PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Popovich starting to figure out rotation

THE SIXTH MAN
01-23-2008, 04:40 AM
Spurs: Popovich starting to figure out rotation

Web Posted: 01/22/2008 11:16 PM CST

Mike Monroe
San Antonio Express-News

The Spurs seem a lot like most San Antonians who visit their physicians this time of year.

They wonder if the reason they don't feel good is a result of a serious malady, or just part of living in the allergy capital of America when the mountain cedar pollen is rampant.

As they ready themselves for tonight's game against the Lakers at the AT&T Center (an 8 p.m. tipoff, for the benefit of ESPN), the Spurs understand how nervous they make their fan base during what seems like an annual December-January mini-swoon. Ten losses in the 19 games that preceded tonight's matchup with Kobe Bryant and Co. prompt questions.

"It's funny," says point guard Tony Parker. "When we lose two games in a row in San Antonio, it feels like we've lost 15."

Meanwhile, Dr. Gregg Popovich continues to probe. The Spurs coach is beginning to tire of suggestions that his team, in a basketball sense, may be terminally ill.

He rolled his eyes after Monday afternoon's victory over the Charlotte Bobcats when a Carolina reporter asked him if ending a two-game losing streak felt good.

"It's better than losing," Popovich answered patiently, after a long pause and an audible sigh. "It's always important to win, but we played well in our two losses. It doesn't always mean you're playing badly.

"Losses at this part of the season have never bothered us too much. For a decade now, this is the time of year when we get into a little lull. We just hope we're learning from every game, whether we win or lose."

What Popovich learns each January is how to manage his player rotations, and Monday's game provided further proof that Ime Udoka needs to be a bigger part of the playoff push that will begin with the annual Rodeo Road Trip.

Udoka was signed last summer for the defensive intensity he showed last season in Portland. Quietly, he has been earning more playing time and asserting himself at the offensive end, as well as playing intense defense.

Nobody expected Udoka to fit seamlessly into the Spurs' complicated offensive scheme, least of all Popovich. Lately, though, the coach has seen enough to judge Udoka a quick study worthy of more time.

"Ime has been doing a good job," he said. "He's really starting to feel comfortable with the system. He's really solid defensively, and offensively he's starting to figure out where to be and where to go. He's definitely helped us."

Udoka admits he was lost on the offensive end most of the first six weeks of the regular season, when he averaged fewer than 10 minutes a game.

Lately, his comfort level is better.

"It's night and day," he said. "It's clicking. Pop can do those nonverbal hand signals, and I can pick that up right away instead of having to stop and think for a minute where I'm supposed to be.

"The guys are helping me a great deal. I know where I should be — where I can get shots, where guys are going to draw double-teams. It's much easier, and I'm feeling way more comfortable."

Udoka's defensive versatility is nearly as broad as Bruce Bowen's, though he has yet to defend point guards. He took defensive turns on both of Charlotte's top scorers Monday, helping to limit both Gerald Wallace and Jason Richardson to 5-for-18 shooting performances.

When Bowen needs a rest tonight, Udoka is most likely to get the defensive assignment on Bryant.

If Udoka's playing time increases — he has averaged 16 minutes in the nine games he has played in January — Popovich has to determine at whose expense such time comes.

The coach says he is getting close to an answer.

"Yes," Popovich said, "I'm able to get more definitive about who's going to get the most minutes and who's going to sit a little more."

[email protected]

link (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA012308.SpursAdvance.en.29f1fd6.html)

Bruno
01-23-2008, 05:47 AM
more Udoka = more small ball
When Udoka played in a small ball lineup, he averages 8.4 rebounds per 48 minutes. It's far from being great but it's still better than what Spurs usually have as "small ball PF".

