PDA

View Full Version : Terry-Maggette Trade Almost Happened

ludda
01-23-2008, 01:54 PM
From LA Times:

Dunleavy thought he had a deal with Dallas in the summer to trade Corey Maggette, eligible for free agency after this season, for guard Jason Terry. But Sterling, who has said he will not meddle in player personnel but who has always professed a desire to keep Maggette in a Clippers uniform, refused to approve the trade.

Dunleavy also wanted to sign former San Antonio free-agent guard Beno Udrih, but the Clippers' bean counter, Andy Roeser, decided Udrih wasn't worth the money it would take to sign him.

Dunleavy said he thought Baylor was in agreement on both deals, but couldn't recall for sure. He suggested calling Baylor.

"We discussed those deals and Dunleavy knows that," Baylor said. "Once I knew Maggette wanted to be here and I believed we could sign Maggette [at the end of this season], I wanted to keep him here."

As for Udrih, Baylor said, "It didn't make a difference to me" whether the Clippers signed him.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
"In the past, Dunleavy has questioned Maggette's defensive play. And last summer Dunleavy tried to trade him for the Dallas Mavericks' Jason Terry over concerns that Maggette would opt out of his contract and become a free agent after this season, leaving behind the final year of his contract worth $7 million."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/clippers/la-sp-clippers23jan23,1,4697108.story?coll=la-headlines-sports-nba-clippe&ctrack=1&cset=true

Looks like Mavs are still stuck with Terry!

monosylab1k
01-23-2008, 01:55 PM
motherfucker!

lefty
01-23-2008, 01:55 PM
From LA Times:

Dunleavy thought he had a deal with Dallas in the summer to trade Corey Maggette, eligible for free agency after this season, for guard Jason Terry. But Sterling, who has said he will not meddle in player personnel but who has always professed a desire to keep Maggette in a Clippers uniform, refused to approve the trade.

Dunleavy also wanted to sign former San Antonio free-agent guard Beno Udrih, but the Clippers' bean counter, Andy Roeser, decided Udrih wasn't worth the money it would take to sign him.

Dunleavy said he thought Baylor was in agreement on both deals, but couldn't recall for sure. He suggested calling Baylor.

"We discussed those deals and Dunleavy knows that," Baylor said. "Once I knew Maggette wanted to be here and I believed we could sign Maggette [at the end of this season], I wanted to keep him here."

As for Udrih, Baylor said, "It didn't make a difference to me" whether the Clippers signed him.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
"In the past, Dunleavy has questioned Maggette's defensive play. And last summer Dunleavy tried to trade him for the Dallas Mavericks' Jason Terry over concerns that Maggette would opt out of his contract and become a free agent after this season, leaving behind the final year of his contract worth $7 million."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/clippers/la-sp-clippers23jan23,1,4697108.story?coll=la-headlines-sports-nba-clippe&ctrack=1&cset=true

Looks like Mavs are still stuck with Terry!

:lol

DazedAndConfused
01-23-2008, 02:45 PM
The Clippers are in complete disarray

JamStone
01-23-2008, 02:50 PM
The Clippers are in complete disarray

Disagree. I think they're sitting pretty.

They know they're not going to do shit this year. They've developed Chris Kaman into one of the best young centers in the league which can only help the team in the next few years. They have plenty of time to give to a player like Al Thornton for him to also develop and mature. And, they're losing games which is good so they should again be in position with a high first round lottery pick to add players like Derrick Rose or OJ Mayo as well as bringing back Elton Brand and Shaun Livingston. They are doing well to compete while still developing the young talent and still losing.

baseline bum
01-23-2008, 03:01 PM
Shit, Dallas got cheap. Where would Magette fit in there? He's nowhere near as good a SF as Josh Howard is, and he's not much of an upgrade over Stackhouse (if at all, considering Stackhouse has much better range).

The Clippers desperately need a point guard with Cassell nearing retirement and Livingston likely being a shell of his former self when he returns. The Clippers badly need three point shooting also, and Terry is 43% from the arc. Plus, Terry is an assassin late in games, another thing the Clippers will not have when E.T. retires. Al Thornton looks like a very solid prospect who could start at the three.

To me this was a no-brainer for the Clippers. Fucking Sterling and his cheapness screw the team again.

stretch
01-23-2008, 03:12 PM
Geez, I would have definitely done this. We needed an athletic scorer who can drive and slash all game long, and get to the line, but also has enough range to hit the 3. I think he would have been perfect in Dallas as a 6th man.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-23-2008, 03:35 PM
you guys would've done terry for maggette?

I would rather have terry, if anything, I think maggette is somewhat overrated though a solid player

timvp
01-23-2008, 03:59 PM
Terry has always played well against the Spurs. Even back to his days with the Hawks when he hit a game winner to beat the Spurs.

He might choke against some teams but he's nails against the Spurs. Too bad he wasn't traded.

lefty
01-23-2008, 04:11 PM
Geez, I would have definitely done this. We needed an athletic scorer who can drive and slash all game long, and get to the line, but also has enough range to hit the 3. I think he would have been perfect in Dallas as a 6th man.

IF Maggette is willing to start on the bench...

ShoogarBear
01-23-2008, 04:12 PM
What the H are you going to do with Maggette AND Stackhouse?

stretch
01-23-2008, 04:15 PM
you guys would've done terry for maggette?

I would rather have terry, if anything, I think maggette is somewhat overrated though a solid player
I think Maggette gives us what we need off the bench. Athleticism, and scoring through driving, slashing, and free-throws.

dirk4mvp
01-23-2008, 05:17 PM
What the H are you going to do with Maggette AND Stackhouse?

Average the most bad shot attempts per game in the league.

ludda
01-23-2008, 05:24 PM
Maggette is better than brickhouse. He provides a different game than all the soft jumpshooters on the Mavs and actually consistently slashes to the basket instead of lounging around the perimeter, something I could see Avery wanting. I don't think its a bad deal for both sides, though I may be biased since I think Terry is overrated.

endrity
01-23-2008, 06:24 PM
This would have been great for dallas. For 2-3 years our weakness is the 2 position. Hell we are praising Eddie Jones for playing 20 minutes, and hitting a 3pointer a game. Maggette would have been the 3-4 option which means he would have had more room to operate. Stackhouse and Terry have both improved their shot selection while in Dallas, so I think Maggette coud have done the same. Plus he gets to the FT line so much, which in Dallas is a big surplus. We get to jumper happy as a team at times. And I think Maggette could be a very good defender if he digs down. Harris is the point guard of the team, and will be for 8-10 years, so if Terry leaves now he can still get us something in return.

DazedAndConfused
01-23-2008, 07:28 PM
The Clippers have an insane man-love for Magette that I will never understand. He's not going anywhere in any reasonable sort of trade.

sribb43
01-23-2008, 08:20 PM
Maggette wouldnt want to come off the bench..i remember last yr or the year before he was disgruntled with the fact that he was coming off the bench. Remember all those trade rumors involving him 1-2 yrs ago