PDA

View Full Version : Where In The World Is Osama Bin Laden?

tlongII
01-23-2008, 11:04 AM
Remember Morgan Spurlock? He sent McDonald’s into a tailspin a couple of years ago with his "Super Size Me" documentary. The sight of him vomiting in his car after eating a Happy Meal left a lasting impression.

Now Spurlock is back with a controversial new documentary that was screened to cheers on Monday night at Sundance. "Where in the World is Osama bin Laden?" takes Spurlock on a mission to do what the U.S. government has not been able to so far: Find the infamous, evil terrorist.

Spurlock traveled to Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Israel, Egypt and Morocco, interviewing dozens of people from school children to bin Laden family friends. The work was extensive, much deeper and more textured than anything I’ve seen on network news shows.

Indeed, Spurlock travels to bin Laden’s former farm, now a group of abandoned huts in Pakistan. He even goes into one of those caves we keep hearing about, a likely spot where the maniacal architect of Sept. 11 could be hiding. He’s shot at, bullied and reprimanded. Spurlock even had his cameras shut down. But still he persisted.

The result of "Where in the World is Osama bin Laden?" is extraordinary. Along the way, his meetings with regular people — man-in-the-street-type stuff — in those aforementioned countries are superb.

The most memorable may be with two Saudi high school kids who can only be interviewed with supervisors in the room. They look like hostage victims as they respond to Spurlock’s questions about their freedom and culture; a lot is said in their eyes. Quickly, though, the interview is shut down when the questions get even slightly political.

Saudia Arabia is not the only Middle East country where Spurlock has trouble. In the Hasidic neighborhood of Tel Aviv, he’s taunted and shoved. An old man pushes him away. They are not welcome. Spurlock was actually more welcome on the Gaza Strip, where people were interested in speaking to him. More or less divided treatment greets him in other countries.

At the Q&A session on Monday night, I asked Spurlock if his Saudi guide — who was in the audience on his first trip to the U.S. — had been scared when they were filming. The man in question took the mike and answered: "to death." You get the picture.

"Where in the World?" is not just a history or political lesson. It’s full of Spurlock’s humor and is leavened by a little bit of personal story. His wife became pregnant two months into the project, and she forbade trips to Iran or Iraq. Just as he did in "Super Size Me," Spurlock uses that intimacy to make us care about his admirable adventure.

Sounds like a great flick!

Viva Las Espuelas
01-23-2008, 11:20 AM
i've said it here before, we know exactly where this towel-head is at. you can't tell me we can find saddam in a foxhole and read a license plate from outer space and we can't find this guy. i just don't buy. i don't know what, why, or how. all i can say is the government is probably adopting the ways of Big Pharma. there's no money in the cure.

TDMVPDPOY
01-23-2008, 11:21 AM
if you cant even find wtf is carmen san diego, how are u expect to find laden

nkdlunch
01-23-2008, 11:24 AM
what if he went to a city with no mcdonalds around? would he starve himself?

Dex
01-23-2008, 11:24 AM
if you cant even find wtf is carmen san diego, how are u expect to find laden

It would help if he was wearing a big red trenchcoat.

xrayzebra
01-23-2008, 11:27 AM
Knowing and getting him are two different things.

clambake
01-23-2008, 11:34 AM
old man bullshit alert!!!

nkdlunch
01-23-2008, 11:36 AM

yup. Bush knows him but will never get him

spurs_fan_in_exile
01-23-2008, 11:37 AM
The only lasting impression I got from him hacking up his Happy Meal was that this guy was a little bitch.

Still, this sounds interesting.

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-23-2008, 11:54 AM
I think he sold me a Slurpee last night.

BonnerDynasty
01-23-2008, 11:58 AM
It's not as easy to find these people when they don't wear big red coats.

Everyone knows this...

edit: Damnit Dex!

ATRAIN
01-23-2008, 12:00 PM
Cue the OSB troll!!

TDMVPDPOY
01-23-2008, 12:16 PM
found her

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/DamienChild/untitled.jpg

Sportcamper
01-23-2008, 01:12 PM

Didn’t we have a drone war-plane, with bombing capabilities, hovering over his head for like a ½ hour a few years back?

lefty
01-23-2008, 02:15 PM
He is in a studio belonging to the CIA somewhere in Washington, waiting to shoot the next tape.

spurs_fan_in_exile
01-23-2008, 05:11 PM
He is in a studio belonging to the CIA somewhere in Washington, waiting to shoot the next tape.
Has he released one since the writers' strike began? Hmmmmm.....

marini martini
01-23-2008, 06:00 PM
He's living in Terrel Hills, in the mansion surrounded by l5' high brick fence at Garraty & Eldon!

lefty
01-23-2008, 06:14 PM
Has he released one since the writers' strike began? Hmmmmm.....

Good one

devilsmaster
01-24-2008, 06:50 AM
Before posting to this thread i thought here is something going serious but after reading all posts u ppl make me much laugh.Thanks a lot.

peewee's lovechild
01-24-2008, 12:08 PM
Dick Cheney has him in his basement.

He will be released for all to see right before elections.
The Republican Party will rule once more.

peewee's lovechild
01-24-2008, 12:10 PM
I also think Dick Cheney spends his nights butt sexing Osama and the prophet Muhammad (sp).

It's how he gets his "release".

lefty
01-24-2008, 12:34 PM
http://houston.indymedia.org/uploads/2004/05/023.jpgmid.jpg

Extra Stout
01-24-2008, 12:42 PM
http://houston.indymedia.org/uploads/2004/05/023.jpgmid.jpg
I know in Canada most men do that during their lunchbreak in the conference room, but in the USA, that picture is considered NSFW.

peewee's lovechild
01-24-2008, 12:44 PM
Bush isn't smiling on that picture.

I would think that he'd be loving it.

xrayzebra
01-24-2008, 03:32 PM
Didn’t we have a drone war-plane, with bombing capabilities, hovering over his head for like a ½ hour a few years back?

Yeah, but Bill was afraid it would piss someone off if he
off'd him. And he was counselling an intern at the
time and couldn't make the decision.

BonnerDynasty
01-24-2008, 10:48 PM
lmao...

Wasn't expecting to see that. hhahaha