Spurs are playing this year way more small ball than years before. Whether you like it or hate it, this year looks like "the small ball year" for Spurs.

mountainballer
01-23-2008, 07:25 AM
what is Monroe talking about?
the increase of Ime's PT isn't a result of a change in Pop's rotation, it's just a result of Barry's injury.
Pop plays a 4 men rotation at the wings, as he did for a decade. he's not going to make it a 5 men rotation. if some more minutes for the wings are available, it's just because of more small ball (as mentioned) and that's a result of the struggle of most of our bigs.
I like Ime and I like his improvement, but I don't see him "stealing" minutes of the other wings.
btw. Pop should think about repleacing Finley with Ime and play Finley only as the small ball PF in some situations. overall Ime would be more effective than Finley IMO and the perimeter defense of the Spurs can use an upgrade quite well. (considering it usually is top of the league, but currently it's just average)

SouthernFried
01-23-2008, 08:55 AM
I dunno...Finley's been playing the best Defense of his life lately. 2 blocks against Gerald Wallace in the last game alone.

Let me repeat that, Finley had 2 blocked shots...in one game.

I've always dogged Finley for his defense, but the man has shut me up completely.

thousandth
01-23-2008, 09:00 AM
When Udoka played in a small ball lineup, he averages 8.4 rebounds per 48 minutes. It's far from being great but it's still better than what Spurs usually have as "small ball PF".

Spurs are playing this year way more small ball than years before. Whether you like it or hate it, this year looks like "the small ball year" for Spurs.

If the Spurs poor rebounding numbers is a problem, small ball isn't the answer. Is much better 8,4 rebounds per 48 minutes than 12,9 rp48m (Oberto http://www.nba.com/playerfile/fabricio_oberto/career_stats.html (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/fabricio_oberto/career_stats.html))
Duncan for all, offensive, defensive, protect the glass, playing 38 minutes in regular season? please. Pop gives him a break and some help in the paint?.Sucked me right in. The small balls it's the only answer?.
All right, bro.It helps not to panic.

Ghost Writer
01-23-2008, 09:43 AM
I don't mind giving Udoku a little more burn at this point.

What really concerns me is what I mentioned in another thread.

We have redundant skill sets in the rotation:

Horry/Bonner = tall 3-point shooters
Finley/Barry = veteran 3-point shooters
Elson/Oberto = scrappy rebounding PF/Cs

That's a lot of overlap.

What's more alarming is that when you have Bowen and Vaughn on the floor, you better hope their defense holds, because all you're going to get on offense is the occasional 3.

When I think of this team, outside of the Big 3 (Duncan, Ginobili, Parker), who is capable of putting the ball on the floor and creating his own shot. I'm talking a mid-range jumper, a drive to the hoop, a fadeaway on the baseline, etc.

In other words, most of the bench consists of 3-point shooters and/or guys who can't create anymore or never could in the first place.

I'd like to see Udoku or someone on this team bring some creativity outside the block and within the 3-point line.

I think a swingman or point guard that can create off the dribble would open a lot up for this team and keep defenses honest.

polandprzem
01-23-2008, 09:45 AM

Ithought the same. Plus Popovich may sign Richardson, not to lose him as a part of addition in the off season. That ean there will be hard time for Elson Bonner and Elson. Just one of them then will be in 9-man rotation.
It is always better to play the best players then the best man on the strict positions.

As for Udoka as PF - well yup, he is better then Fin consideration the playoff play. And it was being seen at the begining of a season. It was to me a matter of how fast Udoka will learn the system. (Damn in san antonio players need to learn the system- in Boston they are not spending on that year or two :rolleyes) )

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-23-2008, 12:12 PM
I guess having a guy on a 10-day in your starting lineup shows your rotation is rounding into form. :tu

T Park
01-23-2008, 12:23 PM
Ghost,

why all of a sudden after 3 rings in 5 years, is the skillset not the right one to win?

