space shuttle be driven right onto the floor. STAPLES Center doesn't have access of quite that size, it's limited to the size of the tunnels in the corners, which get pretty big (think about the hockey configuration, when the bottom seats are pulled back), but still not quite like this. It is probably by design, given the region and other building uses, but the place comes across as a huge barn. It doesn't have the stack of suites at the place we call home, but it still has a cavernous feeling.

Besides that, it's an arena, big, grey and lots of pipes. And until the bus shuts off, some serious fumes too.

Video From Shootaround
Check out some of today's shootaround as well as interviews with Kobe & Phil. Video
As the players begin their shoot-around, the equipment staff sets up the locker room. It starts out as a grey cinder block room with black lockers and empty hangers. By the end, the huge bags have disgorged themselves to create some semblance of a home away from home. Overall the visitor's locker room, even after the set-up is spartan but effective. I admit I haven't been into the visitor's locker room at STAPLES Center. I am now a bit curious to see how they compare.

Our trainer, Gary Vitti, gets to set up his room, what lately for the Lakers has been the busiest room of all. Clearly the 3 beds were not designed to care for the Lakers of the last 2 seasons. That barely covers the ankle injuries. This season, Chip Schaefer has been staying home to work with the rehabbing players, so it's just Gary, Alex, Marko and Joe on the road. Per NBA rules, the Spurs provide, as every home team provides, a cart of a variety of bandages, tape, band-aids and the lot. We bring our own more specialized machinery.

There is also a tightly spaced training room, just to get guys warmed up.

As quickly as things get set-up, everything is done with an eye on leaving even more quickly tonight. Most of the guys have been doing this for a number of seasons (and even more seasons, just with other teams) so the routine is pretty set.

After shoot-around the media comes in. You'd expect a fair number of media types in LA, we have all our daily newspapers and it's safe to say there's a considerable media presence in the town, but San Antonio, at least for this game, has plenty of media too. Kobe gets the first round of questions. Let me spoil the end for you, it's all the same questions, just now these reporters get to ask instead of those in LA or all the other stops earlier in the season. Check past post practice videos for how Kobe feels about this season, the team's play, Andrew Bynum, the injuries, etc. He is consistent. The questions are slightly tilted to the Spurs, so there are some additional questions about the rivalry, but it's largely the same. Then Phil gets to jump through the same hoops.

After the media clears, it's on to the team bus to the hotel. The players will grab some lunch and begin their personalized afternoon pre-game chill activity. That means naps, in-room movies, and relaxing. Maybe an in-room visit from the training staff to work on some lingering injuries. Call it the calm before the storm.