Those player's skill sets, are the reason this team is a dynasty. COme on.

wildbill2u
01-23-2008, 12:33 PM
I guess having a guy on a 10-day in your starting lineup shows your rotation is rounding into form. :tu
Gotta be one of Pop's little CIA jokes--or maybe he was telling the truth when he said he just wanted to get a good look at Richardson and throwing him into the fire was the way to do it.

timvp
01-23-2008, 12:39 PM
Udoka's defensive versatility is nearly as broad as Bruce Bowen's, though he has yet to defend point guards.Udoka has defended many point guards, most namely Baron Davis. That is one of the more exciting things about him -- that he can guard a lot of positions on the floor.

I'm really interested in the decisions Pop will make regarding his rotations. By playoff time last year, Pop had a very consistent pecking order. It was a 10-man rotation that he'd shorten to an 8-man rotation when need be by cutting away Barry and Elson.

This year, there are seven players with a guaranteed spot in the rotation (Duncan, Ginobili, Parker, Bowen, Oberto, Finley and Vaughn). Then out of the three remaining bigmen, Pop needs to figure out a pecking order for Horry, Bonner and Elson. The same hold true for the final swingman position between Barry and Udoka. That's some rather nice competition on a 12-man roster.

I just can't imagine a rotation that features five swingmen, so it's going to be interesting to see if Barry or Udoka become the casualty. That's a close call because Pop would be more comfortable with Udoka's defense but Barry is the known commodity. As far as the bigmen, it basically comes down to whether Horry can convince the coaches that he has another playoff's worth of gas in the tank. If not, Bonner gets elevated. Oddly enough, Elson's job as the backup center might be relatively safe because he can do things Bonner and Horry can't do.

Southwest Texas Fan
01-23-2008, 01:07 PM
Timvp if you chose Udoka over Barry aren't you losing some offense. He seems to throw the right pass especially when the offense goes stagnant. On the other hand Udoka can be used, as you mentioned, to defend different positions. Who do you think pop will go with?

timvp
01-23-2008, 01:11 PM
Timvp if you chose Udoka over Barry aren't you losing some offense. He seems to throw the right pass especially when the offense goes stagnant. On the other hand Udoka can be used, as you mentioned, to defend different positions. Who do you think pop will go with?My guess will is that Pop will stick with Barry. But he won't hesitate to use Udoka for defensive purposes. All things being equal, I think Pop would go with Udoka because Udoka is a Pop type player. However Barry has been here longer and would really have to screw up to lose his spot as the team's fourth wing.

Ghost Writer
01-23-2008, 01:17 PM
T Park, Duncan and then Parker and Ginobili are the reason for the dynasty.

Wake up.

Southwest Texas Fan
01-23-2008, 01:17 PM
My guess will is that Pop will stick with Barry. But he won't hesitate to use Udoka for defensive purposes. All things being equal, I think Pop would go with Udoka because Udoka is a Pop type player. However Barry has been here longer and would really have to screw up to lose his spot as the team's fourth wing.

Would it be far fetched to use Barry as the backup PG and insert Udoka?

timvp
01-23-2008, 01:18 PM
Would it be far fetched to use Barry as the backup PG and insert Udoka?Yeah because Pop as a man crush on Vaughn.

GrandeDavid
01-23-2008, 01:26 PM
Yeah because Pop as a man crush on Vaughn.

Yikes! :lol

T Park
01-23-2008, 01:28 PM
Only because he plays hardnosed defense, is solid at bringing the ball up the court, and does the right things.

I dont see whats to hate about Vaughn.

FromWayDowntown
01-23-2008, 01:31 PM
Vaughn does the things that Pop wants most in a backup PG. They're not sexy things, but he does play defense, he does hustle and battle, and he makes relatively few mistakes in playing his role.

I will say, though, that the team seems to have gotten a boost from Barry's return. I might just be imagining it, but there does appear to be a bit more movement and push to the Spurs when Barry plays.

Whisky Dog
01-23-2008, 01:34 PM
I think a lot of Udoka's minutes will be determined by how much Bowen has left in the tank by seasons end. If Bowen is still the guy we all know, then Udoka will get spot minutes in relief or against a team he matches up with better than Barry.

Ghost Writer
01-23-2008, 01:37 PM
Vaughn can't score. I see that as a weakness.

FromWayDowntown
01-23-2008, 01:54 PM

This comes after a few years in which the Spurs have tried to find backup points who could score but had other holes in their games.

As between a backup point who can score but can't defend and a backup point who can't score but will defend, I think Pop understandably prefers the latter.

SenorSpur
01-23-2008, 01:56 PM
This comes after a few years in which the Spurs have tried to find backup points who could score but had other holes in their games.

As between a backup point who can score but can't defend and a backup point who can't score but will defend, I think Pop understandably prefers the latter.

....or one that was so old that he could no longer do either - NVE. :bang

FromWayDowntown
01-23-2008, 02:03 PM
....or one that was so old that he could no longer do either - NVE. :bang

I think there's little doubt that the Beno Udrih and Nick Van Exel experiments have led directly to the Jacque Vaughn Experience in San Antonio.

Ghost Writer
01-23-2008, 02:05 PM
I hate one-dimensional players. Period.

It's amazing how our former backups have blossomed outside of San Antonio, such as Beno and A. Carter.

Or how others' completely lost their game upon coming to the Spurs, like Van Exel and Charlie Ward.

Remember Speedy Claxton?

Just give me one decent backup PG that can play a little on both sides of the ball.

T Park
01-23-2008, 02:05 PM

This aint the SUns.

They don't need a popdamn scorer at every position.

T Park
01-23-2008, 02:06 PM
Remember Speedy Claxton?

a quite often injured point guard who had a couple decent playoff games.

Whats your point?

It's amazing how our former backups have blossomed outside of San Antonio, such as Beno and A. Carter.

You said when they signed A Carter he sucked, now hes good?

Make up your mind.

FromWayDowntown
01-23-2008, 02:10 PM
Yeah, I can live with a steady but unspectacular hand like Vaughn playing the backup point here in the absence of a real upgrade at that spot.

The question is, however, can you point me to a real upgrade?

Ghost Writer
01-23-2008, 02:20 PM
Sam Cassell.

T Park, those were called "observations." You'll know when I am making a point.

Kill yourself.

phxspurfan
01-23-2008, 03:22 PM
Steve Blake?

remingtonbo2001
01-23-2008, 03:45 PM
Sam Cassell.

You were disapointed with the developments of Nick Van Exel and Charlie Ward, yet you want to bring in Cassell.

Call me crazy, but I'll take Vaughn over Cassell at this point in the season. Vaughn's offensive production is slowly coming along, which is a definite plus.
His defense is stellar. It's like a Mini-Me-Bowen. We need Tony to produce at 100%, which I think he will be capable of come early March. Pop also needs to set the rotation, which usually occurs after RRT. I think a trade wouldn't really help us out at this point. Every player is capable of contributing, it's just a matter of putting the pieces together. I feel like I've discussed this at length before.

I was hoping Elson would've picked up the system this season, but so far he hasn't. It's a shame to see athletic ability not being put to good use. I will remain hopeful, that maybe he'll see the light and everything will start clicking.

Really, we just need to improve and maintain our health and everything else will fall in place.

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-23-2008, 07:13 PM
This aint the SUns.

They don't need a popdamn scorer at every position.

You're right, our offense looks great when we have Manu out there with Vaughn, Bowen, Elson, and Bonner. Barry in for Vaughn would be dumb.

SequSpur
01-23-2008, 07:37 PM
Outside of Parker, Duncan and Ginobili, the whole got damn team is one dimensional. What planet did you just land from? Vaughn sucks. Elson sucks. Bonner sucks. Bowen sucks. Udoka is weak. Barry is erratic. Finley is just being mavfinley again. WTF? Horry is terrible. Oberto is a floppin wuss. Must I go on? Shit, I don't see how they win any games.